N

noname223

Angelic
Aug 18, 2020
What if the system or the society tells you to be an indivual? And the ideology is to be an individual? Because this is what captialism and marketing wants us to believe in. By buying products we shall express our individuality. Like for example fashion has this concept. It is often produced for the mass market but by choosing from the articles of the mass market we shall have the feeling to be unique.

Personally I find it ridiculous when I watch influencers when they sell their extremely overpriced merchandise. These people talk about how much they despise capitalism and then they exploit their young easily manipulated audience to buy their products. The products they sell have no real value. It is even worse when they pretend to be in favor of saving the planet. This does not apply to all influencers it is easy to call them hypocrites if you are anonymous in an online forum. But I have followed some of them in the past and their excuses why they fly all around the world very frequently is so shameful and cringe. "My vlogs from the US/Japan/etc shall not invoke in my young audience the desire to fly to these places themselves it is rather a benefit for the environment by showing them these vlogs on camera it is a substitution. These people can watch my videos so that they don't have to fly to these places. I contribute to protect the planet with my videos." I am glad I quit to watch stupid excuses like that. At least be honest and don't pretend shit like that.

What if enlightment has its own biases? What if logic does not always correspond with truth? What if rationality is sometimes irrational? What if our own values and views are flawed but admitting this could induce shame, the feeling of inferiority and render our commitment in the past as a complete meander.

What if we are convinced to hold the right views also ethically but the other side has the better arguments? Shall we listen to them and take them seriously and reconsider our own views? Or shall morality and ethical convictions be more important than logic?

Our societies are hyperindividualistic. And if you question some tenets of the system you are considered a sheep. Is it right to deny all conventional wisdom or is this rather another unhealthy extreme? Old and traditional values are considered as outdated. But what if modern belief systems deny the need of humans to believe in a higher reason or moral system? Maybe the wish for a common belonging is neglected when we seperate us in echo chambers.

What do you think about that? People told me they like my thought-provoking threads so this is the best I could think of. Lol. Maybe it is a little bit a hyperbole.

Last edited:
Reactions: Julgran
freedompass

freedompass

Warlock
Jan 27, 2021
Critical thinking. Don't blindly accept what you are told, always question and verify it yourself. Some 'received wisdom' may be correct, quite a lot is far from it.

I always enjoy reading your posts.

• Love
Reactions: Julgran and noname223
GrumpyFrog

GrumpyFrog

Exhausted
Aug 23, 2020
I don't see anything wrong with agreeing with a populat ideology, if it is based around constructive ideas. Society isn't some sinister "system" that wishes to zombify you, it's a union of individuals that try to all live together and most social norms are important for coexistence with other human beings. We are all simultaneously unique because the synapses in our brains connect based on our experiences that no one else ever completely recreated, but also we're all not really that special and different from other humans.
Questioning things is good for your brain, and helps you develop critical thinking and not be easily fooled. But being contrarian to every and any popular idea for a sake of it is just as unreasonable as automatically subscribing to everything TV tells you, if not worse. Disagreeing with popular opinions doesn't automatically make one more interesting or a better person.
As for logic vs ethical beliefs, I'm sorry, but when someone's morals come into conflict with logic - it's probably time for a reality check and reviewing your belief system.
Every ideology becomes toxic if you take it to the extreme. At the end of the day, all higher reasons and moral systems are just products of our collective imagination, that tries to pretend that living in this sick sad world has some deep meaning.