• Hey Guest,

If you would still like to donate, you still can. We have more than enough funds to cover operating expenses for quite a while, so don't worry about donating if you aren't able. If you want to donate something other than what is listed, you can contact RainAndSadness.

Bitcoin Address (BTC): 39deg9i6Zp1GdrwyKkqZU6rAbsEspvLBJt

Ethereum (ETH): 0xd799aF8E2e5cEd14cdb344e6D6A9f18011B79BE9

Monero (XMR): 49tuJbzxwVPUhhDjzz6H222Kh8baKe6rDEsXgE617DVSDD8UKNaXvKNU8dEVRTAFH9Av8gKkn4jDzVGF25snJgNfUfKKNC8

I

IDontKnowWhatToSay

Jul 27, 2021
I read that in Belgium assisted suicide is extended to people with severe depression.

I would like to look into this in more detail, but I am not having a lot of luck with my DuckDuckGo searches.

Anyone have any experience with this? Have applied themselves or know how the process works?

I really would like to die, but I am SO afraid of botching it and surviving, I would never dare do it unless success was guaranteed.

Edit: found the website. Haven't looked at it in detail yet as I'm at work, but in case someone else finds it useful.
It's in Dutch

Last edited:
fruit-loops

fruit-loops

Student
Jun 27, 2021
Wow, that is very interesting, thank you! Where did you read that they also actually accept people with severe depression?

H

HopelessFight

Warlock
Jan 31, 2021
I have posted this so many times already on this forum: no, you cannot get euthanasia for mental illnesses as a foreigner in Belgium. Even for residents it's very rare, for foreigners it's only possible on paper.

Vonkel, the main organization handling euthanasia requests for mental illnesses, put in their yearly report they never accepted a case from abroad because it's too complicated.

• Aww..
Reactions: Winklemate, RainAndSadness, fruit-loops and 1 other person
I

IDontKnowWhatToSay

Jul 27, 2021
I have posted this so many times already on this forum: no, you cannot get euthanasia for mental illnesses as a foreigner in Belgium. Even for residents it's very rare, for foreigners it's only possible on paper.

Vonkel, the main organization handling euthanasia requests for mental illnesses, put in their yearly report they never accepted a case from abroad because it's too complicated.
Thanks for the input! I thought maybe since I'm getting my nationality next year they may accept.

good to know it's not really a thing for foreigners :(

H

HopelessFight

Warlock
Jan 31, 2021
Well, if you are a resident already you can apply, but they need sufficient proof that all other methods have been tried already. This won't be easy.

I

IDontKnowWhatToSay

Jul 27, 2021
Well, if you are a resident already you can apply, but they need sufficient proof that all other methods have been tried already. This won't be easy.
I'll jump through all the hoops they put in front of me.
Best case scenario I get to ctb in a painless and certain way (only 25% of suicide attempts end in success! This scary statistic is what's kept me from doing it so far)
Worst case scenario I actually 'heal'

Either way, better than where I am now

sully

sully

Experienced
Jul 27, 2021
I´ve researched this topic very well. It´s very problematic in Belgium. As a resident, yes it is possible to get AS with a mental illness. But for non residents it becomes complicated. Basically, law implies that you should have a regular doctor who looks after you 6 months minimum and agrees that you need the procedure. As non resident you will have to go there several times and have visits and be under examination for a long time. COVID 19 makes it even more complicated. I´d say forget about, only if you have such luxury as time and money to afford such a long process.

On the other hand it is easier in Switzerland. You can get assisted suicide as a non resident for 4k or so, you only need a legit diagnosis. The problem is that with mental health it can be more difficult. You would have to provide multiple reports probably that you´ve been suffering for a long time and insist a lot... You better write to DIGNITAS or lifecircle (RTD organizations in Switzerland) and ask for yourself about mental ilnesses.

H

HopelessFight

Warlock
Jan 31, 2021
I'll jump through all the hoops they put in front of me.
Best case scenario I get to ctb in a painless and certain way (only 25% of suicide attempts end in success! This scary statistic is what's kept me from doing it so far)
Worst case scenario I actually 'heal'

Either way, better than where I am now
If you've been living in Belgium for a longer time and think there's enough medical reports which proof you suffer from a mental disease with not much hope for a better future, contact Vonkel:

Be aware the waiting times for a first consultation will be multiple months. If you want an appointment with Dr. Thienpont (you should know her name if you have been living in Belgium for years), the waiting time will be over half a year.