• Hey Guest,

If you would still like to donate, you still can. We have more than enough funds to cover operating expenses for quite a while, so don't worry about donating if you aren't able. If you want to donate something other than what is listed, you can contact RainAndSadness.

Bitcoin Address (BTC): 39deg9i6Zp1GdrwyKkqZU6rAbsEspvLBJt

Ethereum (ETH): 0xd799aF8E2e5cEd14cdb344e6D6A9f18011B79BE9

Monero (XMR): 49tuJbzxwVPUhhDjzz6H222Kh8baKe6rDEsXgE617DVSDD8UKNaXvKNU8dEVRTAFH9Av8gKkn4jDzVGF25snJgNfUfKKNC8

U

Ulisses

Arcanist
Feb 21, 2020
any country that does assisted suicide, without one of the requirements being a terminal illness?

Reactions: jakaranda3 and Superdeterminist
N

Nolove4me

Aug 26, 2020
Following this for sure! Maybe we should start an underground support group amongst ourselves

• Hugs
Reactions: Ulisses
E

endoftheroad22

Jul 24, 2020
any country that does assisted suicide, without one of the requirements being a terminal illness?
Belgium and Canada (province of Quebec) as far as I know allow it. However, there are a lot of hoops to jump through. In addition, mental illness is not grounds for assisted dying in Canada.

U

Ulisses

Arcanist
Feb 21, 2020
problems research the countries that make assisted suicide, the requirement and a terminal or degenerative illness that take away the individual's autonomy. none where the individual has depression or deteriorating mental health.

L

LittleJem

Visionary
Jul 3, 2019
someone posted a video in the chat of a 24 year old with mental health issues who was granted assisted dying in Belgium. However, the acceptance process took around 2 years and lots of meetings with doctors - and I guess you need to be resident there. The method sounded sooooo good. It is one injection to put you to sleep, then a second one to kill you. Jealous me.

Reactions: NeverGrowUp and Ulisses
Mud.

Mud.

Arcanist
Oct 27, 2018
problems research the countries that make assisted suicide, the requirement and a terminal or degenerative illness that take away the individual's autonomy. none where the individual has depression or deteriorating mental health.
This is not true.

In the Netherlands someone whose mentally ill can get euthanasia.
The process takes (much) longer than it takes for someone who is terminally ill or for someone who has a chronical physical illness, but it's not unique at all.
It's just as lawful.

A respected member here received euthanasia on mental grounds this April.

I believe the process took 18 months. Part of the reason it took so long was because they wanted to be 100% sure that his depression wasn't going through a long 'down' period.

I'm Dutch and I have a chronical physical illness. Although I've planned/decided to keep all cards in my own hand (I have N) I know I could get assisted suicide too. I've talked about it with my neurologists and doctors. I have their support and my file speaks for itself but even if I would decide to take the legal route, it would still take something like 6 months. There's a waiting list. Not all doctors are pro-choice and the ones that are, volunteer to assist. For them it's a process too.

• Hugs
Reactions: Neville1, AlexF and Ulisses
U

Ulisses

Arcanist
Feb 21, 2020
This is not true.

The process takes (much) longer than it takes for someone who is terminally ill or for someone who has a chronical physical illness, but it's not unique at all.
It's just as lawful.

I believe the process took 18 months. Part of the reason it took so long was because they wanted to be 100% sure that his depression wasn't going through a long 'down' period.

I'm Dutch and I have a chronical physical illness. Although I've planned/decided to keep all cards in my own hand (I have N) I know I could get assisted suicide too. I've talked about it with my neurologists and doctors. I have their support and my file speaks for itself but even if I would decide to take the legal route, it would still take something like 6 months. There's a waiting list. Not all doctors are pro-choice and the ones that are, volunteer to assist. For them it's a process too.
thank you very much for that enlightening comment. what does the institution that does assisted suicide call?

Mud.

Mud.

Arcanist
Oct 27, 2018
thank you very much for that enlightening comment. what does the institution that does assisted suicide call?
That's the difference between the Dutch system and the organizations in Switzerland. There are no ctb doctors. There's no central hub. There's an euthanasia law. Your own doctor is allowed to do it.

The law states the following conditions.

1. The request must be well thought out and it must be done completely voluntarily.

2. The suffering must be hopeless and without end.

3. The doctor is forced by law(!) to check as thoroughly as possible if the patient understands the implications of his request and if he/she has thought them true with a clear mind. (Hence the longer waiting time for people with mental issues.)

4. A doctor that has no connection with the patient has to review the complete request made by the patient and the doctor who's going to assist. He/she must agree. (In almost all cases, the independent doctor complies.)

5- And then there's the euthanasia law that deals with how the drugs should be administered, etc.

Here's some more information about the law in English: https://www.government.nl/topics/euthanasia/is-euthanasia-allowed

• Love
Reactions: Wrennie, sadgirl9999 and Ulisses
A

AlexF

Aug 28, 2020
This is not true.

It's just as lawful.

Do you know if it is possible for a foreigner to request assisted suicide in the Netherlands under these conditions (mental illness)?
Thank you very much and stay well.

U

Ulisses

Arcanist
Feb 21, 2020
Do you know if it is possible for a foreigner to request assisted suicide in the Netherlands under these conditions (mental illness)?
Thank you very much and stay well.

this link explains how it works for non-residents

A

AlexF

Aug 28, 2020

this link explains how it works for non-residents
Thank you so much!