Hikikomori1

Hikikomori1

Experienced
Mar 27, 2023
Instead of having many separate threads on the same topic i decided to make one big megathread for Aokigahara Jukai ( 青木ヶ原樹海) aka The Japanese Suicide forest.

Japanese and English are both allowed in this thread.

QjrE4yyfw5pQYiuVvgYiUBP16WHGGN7UNn1BCdGeA3qYgGXFQz72xRp67fVbQ52eFNLgNPbmVWzdoe6kS2MiFxV32yMpmt

Last edited:
  • Love
  • Informative
Reactions: not-2-b-the-answer, sorrowful, sserafim and 12 others
Hikikomori1

Hikikomori1

Experienced
Mar 27, 2023
Thread bump.

• Love
Reactions: not-2-b-the-answer, fay13, alrondlondo and 1 other person
soft-flower345

soft-flower345

🌸I'm ashamed of who I've become🌸
May 15, 2023
If anyone has ever been there would you mind sharing your experience? Does it make for a good ctb spot? Is it touristy? I may visit japan shortly before I CTB and I'd really like to visit Aokigahara, I haven't chosen a location and this one is one I'm considering.

Reactions: not-2-b-the-answer, sserafim, AstroV and 4 others
voc_89

voc_89

Experienced
Apr 10, 2023
i felt a legit wave of grief when I found out about it as I always thought that Japan was the last bastion of hope and happiness. Clearly not if CTB is so rampant that there is a legit suicide forest. Makes u think just how intense/bad life is over there. And how much quietly suffer everyday. I still hope to visit Japan one day. My inner otaku demands it

Reactions: not-2-b-the-answer, KAZ-2Y5, Praestat_Mori and 1 other person
emptyheart

emptyheart

Jun 7, 2023
i felt a legit wave of grief when I found out about it as I always thought that Japan was the last bastion of hope and happiness. Clearly not if CTB is so rampant that there is a legit suicide forest. Makes u think just how intense/bad life is over there. And how much quietly suffer everyday. I still hope to visit Japan one day. My inner otaku demands it
There is a long tradition of suicide in Japan. This is from wiki…

There is substantial cultural tolerance for suicide, which has been "elevated to the level of an aesthetic experience" through cultural and social experiences common to many Japanese.[34]

The general attitude toward suicide has been termed "tolerant", and in many occasions suicide is seen as a morally responsible action.[35] This cultural tolerance may stem from the historical function of suicide in the military. In feudal Japan, honorable formal suicide (seppuku) among samurai (Japanese warrior) was considered a justified response to failure or inevitable defeat in battle. Traditionally, seppuku involved the slashing open of one's stomach with a sword. The purpose of this was to release the samurai's spirit upon the enemy and thus avoid dishonorable execution and probable torture at the hand of an enemy. Today, honor suicides are also referred to as hara-kiri, literally "belly-cutting".[36]

• Informative
Reactions: reiII, not-2-b-the-answer, sserafim and 10 others
CursedReality88

CursedReality88

May 23, 2023
It's far from it and I'm surprised you as an Otaku aren't aware with it. It's common knowledge that Japan is struggling with long and tough work hours. Even for Manga artists, they work long hours to the point where they get sick and have to take a break. You also have your neets and elderly who sees themselves as burdens. Japan like in a lot of other Asian countries have bullying issues too. Every country has it's issues, but as a tourist you shouldn't worry. It's a ton of fun. I personally spent hundreds in Gachapons lol.

Reactions: bebebeep, not-2-b-the-answer, Rogue Proxy and 10 others
voc_89

voc_89

Experienced
Apr 10, 2023
There is a long tradition of suicide in Japan. This is from wiki…

There is substantial cultural tolerance for suicide, which has been "elevated to the level of an aesthetic experience" through cultural and social experiences common to many Japanese.[34]

The general attitude toward suicide has been termed "tolerant", and in many occasions suicide is seen as a morally responsible action.[35] This cultural tolerance may stem from the historical function of suicide in the military. In feudal Japan, honorable formal suicide (seppuku) among samurai (Japanese warrior) was considered a justified response to failure or inevitable defeat in battle. Traditionally, seppuku involved the slashing open of one's stomach with a sword. The purpose of this was to release the samurai's spirit upon the enemy and thus avoid dishonorable execution and probable torture at the hand of an enemy. Today, honor suicides are also referred to as hara-kiri, literally "belly-cutting".[36]
back then I was naive. DBZ, Naruto, Bleach and One Piece painted a world full of imagination, intrigue and ingenuity. But like most things in life I found out it was a facade (CTB also happens along mangaka). That said, I can understand why it is so rampant in Japan. Extreme bullying (very rampant there), constant overwork (common for workers to work for 12 hours or more a day), bad parenting, unrealistic standards/demands, inability to come back from mistakes.... yh. Sounds like paradise.....
It's far from it and I'm surprised you as an Otaku aren't aware with it. It's common knowledge that Japan is struggling with long and tough work hours. Even for Manga artists, they work long hours to the point where they get sick and have to take a break. You also have your neets and elderly who sees themselves as burdens. Japan like in a lot of other Asian countries have bullying issues too. Every country has it's issues, but as a tourist you shouldn't worry. It's a ton of fun. I personally spent hundreds in Gachapons lol.
I started watching anime when I was 11/12 (dial up internet days). I only picked up on the bad parts of Japan when I was maybe 15/16 (when broadband was more widely available and also faster...). Lol. Internet back then was dial-up. Back then buffering or downloading videos took up all your bandwith. Broadband in the earlies was also as painfully slow as dial-up (it was just cheaper). So I never wasted precious bandwith outside of my interest (watching anime). But you are right. Even Naruto (with the bullying) should have been an indication.

Last edited:
  • Hugs
  • Aww..
Reactions: not-2-b-the-answer, LonelyKitten, Rogue Proxy and 4 others
Hikikomori1

Hikikomori1

Experienced
Mar 27, 2023
Have you been here

No but i want to go.
If anyone has ever been there would you mind sharing your experience? Does it make for a good ctb spot? Is it touristy? I may visit japan shortly before I CTB and I'd really like to visit Aokigahara, I haven't chosen a location and this one is one I'm considering.

I am considering it too.

The Japanese are not allowed to be their true selves and express themselves openly in Japanese society especially within the workplace they can only do that behind closed doors.
You also have your neets and elderly who sees themselves as burdens.

Yep there are 613000 middle age and elderly hikikomori who are in their 50s and 60s who are still living with their parents who are in their 70s and 80s.

This is called the 80/50 problem.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: XIII, Praestat_Mori, Ashu and 1 other person
voc_89

voc_89

Experienced
Apr 10, 2023
No but i want to go.

I am considering it too.

The Japanese are not allowed to be their true selves and express themselves openly in Japanese society especially within the workplace they can only do that behind closed doors.

Yep there are 613000 middle age and elderly hikikomori who are in their 50s and 60s who are still living with their parents who are in their 70s and 80s.

This is called the 80/50 problem.
I found out that (not being allowed to be true to yourself) as well. Its a pity that things are so rigid, tough and oppressive there when, imo, Japan appears to have one of the most creative and ingenious societies in the world. I am hoping to be able to visit in 2025 (assuming I am still around then....)

Reactions: not-2-b-the-answer, Watlock, Praestat_Mori and 2 others
Hikikomori1

Hikikomori1

Experienced
Mar 27, 2023
I found out that (not being allowed to be true to yourself) as well. Its a pity that things are so rigid, tough and oppressive there when, imo, Japan appears to have one of the most creative and ingenious societies in the world. I am hoping to be able to visit in 2025 (assuming I am still around then....)

I plan to visit at some point as well.

• Love
Reactions: not-2-b-the-answer, Praestat_Mori, blackwidow and 1 other person
delusionalgirl

delusionalgirl

I have my ticket. Awaiting my journey
Jun 17, 2023
If I had the money, this would be the place I go.

• Love
Reactions: not-2-b-the-answer, Praestat_Mori and Hikikomori1
IndyAna

IndyAna

🤍
Feb 9, 2023
I always thought that Japan was the last bastion of hope and happiness.
sorry but, I can't read this as any way other than satire. wish there was a "huh" react or smth.

Reactions: Silly Bean, snowcloud9, Made4TV and 2 others
waiting93

waiting93

May 25, 2023
This would be a nice idea or even better for me would be the Golden Gate Bridge if I was going to travel

Reactions: not-2-b-the-answer, bridgegirl, Hikikomori1 and 1 other person
tiredofbreathing

tiredofbreathing

Jan 3, 2023
I wouldn't recommend it because the forest floor is hardened lava and there are openings you can fall into and I kept getting my feet caught

• Informative
Reactions: not-2-b-the-answer, Hikikomori1, Praestat_Mori and 1 other person
soft-flower345

soft-flower345

🌸I'm ashamed of who I've become🌸
May 15, 2023
I wouldn't recommend it because the forest floor is hardened lava and there are openings you can fall into and I kept getting my feet caught
How large are these openings? I wouldn't mind navigating tricky terrain.

Reactions: not-2-b-the-answer, Hikikomori1 and Praestat_Mori
Pidgeons_Sparrows

Pidgeons_Sparrows

-flying rat
Apr 16, 2023
i wish i could ctb in aokigahara but im an europoor wageslave so i dont have the money for a trip to japan

• Hugs
Reactions: not-2-b-the-answer, Hikikomori1, Praestat_Mori and 1 other person
P

Praestat_Mori

Mori praestat, quam haec pati!
May 21, 2023
I heard about this forest years ago when I wasn't even suicidal at all. The sad thing for me is if I had the chance to go there I wouldn't be suicidal at all coz my life would be in order the way I want it to be. What a weired world outa there!

Reactions: not-2-b-the-answer, neonzebra and Hikikomori1
gomikasu

gomikasu

Jun 2, 2023
I personally wouldn't recommened it. It's hard to get to without a car and I can't imagine taxis' would be too thrilled taking a foreigner after logan paul. Your best bet would be to find some suicidal jpniki on 5ch or the japanese equivelant of ss(I've done a decent search and haven't managed to find one). Funnily enough I'm using plans to go to japan as a cover story to my family that I'm not going to ctb lol.

Edit: 死にたい、消したい、自殺、andメンヘラ/メンタルヘルス are some good starting points. This will only work if you can read/write japanese, machine translation is notoriously bad, especially with some of the self censoring they do. ◯ね、◯ろす etc.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: not-2-b-the-answer, sad_dude, Hikikomori1 and 2 others
90starve

90starve

i don’t know who i am
May 8, 2023
they can vary massively, and the forest is massively overgrown so you may not know you're about to step in one.

people that go into the forest to CTB often attach coloured ribbons to the trees, in order to find their way back if deciding not to go thru with it - i have heard that it's hard to navigate even for frequent visitors due to the terrain.

mitsurumors

mitsurumors

She sells seashells on the seashore 🎶
Jun 11, 2023
I don't know if I would wanna CTB if I had the money to finally (!) travel to Japan
Like that's one of my big wishes and the aspect of never being able to go there is one of the reasons why I'm suicidal in the first place
If I could travel to Japan life would be definitely good enough to cease those ctb thoughts for a good amount of time

