J

Jadzia

Name is from Star Trek. I'm not from E. Europe
May 8, 2019
I'm stuck in bed all day every day due to chronic illness. I'm too unwell to watch TV shows very often so spend a great deal of time listening to audio books.

What audio books do you recommend that have great narrators? TIA

• Love
  • Hugs
Reactions: aleph_zero, Alayna and Endex
Rounded Apathy

Rounded Apathy

Longing to return to stardust
Aug 8, 2022
Donald Sutherland's narration of Hemmingway's The Old Man and the Sea is a marvel. Short, but oh so sweet.

Reactions: Jadzia and Endex
Endex

Endex

Magic bus
Jun 13, 2022
The Outpost by Jake Tapper, narrated by Rob Shapiro. As usual the book is far far better than the movie. šŸ‘

Reactions: Jadzia
Endex

Endex

Magic bus
Jun 13, 2022
Just thought of another couple of Audio books on Audible. Into the wild by Jon Krakauer, narrated by Philip Franklin.
Also, Touching the Void by Joe Simpson, narrated by Daniel Weyman and another chap who's name I can't find.

Alayna

Alayna

Close
Oct 11, 2022
Ooo, are you acquainted with Borges? 'Labyrinths' is maybe my favouritest book ever. Modern myths to get your imagination lost in, short story form for digestibility. Always worth a relisten too.

The audiobook version I have is narrated by Henry Strozier, who does an alright enough job, haven't checked Audible's Dominic Keating but it would take a lot to ruin this experience.

----------------------------

Also Tove Jannson's 'Comet in Moominland' (narr. Hugh Dennis) for a cute, childlike flight of fancy.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jadzia, aleph_zero and Endex
A

aleph_zero

Sep 6, 2022
"The consolation of philosophy" by Boethius

I also liked this version of Dostoevsky's "Notes from the underground"

I can't think of many works of fiction I'd recommend as I haven't read/listened to any in a very long time.

The audiobook version I have is narrated by Henry Strozier, who does an alright enough job, haven't checked Audible's Dominic Keating but it would take a lot to ruin this experience.
Oh I've been meaning to read some Borges lately. I read about his interest in Spinoza recently and it peaked my interest for some reason. Mind sharing where you got the audiobook? I can't seem to find that particular version.

I'm also not a fan of audible as it's quite pricey given the fact that they offer you a single credit per month, so I switched to Scribd recently but it doesn't have the book unfortunately

• Love
Reactions: Alayna
J

Jadzia

Name is from Star Trek. I'm not from E. Europe
May 8, 2019
"The consolation of philosophy" by Boethius

I also liked this version of Dostoevsky's "Notes from the underground"

I can't think of many works of fiction I'd recommend as I haven't read/listened to any in a very long time.

Oh I've been meaning to read some Borges lately. I read about his interest in Spinoza recently and it peaked my interest for some reason. Mind sharing where you got the audiobook? I can't seem to find that particular version.

I'm also not a fan of audible as it's quite pricey given the fact that they offer you a single credit per month, so I switched to Scribd recently but it doesn't have the book unfortunately
There are different memberships with Audible but they dont advertise that well. In the UK I pay Ā£109 for 24 credits a year that i get all in one go once a year. You can send a limited number of books back for a refund if you're not enjoying them. Members also have access to the Audible Plus catalogue where you can borrow books like a library. Also, members have access to buying books cheaply in the sales that Audible has regularly.

Reactions: aleph_zero
A

aleph_zero

Sep 6, 2022
There are different memberships with Audible but they dont advertise that well. In the UK I pay Ā£109 for 24 credits a year that i get all in one go once a year. You can send a limited number of books back for a refund if you're not enjoying them. Members also have access to the Audible Plus catalogue where you can borrow books like a library. Also, members have access to buying books cheaply in the sales that Audible has regularly.
Oh I see, that's a much better deal. I'd also much rather have the option to pick up books at my will instead of having to wait for the next credit. I make bad choices all the time and don't wanna be committed to them.