shijsrzh

shijsrzh

Deluded Moron
Dec 2, 2020
Despite being suicidal, I'm Buddhist in my world views, and I was wondering if there is someone else here who is a Buddhist. I have a desire to exchange myself with someone who shares my world views. Other people are also welcome to reply. I'm not excluding anyone or anything with this post.

• Love
Reactions: Sensei, NeverSatisfied, kovkay and 1 other person
W

WornOutLife

マット
Mar 22, 2020
I hope you can fin some buddhist pals here! I think you're quite interesting!

Reactions: Sensei
shijsrzh

shijsrzh

Deluded Moron
Dec 2, 2020
Thank you! Very kind of you.

• Love
Reactions: Sensei and WornOutLife
GenesAndEnvironment

GenesAndEnvironment

Autistic loser
Jan 26, 2021
Don't believe in any of the religious aspects but agree with many of the practical points. I'm even worse at meditating than I am at reminding myself to eat enough protein, but meditation is what I should be doing constantly if I want to stop suffering and being suicidal.

• Hugs
shijsrzh

shijsrzh

Deluded Moron
Dec 2, 2020
I don't know about you, but the reason I'm not meditating is because I can't if I reach a certain degree of suffering. I'm so unwell that meditating does more damage than good. Now, I understand why certain Buddhists recommend not to do Vipassana and stuff when in deep depression

• Hugs
kovkay

kovkay

Experienced
Jun 29, 2020
I've been getting into some Buddhism talks on YouTube lately. I don't consider myself a Buddhist though. It helps me to not be too attached to the things that are going on in my life. I generally do have a better grasp on my emotions now more than ever.

Reactions: Sensei and GenesAndEnvironment
shijsrzh

shijsrzh

Deluded Moron
Dec 2, 2020
I've been getting into some Buddhism talks on YouTube lately. I don't consider myself a Buddhist though. It helps me to not be too attached to the things that are going on in my life. I generally do have a better grasp on my emotions now more than ever.

I don't consider myself a real Buddhist either. At least not in a religious sense. For me there is a definite difference between organized religion (always comprised of fanatics and addicts, even Buddhism) and spirituality. I use Buddhism for its practices and world views. I have always had trouble taking someone's word and believing in it as the ultimate underlying truth of the universe. As is done in every religion. I just like the Buddhist doctrine. And through practice, I have found that our true self can only be experienced, never described. The practice or religion is irrelevant. You can have insight into the plane of essential reality by licking ice cream or chanting "I am a mother duck".

I'm glad that certain Buddhist thoughts help you cope a bit. :happy:

EDIT: Sorry for the ridiculous examples, hopefully the point I want to bring across still gets through, haha.

• Love
Reactions: GenesAndEnvironment and kovkay
GenesAndEnvironment

GenesAndEnvironment

Autistic loser
Jan 26, 2021
*Watches thread*

Reactions: shijsrzh
S

Symbiote

Global Mod
Oct 12, 2020
Wife is a mild Buddhist, as in burn incense, pray that I live a long life with her....but also ensures that she honors Buddha by being vegetarian for 2 days every week for the rest of her life. I enjoy the practical aspects such as meditation and such. If Thich Quan Duc can set himself on fire while meditating the pain away, I can do the same to ward off any SI that may occur during my next attempt.

Reactions: DeadButDreaming and GenesAndEnvironment
GenesAndEnvironment

GenesAndEnvironment

Autistic loser
Jan 26, 2021
pray that I live a long life with her.
naruto shippuden GIF

Reactions: Sensei and shijsrzh
shijsrzh

shijsrzh

Deluded Moron
Dec 2, 2020
Wife is a mild Buddhist, as in burn incense, pray that I live a long life with her....but also ensures that she honors Buddha by being vegetarian for 2 days every week for the rest of her life. I enjoy the practical aspects such as meditation and such. If Thich Quan Duc can set himself on fire while meditating the pain away, I can do the same to ward off any SI that may occur during my next attempt.
Already tried that. To no avail. Thought with Buddhist practice and will-power I could overcome SI. No chance though.
Although the Buddha told his disciples to refrain from eating meat, I can't be vegetarian. It's just too tasty, lol.

Reactions: GenesAndEnvironment
L

luten

work, love, and learn
Feb 25, 2021
yep, i am Buddhist.

• Love
Reactions: shijsrzh
L

luten

work, love, and learn
Feb 25, 2021
to be honest with you, Buddhism is the most helpful resource. As a westerner I studied Buddhism for four years, it did change my outlook in life. His teaching about suffering makes people aware that suffering is not abnormal, quite the opposite. Some people are afraid of Buddhism, because they think it has to do with the supernatural, like other religions. That is not the case, Buddha taught simple, practical ways to get out of suffering. I am not going to teach Buddhism on here, because people may think that I want to change their views. I am not here to do that. I have no agenda, it is a self-help world.

NeverSatisfied

NeverSatisfied

Experienced
Dec 28, 2020
I've always been interested in Buddhism and looked into it but very surface-level. If there's something you'd like people to know about Buddhism or where to start looking into it to improve their lives (not for religious purposes) what would your advice be?

GenesAndEnvironment

GenesAndEnvironment

Autistic loser
Jan 26, 2021
I am not going to teach Buddhism on here, because people may think that I want to change their views.
I have seen several of these posts as of late. If someone doesn't want their views changed I'd suggest never opening a book or laptop--problem solved.

