N

noname223

Angelic
Aug 18, 2020
I sometimes eat vegan products. I have the feeling they are often more expensive. Maybe because it is such a hype product. I am not a vegan but it is interesting for me how good the companies can imitate the taste of meat. I also eat meat but rather seldom. I always have a little bit of disgust about myself when I am eating it. Knowing I eat something which was a sentient being and bleeded when it was killed.
I think I eat 2-3 times a week meat. And mostly as side dish.

I think they make vegan products this expensive because they consider the main target group educated-urban wealthy consumers. I am not really wealthy but my food is quite expensive. My mom often buys the products. If I had to buy them from my own money I would be way more stingy. I think when poverty hits I gonna kill myself. I really like my food. It is really healthy and tasty. It increases my life quality. But I think on welfare I would be forced to eat way way worse food. This could be pretty bad because I have an eating disorder and I don't want under no circumstances to gain weight.

Reactions: LastFlowers
Celerity

Celerity

shape without form, shade without colour
Jan 24, 2021
Ready-made vegan products cost a ton, but you can eat really healthily and cheaply with the right recipes. Beans are your friend. With chicken and beef prices skyrocketing, beans are often much more affordable than meat. I have made some soups and curries using beans that weren't half bad.

I would add the full cans of beans and tomato paste to bulk this up and make it thicker. It is very good with cheese but acceptable without it. It's a very easy, cheap, and hearty meal.

This one is kind of one-note but does the job.

Get or make your favorite bread to go with this one.

• Informative
Reactions: ithappens, artificial_ineptness, LastFlowers and 3 others
S

Someone123

Illuminated
Oct 19, 2021
I think they make vegan products this expensive because they consider the main target group educated-urban wealthy consumers.
I really don't think that this is the reason. It is much more efficient to make products in very large batches, so that's why products that most poeple want to eat are cheaper per unit. Only a small percentage of people want to eat vegan, so these products have a much lower volume, so the cost per unit is quite a bit higher.

• Informative
Reactions: artificial_ineptness, LastFlowers and rainwillneverstop
rainwillneverstop

rainwillneverstop

Global Mod | Serious Health Hazard
Jul 12, 2022
I really don't think that this is the reason. It is much more efficient to make products in very large batches, so that's why products that most poeple want to eat are cheaper per unit. Only a small percentage of people want to eat vegan, so these products have a much lower volume, so the cost per unit is quite a bit higher.
well this was exactly what I was going to say.

Throughout the years, I have already seen some products getting cheaper as more consumers want it and different brands start to compete.
If you want cheap vegan, then ready meals won't be it sadly. But making it yourself is something else, beans are super cheap!

Reactions: Someone123
rationaltake

rationaltake

I'm rocking it - in another universe
Sep 28, 2021
I'm repelled by these products precisely because they look like meat! I'm vegetarian and don't want to eat pretend animal flesh. I think these plant-based products are for people who actually like meat.

Reactions: obafgkm
Fragile

Fragile

Broken
Jul 7, 2019
I wouldn't call them a scam, but you are definitely right in thinking that they are often marketed towards an upper-middle class demographic. This demographic has some amount of disposable income, spends it on trendy products, and more often than not, with very little financial education.

In my country they were prohibitively expensive until very recently, right now the market is favoring them and large companies took notice of the boom in demand for these products. So much so that they are now cheaper or equally priced as their equivalent value in meat while being cheaper to produce. Even many of the most important chain restaurants have recently expanded their menu and added a lot of vegetarian/vegan options.

I love the free market, it now allows me to be an annoying vegetarian while not being too worried about being overcharged. Too bad that the new president is not too keen on the free market, or even a reasonable economy for that matter. That's why I'm enjoying them as much as I can, for now.

Last edited:
GentleJerk

GentleJerk

Carrot juice pimp.
Dec 14, 2021
The vegan market is just one of many that is rapidly growing each day. There's a demand for more vegan-friendly products to be on the shelf. And for good reason.

