BitterlyAlive

BitterlyAlive

---
Apr 8, 2020
I had to take a test called the MMPI. It's a series of T/F statements used for diagnostic purposes. On my test, one of the statements was "I have tried to kill myself and no one knows." Thought fuck it and marked it as true. If I want a proper diagnosis, I may as well be honest.

I discussed the results with the mental health professional today. He asked me if I have attempted suicide. I said yes, and then he asked if it was recent. I told him it happened early on this year, explained it may have been my medication. He just said "okay" and moved on. Didn't ask anything like if I still feel this way, didn't ask anything else about the attempt. He even said I overstated the severity of my symptoms, according to the test. In other words, I "may have been malingering."

I feel even more worthless now. Why would I do something like that? I don't want to seem worse than I am, that's dumb. I was being as honest as I could. He read off what my results indicated:
- life is a strain
- anhedonia
- despair
- high levels of anxiety and depression
- physical symptoms, brain fog/difficulty concentrating

There was more, but I can't remember. As he was reading this out loud to me I was nodding and affirming what he was saying. Yet he still suspects I was lying, and dismissed my suicide attempt.

I feel terrible. If a professional thinks I'm faking and doesn't care about the severity of my issues, what am I supposed to think? Were all of these people wrong diagnosing me with severe depression? Am I just being manipulative? Can I even trust what I think I feel?

• Hugs
  • Aww..
Reactions: blueclover_., disabledandhopeless, Deleted member 17331 and 12 others
Grey-zone

Grey-zone

Student
Feb 2, 2019
This guy doesn't sound like he belongs in any psychological/medical field. Unfortunately there are many doctors/therapists like this--conventional and orthodox types who are "suspicious" of any claim to suffering. "No, what you're really going through is THIS."

• Love
Reactions: blueclover_., Frt, disabledandhopeless and 10 others
Lostandfound7

Lostandfound7

Just waiting....
Jan 21, 2020
Hey hun. I don't have any personal experience with MH professionals but I do have experience with many other professionals. Damm, even if I tell my plumber about an issue with my toilet, I would hope he would address it n not move on to my sink!

This MH professional might just suck...Period!

Maybe u can find another one? I have heard from friends that see therapists that it often takes a few visits around to find the one u can "gel" with or one u feel is taking ur situation seriously..♡

Reactions: BitterlyAlive, charlottewilts, kinzokukae and 3 others
E

EGR92

Student
Jul 4, 2020
I'm so sorry to break it to you but mental health professionals are CUNTS and nothing we do 'matters'. Example i was stopped from jumping infront of a train a few weeks ago. I was assessed, i was honest and told them i had planned it for a month, that i never feel safe etc. The result? i was sent home ALONE in a taxi at midnight. (I was too tired but i so wish i had jumped out the taxi and made a further attempt)
I later had a phone call from my lead practitioner (shes in charge of my care) who then left me with no support, put nothing in place for me, no daily phone calls no referral to the crisis team. nothing. They just don't care.

• Wow
  • Hugs
Reactions: Frt, BitterlyAlive, disabledandhopeless and 7 others
Deleted member 17949

Deleted member 17949

Visionary
May 9, 2020
I can't stand this aspect of mental health. I can't prove what's in my head, so people will make their own conclusions about it, and I'm starting to feel like whenever I say something that doesn't fit what that person thinks I should be feeling they just write me off as lying or exaggerating. Other people are just evil, I can't trust anyone tbh.

• Hugs
Reactions: BitterlyAlive, disabledandhopeless, Deleted member 17331 and 5 others
faust

faust

lost among the stars
Jan 26, 2020
A person who never had the symptoms you have or at least something similar... will never fully understand what you are going through. That's the first thing.
Second thing is that they want to set diagnosis as soon as they can to start treatment as soon as you can.
Third, if you are not showing how you feel, they won't see how you feel. Just like when you are walking down the road and see people you cannot say who of them has schizophrenia, BPD, depression, bipolar disorder, etc. If you say different things than what they see, it is hard for them to believe.

I had a similar thing when was presented to emergency department. Nothing helped to avoid 6-8 hour queue. I told that I was feeling very suicidal and described what I feel. First time I came at around maybe 10 p.m. and was suffering until morning (7-8 a.m.) and I still was waiting so decided to leave (during dystonia and akathisia it is impossible even to sit on the chair), second time I was waiting very long (like 7-8 hours) but then they told they can't do anything, booked the appointment to my psychiatrist and the psychiatrist in ED told me to continue with medication I had to take (the one which caused this terrible side effects). Third time when I came was a night already, I missed the queue, however, they told me they cannot help me, that appointment to my psychiatrist is already booked, just fuck off - and discharged me. However, later returned and after like 8 hours of waiting, another psychiatrist came and gave me procyclidine which helped me almost instantly. So it took 3 days( well, 3 days and 12 hours) to let them understand I am not kidding and my well-being is catastrophic. I guess if I started fighting with nurses and breaking the windows, they would have helped me the same day, however, I was constantly shaking, walking, smoking, remained silent, no groaning and screaming - means I am fine. Another guy who was with me the 4th time was laying on the floor crying, groaning, waiting long hours. 3 nurses came and told he cannot lay on the floor, he has to respect others no matter what his condition is.