• Love
Reactions: luten
shijsrzh

shijsrzh

Deluded Moron
Dec 2, 2020
to be honest with you, Buddhism is the most helpful resource. As a westerner I studied Buddhism for four years, it did change my outlook in life. His teaching about suffering makes people aware that suffering is not abnormal, quite the opposite. Some people are afraid of Buddhism, because they think it has to do with the supernatural, like other religions. That is not the case, Buddha taught simple, practical ways to get out of suffering. I am not going to teach Buddhism on here, because people may think that I want to change their views. I am not here to do that. I have no agenda, it is a self-help world.
It was the same with me. It changed my outlook. It's probably the thing keeping me alive. And you are right. Buddha taught that. The present moment includes the suffering and it is only our aversion to it that gives it power. Suffering is not negative in itself. Suffering is just suffering. Period. Still, sometimes I wonder if that only applies up to a certain level of suffering. I find there is suffering that is so unbearable that it makes it impossible to keep practicing.

• Love
Reactions: luten
L

luten

work, love, and learn
Feb 25, 2021
I've always been interested in Buddhism and looked into it but very surface-level. If there's something you'd like people to know about Buddhism or where to start looking into it to improve their lives (not for religious purposes) what would your advice be?
if you can travel to a Buddhist country to join a retreat, that is best, otherwise I suggest you get a book. I would recommend that you watch "The life of The Buddha" to get an overview, then start reading books. You can also watch the Dalai lama's teaching on youtube, they are great.
It was the same with me. It changed my outlook. It's probably the thing keeping me alive. And you are right. Buddha taught that. The present moment includes the suffering and it is only our aversion to it that gives it power. Suffering is not negative in itself. Suffering is just suffering. Period. Still, sometimes I wonder if that only applies up to a certain level of suffering. I find there is suffering that is so unbearable that it makes it impossible to keep practicing.
once you have read about what the Buddha taught, there is no turning back, no excuses, no matter what your situation is. My body is a train wreck, but i have no excuses, because I know that my suffering is ok, it is not a bad thing, it is not a good thing.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: NeverSatisfied and shijsrzh
shijsrzh

shijsrzh

Deluded Moron
Dec 2, 2020
Iuten already gave a good answer. My addition is, if you really wanted to go into it in depth, you could also start reading sutras.

• Love
Reactions: NeverSatisfied and luten
NeverSatisfied

NeverSatisfied

Experienced
Dec 28, 2020
@luten @shijsrzh Thanks for the info!

Reactions: shijsrzh and luten
signifying nothing

signifying nothing

-
Sep 13, 2020
I've always been interested in Buddhism and looked into it but very surface-level. If there's something you'd like people to know about Buddhism or where to start looking into it to improve their lives (not for religious purposes) what would your advice be
I like koans - they're a good place to start if you want to try loosening your mind and thinking differently.

• Love
Reactions: shijsrzh and NeverSatisfied
shijsrzh

shijsrzh

Deluded Moron
Dec 2, 2020
I like koans - they're a good place to start if you want to try loosening your mind and thinking differently.
True. I forgot about koans. But I personally think that they require a small amount of prior familiarity with Buddhism. They can sometimes be too paradoxical to western readers.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: NeverSatisfied
NeverSatisfied

NeverSatisfied

Experienced
Dec 28, 2020
Thanks @signifying nothing and thanks for the headsup @shijsrzh

• Love
Reactions: signifying nothing and shijsrzh
signifying nothing

signifying nothing

-
Sep 13, 2020
True. I forgot about koans. But I personally think that they require a small amount of pre-familiarity with Buddhism. They can sometimes be too paradoxical to western readers.
You only need one koan to snag your interest and shift, even slightly, your usual way of thinking about things. That's what I found anyway. One small step then becomes another and so on/forth.

Reactions: NeverSatisfied and shijsrzh
Sensei

Sensei

剣道家
Nov 4, 2019
I'm a Zen Buddhist but I rarely practice zazen nowadays.

shijsrzh

shijsrzh

Deluded Moron
Dec 2, 2020
@Sensei Me neither. I would like to do zazen, but I have misophonia and my surroundings are too noisy.

• Hugs
Reactions: akana and Sensei
TriggerHappy

TriggerHappy

In the kingdom of th blind; the one-eyed are kings
Jan 24, 2021
practise Buddhism as best I can: meditation / prayer / mindfullness / no-harm (physical / emotional etc) / vegan etc
got into it in recovery - connection to a gentle non-judgmental & loving source that itself is constantly evolving as i am.
love the symbology of Tibetan & Japanese zen :: vajras and thangkas and koans and...

C

Charmolypi

Jan 18, 2021
I'm not Buddhist but I would definitely be interested in reading more about it. What's a good introduction to it? Do you guys have any recommendations?

shijsrzh

shijsrzh

Deluded Moron
Dec 2, 2020
@Charmopyli As was already said above, you have many options: Watch youtube videos, go to retreats, read koans, sutras, articles on the web etc.
I personally recommend to start with people like Alan Watts or Ram Dass, because they have an approach to the topic that is suitable for westerners. Just search for these names on youtube. :smiling:

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: Charmolypi and NeverSatisfied