• Hey Guest,

If you would still like to donate, you still can. We have more than enough funds to cover operating expenses for quite a while, so don't worry about donating if you aren't able. If you want to donate something other than what is listed, you can contact RainAndSadness.

Bitcoin Address (BTC): 39deg9i6Zp1GdrwyKkqZU6rAbsEspvLBJt

Ethereum (ETH): 0xd799aF8E2e5cEd14cdb344e6D6A9f18011B79BE9

Monero (XMR): 49tuJbzxwVPUhhDjzz6H222Kh8baKe6rDEsXgE617DVSDD8UKNaXvKNU8dEVRTAFH9Av8gKkn4jDzVGF25snJgNfUfKKNC8

J

Jojogu

Feb 2, 2021

A bill which would allow terminally ill adults with six months or fewer to live to get medical help to end their own lives has been introduced in the House of Lords, by former Labour Justice Secretary Lord Falconer.

He told the BBC his bill would apply only to people "mentally able to make the decision".

Their choice would also need to be approved by two doctors and the high court.

Private members' bills introduced in the Lords rarely become law.

However, Lord Falconer says he hopes a backbench MP will introduce a similar bill in the Commons, where it will have a greater chance of success.

In order to become law, the bill would also need the government to make time for it to be debated - something Prime Minister Sir Keir Starmer has promised to do.

Earlier this month, he also said he would let MPs have a free vote on the subject - meaning they could vote based on conscience rather than following the party line.

Lord Falconer's bill was welcomed by broadcaster Dame Esther Rantzen, who has advanced lung cancer.

Writing in the Express,, external Dame Esther said: "This week, for the first time for over a year, I caught a glimpse of hope... I have dared to look forward."

"What we terminally ill need is to be allowed the hope that if life becomes intolerable, we can ask for help to leave it.

"The law might actually change in time for me to die peacefully at home surrounded by those I love. Suddenly my heart lifted."

Speaking to the BBC Radio 4's Today programme, former Paralympian Baroness Tanni Grey-Thompson said she welcomed a debate, adding: "I think everybody needs to understand the implications of this becoming law".

She said that despite the safeguards, the law could still be "open to a huge amount of abuse".

Appearing on the same programme, Health Secretary Wes Streeting said he was "uncharacteristically undecided" on the subject, but addedit was a debate whose "time had come".

He also asked: "Is palliative care in this country good enough so that that choice would be a real choice, or would people end their lives sooner than they wish because palliative care, end of life care, isn't as good as it could be?"

A bill to introduce assisted dying was last debated in the House of Commons in 2015, when it was defeated by 330 votes to 118.

More recently there have been moves in Scotland, Jersey and the Isle of Man towards changing the law.

A bill introduced by Lib Dem MSP Liam McArthur will be debated in the Scottish Parliament in the autumn.

In the Isle of Man, a bill was supported at its third reading by two-thirds of the island's parliamentary representatives, known as members of the House of Keys.

It will now be considered by the Isle of Man's Legislative Council.

BBC News

Reactions: Rational man
locked*n*loaded

locked*n*loaded

Archangel
Apr 15, 2022
I'm not a Brit, but curious if this bill was put forth by the labour party, now in control, I believe? I doubt the Tories would have ever done anything so compassionate for the people.

Reactions: boingo
F

Forever Sleep

Earned it we have...
May 4, 2022
It's a start at least. Not sure I fancy waiting that long and for things to get that bad personally. I want out way before that stage but, it seems like the very least we can do for people who are suffering and at the end anyhow.

Reactions: _AllCatsAreGrey_ and Rational man
Yakamoz

Yakamoz

passer-by
Jun 26, 2022
I figure it will exclude Alzheimer's.

Which is a shame, IMO.

Rational man

Rational man

Enlightened
Oct 19, 2021
View attachment 146413

A bill which would allow terminally ill adults with six months or fewer to live to get medical help to end their own lives has been introduced in the House of Lords, by former Labour Justice Secretary Lord Falconer.

He told the BBC his bill would apply only to people "mentally able to make the decision".

Their choice would also need to be approved by two doctors and the high court.

Private members' bills introduced in the Lords rarely become law.

