TAW122

TAW122

Emissary of the right to die.
Aug 30, 2018
Over the years, and when it comes to non-CTB related topics or even marginalized groups, I often hear the phrase "your feelings are valid", "your struggles are valid" or just about any iteration of the similar phrases being said. I don't want to get political here, but usually people who are more on the liberal side of politics would hold such views and are more sensitive towards social issues and such; in fact they even get involved into affecting the change for various marginalized groups. This is great, but what is most important is the sentiment behind it.

It doesn't mean a damned thing if people have nice words and phrases to make you feel good, but in the end their end goal is still not respecting your right (bodily autonomy with respect to the right to die). It then becomes just empty words and shallow validation, or lack thereof. It's the sentiment and actions they take afterwards that matter more. In fact, it's almost worse than being indifferent because it gives that false sense of validation where one would think that people actually care about another's situation towards why they want to CTB or their plight when in fact it's all just virtue signaling.

Here is one such example: Suppose one is suffering for x reason or cause (suppose person A) and another (person B) is listening to 'A' plight. So A talks about why they are suffering and want release, B listens and comforts A, but yet when the suffering becomes too much, and A decides to take matters into A's hands, then B decides to intervene against A's will, making A suffer more than what A is currently suffering or going through. This would not only be an violation against A's will, but also A's trust and integrity as A is operating under the assumption that B would respect A's wishes and not only did B betray A's trust by lying to A, but also gave A false hope. In such a situation as this example states, it would have been better had B just been forthright and upfront with A instead of giving A false hope and worse yet, betraying A, leaving A in a worse predicament.

It's also hypocritical that when it comes to other social issues (womens' rights, civil rights movement for minorities, LGBTQ rights, and other disenfranchised and marginalized groups), they are very vocal, and even go beyond the extra mile for them. They have events, activism, awareness campaigns, and many other efforts to affect change, up to and including change in legislation and way of life. Yet when it comes to the right to die, they are either vehemently opposed to it, or at best, silent. Just imagine if they actually put REAL effort, like the same amount of effort that they did with these "social issues" into the right to die, we may have many more states with death with dignity laws on the books, and perhaps even an expansion of medical assistance in dying, not just limited to the terminally ill, but also those who are in conditions and having a life that is intolerable to them (severe illnesses, permanent suffering, etc.).

Another example, albeit similar is the false sense of security and false promises only to be met with betrayal and paternalism towards people who open up or reach out. It is really a trap (I have written threads before about these so I won't get too deep into that tangent). Anyways, the point of this similar example is when people at first validate one's woes and struggles, it may at first seem benevolent and gives a sense of trust and hope, but their actions reflect what their true intentions are, so if their actions are inconsistent with their word, it is nothing more than a sham, even worse due to the fact it's false hope, and it's only lip service. It's nothing more than just empty words and platitudes that result in nothing being changed, improved at all.

I figured that some people might know about this or had similar observations and experiences, but overall, this is something that isn't really talked about or discussed much, so I decided to make a topic to focus a bit more on this. What are your thoughts on this?

Reactions: floralheaddress, Starstruck, ThisUnrest and 1 other person
アホペンギン

アホペンギン

Jul 10, 2023
I agree with this, people advocate for rights of minorities but when it comes to the right to die, and people in this said group of people are also a minority and refused to be granted the privilege to be supported is just hypocritical. This same thing applies for individuals as well. First, when someone is talking about their struggles is being comforted and when the problem gets too hard to handle (the one venting starts mentioning how they want to commit suicide), their problems are dismissed altogether and they get betrayed. This just disgusts me.

Reactions: ThisUnrest and TAW122