N

noname223

Angelic
Aug 18, 2020
"Everybody is identical in their secret unspoken belief that way deep down they are different from everyone else."
David Foster Wallace

I currently read a book of him. But not with this quote. I am curious what the replies will be. Personally I could imagine in a suicide forum: I despise myself so much that my self-hatred is next level shit. I feel so much as a failure that I don't think anyone else is that bad or stupid.

Maybe these are some thoughts of a depressed person. Though you are not alone with that. This at least a lesson this forum taught me. I hate me and my life. But at least I am not alone with that.

Yesterday I had a discussion with a friend about individualism and capitalism. He said something like the mixture of his personal preferences is sort of unique if we combine all of them. I was not sure and said something like this might be an individualism trap. We often define us by things we buy. Capitalism teaches us to be an individual and to express us with the things we buy. However in the end we define us by what we purchase (we talked about style and outer appearance). And expressing us over our outer appearance is rather sheep like/ herd mentality and a contrast to deep individualism.
I also added that maybe the extent of free will is an illusion. We feel like we would be free to make decisions. Though the environment we grow up and live in determines a lot of our behaviors. The money we have also restricts the options we have. There are hidden compulsions we are often not always aware. Also on a psychological and physiological level.

By the way the conversation was between me and mybest friend. I think my family envies how much I show love for him. Well he did not ruin my life you morons. And when I can be transparent about my suffering and suicidality it is easier for me to joke with my friends. I had some longer threads on my mind but I need sleep. The points I mentioned are probably only scratches on the surface. Sadly we don't do lengthy debates that often anymore. My friends lost their interest in that. But since I became a lefty we have less differences anyway.

I agree with my friend. If I combine all my idiosyncracies I am sort of unique. Though my psychological needs are pretty similar to the rest of the world in most aspects. I have severe painful mental conditions but I am not alone with that. As DFW said I think it might be an irrational thought that one think I might be unique. DFW was scared that something was falsely wired in his head that works in other people. Personally I doubt have that feeling for me. My inadequacies fit pretty much many losers on the planet who hate themselves, who die a thousand deaths of loneliness daily and that wish that anything hopefully kills them in their sleep.

Off-topic:
There was a person in this forum that made me think. So many of us want to die. And then this young woman who loved life died so quickly. This is so cynical. I am ambivalent whether I am an agnostic. But if there is an almighty God that controls my life it seems like he,she or it wants to drive me to commit suicide. The physics noble prize winner is catholic and believes in God. I watched some interviews. Some physics believe in God which scares me because I am impressed as hell by their skills. Their logic does not seem to be that unreasonable. My religion teacher advocated like the believe in God is like placebo. Believing in him can't do damage. Well when I was suicidal my somewhat religious education let me suffer more. I was so anxious about hell. When I became atheist nothingness could comfort me. So yes it was sort of the noncebo effect. If God determines our lives he cannot be such a good guy when I read torture or rapes stories all over the world. Maybe he is allmighty and does not interact with the world. Maybe he wants to punish me. However this is a pathological thought of depression. I think this is why many modern people question God. They feel like the desire for a higher being is ingrained in most people. Though this is exactly why they become sceptical. Then some of them search for other higher things to believe in. The mammon God of money or spiritual things likle esotericism.
Some become nihilists which canj be a poison too. Maybe I should have focused more on the main topic. But I like my rambling because I can talk about the things which I currently ruminate about. However I have so much things in my mind at least today that it becomes hard to filter them.

• Love
  • Hugs
Reactions: Forever Sleep and LoiteringClouds
LoiteringClouds

LoiteringClouds

Tempus fugit
Feb 7, 2023
Hello @noname223,

If I'm unique, I feel proud,
I'm different from the boring crowd.
If I'm not, I'll make the most of it,
To support a like-minded spirit...

But I want to be in a spotlight,
And want to present myself as bright.

"Everybody is identical in their secret unspoken belief that way deep down they are different from everyone else."
David Foster Wallace

I currently read a book of him. But not with this quote. I am curious what the replies will be.
I agree with DFW, I believe I'm different from everyone else, and I'm trying to defend my belief. I know being different isn't always good, but as a natural-born attention seeker, I can't stop presenting myself as a unique person.
Personally, my mum and brother don't seek attention, but they said they are different from everyone else.

Yesterday I had a discussion with a friend about individualism and capitalism. He said something like the mixture of his personal preferences is sort of unique if we combine all of them. I was not sure and said something like this might be an individualism trap. We often define us by things we buy. Capitalism teaches us to be an individual and to express us with the things we buy. However in the end we define us by what we purchase (we talked about style and outer appearance). And expressing us over our outer appearance is rather sheep like/ herd mentality and a contrast to deep individualism.
Capitalism is very good at monetising our need to be unique, but as you said, sometimes I define myself by what I wear - to be honest, when I wear expensive watch or bag I feel confident a bit. I could make my own bag if I wanted, but people tend to appreciate bags from luxury brands.