There's definitely a lot of overpriced and questionable crap being sold under a vegan banner too. The higher than average cost of some products often doesn't reflect the true value of them, but rather, is taking advantage of consumers that are likely to accept paying more in order to avoid consuming meat and animal products.

Reactions: rationaltake and LastFlowers
FlaxFlower

FlaxFlower

Cheeto tiger
May 19, 2021
I have no idea why they're so darn spendy. Itcan feel a little scam like since a lot of vegan meat substitutes seem to be a whole lot of filler, like how much pea protein should we all be eating (it's in other vegan milks and snacks too). I usually can't eat meat substitutes as many have wheat in them and will make me sick :/ I find making my own "veggie patty" or lentil sloppy Joe, taco filling, whatever to be a lot more satisfying. It's usually the savory spices I'm after anyways, not so much a meat texture. The problem is while it's much cheaper to make your own/make enough for the week you've got to be in the mood to make it all.

If it's accessible to you, sourcing meat from farmers or stores that sell well known farm raised meats is a good way to go if you're still looking to eat meat a few days a week. If you're rural it could pay to know your local hunter or farmer too. But again, I realize that often takes a lot of effort!
Eating "right" is definitely a challenging journey.

Reactions: LastFlowers
LastFlowers

LastFlowers

the haru that can read
Apr 27, 2019
I sometimes eat vegan products. I have the feeling they are often more expensive. Maybe because it is such a hype product. I am not a vegan but it is interesting for me how good the companies can imitate the taste of meat. I also eat meat but rather seldom. I always have a little bit of disgust about myself when I am eating it. Knowing I eat something which was a sentient being and bleeded when it was killed.
I think I eat 2-3 times a week meat. And mostly as side dish.

I think they make vegan products this expensive because they consider the main target group educated-urban wealthy consumers. I am not really wealthy but my food is quite expensive. My mom often buys the products. If I had to buy them from my own money I would be way more stingy. I think when poverty hits I gonna kill myself. I really like my food. It is really healthy and tasty. It increases my life quality. But I think on welfare I would be forced to eat way way worse food. This could be pretty bad because I have an eating disorder and I don't want under no circumstances to gain weight.
Idk if they're a "scam", and some of them are quite worth it on occasion (especially meals from vegan restaurants) but hell yes they are more expensive than they have any right being, from packaged to fresh.

It is a hype product, people will pay that extra dollar to feel morally superior (I kid).
The vegan diet usually comes with a certain culture (often hipster) which is also, oddly enough, commonly affluent.
Make of that what you will.

It's cheaper to make your own food from scratch (but far more time consuming and not nearly as cheap as people state).

(Random, but I want to let you know that the "vegan meat" products or anything that currently attempts to mimic animal product, especially if packaged, is usually horrible for your body, check the ingredients and additives.)

I was a vegetarian (but technically a vegan by default because I simply did not buy animal material products and did not have a taste for eggs, cheese, milk during that time) for about 2 years shy of a decade (iirc).
I had to stop due to incompatibility with a necessary medication and compounding health concerns, supplements weren't going to cut it (also expensive).
I have relatives who were 'veg' since birth but they are also what I would consider upper-middle class, so I really wonder if they would have committed to that lifestyle if they were not in that favorable financial position.

I'm of the antinatalist persuasion so despite now consuming animal products (ideally ethically sourced and only in necessary amounts) I can safely say my lack of a family line will do more than any vegan lifestyle in one lifetime ever could. (This is why I scoff at outspoken, hostile vegans who have children..they're less consistent than antinatalists who aren't also vegan-aka me-and basically erase their own efforts via procreation..which, btw, includes plenty of descendants that likely won't hold themselves to the same strict standards).

And I know what you mean by relying on your food to increase your quality of life, especially if it's the only thing available to do so.
I lose my appetite often, but when I don't I still like good food. It is also a welcome distraction.
…unfortunately as I type this I am resorting to a desperate meal of mustard on saltines.
Sure, but there are also plenty of products that are made in very small batches with little demand-including grocery products-which are a dime on the dollar compared to what's marketed as "vegan".
So clearly there are probably multiple factors at play.

Last edited: