paredler

paredler

Student
Jul 31, 2022
In early modern Europe, there was something called "nobelese de robe", which meant, people who spent money on buying high government position, but they didn't lift a finger to do their job.

In the 21st century, the rest of the world works in precarious jobs, dealing with violent customers, performing 20 long heart surgeries, dealing with 20 - 30 children in a classroom Tech bros are the only people who sit in their quiet cubicles, in front of the computer, and just program, away from the messy crowd, without having to put themselves in at best unpleasant and at worst dangerous environments. Most tech bros report high job satisfaction because of the laid back and relaxed nature of their work.

This is a class that doesn't suffer to make a living, and they make a very good living. Are they the noblemen of the 21st century?

Reactions: astr4 and dune_dweller
dune_dweller

dune_dweller

Puella Aeternus
Sep 6, 2024
I think politicians and politician-adjacent people (like social media personalities) might fit the bill as well.

They make names for themselves, are well known, travel about, and maybe gain some status and power, and pretty much do nothing.

Even for tech-bros and gals the work could still be labor-intensive/mentally demanding/have asshole supervisors/clients, etc.

Davey40210

Davey40210

Even the stars make room for new stars
Sep 3, 2024
Lol tech bros have terrible jobs imo. They are at risk of being fired every reorg round, they know that AI will take over their job soon, they work with unrealistic deadlines and tough program managers, etc etc. I would say what fits the bill more are successfully exited entrepreneurs, rich kids, successful influencers, top 0.1% beautiful ppl, etc.

Reactions: wCvML2 and GuessWhosBack
GuessWhosBack

GuessWhosBack

The sun rises to insult me.
Jul 15, 2024
Most tech bros report high job satisfaction because of the laid back and relaxed nature of their work.
Wait, really? Can you cite a source? As per your description I'm a "tech bro" and I know for a fact that all my coworkers are soulless husks who hate their job.

Reactions: wCvML2 and jar-baby
Z

zengiraffe

Feb 29, 2024
Working in tech has its pros and cons like any job. And similarly to most jobs, your experience will largely shaped by the temperament of your managers, and what department or role you're in.

If you have a chill manager your job will likely be chill. If you have high-strung manager your job will likely be stressful. If you work on some non-client-facing internal tool at the company then your job will likely be chill. If you work as an SRE then your job will likely be stressful.

Rust

Rust

Aug 28, 2024
It depends. I believe the tech field was booming a few years ago, but things seem to have cooled off since then. Tech roles now look to be quite competitive.

I know some people who get paid to basically do nothing, but I also know people who quit their jobs because their company fired half the staff (to cut costs), but made the team do the same amount of work.

I'd argue it's like any other job, though I guess that doesn't really bring much value to the conversation.

sserafim

sserafim

brighter than the sun, that’s just me
Sep 13, 2023
NEETs are modern day noblemen

• Yay!
Reactions: Dr Iron Arc and Rocinante
Dr Iron Arc

Dr Iron Arc

Into the Unknown
Feb 10, 2020
Most techbros are wannabe nobles.

NEETs are modern day noblemen
Why would you want to be nobility? That just means the NEETs should be the first to be wiped out in a hypothetical revolution.