I agree with my friend. If I combine all my idiosyncracies I am sort of unique. Though my psychological needs are pretty similar to the rest of the world in most aspects.
My psychological needs are similar, too. Many people find this forum is beneficial because of emotional support they can get here, and I think so too.

I have severe painful mental conditions but I am not alone with that. As DFW said I think it might be an irrational thought that one think I might be unique. DFW was scared that something was falsely wired in his head that works in other people. Personally I doubt have that feeling for me. My inadequacies fit pretty much many losers on the planet who hate themselves, who die a thousand deaths of loneliness daily and that wish that anything hopefully kills them in their sleep.
I'm so sorry to hear that...
I agree, many people, including me, are feeling inadequacy, but they get a ton of cookie-cutter platitudes, which do more harm than good.

I believe each of people should be treated as a unique person.

Personally I think you are unique and interesting - thanks for posting this great thread🙏
I wish your days will be a bit less unbearable 💙💛

LoiteringClouds ☁️

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: noname223
N

noname223

Angelic
Aug 18, 2020
Hello @noname223,

If I'm unique, I feel proud,
I'm different from the boring crowd.
If I'm not, I'll make the most of it,
To support a like-minded spirit...

But I want to be in a spotlight,
And want to present myself as bright.

I agree with DFW, I believe I'm different from everyone else, and I'm trying to defend my belief. I know being different isn't always good, but as a natural-born attention seeker, I can't stop presenting myself as a unique person.
Personally, my mum and brother don't seek attention, but they said they are different from everyone else.

Capitalism is very good at monetising our need to be unique, but as you said, sometimes I define myself by what I wear - to be honest, when I wear expensive watch or bag I feel confident a bit. I could make my own bag if I wanted, but people tend to appreciate bags from luxury brands.

My psychological needs are similar, too. Many people find this forum is beneficial because of emotional support they can get here, and I think so too.

I'm so sorry to hear that...
I agree, many people, including me, are feeling inadequacy, but they get a ton of cookie-cutter platitudes, which do more harm than good.

I believe people should be treated as a unique person.

Personally I think you are unique and interesting - thanks for posting this great thread🙏
I wish your days will be a bit less unbearable 💙💛

LoiteringClouds ☁️
Thank you for your kindness. I noticed you as a very empathetic and compassionate person towards other members. And I appreciate that a lot. Your words were very thoughtful and articulate.

I can relate to many things you said. Sometimes when I wear clothes or shoes from a popular brand this gives me a boost in self-confidence at the same I fear to be an hypocrite because I don't want to define myself over money or my outer appearance too much.

Hugs. :)

• Love
Reactions: LoiteringClouds
F

Forever Sleep

Earned it we have...
May 4, 2022
I think we are all unique. Even identicle twins with the same genetic make up will have slightly different life experiences. I think it's a mixture of our basic genetic set up and our histories that determine how we develop but we all have slight differences.

I suppose the difficulty when it comes to CTB is whether you subscribe to the whole concept that it's our uniqueness that makes us 'special'. That we all have some unique gift or talent that we're supposed to stick around for to share with the world. Personally- I think we all have things we're good at and- not so good at. It's partly luck as to whether the things we have an aptitude for are actually valued in this world. If they're not- why should we stick around?!! Even if what we do is valued though. Even if a person is a complete legend- it's still their life. Why should they be beholden to others just because they're useful to them?

• Hugs
Reactions: noname223 and LoiteringClouds
ToniFoxGirl!!

ToniFoxGirl!!

Maybe a race to nowhere, still hope that I win
Aug 20, 2023
reflecting on it personally, I don't think I'm unique, I think I've had a unique life path, involving some hilarious failures at amazing things. But in terms of me, I don't think I'm unique. There's like 6 other trans girls in my city's scene who play guitar, we all like similar music, we all dress similar, there's nothing particularly unique about me sonically. When it comes to fitness (these are my two hobbies) I'm terrible at it because I have an unhealthy relationship with food brought on by IBS and years of using it as a subtle way to self harm. I feel like part of my CTB desires have come from the realization that I am not special, I'll never have a special life, I'll never create meaning, and I'll die the second death rather quickly.

B

BornByGhosts

wants to overcome Sports Illustrated
Mar 3, 2023
Yeah I feel unique in my experiences and talents. When it comes down to what makes all of us human, not so much.