N

noname223

Angelic
Aug 18, 2020

affirmative action, in the United States, an active effort to improve employment or educational opportunities for members of minority groups and for women. Affirmative action began as a government remedy to the effects of long-standing discrimination against such groups and has consisted of policies, programs, and procedures that give limited preferences to minorities and women in job hiring, admission to institutions of higher education, the awarding of government contracts, and other social benefits. The typical criteria for affirmative action are race, disability, gender, ethnic origin, and age.

It probably depends on the affirmative action. One cannot generalize it. I already experienced a lot of discrimination due to my disability. It is way harder to get a job. I have many gaps in my CV. And when I admitted I have mental illness I usually had no chance in job interviews. Even in institutions who claim to welcome people with disability. In my country the companies can even get money for recruiting them.

Though in college the benefits are pretty friendly and fair. I could imagine that some people exploit it though. I have more time to prepare/write exams and that helps me to avoid a relapse. But I have met people where I had the feeling they exploit the system. I also met people with very weird special needs. I try not to be judgemental but there were some interesting moments when I talked to other people who get affirmative action. I had kind of the feeling to be in a freak club I have to admit. The professors reacted differently.

There were heterogeneous reactions.
One professor treated us like shit and almost insulted us. I don't really know why he was so rude.
One professor pitied me.
Another professor I had the feeling she suspected the people to exploit the system.

I can remember during my first exam I took one benzo too much and was very sedated. This was one example where the extra time really helped. It was exactly the professor whom I had the feeling to mistrust me.

I appreciate affirmative action and that there is something like that. Will it fully compensate my illness? I doubt it.
Will it prevent my suicide? I doubt it
Is it better than in 90% of the rest of the world? Clearly yes.

What do you think?

Last edited:
S

SamTam33

Warlock
Oct 9, 2022
I think it's considered 'unfair' by some of those who benefit from discrimination.

It's like that quote says "When you're accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression."

Reactions: ButterflyDream and RainAndSadness
ButterflyDream

ButterflyDream

Jan 5, 2023
I think AA is necessary because workplace discrimination against PoC, LGBTQ, Disabled ETC people is so commonplace that people don't even see it as discrimination.