Anxieyote

Anxieyote

Sobriety over everything else • 30 • Midwest
Mar 24, 2021
Do you ever get the sense that people are reading off of a script when you talk to them? The only people I talk to these days are my coworkers, and sometimes I feel like they are putting on an act.

It's all cheery, happy "I love my job!!" nonsense (at least, I see it as nonsense because I can't fathom how they can enjoy themselves at a retail job).

Is it fake though? Do people put on the smiley-face antics so that they can hold a good social standing, or are they actually that joyful and content with their lives? My natural state is unhappiness, so that's why I suspect they are faking it. Are they, or am I just so far down the depression rabbithole that any positive emotions seem fake?

Reactions: demuic, myopybyproxy, markimobzzdeasui and 5 others
Pluto

Pluto

Meowing to go out
Dec 27, 2020
Yes, feigning contentment is an expected part of professionalism. Over the long term, the need to force positivity can be very unhealthy. In saying that, most people do seem to have pretty sheltered lives compared to us, so there's that, too.

All the world's a stage,
And all the men and women merely players;
They have their exits and their entrances;
And one man in his time plays many parts
(...)

Reactions: demuic, myopybyproxy, WrongPlaceWrongTime and 1 other person
Anxieyote

Anxieyote

Sobriety over everything else • 30 • Midwest
Mar 24, 2021
In saying that, most people do seem to have pretty sheltered lives compared to us, so there's that, too.
This is a possibility as well. I also work with people who are 7 or 8 years younger than me, so life may not have kicked them in the balls yet.

One of them just turned 21, and was bragging about how he gets to try alcohol for the first time. In my head, I was thinking, "please God DON'T" because I have two years of alcoholism under my belt, and I no longer see alcohol as something "fun" or an achievement to be proud of. My reaction is indicative of someone who has played with fire and been burnt, which he may never have the misfortune of experiencing if he is surrounded by good friends and family.

Reactions: WrongPlaceWrongTime and Pluto
Interloper

Interloper

Jul 23, 2021
It does all feel like one gigantic LARP event, which makes watching actual LARPers even funnier.

Reactions: Bone
Grav

Grav

Wizard
Jul 26, 2020
Damn! I was reaching for my d20s. I've got the same ideas and figure I'm just that far down. Meetings really suck.

M

myopybyproxy

flickerbeat \\ gibberish-noise
Dec 18, 2021
feel sometimes like people dont exist. its all a hologram or some computer script. maybe im going crazy but the state of society is so ludicrous it seems the most rational explanation.

Sherri

Sherri

Archangel
Sep 28, 2020
My work is the same, most cheerful, same old normie chats, songs, chit chats, dunno if they are really happy this way, my honest co worker has aspergus syndrome ,he's the most clever and honest from all them. I love chatting to him and see despite his symptoms. He is overwhelming cleaver, politics, the state of the world, has a really hard life. But it's always on time. Sometimes even arrives 1 hour before his shift. When I see he is nervous, he starts to sweat from head to his torso. I just whisper you doing fine, don't worry. We really get along.

Reactions: Anxieyote