I mean enough people corrected you already on that one, but besides your dial up internet stories (I know that, I've been there): have you never read manga? Or watched any anime besides the Weekly Shonen Jump stuff? You have a pfp of Oyasumi Punpun, did you read that? Because the problems with Japan and Suicide are not a topic well hidden in anime and manga
You have a lot of works that protray the bullying problem, but also what parents expect of their children and the intense workload even students already have with normal school, school clubs, Cram schools and homework having them occupied deep into the night
Then getting into university is combined with more Cram school, and again: bullying and workload
And then there's the work life: working oneself to death is so common place they even have a name for it: Karoshi
Your workplace *is* your family, the one waiting at home doesn't matter. You are supposed to stay longer than your senpais because it's rude leaving before your senpais. You're supposed to not take your holidays but work for your workplace. And whenever the chefs wanna go out drinking you're not allowed to decline. And if you miss the last train home? Well sucks, guess you gotta sleep on the street
Another thing: If you haven't married until 25? Well guess what, you're a suspicious loser now and probably never will marry! If you're living in an apartment you've gotta deal with super cramped living spaces and super thin walls, making you and your neighbors intimate with each other. But being loud is super frown upon anyway, so best be as silent as possible – if you're at home, that is.

If you want media covering those topics that aren't documentaries I'd recommend mangas like NHK ni Yokoso, every more mature romance manga (like Kare first love or anything from that artist), stuff from the Oyasumi Punpun artist, and honestly there's a lot out there if you're not focused on your Weekly Shonen Jump manga and anime.

they can vary massively, and the forest is massively overgrown so you may not know you're about to step in one.

people that go into the forest to CTB often attach coloured ribbons to the trees, in order to find their way back if deciding not to go thru with it - i have heard that it's hard to navigate even for frequent visitors due to the terrain.
It's not only the terrain, it's also the magnetic field, making compasses and devices like phones or even flashlights go haywire, and the forest has it's way to turn you around and around until you've lost all your sense of orientation
They also believe that the ghosts of the passed and other Yokai's/Oni's try to convince even non suicidal people into commiting, making it dangerous even for the people that go in there and search for bodies and belongings

• Wow
Reactions: lifeisbutadream, not-2-b-the-answer, Hikikomori1 and 3 others
F

Forever Sleep

Earned it we have...
May 4, 2022
'inevitable defeat in battle.'

This sums up my life really.

I watched a documentary on it and there are these colured strings winding throughout. It's so easy to get lost apparently- so people will mark their route with string while they contemplate whether they really want to go ahead with CTB. The people who go in to search for people always have the fear that at the end of the string, they'll find a dead body.

Hikikomori1

Hikikomori1

Experienced
Mar 27, 2023
It's hard to get to without a car and I can't imagine taxis' would be too thrilled taking a foreigner after logan paul.

You could also just take the bus which is what most Japanese do.

Reactions: not-2-b-the-answer
gomikasu

gomikasu

Jun 2, 2023
We recommend secluded forests, especially national forests. Jukai is no longer under strict surveillance.
If you want the corpse to be found early, send a letter in advance stating where your body will be.
There is a possibility that the attempt will end in a public place, and it will be traumatic for the finder, so it is safer to avoid it.
This is my rough translation from a japanese hanging thread. It would be nice if you would follow their guidelines.

Reactions: not-2-b-the-answer and Hikikomori1
tiredofbreathing

tiredofbreathing

Jan 3, 2023
You could try going but just keep in mind that you could fall in a hole and break a leg or get injured. I believe that's why some people are never found. Litterly every step I took I had to use extreme caution. But people do ctb there so it is possible. If you go like the other user said just make sure you have a ribbon and maybe tell someone your going there who is trustworthy

Hikikomori1

Hikikomori1

Experienced
Mar 27, 2023
You could try going but just keep in mind that you could fall in a hole and break a leg or get injured. I believe that's why some people are never found. Litterly every step I took I had to use extreme caution. But people do ctb there so it is possible. If you go like the other user said just make sure you have a ribbon and maybe tell someone your going there who is trustworthy

This guy seems to get around just fine.

