mittymittens

mittymittens

let's make it quick, ok?
Jun 11, 2023
i wanted to test something out and i copy and pasted one of somebody's responses to my post in quotes on google to see if it came up. and it did.
i don't want my posts to be public like that, i was wondering if there was a setting somewhere i can make all of my posts only accessible to only members that are signed up on this website. i tried searching for it but i couldn't find it.

itsalittlecold

itsalittlecold

Guided by the void
Jun 7, 2024
i wanted to test something out and i copy and pasted one of somebody's responses to my post in quotes on google to see if it came up. and it did.
i don't want my posts to be public like that, i was wondering if there was a setting somewhere i can make all of my posts only accessible to only members that are signed up on this website. i tried searching for it but i couldn't find it.
I think it's the options on the bottom of privacy settings? I've changed everything to members only, I can't find myself through google…
It's intrigued me though, so will keep trying

mittymittens

mittymittens

let's make it quick, ok?
Jun 11, 2023
I think it's the options on the bottom of privacy settings? I've changed everything to members only, I can't find myself through google…
It's intrigued me though, so will keep trying
i have as well, this is a picture of my post coming up, when i go on incognito mode, im able to access my post Screenshot 2024 08 05 032904

mittymittens

mittymittens

let's make it quick, ok?
Jun 11, 2023
Ahh, so was that a quote from someone's reply? I can't find anything relating to mine, I would rather be sure though.

Hopefully a mod will see this, I'm sure you've got us all curious now lol
yeah i think im gonna contact a mod, if anyone reads this i hope you do the same because i dont really want and im sure theres people out there who dont want their posts visible on google-- or at least the option to private their posts to people who haven't signed up

Reactions: Fall_Apart and Nikitatos
P

Praestat_Mori

Mori praestat, quam haec pati!
May 21, 2023
Everything you post in the forum is publicly visible and may also be indexed by google and other search engines. Your chat and private PMs (conversations) should not be indexed as this is private and afaik not even mods can read those messages unless reported.

• Informative
Reactions: Darkover, astr4, ijustwishtodie and 4 others
itsalittlecold

itsalittlecold

Guided by the void
Jun 7, 2024
yeah i think im gonna contact a mod, if anyone reads this i hope you do the same because i dont really want and im sure theres people out there who dont want their posts visible on google-- or at least the option to private their posts to people who haven't signed up
So I've just googled one of my reply's on someone else's post, it came up straight away.

However when I google a reply on one of my posts, it isn't showing.

I'm curious, when did you change the privacy settings? Could it be a case off every post prior to the change, will show and future won't?

mittymittens

mittymittens

let's make it quick, ok?
Jun 11, 2023
So I've just googled one of my reply's on someone else's post, it came up straight away.

However when I google a reply on one of my posts, it isn't showing.

I'm curious, when did you change the privacy settings? Could it be a case off every post prior to the change, will show and future won't?
I had this setting on for as long as i signed up which was on june 11, 2023.

itsalittlecold

itsalittlecold

Guided by the void
Jun 7, 2024
I had this setting on for as long as i signed up which was on june 11, 2023.
That's got me wondering. None of my personal posts are coming up.

If you manage to speak with a mod, would you mind updating please?

Reactions: CatLvr
mittymittens

mittymittens

let's make it quick, ok?
Jun 11, 2023
That's got me wondering. None of my personal posts are coming up.

If you manage to speak with a mod, would you mind updating please?
i messaged one right now, and i will be updating.

Reactions: CatLvr and itsalittlecold
P

Praestat_Mori

May 21, 2023
@itsalittlecold and @mittymittens

It has nothing to do with privacy settings. The whole forum is public (but anonymous, depending on how much info you share). Google as well as other search engines can and will index the whole forum. There is no personal setting to prevent this. Do not post anything you do not want to be public or that can compromise your identity.

• Informative
Reactions: Ashu, LifeQuitter, astr4 and 7 others
itsalittlecold

itsalittlecold

Guided by the void
Jun 7, 2024

It has nothing to do with privacy settings. The whole forum is public (but anonymous, depending on how much info you share). Google as well as other search engines can and will index the whole forum. There is no personal setting to prevent this. Do not post anything you do not want to be public or that can compromise your identity.
I understand what you're saying.
My posts aren't showing through google though, if I copy and paste a comment of one of my reply's- on someone else's post, it will show.

I can't see a reason why my personal posts aren't showing?

andreamysk

andreamysk

Student
Jun 29, 2024
Personally, I would prefer that the forum not be public and indexable, but visible only to members (this is not so much to protect members, but to better protect some categories of web surfers who could be very vulnerable). This is a completely personal and debatable opinion, I respect other points of view.

