paredler

paredler

Student
Jul 31, 2022
It's kinda hard to explain, maybe it's just me getting older and not caring much, but I remember, back when I was a child, notable people were household names and people used to talk about them even if they didn't like their work so much. Celebrities had some sort of "halo" that made them special and interesting. Today, it seems like nobody really cares about celebrities anymore. It's like they're no longer relevant to our lives and they're just regular people working in entertainment. Everything became so trashy in our contemporary pop culture that people who are recognized with it are no longer admired. Can you relate?

Reactions: Forever Sleep, Lost Magic and Rocinante
Rocinante

Rocinante

My name is Lucifer, please take my hand
Aug 26, 2022
Same as celebrities dying now, they'd get so much media coverage for weeks after they passed a decade or two back. Now it's dust in the wind.

Reactions: sserafim and Lost Magic
W

wCvML2

Nov 15, 2021
The rise of the internet definitely played a role in it, now anyone in the limelight is bound to be eventually scrutinized in real time for whatever reason and be a source for drama, even being fake and virtue signaling gets scrutinized in today's age. People nowadays have a much healthier amount of skepticism compared to the naivety of pervious generations so there is less idolization of literally humans. No human should be ever put on a pedestal, that's just weird.

Reactions: Lost Magic
Lost Magic

Lost Magic

Illuminated
May 5, 2020
Yeah, overall not many people care about celebrities opinions, especially on political matters. I think it is because most of them are protected by gated walls and safer communites. They also have access to a lot of things that most people would never see or dream of. Having said that they are still just mortal human beings, and a lot of them have depression and other disorders. Many have also ended it all (the list is long) for a variety of reasons. John Candy and Robin William's passings hit me the hardest. It's because I grew up with their wonderful films, and their work really mattered to me. Basically people like that are one and a billion and a hard act to follow. The British comedian and tv personality, Paul O'Grady, was also another beautiful soul who was funny and cared a lot about people and animals. His departure has left a big empty void in the world of entertainment and just basic human decency.

Last edited:
Angst Filled Fuck Up

Angst Filled Fuck Up

Visionary
Sep 9, 2018
I've noticed this too. I tend to think it's because any person can in theory be in the limelight now, whereas in the past it was reserved for the Hollywood- or musical elite. Someone Ben Affleck might be widely known, but is he more relevant than some influencer who does makeup tutorials on TikTok? It's hard to say. Certainly the playing field is a bit more even what with the internet and visual platforms, and it does seem like we've lost our reverence for the old school celebrities. I want to say that's a good thing, but it's also fueled everyone's hopes for their own 15 minutes of fame, it feels like. This has given rise to a lot of self-importance, main character syndrome, and other undesirable behavior.