Ambivalent1

Ambivalent1

🎵 Be all, end all 🎵
Apr 17, 2023
I did and I felt great. When my memory returned, I felt this sweeping darkness wash over me. Trauma is like being possessed in a sense. Terrible

endofafoxtwo

endofafoxtwo

silly red fox guy
May 1, 2023
Not really. My extensuve trauma gives me memory issues but not the nice kind. Morr like the, I forget what I am doing as I am doing it because my mental bandwidth is taken up almost entirely with trauma management in the background.

StolenLife

StolenLife

Warlock
Sep 19, 2022
Yep. I don't remember a single thing from high school besides what classrooms somehow looked like. When I remember my trauma, which is usually through dreams, my entire day gets ruined afterwards and I have this overwhelming sense of dread. my memory is bad nowdays in general, I barely remember movies I have watched or books I've read.

UsagiDrop

UsagiDrop

“What a beautiful day to haunt the earth.”
Apr 27, 2023
Yes, I repressed a very specific memory probably because my brain knew that was the only way I would survive the aftermath of that event. Once I was out of it, things started to trickle back to me very slowly. It's been years now and it still happens every now and then. Just a few weeks ago while I was sleeping (and I don't normally dream, or visualize anything in my head at all for that matter), I heard what was happening to me and the way I whined and screamed for it to stop. Didn't even know I screamed when it was happening, haha, all of this time I thought I took things like a champ. Needless to say, whenever I end up remembering something I really wish I could just keep repressed, a good time always follows. :~)

Saudade

Saudade

Longing for a person that is absent
May 1, 2023
I struggle from pretty bad ptsd and have these brief blanking moments about my past. Sometimes it can get troubling but I recognize the benefit it might actually be giving me.

KuriGohan&Kamehameha

KuriGohan&Kamehameha

想死不能 - 想活不能
Nov 23, 2020
Yeah, I think this is incredibly common for those of us who have been through traumatic experiences, as it shapes our memory and the plasticity of other cognitive functions in a variety of ways. Trying to block out or forget the experience can be the brain's way of coping with it, but those associations are so strong, it is nearly impossible for the memories of the traumatic event to fade fully. Though I will say with time, the details of certain things have gotten a bit fuzzier. Likewise, traumatic memories can become an obsessive impulse that your brain wants to linger on. I find that the feelings, especially profound loss of life if you witnessed an ongoing traumatic situation for a long period of time, are the ones which seem to penetrate my consciousness frequently.

F

Forever Sleep

Earned it we have...
May 4, 2022
It's hard to tell really. I just don't seem to have a brain that remembers when I did certain things. I notice it more when I'm around 'normal' people- they seem to have more continuity looking back on their lives. I feel as if I have lived multiple lives. A lot I think I have forgotten (mercifully.) Other parts I know happened but I don't know when. My Dad is like it too. I don't know then- if it is just that we aren't wired like that- or- that we've both gone through stuff we'd rathet just forget.

Reactions: KuriGohan&Kamehameha