A

After Life

Nov 6, 2021
Dose anyone have any information about how contagious and the effects are of omikron?

C

Circles

Visionary
Sep 3, 2018
No but it's comical how they're naming the new one like a Pokémon or Transformers name.

• Yay!
Reactions: Élégie, WrongPlaceWrongTime, Death is beautiful and 6 others
CFLoser

CFLoser

I fcking hate myself
Dec 5, 2018
No but it's comical how they're naming the new one like a Pokémon or Transformers name.
They're saving the scariest names for when they want us to really stay inside.

The OMEGA variant is gonna ravage our asses I can't wait.

• Yay!
  • Wow
Reactions: Élégie, WrongPlaceWrongTime, Rogue Proxy and 4 others
S

seaweaves

they/them
Oct 25, 2021
Researchers are trying to be cautious in separating out possible confounds that could be impacting knowledge (eg, is it actually more transmissible, or is the spread due to people becoming too lax with public health behaviours after two years, etc), so our knowledge is still unfolding. Sequencing and identifying different lineages doesn't by itself tell us about the virus' behavior, so it will still be a little more still until we have more robust data.

Omicron is kinda funny (and appropriately deceptacon-evil scary) to me too!

Reactions: $nowLeopard and After Life
A

After Life

Nov 6, 2021
Researchers are trying to be cautious in separating out possible confounds that could be impacting knowledge (eg, is it actually more transmissible, or is the spread due to people becoming too lax with public health behaviours after two years, etc), so our knowledge is still unfolding. Sequencing and identifying different lineages doesn't by itself tell us about the virus' behavior, so it will still be a little more still until we have more robust data.

Omicron is kinda funny (and appropriately deceptacon-evil scary) to me too!
It's just that the media reported 2 days ago that it was mild compared to delta none of the infected needed to be hospitalized, today it's reported that hundreds are being hospitalized in the infected zones. Just wanted to know what's true. The co of mordana spoke out earlier today and said he was afraid that the vaccines might not work well on omikron and that they are working on a new version of the vaccine that will take a couple of months.

Last edited:
CFLoser

CFLoser

I fcking hate myself
Dec 5, 2018
It's just that the media reported 2 days ago that it was mild compared to delta nun of the infected needed to be hospitalized, today it's reported that hundreds are being hospitalized in the infected zones. Just wanted to know what's true. The co of mordana spoke out earlier today and said he was afraid that the vaccines might not work well on omikron and that they are working on a new version of the vaccine that will take a couple of months.
well apparently where it happened, 40% of adults were vaccinated and even less for under 18 year olds which, reportedly, is who the Omicromi virus was hurting more compared to the other variants.

A lot of the info coming out right now isn't complete though so I wouldn't worry too much about the scary headlines that are designed to spook you and keep you engaged.

$nowLeopard

$nowLeopard

Student
Oct 30, 2021
It's all the same flu

Reactions: deleted, Manaaja and ascetic_
Angst Filled Fuck Up

Angst Filled Fuck Up

Visionary
Sep 9, 2018
Yeah it's just becoming a giant farce at this point. I don't see why these strains need to be continually monitored and classified to where nothing else in the world seems to matter anymore. I just can't worry about something with a 0.3% mortality rate (and it's far lower still in those under 65).

• Love
Reactions: Élégie, Manaaja and ascetic_
S

seaweaves

they/them
Oct 25, 2021
It's just that the media reported 2 days ago that it was mild compared to delta none of the infected needed to be hospitalized, today it's reported that hundreds are being hospitalized in the infected zones. Just wanted to know what's true. The co of mordana spoke out earlier today and said he was afraid that the vaccines might not work well on omikron and that they are working on a new version of the vaccine that will take a couple of months.
I agree with the other replies about being cautious with media reports. News reporters do do their best, but very very frequently get the science wrong in the process of trying to make things more understandable for the public. And, as noted, the science changes as we learn more. People were pretty upset when we learned more about the ways the virus can linger in the air longer and further than we initially thought (and so updated our mask mandates accordingly). And naming viruses after their location of sequencing (eg south Africa in this case) is often reported like the virus variants originated there, etc. Media gets slippery, and even reporters who aren't just in it for the media's own interests (keeping people engaged, clicking headlines) often struggle to get the accuracy right, especially with our changing science knowledge

I'd also caution about following pharmaceutical company science; while regulated, and while it's almost vacuously true that vaccines designed for one strand of virus might not work with new strands, those companies also have economic and professional goals in mind (when they release all patents and copyrights and trademarks, then I'll be a little more open to listening).

This all often feels frustrating, because we do want to know! And them sharing just tidbits that this is a VOC (variant of concern; cue Loki jokes) doesn't help the public when most of our info is speculative, and still drives up the anxiety and fear and want to know more. Better knowledge will take a bit of time

I'll be vague for anonymity reasons, but I have some professional familiarity with this topic, and I'm glad to see people asking good questions! I'll try to check in on this thread later.

Edit: a word /cell phone typing typos
Yeah it's just becoming a giant farce at this point. I don't see why these strains need to be continually monitored and classified to where nothing else in the world seems to matter anymore. I just can't worry about something with a 0.3% mortality rate (and it's far lower still in those under 65).
This is one of our media problems: the focus on death and mortality as a way of making it seem serious. One of the main covid concerns on the individual level (ignoring the strain on resources etc) isn't the mortality index, but the morbidity index: all the consequences other than death that contribute to the disease burden. But, while I disagree with the science points about monitoring and classification, I don't disagree about the emphasis and focus in media and elsewhere — its contributing to so much fatigue and wearout that its hard to dedicate the attention when and where it does matter. (a kind of fatigue that I think is likely one reason we see Europe having some of the highest cases since this all began years ago)

Last edited:
Reactions: NumbItAll and After Life
A

After Life

Nov 6, 2021
I totally agree with you on that point, don't really understand why they are making such a big deal of it. But they keep changing their stories about how the effects of it are so it's just confusing. Read it could knock out the immune system and that's not good.

Enigmatic Sailor

Enigmatic Sailor

vicissitudes of fate...
Oct 29, 2021
As it mutates; the symptoms/disease becomes more and more mild so it can spread faster/more easily without hurting the host. I wouldn't worry about it. There could be some pretty deadly variants, but they don't spread as fast or they die out, because they kill the host so soon.

Reactions: After Life
ascetic_

ascetic_

Metaphysically Homeless
Aug 28, 2021
Just another stage of the hoax to keep the sheeple afraid of a glorified flu and reduce their freedoms.

Just wish they'd hurry up with their NWO so I can go ahead and get my head chopped the fuck off.

nhxq6rocm71xpgfft7iv.png