P

Powderedmonster

Student
Mar 6, 2019
I just test hung myself with a slipknot and the knot starting coming undone while my weight was on the noose and if I would tug on it on one side the slipknot would also come undone. Are we sure slipknots are a safe way to hang? I'm really good at tying them but don't want to brain damage myself hanging from one of them

Edit: I'm doing full suspension

Last edited:
Reactions: Baskol1
Worndown

Worndown

Visionary
Mar 21, 2019
A properly tied knot is 100% effective.

Reactions: Baskol1 and restingspot
TheGoodGuy

TheGoodGuy

Visionary
Aug 27, 2018
A properly tied knot is 100% effective.
What is a "properly tied knot" can you provide a video or something? Because I have experienced the same problem I mean there isn´t much to a slipknot and it really isn´t all that secure at least not a regular one and the rope I bought is very good it has a breaking point at several hundred kilos and slips easily not like those polypropylene ropes.

Reactions: CloseFriendofCamus, Baskol1 and Powderedmonster
S

stardust353

Aug 20, 2019
I have a question regarding these too. I've seen the resource thread on hanging/slipknots and there is a link on how to tie them. However, it appears that there is a small piece of rope that sticks out of the knot end. In the tutorial, this is to release the knot when there is nothing in it. However, I fear that with the full weight of a body that it may be flimsy. Is the solution to avoid this coming apart to simply make it a bit longer, or possibly attach it to the main rope with a second simple knot? Or is this not something to be concerned about?

Reactions: TheGoodGuy and Powderedmonster
YukiFox

YukiFox

Pastel demon
Dec 8, 2018
Firstly: they are proper ropes for some body weights. An overweight person will need a stronger rope like the climbing ones. An average person could use any other ligature.
Secondly, at least as I know, the people who choose this method pre knot first to an anchor point and make the slip knot and then when they settle up they adjust again the knot on the neck to create enough pressure.
And thirdly, that "little piece of rope" It can't be less than a half inch. Perhaps two to secure the knot to the other point of rope/ligature.

Worndown

Worndown

Visionary
Mar 21, 2019
The simple way, take the last 2 feet of rope and fold in center to make a 1 foot length, 2 strands. Tie a simple knot in the middle using the 2 strands and pull tight. Put other end of rope through loop. You end up with a loop that cannot loosen and slides easily.

Attachments

• images.jpeg
    images.jpeg
    9.7 KB · Views: 41
Reactions: stardust353 and Baskol1