TAW122

TAW122

Emissary of the right to die.
Aug 30, 2018
As we know in many industries, there are independent watchdog organizations and regulating bodies/organizations that oversee a particular field or industry. These organizations are oftenly independent 3rd​ party regulatory bodies that oversee various many organizations and companies within different fields to make sure that they are in compliance with laws and regulations. For example like OSHA (safety in workplace environments), EPA (protecting the environment), NSF (food safety) and other organizations for evaluating, regulating, and inspecting workplaces in various fields to ensure compliance in safety and humane working conditions in workplaces. If there are violations and or non-compliance from offending organizations, they are fined, sanctioned, and/or otherwise have penalties levied against them.

While there are some in the field of psychiatry, such as the American Psychiatric Association (APA), American Board of Psychiatry and Neurology (APBN), American Counseling Association (ACA), to name a few. I do find that they are too colluded that they oftenly side with psychiatry, sticking up for them and defending them, which only implies that the are just an extension of them rather than an independent, unbiased organization that can objectively evaluate it. What do I mean by this? I mean that in most other organizations, they actually use objective standards and have more/less safeguards and measures to ensure that if an organization steps too far out of line, it will intervene to correct it and/or tight regulations to prevent abuse as well as handle specific cases. However, for psychiatry, there isn't such a system as their overseeing organizations oftenly do whatever it takes to cover up or otherwise stick up for the field itself. In other words, it is corrupted due to the insular nature of Yes, while people can make complaints, in practice, oftenly, those complaints gets dismissed, isn't taken as seriously, and/or is biased from the get-go.

While CCHR (Citizens Commission on Human Rights) is one such example of a watchdog group for human rights abuses, especially that of psychiatric abuses and harm, it oftenly gets controversy just on the nature of it's background (Scientology). (I won't delve into that tangent.) I just wished there were more or other organizations also picking up the good fight against State overreach and psychiatric paternalism. Something that is similar to CCHR, but more specialized in exposing the human rights abuses that happen in those fields, hold organizations and some individuals accountable for the harm they caused. Ultimately, by doing this, it would ensure that policies change, the field of psychiatry and psychotherapy be overhauled from being overly aggressive and paternalistic to that of one that is not as weaponized against people who are struggling. Instead, overhauled into organizations that, while they offer support, they ultimately respect the individual's personal autonomy.

F

Forever Sleep

Earned it we have...
May 4, 2022
I definitely agree but this DOES happen with so-called regulatory boards on regular companies. Look at the case of the Boeing 737 Max. Boeing told the FAA it was safe. They approved it. Two planes fell out the sky and 346 people lost their lives. Also- the Dupont Teflon scandal. (Interestingly portrayed in the 2019 film: 'Dark Waters'.) Dupont KNOWINGLY concealed the toxicity of the chemical C8 or PFOA from the EPA and released it into the environment. Thanks to them and other companies- it's estimated that now something like 98% of the human population has C8 in their blood! Very likely you and I do!

It DEFINITELY does happen in other industries. Not to mention the amount of backhanders made to governments to continue the sale and promotion of things like alcohol, tobacco and sugar- which health organisations have known for decades lead to health problems. At least we are actually informed these days- to some extent- although food IS still a problem. Still lots of hidden sugars, salt and fat and people being mislead that they are making healthy choices- when they're not- eg. cereal bars, salads with dressings high in fat.

But yeah- I agree with you. Regulatory bodies SHOULD be independant. They SHOULD have their own experts- not be reliant on the knowledge- or worse- in the pockets of the companies they are supposed to be overseeing.

I especially agree when it comes to abuse- that needs to be rooted out wherever it occurs and sadly- it is likely to occur anywhere you have 'vulnerable' people.

Sadly though, I just think psychiatry is a business like anything else and so it's very likey to be just as corrupt as the rest of them and for the same reason- to make money at the risk of and sometimes intentionally by: exploiting people. I know- I'm such a cynic! šŸ˜†

Reactions: TAW122
TAW122

TAW122

Emissary of the right to die.
Aug 30, 2018
Good examples Forever Sleep, and yes, sadly until there is more complaints and pressure from external organizations and the masses, there is little chance of an major overhaul of the psychiatric industry as a whole. Yes, psychiatry is like a business and as businesses are concerned (at least in a capitalistic society) is to make money first before human rights, dignity, principle, and others' financial, emotional, and personal well being.