Water-Lily

Water-Lily

Enlightened
Dec 26, 2020
I was never allowed to have my own style as a child. Even in teenage hood my mom and aunt both picked out clothes to control me. I could not have an identity. My aunt did have a bit more leeway, but my mom was intent on making me look "respectable" and "not like other kids". My whole wardrobe, except for a few things, are my families style. I have no identity lol

Anyone experience this?

• Hugs
  • Aww..
Reactions: lobster salad, Sprite_Geist, shush and 3 others
MindFrog

MindFrog

:Professional Hypocrite:
Nov 19, 2020
Yeah.. for some reason how I dress and look felt very important to my mom. It gets to the point where we fight on what shoes I should wear.

Every haircut appointment I have, she has to be there, I cant count how many times I'm forced to get a hairstyle I hate cause "she knows better than me".

I had to teach myself how to have my own autonomy. And it felt like I'm disrespecting her. You can't win.

• Hugs
Reactions: lobster salad, stygal and Water-Lily
Water-Lily

Water-Lily

Enlightened
Dec 26, 2020
Yeah.. for some reason how I dress and look felt very important to my mom. It gets to the point where we fight on what shoes I should wear.

Every haircut appointment I have, she has to be there, I cant count how many times I'm forced to get a hairstyle I hate cause "she knows better than me".

I had to teach myself how to have my own autonomy. And it felt like I'm disrespecting her. You can't win.
I feel this so much. Our moms are control freaks. In my case, my mom has died. I try tope more independent now but its still a struggle *hugs*

• Hugs
Reactions: MindFrog
Squiddy

Squiddy

Here Lies My Hopes And Dreams
Sep 4, 2019
Mine picked out my clothes til after about 4th grade. Then my grandma would take me back to school clothes shopping and try to control me especially in middle school expressing her disapproval for somewhat but not too much low cut tops and small high heels. She even tried to pick out this ugly jean dress for me (our clothing styles were so different and I didn't like any dresses at the time). Eventually in high school, she let me pick my own clothes.

• Hugs
Reactions: MindFrog and Water-Lily
stygal

stygal

low-wage worker
Oct 29, 2020
Thankfully that didn't happen to me to that extent.
My whole family doesn't really care how I walk around.
There just has been a phase in my life during kindergarten where my ocd made me want to wear the same thing (a particular dress with some particular shoes) over and over and over again to the point my parents would try to force me to wear something/anything else and I would scream and fight as much as I could until they eventually gave up and let me wear my stupid dress.
Got out of that phase myself eventually though.

Last edited:
Reactions: DocNo and MindFrog
Dr Iron Arc

Dr Iron Arc

Into the Unknown
Feb 10, 2020
For a while neither parents of mine were really picking my clothes because I went to a private school that was pretty strict on the uniform. My parents did make me dress in layers under the uniform because they were constantly being afraid of me being cold.

When I moved to public school I was living with only my dad and he dictated most of what I wear which ended up being close to my old uniform anyway: polo shirts when it's warm and turtlenecks when it's cold.

Since living with my mom, I just let her buy my clothes usually the only clothes I buy for myself are t shirts. I've had friends go with me to buy clothes for myself but I usually don't end up liking wearing fashionable clothes much for whatever reason. I don't have a good fashion sense at all, I mainly just like to wear what's comfortable which I realize is another detriment to my appearance.

Reactions: MindFrog
W’ren

W’ren

Worthless
Oct 28, 2020
As a child my mother made most of my clothes- and pretty much controlled what i wore.

As a teen i would wear the "acceptable" clothing my parents approved of as i left the house, and bring a change of clothes from my secret stash of clothing that i expressed myself with.

Even now, i get sick to my stomach at the thought of my parents disapproving of something i'm doing but i try to do it anyway. I try to break free of their control- i can't believe i'm as old as i am and still so influenced by them.

• Hugs
Reactions: MindFrog and Water-Lily
Water-Lily

Water-Lily

Enlightened
Dec 26, 2020
As a child my mother made most of my clothes- and pretty much controlled what i wore.

As a teen i would wear the "acceptable" clothing my parents approved of as i left the house, and bring a change of clothes from my secret stash of clothing that i expressed myself with.

Even now, i get sick to my stomach at the thought of my parents disapproving of something i'm doing but i try to do it anyway. I try to break free of their control- i can't believe i'm as old as i am and still so influenced by them.
You are not alone. My mom did the same to me. Our parents abused us into making us depend on them and it'll take time to hopefully break from their chains.
Since my mom is no longer alive I can sort of do what I want. Depending on what I wear my dad will try to give my "dad advice" but I know it comes from a good place. just annoying

• Hugs
Reactions: MindFrog and W’ren
Water-Lily

Water-Lily

Enlightened
Dec 26, 2020
Figured I would come back to this thread I made some time ago. It hurts to see how others struggle with this. I feel robbed in a way of my identity

• Hugs
Reactions: MindFrog and lobster salad