Smilla

Smilla

Visionary
Apr 30, 2018
Am curious if some of you grew up in households where the following was of utmost importance:

1). How you look
2). How you performed— school etc
3). How popular you were (or weren't).

I grew up feeling like crap because I didn't meet the standards set forth by my family.

Even as a grown up my Aunt would ask me "what kind of car are you driving?" when I saw her at family gatherings—first question she asked me. Not "are you happy?" Or "how are you doing?"

Can anyone relate?

Reactions: Journeytoletgo, lv-gras, Rocky M and 1 other person
C

creatureoflight

Mage
Jul 27, 2018
Yeah, my family is extremely (!) successful. No one has less than a PhD except me and my father literally does world class research and came close to winning prestigious medals for his research (he is a math professor.) I'm the family loser in that sense. It was always really hard for me.
The worst part is that my family is also very compassionate and nice and so I can't blame anyone except myself for my failure.

Last edited:
Reactions: Strumgewehr, akosineenee, Smilla and 2 others
T

Tiburcio

Yes but I never chased any of that things. Everyone in this hellhole still tries to impose me their trash standars and I send them to fuck off. I have my balls bloated, I'm extremely tired of the fucking importance of looking good and decent for others, shit, FUCK OTHERS!!!! Let me fucking be as I want, NOT YOU!!!!!!

Reactions: Strumgewehr, Deutsch, Smilla and 1 other person
Smilla

Smilla

Visionary
Apr 30, 2018
Yeah, my family is extremely (!) successful. No one has less than a PhD except me and my father literally does world class research and came close to winning prestigious medals for his research (he is a math professor.) I'm the family loser in that sense. It was always really hard for me.

I can relate. My Dad had a PhD (died when I was four). Sibling is extremely successful and family worshipped him for this.

Wish I had been raised by wolves. Then i might have been okay.

Reactions: lv-gras and skitliv
C

creatureoflight

Mage
Jul 27, 2018
I can relate. My Dad had a PhD (died when I was four). Sibling is extremely successful and family worshipped him for this.

Wish I had been raised by wolves. Then i might have been okay.

Too bad you weren't raised with Romulus and Remus!!

Reactions: lv-gras and Smilla
Smilla

Smilla

Visionary
Apr 30, 2018
The worst part is that my family is also very compassionate and nice and so I can't blame anyone except myself for my failure.

My family isn't compassionate. The opposite.

Don't blame yourself—we all should be able to define success on our own terms.

Reactions: lv-gras
T

TooLate2582

Experienced
May 6, 2018
Not my immediate family, but when holidays came, it was always a competition of which cousin was best, which one of my aunts/uncles had the newest car, who bought who the most expensive Christmas present. They were all involved in real estate and the automotive industry. They lost their asses and are regular working schlubs now.

Reactions: Susannah, lv-gras and Smilla