Well, some details may not be correct because I was in terrible state and time wipes all the memories, however, that's what happened to me. They don't see you as the one who is suffering unless you are bleeding heavily, burning, your bowels are outside your body, etc. If they do not understand how you feel, they may see you as the sensitive person who is not too bad because you don't look too bad.

• Hugs
Reactions: BitterlyAlive, disabledandhopeless, peacefully31425 and 2 others
Grey-zone

Grey-zone

Student
Feb 2, 2019
Third, if you are not showing how you feel, they won't see how you feel. Just like when you are walking down the road and see people you cannot say who of them has schizophrenia, BPD, depression, bipolar disorder, etc. If you say different things than what they see, it is hard for them to believe.
This was my exact experience, especially with the first (college) therapist I went to. I'm not an especially emotive, dramatic person--most of the time I feel placid and aloof, so when I tried to explain to him my long-term depression, frustration with life, and suicidality, he thought I was just sad and "trying to be a man" and hide my emotions--he provided me with an "emotions chart" mostly comprised of 6th grade synonyms for "feeling down and blue"; I don't think it could have occurred to him that the way I presented myself was in fact how I felt, and that neither was it incompatible with frequent despair. I feel this is a basic lesson these practitioners need to know that not everyone's depression, inward our outward, is the same, and listen, fucking listen, to what someone is telling you, whether it seems plausible or not.

Reactions: Frt, BitterlyAlive, GoodPersonEffed and 2 others
faust

faust

lost among the stars
Jan 26, 2020
This was my exact experience, especially with the first (college) therapist I went to. I'm not an especially emotive, dramatic person--most of the time I feel placid and aloof, so when I tried to explain to him my long-term depression, frustration with life, and suicidality, he thought I was just sad and "trying to be a man" and hide my emotions--he provided me with an "emotions chart" mostly comprised of 6th grade synonyms for "feeling down and blue"; I don't think it could have occurred to him that the way I presented myself was in fact how I felt, and that neither was it incompatible with frequent despair. I feel this is a basic lesson these practitioners need to know that not everyone's depression, inward our outward, is the same, and listen, fucking listen, to what someone is telling you, whether it seems plausible or not.
I think this problem is more deep. We are used to the world of extraverts, where as a sample is taken a highly extraversial person. We can clearly see the difference in well-being of extraverts, when they are happy or sad, depressed or feel exaltation. But introverts, if such a generalization can be taken as an example, do not usually show their emotions, how they feel. Hence if such a person is suffering, you cannot say from the first sight that something is wrong. If I feel horrible, nobody notices that because none of emotions are showing how I truly feel. I studied body language once, not a language of gestures, but the unconscious one, how our body acts when we feel one or another way. And noticed that it is very hard to read introverts because even our body movements sometimes mean nothing. But it makes a difference if a person is extraversial. Some body reactions of introverts are typical for introverts but if we consider extraverts, for them this means lack of openness, that there is something they are hiding, deception, uncertainty, etc. Some therapists can read your body language too and falsely make conclusions. That's what happens when they use this kind of "sample".

GoodPersonEffed

GoodPersonEffed

Brevity is my middle name, but my name was TL
Jan 11, 2020
Am I just being manipulative?

No, he was.

Can I even trust what I think I feel?

Yes.

The fact that you question being able to trust your own very clear impressions indicates you were gaslighted, which is a manipulative technique; the more you doubt and accept the other's narrative, the more power and control they have over you. I don't know what his agenda was and I don't have to, there is sufficient evidence that he had one against you, and imo it signifies a need to protect, including breaking off contact with him and maintaining that. But it's up to you to listen to your own gut and make your own assessments and decisions.

In my experiences, and I've had positive, negative, ad neutral ones, a genuine and trustworthy mental health practitioner who practices and honors healthy boundaries will encourage your self-authority and autonomy. They will encourage self-control, not try to control you or convince you that you don't know what you know.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: Frt, Saed, disabledandhopeless and 1 other person
BitterlyAlive

BitterlyAlive

---
Apr 8, 2020
This guy doesn't sound like he belongs in any psychological/medical field. Unfortunately there are many doctors/therapists like this--conventional and orthodox types who are "suspicious" of any claim to suffering. "No, what you're really going through is THIS."
He seemed alright before, but then this happened... At least my doctor listens. She's about the only one though.
Hey hun. I don't have any personal experience with MH professionals but I do have experience with many other professionals. Damm, even if I tell my plumber about an issue with my toilet, I would hope he would address it n not move on to my sink!

This MH professional might just suck...Period!

