K

Ktenacious007

Student
Sep 10, 2019
What is the best way to go about asking my doctor about assisted suicide? I do not believe assisted suicide is legal in my state but due to my health issues it is the only option. I am not depressed in the slightest. Will he forcefully admit me to a mental hospital? Will they take my guns away? Technically I am not saying that I am committing suicide and breaking the law So do they have a right to do that?

I am planning on hiding my gun just in case he does something like call the police so they can't take it

Reactions: ERASED
SpottedPanda

SpottedPanda

I'm all about coffee and cigarettes
Jul 24, 2019
I'm curious, why would you enquire about assisted suicide if you're aware that there's zero chance of it happening in the country you live in?

Reactions: autumnal and Walilamdzi
RileyTanaka

RileyTanaka

ill / failure
Mar 20, 2020
I think it's okay for some cancer cases in California and Oregon (if you're in the U.S.). Outside of that, you probably wouldn't get approved.

Reactions: SpottedPanda
Arrow

Arrow

Rewrite
May 1, 2020
what kind of health issues do you have?

Reactions: autumnal
Brick In The Wall

Brick In The Wall

2M Or Not 2B.
Oct 30, 2019
What is the best way to go about asking my doctor about assisted suicide? I do not believe assisted suicide is legal in my state but due to my health issues it is the only option. I am not depressed in the slightest. Will he forcefully admit me to a mental hospital? Will they take my guns away? Technically I am not saying that I am committing suicide and breaking the law So do they have a right to do that?

I am planning on hiding my gun just in case he does something like call the police so they can't take it
I think it's a coin toss as to whether they'd try to institutionalize you or disarm you. They look for any reason to do both nowadays.

My suggestion would be to research the subject a bit. I highly doubt you'd get assisted suicide either way though. From what I hear it's very expensive and extremely hard to obtain. Even for people who are on their death bed.

Best of luck to you regardless. I hope your able to find some sort of solution to your problems.

Reactions: All Things Must Pass, Shinbu and SpottedPanda
autumnal

autumnal

Enlightened
Feb 4, 2020

Probably easiest to find out yourself whether or not it is legal in your state, before you risk asking the doctor about it. I'm sure there are websites by right-to-die organisations which list the status of each state laws.

Reactions: Aap
K

Ktenacious007

Student
Sep 10, 2019
I'm curious, why would you enquire about assisted suicide if you're aware that there's zero chance of it happening in the country you live in?
It is legal in my country. Just not my state. I can easily travel

Reactions: SpottedPanda
coldeyes

coldeyes

the rumbling is comfy
Jan 9, 2019
A doc told me insulin is very effective. Autopsy can't even figure it's the cause of death.

GoodPersonEffed

GoodPersonEffed

Brevity is my middle name, but my name was TL
Jan 11, 2020
I think it would be better to contact the organizations that do assisted suicide in the states where it is legal and ask for their guidance as to how to proceed.

First, find out from them what is involved in the process. Then, if it seems viable, follow their guidance about how to gather documentation, etc. It might end up being better to deal with a doctor in their state who they know, and giving that doctor copies of all of your medical records, rather than trying to involve your doctor, who may already be ethically opposed. If it is not legal in your state, then your doctor may feel obligated to oppose it based on practicing in that state.

FriendofDeath

FriendofDeath

Elementalist
May 22, 2020
It is legal in my country. Just not my state. I can easily travel
It is legal in Oregon. Last I knew, you had to live there a year. There's a pretty good documentary, How to Die in Oregon.

A

AcornUnderground

Mage
Feb 28, 2020
There are 9 states (plus D.C) where it is legal in the US, but you have to be terminally ill with less than 6 months to live AND you must first move to the state, become an actual resident of that state, and THEN apply for it. Your best option is Switzerland, namely the Pegasos organization - Switzerland is the only country that will accept non-residents, and will rather quickly accept your simple application. With bad physical health issues, you will almost always be approved. If you are younger than 50, they may ask you to prove that you are not depressed by getting a simple letter stating that you are mentally sound enough to make your own medical decisions. They can facilitate getting that in Switzerland if not easy for you to do at home.

Last edited:
Reactions: lululoo, faraway_beach and FriendofDeath
L

Living sucks

Forced out of life before I wanted to leave
Mar 27, 2020
If you have a terminal illness, you can very easily ask your doctor without ramifications, but most likely since it is not legal in your state, your doctor won't know. In the US it's called death with dignity. Your best bet is to research that and call one of those organizations. But u must be terminal in the US with medical diagnosis.

