B

Backwood_tilt

UnEnlightened
Dec 27, 2019
Was watching one of my favourite movies of all time, Shot Caller 2017. It's about prison life, and a quote came up which i wanted to share with SS:

"The fact is, we all started out as someone's little angel. And then a place like this [prison] forces us to become warriors or victims. Nothing in between can exist here. And you've chosen to be a warrior. Now it's up to you to remain one."

Can't help but feel the parallels to real life, but maybe that's just my own experience. I definitely think of myself as a warrior, and i will die one, too.

What are you?

Reactions: MiserableBastard1995, thepolarbear, Final Escape and 1 other person
140 bpm

140 bpm

Glitching in reality
Jan 26, 2020
Great movie, just recently watched it as well. The thing is prison is a totally different world. In regular life it's still can be "a lot of in between". You can ensure yourself whole life, that you're warrior, being a truly victim.

Reactions: 262653
GoodPersonEffed

GoodPersonEffed

Brevity is my middle name, but my name was TL
Jan 11, 2020
I'm a warrior. Sometimes I'm a victim, but I warrior myself out of it.

Shero

Shero

Experienced
Dec 19, 2019
I always change my mask during the day, I always adapt to certain events and change accordingly. When I talk to my family, I behave differently than when I talk to my niece. Masks that represent your outward behaviour are continuously exchanged. But what intrinsic behaviour makes you want to change the masks to reflect your inner attitude?
I hope I understood your post correctly. What am i? Warrior or a victim? In any case, I always try to be one, because otherwise I exchange my whole mask collection with another one and I don't want to attract attention. I think i'll choose warrior.
Thanks for the post, It gave me the possibility of a introspective approach.

F

Final Escape

I’ve been here too long
Jul 8, 2018
I'm a victim but here's the irony lol! My real first name means warrior and it is a name given to females. I'm not living up to my name or maybe iam but it's still going to end tragically for me. Things are about to get more difficult and as the cost of living keeps rapidly increasing I won't be able to afford to stick around. That's the reality. Unless I want to deal with homelessness. No thanks.

Last edited:
a.n.kirillov

a.n.kirillov

velle non discitur
Nov 17, 2019
Mh. At the moment I am trying to absolve myself of any and all responsibility and feelings of guilt for my predicament, so I definitely see myself (and also my "perpetrators") as a victim.

The term "victim-mentality" is morally dubious, because most often the people who feel like victims are victims or have been victimized in the past, and by proclaiming their "mentality" as the cause of their problems, rather than it being the effect of actual victimization, one absolves one's own guilt and responsibility as a passive bystander and a part of a victimizing society/ community, of which oneself might be a profiteer in many ways.

So I don't particularly like this distinction at all. I think abuser/ victim is the correct distinction and not warrior/ victim. There really is no opposite to "warrior", except maybe "non-warrior". Most victims have to struggle and fight a lot more than the self-proclaimed "warriors" of our day and age, who are most likely either privileged conservatives or cringey keyboard warrior atheists; or simply ignorant people, gym bros and so on.
I always change my mask during the day, I always adapt to certain events and change accordingly. When I talk to my family, I behave differently than when I talk to my niece. Masks that represent your outward behaviour are continuously exchanged. But what intrinsic behaviour makes you want to change the masks to reflect your inner attitude?
I hope I understood your post correctly. What am i? Warrior or a victim? In any case, I always try to be one, because otherwise I exchange my whole mask collection with another one and I don't want to attract attention. I think i'll choose warrior.
Thanks for the post, It gave me the possibility of a introspective approach.
Wearing different "masks" in different social situations is pretty normal tbh.

You also seem to confuse reality with fantasy, in that you don't look at what has actually happened to you, i.e. have you been victimized/ abused or not?, but rather how you like to see and present yourself to others and to yourself. How you like to imagine yourself has no bearing on the facts of the situation. If you have been ridiculed, excluded, physically beaten or sexually abused, etc..., you definitely have been victimized. Now that doesn't mean that you are now "a" victim or that you have to identify as such. It doesn't really matter that much how we identify ourselves anyway; we should look more to the actual circumstances of our life imho.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: MiserableBastard1995, GoodPersonEffed and 262653
Phill

Phill

Student
Dec 19, 2019
Honestly, I put on a mask of warrior, but the fact is that i am a victim of my own mind.