Reactions: lifeisbutadream and Praestat_Mori
voc_89

voc_89

Experienced
Apr 10, 2023
sorry but, I can't read this as any way other than satire. wish there was a "huh" react or smth.
hi. I really appreciate this website as it is judgement free. A place where we can discuss things we never tell others as we understand where others are coming from. I am sorry if you don't understand where I am coming from. Anime was a place of escape for me at a time when everything was crumbling around me. It was and to this day is my sanctuary. When something is so special to you you naturally idealise it. Thus it is not farfetched for me to believe that Japan, where this content originated, was an ideal place to live. I only found out in my mid-teens that this was not the case. Again I am sorry if you don't believe me
I don't know if I would wanna CTB if I had the money to finally (!) travel to Japan
Like that's one of my big wishes and the aspect of never being able to go there is one of the reasons why I'm suicidal in the first place
If I could travel to Japan life would be definitely good enough to cease those ctb thoughts for a good amount of time

I mean enough people corrected you already on that one, but besides your dial up internet stories (I know that, I've been there): have you never read manga? Or watched any anime besides the Weekly Shonen Jump stuff? You have a pfp of Oyasumi Punpun, did you read that? Because the problems with Japan and Suicide are not a topic well hidden in anime and manga
You have a lot of works that protray the bullying problem, but also what parents expect of their children and the intense workload even students already have with normal school, school clubs, Cram schools and homework having them occupied deep into the night
Then getting into university is combined with more Cram school, and again: bullying and workload
And then there's the work life: working oneself to death is so common place they even have a name for it: Karoshi
Your workplace *is* your family, the one waiting at home doesn't matter. You are supposed to stay longer than your senpais because it's rude leaving before your senpais. You're supposed to not take your holidays but work for your workplace. And whenever the chefs wanna go out drinking you're not allowed to decline. And if you miss the last train home? Well sucks, guess you gotta sleep on the street
Another thing: If you haven't married until 25? Well guess what, you're a suspicious loser now and probably never will marry! If you're living in an apartment you've gotta deal with super cramped living spaces and super thin walls, making you and your neighbors intimate with each other. But being loud is super frown upon anyway, so best be as silent as possible – if you're at home, that is.

If you want media covering those topics that aren't documentaries I'd recommend mangas like NHK ni Yokoso, every more mature romance manga (like Kare first love or anything from that artist), stuff from the Oyasumi Punpun artist, and honestly there's a lot out there if you're not focused on your Weekly Shonen Jump manga and anime.

It's not only the terrain, it's also the magnetic field, making compasses and devices like phones or even flashlights go haywire, and the forest has it's way to turn you around and around until you've lost all your sense of orientation
They also believe that the ghosts of the passed and other Yokai's/Oni's try to convince even non suicidal people into commiting, making it dangerous even for the people that go in there and search for bodies and belongings
Sigh. In my comments I indicated that i found that out after the fact... in my mid-teens. Anime around that time (Yu yu Hakasho, DBZ, Naruto, One Piece, Bleach, Samurai X, etc.) didn't really touch on these serious issues (Shonen anime rarely do). Bar Naruto. But there was a 'reason' behind his shunning. There is another thread where people discuss their pfps and why they chose it. I spoke about Oyasumi Punpun there (in time I gravitated towards darker anime/manga Inio Asano has quickly become my most favorite mangaka). I believe there has been a serious misinterpretation and rather than take the time to read my comment and responses properly and objectively (in the dial-up days... these things about Japan were not something u would have known about unless u were actively looking for it) I am being attacked. I did not expect that here. Respectfully I do not want to discuss this again. Please thanks.

Last edited:
  • Hugs
Reactions: not-2-b-the-answer, Made4TV, neonzebra and 1 other person
A

Adios Amigos

Mar 11, 2023
I went in 2019 with a few mates. We took the train from tokyo to fuji and hired bikes and rode along side it. We didn't see anything as we entered off a random part. Quite eerie

Hikikomori1

Hikikomori1

Experienced
Mar 27, 2023
I went in 2019 with a few mates. We took the train from tokyo to fuji and hired bikes and rode along side it. We didn't see anything as we entered off a random part. Quite eerie

What was it like?

Reactions: not-2-b-the-answer