Maybe u can find another one? I have heard from friends that see therapists that it often takes a few visits around to find the one u can "gel" with or one u feel is taking ur situation seriously..♡
I should try to find another one. I'm so tired of trying to find one though. I've picked and dropped so many this year. If I wasn't living with people who expect me to get help, I would just stop. Thanks for the advice and funny plumber analogy though mate.I t's I
I'm so sorry to break it to you but mental health professionals are CUNTS and nothing we do 'matters'. Example i was stopped from jumping infront of a train a few weeks ago. I was assessed, i was honest and told them i had planned it for a month, that i never feel safe etc. The result? i was sent home ALONE in a taxi at midnight. (I was too tired but i so wish i had jumped out the taxi and made a further attempt)
I later had a phone call from my lead practitioner (shes in charge of my care) who then left me with no support, put nothing in place for me, no daily phone calls no referral to the crisis team. nothing. They just don't care.
I'm so sorry that happened to you. You are a human being and you deserve much better treatment. That lead practitioner in particular can go fuck herself. She literally abandoned you.
I can't stand this aspect of mental health. I can't prove what's in my head, so people will make their own conclusions about it, and I'm starting to feel like whenever I say something that doesn't fit what that person thinks I should be feeling they just write me off as lying or exaggerating. Other people are just evil, I can't trust anyone tbh.
I'm really good at faking it, and I naturally put up the facade around professionals. That....probably didn't help my case. But we should still be taken seriously, no matter how we present ourselves.
A person who never had the symptoms you have or at least something similar... will never fully understand what you are going through. That's the first thing.
Second thing is that they want to set diagnosis as soon as they can to start treatment as soon as you can.

I had a similar thing when was presented to emergency department. Nothing helped to avoid 6-8 hour queue. I told that I was feeling very suicidal and described what I feel. First time I came at around maybe 10 p.m. and was suffering until morning (7-8 a.m.) and I still was waiting so decided to leave (during dystonia and akathisia it is impossible even to sit on the chair), second time I was waiting very long (like 7-8 hours) but then they told they can't do anything, booked the appointment to my psychiatrist and the psychiatrist in ED told me to continue with medication I had to take (the one which caused this terrible side effects). Third time when I came was a night already, I missed the queue, however, they told me they cannot help me, that appointment to my psychiatrist is already booked, just fuck off - and discharged me. However, later returned and after like 8 hours of waiting, another psychiatrist came and gave me procyclidine which helped me almost instantly. So it took 3 days( well, 3 days and 12 hours) to let them understand I am not kidding and my well-being is catastrophic. I guess if I started fighting with nurses and breaking the windows, they would have helped me the same day, however, I was constantly shaking, walking, smoking, remained silent, no groaning and screaming - means I am fine. Another guy who was with me the 4th time was laying on the floor crying, groaning, waiting long hours. 3 nurses came and told he cannot lay on the floor, he has to respect others no matter what his condition is.

Well, some details may not be correct because I was in terrible state and time wipes all the memories, however, that's what happened to me. They don't see you as the one who is suffering unless you are bleeding heavily, burning, your bowels are outside your body, etc. If they do not understand how you feel, they may see you as the sensitive person who is not too bad because you don't look too bad.
You're absolutely right with that first sentence. But even if you can't understand what someone is going through, you can at least try to have some sympathy. I don't get it. My job is to sit with people in the ER and keep them safe; I'm not trying to brag at all but a lot of them are relieved and grateful by the end of my shift. Why? Because even if I don't understand their circumstances, I bloody listen to them and try my best to understand. I take what they say seriously even if they look fine, because clearly they need help and... ah, whatever. Lost my train of thought. If I can do that, as a person with no training or skills, then a mental health professional can as well. Sorry, kind of ranted... Um, anyway.

I'm so sorry about your experience trying to get help. It sounds like it was awful, especially with the akathisia. That is a special kind of hell by itself, good Lord. You deserved to be treated better, and you shouldn't have had to go multiple times to be taken seriously. And shame on them for being so rude to the guy crying. Good Lord. I've seen that happen a few times at my job, unfortunately.
I feel this is a basic lesson these practitioners need to know that not everyone's depression, inward our outward, is the same, and listen, fucking listen, to what someone is telling you, whether it seems plausible or not.
Absolutely. I was also given a feelings wheel because I told my therapist that I only seem to feel anxiety, anger, disgust, fear, or sadness - other times I'm numb or empty. They told me I don't feel this way, I just think I do because I don't understand emotions. I had the same exact document hanging in my room for about a year and a half prior to that session because I wanted to explore it myself and make sure I knew what I was talking about. To just be dismissed and...er, basically gaslighted, was bloody hurtful. I'm sorry you basically had the same thing happen.
In my experiences, and I've had positive, negative, ad neutral ones, a genuine and trustworthy mental health practitioner who practices and honors healthy boundaries will encourage your self-authority and autonomy. They will encourage self-control, not try to control you or convince you that you don't know what you know.
I have to take some time, without my initial reaction, to think about the situation. Maybe I'm being too emotional about it and I'm not thinking as clearly as I could. Idk.

I can say that my doctor is like what I quoted, at least. She trusts my judgment and we have years of rapport, which helps. No therapist has been like this, but at least my doctor is. Sigh. Thanks for your insight, mate.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: faust, GoodPersonEffed and Lostandfound7
Frt

Frt

Apr 1, 2020

I'm very agréé with you !!! Fuck thé doctors

Reactions: faust and EGR92