Reactions: PumpkinLatte1 and mittymittens
P

Praestat_Mori

May 21, 2023
I can't see a reason why my personal posts aren't showing?
What do you mean with "personal post"? Your PMs are private and won't show in public if they are private messages. But anything you post in the public forums can show. Maybe google doesn't interpret your account as "relevant" and therefore it's not showing.

Reactions: Ashu and ijustwishtodie
itsalittlecold

itsalittlecold

Guided by the void
Jun 7, 2024
What do you mean with "personal post"? Your PMs are private and won't show in public if they are private messages. But anything you post in the public forums can show. Maybe google doesn't interpret your account as "relevant" and therefore it's not showing.
By personal posts I mean- posts I have created and posted personally.

Like this is mittymittens personal post we are commenting on.

I'd like to believe google determines that, if I copy and paste one of my comments from someone else's thread, it does show.

P

Praestat_Mori

May 21, 2023
Personally, I would prefer that the forum not be public and indexable, but visible only to members (this is not so much to protect members, but to better protect some categories of web surfers who could be very vulnerable). This is a completely personal and debatable opinion, I respect other points of view.
This has been done several years ago (read in the suggestions/news sections) but it only lead to a massive increase of registrations.
By personal posts I mean- posts I have created and posted personally.

Like this is mittymittens personal post we are commenting on.
The current conversation is probably too new to be already indexed by google.

• Informative
Reactions: ImsooDone1N and CatLvr
andreamysk

andreamysk

Student
Jun 29, 2024
This has been done several years ago (read in the suggestions/news sections) but it only lead to a massive increase of registrations.
Thanks for the info (yes, I had read, and I can imagine the problem of having to manage/moderate an exponentially huge number of subscribers, but I still believe it would be preferable, in principle - just IMHO :-)

P

Praestat_Mori

May 21, 2023
Thanks for the info (yes, I had read, and I can imagine the problem of having to manage/moderate an exponentially huge number of subscribers, but I still believe it would be preferable, in principle - just IMHO :-)
Well there's a setting in robots.txt to tell the search engine robot not to index certain parts or a whole website but imo that's also against sharing useful information.

R

rozeske

Maybe I am the problem
Dec 2, 2023
Unfortunately what's said on SaSu doesn't stay on SaSu.

• Yay!
Reactions: permanently tired, astr4, ImsooDone1N and 2 others
itsalittlecold

itsalittlecold

Guided by the void
Jun 7, 2024

Yep, I have to stand corrected.
With persistence I got it to show on google, I'm just the type that'll question everything…
I appreciate your responses.

Reactions: Praestat_Mori
ijustwishtodie

ijustwishtodie

death will be my ultimate bliss
Oct 29, 2023
No, I don't think that you can. Whatever you post publicly can be searched publicly. This is why you have to be careful with what you post

• Informative
Reactions: LifeQuitter
SoulWhisperer

SoulWhisperer

Careless Soul « MtF »
Nov 13, 2023
You searched with quotation marks and in Google engine "" means to search those EXACT words and since your post was publicly accessible by anyone on the internet, registered here or not Google picked it up because it matched your research.

However realistically the chances of someone casually matching your exact words and finding your posts without clues or hints is kind of low. As per the username I think it's even less likely.

Take my advice with a graint of salt because I'm no technical engineer.

Reactions: LifeQuitter and itsalittlecold
K

Kalista

Failed hard to pull the trigger - Now using SN
Feb 5, 2023
i have as well, this is a picture of my post coming up, when i go on incognito mode, im able to access my post View attachment 147087
incognito mode does not work like that. incognito only works on the local side, which is your side. what it does is it doesn't save cookies, cache, browser history and any urls you type in after closing the browser, so that any users who get on your computer won't see the previous activity. that's all it does.
it does not cover your tracks and prevent your ISP (Internet Service Provider) or Google from seeing your online activity.

unfortunately, whatever is posted on here will be easily searched through Google. you will have to find other ways of disconnecting your activity here and out.

SilentSadness

SilentSadness

Sitting in the darkness.
Feb 28, 2023
When your account is older you should be able to post in the sanctuary, which is a private sub forum.

damienlerone03

damienlerone03

reject humanity, return to monke
May 5, 2024
how long do you have to wait for that?
I just got access to it maybe a week ago and i join in like april, though maybe just like the search bar it might be random for everyone

Reactions: Sylveon