L

lymestolemylife

Student
Nov 27, 2019
There are 9 states (plus D.C) where it is legal in the US, but you have to be terminally ill with less than 6 months to live AND you must first move to the state, become an actual resident of that state, and THEN apply for it. Your best option is Switzerland, namely the Pegasos organization - Switzerland is the only country that will accept non-residents, and will rather quickly accept your simple application. With bad physical health issues, you will almost always be approved. If you are younger than 50, they may ask you to prove that you are not depressed by getting a simple letter stating that you are mentally sound enough to make your own medical decisions. They can facilitate getting that in Switzerland if not easy for you to do at home.
How long did it take for them to approve you and how long does it take from 1st inquiry to Euthanasia?
How long did it take for them to approve you and how long does it take from 1st inquiry to Euthanasia?
I imagine in your condition it will be rough to travel all the way there. That trip would destroy me.

L

lymestolemylife

Student
Nov 27, 2019
They can turn it around in a month.
Wow, ok, I might have to look into that. My worst fear is failure. I literally cannot be in a psych ward my pain is too bad and they wouldn't let me have Kratom which I rely on I take it 6 times a day. I would be tortured. It would be very very very bad.

A

AcornUnderground

Mage
Feb 28, 2020
Wow, ok, I might have to look into that. My worst fear is failure. I literally cannot be in a psych ward my pain is too bad and they wouldn't let me have Kratom which I rely on I take it 6 times a day. I would be tortured. It would be very very very bad.
Oh, the psyc ward is NOT OK for the physically ill. I was there for about 12 hours last year and they wouldn't let me have my humidifier or eye drops. It was a literal nightmare. It is amazing they don't get it. I was crawling out of there in pain, they let me go because they could not handle to physical part.

L

lymestolemylife

Student
Nov 27, 2019
Oh, the psyc ward is NOT OK for the physically ill. I was there for about 12 hours last year and they wouldn't let me have my humidifier or eye drops. It was a literal nightmare. It is amazing they don't get it. I was crawling out of there in pain, they let me go because they could not handle to physical part.
Sounds like the hellish torture I thought it would be. Do you think they would release me if I failed and got stuck there? I have Chronic Lyme, Chronic Pain and an Annular Tear on paper, and a million other things undiagnosed because Dr's are stupid and lazy and have utterly failed me.

A

AcornUnderground

Mage
Feb 28, 2020
@lymestolemylife - the trip is going to be BRUTAL. There is a direct flight on Sundays Chicago to Zurich. I can take a 45 minute flight to Chicago, I will have to overnight at the hotel at the airport to get up the reserves for the overnight flight to Switzerland. There is a 1.5 hour train ride Zurich to Basel for Pegasos, but they owner sometimes offer to pick you up to avoid the train. It is tough with COVID at the moment, they can get you in from US but you need to fly direct US to Switzerland - that direct flight in Chicago is the only one in the country I could find. They give you special paperwork to get you in the borders (medical).
oa
Sounds like the hellish torture I thought it would be. Do you think they would release me if I failed and got stuck there? I have Chronic Lyme, Chronic Pain and an Annular Tear on paper, and a million other things undiagnosed because Dr's are stupid and lazy and have utterly failed me.
The only reason I got released is because they could not keep up with my need for eye drops, and my wonderful boyfriend is in sales and came up and convinced them I was fine. I can't imagine how much pain people go through up there with unmet medical needs. It is in NO WAY a medical floor at all.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: whitefeather
L

lymestolemylife

Student
Nov 27, 2019
@lymestolemylife - the trip is going to be BRUTAL. There is a direct flight on Sundays Chicago to Zurich. I can take a 45 minute flight to Chicago, I will have to overnight at the hotel at the airport to get up the reserves for the overnight flight to Switzerland. There is a 1.5 hour train ride Zurich to Basel for Pegasos, but they owner sometimes offer to pick you up to avoid the train. It is tough with COVID at the moment, they can get you in from US but you need to fly direct US to Switzerland - that direct flight in Chicago is the only one in the country I could find. They give you special paperwork to get you in the borders (medical).
oa
The only reason I got released is because they could not keep up with my need for eye drops, and my wonderful boyfriend is in sales and came up and convinced them I was fine. I can't imagine how much pain people go through up there with unmet medical needs. It is in NO WAY a medical floor at all.
Yikes I might die from the trip alone. No that's not true my body likes to trick me into thinking i'm dying all the time yet I never croak.I've had 10 episodes where I literally feel like i'm dying in the last couple years: symptoms of heart attack, seizures what feel like strokes etc, just can't die. I always feel relieved, the attacks are so bad I'm always like , phew i'm actually going to die this time, and never do. How hard is it to just croak and die!? It feels like a heart attack every time!

• Love
Reactions: whitefeather
autumnal

autumnal

Enlightened
Feb 4, 2020
A doc told me insulin is very effective. Autopsy can't even figure it's the cause of death.

Insulin is unfortunately impractical as a suicide method for purely practical reasons, see here for more information.

Reactions: Aap
I

IrRegularjoe

Apr 8, 2020

It would depend on the doctor and the health issue. From my experience doctors in my Country (Canada). Strongly against it. In fact radicalized to believe anything contrary to the laws here.
After reading you post a second time. It was Brittany Maynard who moved to Oregon. For the right to die laws there.

Last edited: