N

noname223

Angelic
Aug 18, 2020
With vice versa I mean tips that usually should help people but they don't help you.

The idea for this thread came from an old thread of mine.
I wanted to help other people by sharing this quote from David Foster Wallace.
"You'll stop caring what people think about you when you realize how seldom they do." Someone quickly responded that such a message might be detrimental for a forum with members who feel often lonely and depressed. So I deleted the post.

Though I have to say for me personally this quote is comforting. I am way too obsessed how other people perceive me and it is often tormenting. I might have a cognitive bias to overestimate my importance in other people's minds. I ruminate a lot when I make something slightly weird. I feel ashamed and bad.
But then I try to remind myself that I am not the centre of the universe. Sometimes this can help.

However as the other member expressed usually such a quote could reinforce the feeling of loneliness. It is true I sometimes feel lonely. But this quote does not really make me feel lonely.

So for me this quote is comforting and others might consider it detrimental. So if it impacts you badly try not to take it too seriously.

Other tips that help me but usually are not recommended.

I mean writing here in this forum comforts me a lot and I feel way less lonely. Sometimes it can be overwhelming but I limit my time on it to work against that. It feels good to vent about my horrible life. And I can relate to a lot of stuff I read.
So maybe writing daily in a suicide forum might could be placed in that category.

Moreover sad music can comfort me.

But vice versa? Things that usually should help but don't help me.

I don't profit a lot of sports. I think there are studies that clearly show sports can have an anti-depressive effect. But I am a person who can cope better by cognitive stimulation.

Having a lot of social interactions maybe. I am not sure whether this is often recommended but for me I can get overwhelmed by that very easily. It can stress me a lot. So I only take social interactions in a small dosage. Especially in the evening I have to try to become more calm. Turning introspectively helps.

Do you have similar behaviors?

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: Forever Sleep, katagiri83 and Rairii
Un-

Un-

I'm a failure. An absolute waste. A LOSEr.
Apr 6, 2021
I don't give it out as advice, but to prevent myself from feeling much worse, I usually always make myself miserable. So I avoid everything that makes me happy - songs, movies, events, series.. Everything. Only sad and miserable things, to keep myself sad and miserable. The fall from happiness is much worse than misery itself.

Another thing is that I avoid making friends, and prefer being alone as opposed to solving relationship issues. It's not healthy to prefer loneliness, but it helps me I suppose.

I can't think of much else, but usually all my advice that works for me is really unhealthy for other people.

Vice versa? Everything, really.

• Hugs
Reactions: Forever Sleep, Celerity, AreWeWinning and 1 other person