However, Lord Falconer says he hopes a backbench MP will introduce a similar bill in the Commons, where it will have a greater chance of success.

In order to become law, the bill would also need the government to make time for it to be debated - something Prime Minister Sir Keir Starmer has promised to do.

Earlier this month, he also said he would let MPs have a free vote on the subject - meaning they could vote based on conscience rather than following the party line.

Lord Falconer's bill was welcomed by broadcaster Dame Esther Rantzen, who has advanced lung cancer.

Writing in the Express,, external Dame Esther said: "This week, for the first time for over a year, I caught a glimpse of hope... I have dared to look forward."

"What we terminally ill need is to be allowed the hope that if life becomes intolerable, we can ask for help to leave it.

"The law might actually change in time for me to die peacefully at home surrounded by those I love. Suddenly my heart lifted."

Speaking to the BBC Radio 4's Today programme, former Paralympian Baroness Tanni Grey-Thompson said she welcomed a debate, adding: "I think everybody needs to understand the implications of this becoming law".

She said that despite the safeguards, the law could still be "open to a huge amount of abuse".

Appearing on the same programme, Health Secretary Wes Streeting said he was "uncharacteristically undecided" on the subject, but addedit was a debate whose "time had come".

He also asked: "Is palliative care in this country good enough so that that choice would be a real choice, or would people end their lives sooner than they wish because palliative care, end of life care, isn't as good as it could be?"

A bill to introduce assisted dying was last debated in the House of Commons in 2015, when it was defeated by 330 votes to 118.

More recently there have been moves in Scotland, Jersey and the Isle of Man towards changing the law.

A bill introduced by Lib Dem MSP Liam McArthur will be debated in the Scottish Parliament in the autumn.

In the Isle of Man, a bill was supported at its third reading by two-thirds of the island's parliamentary representatives, known as members of the House of Keys.

It will now be considered by the Isle of Man's Legislative Council.

BBC News
Great post and update, thanks. I recall that Starmer said it will be a free vote but the bill wont be a big priority. There's in excess of 30 bills now pending, each one takes a gigantic amount of time and resources. Of course, the authority of two doctors and the high court maybe another stumbling block because you know how the high court and church representatives play their part in Britain.!?

T

ThisIsMe1357

May 20, 2024
I once read somewhere that the UK has an unbelievably strong opposition to any idea of assisted dying or euthanasia. Is this true? Can anyone from Britain say (if they have any idea) what society's stance is like in regards to these topics? What do people think and what do polls say on this issue? Do you think it is likely for the UK to get anywhere near the level of Canada, Belgium or Switzerland when it comes to assisted suicide (meant not just for termianally ill) in the following decade?

SketchTurner

SketchTurner

Jul 24, 2024
I once read somewhere that the UK has an unbelievably strong opposition to any idea of assisted dying or euthanasia. Is this true? Can anyone from Britain say (if they have any idea) what society's stance is like in regards to these topics? What do people think and what do polls say on this issue? Do you think it is likely for the UK to get anywhere near the level of Canada, Belgium or Switzerland when it comes to assisted suicide (meant not just for termianally ill) in the following decade?
I wouldn't say unbelievably strong, but, the Conservative Party was historically aligned with religious beliefs and were against it. The Church of England is against it, and they have a certain influence. MPs used to also quite religious compared to the population, on both left and right, but that's changed. We also have a number of high profiled disabled campaigners who are against it. The doctors union used to be against it, only very recently changing to neutrality. NHS is so large their unions have quite a lot of influence ( and it seems 48% of them voted against becoming neutral )

The public polled support has been in favour for a long time, the parliamentary votes are somewhat out of step with the public opinion.
The current prime minister actually is responsible for formulating the rules on charging people for illegal assisted-suicide I believe, so he's knowledgeable and many don't get charged. The tide is shifting with MPs supposedly in favour and the doctors unions/groups changing.

I don't know if it will reach the levels of European countries or Canada. To be honest in the UK there's a lot of news about how broken the elderly care system is, how people were DNR'd during covid wrongly, and generally the narrative of the state using it to lower bills would ferment here like in Canada.

Last edited: