tiredplant777

tiredplant777

Student
Jul 23, 2021
I don't really feel like getting into a discussion of what is right or wrong at the oscars, and I feel gross bringing it up because it's all people have been talking about, but on my end I'm like wtf because people have such strong opinions about violence all of a sudden when they never seemed to before. On a personal level no one really cared about the violence I was experiencing, and I've seen this play out in so many other instances of violence too. No seems concerned about violence on an institutional level, or violence that a lot of people have to face on a daily basis. I know only my therapist was concerned for me, the police sure as hell didn't care. I get that for some people it is legitimately triggering because of their own history with violence, but like, it seems to me that people don't like to have opinions on violence when it's easier for them to pretend it's not happening. It's probably more of a pop culture thing I guess. I don't know I'm tired of living in this world.

• Aww..
  • Hugs
Reactions: archipelago, justsayin, Depressed Cat and 10 others
T

TotallyIsolated

Mage
Nov 25, 2019
Because they don't care about violence elsewhere.

People are hypocrites.

Reactions: archipelago, justsayin, Depressed Cat and 8 others
ClownMe

ClownMe

Don't Cry for Me, I'm Already Dead
Apr 7, 2021
Gotta love the MSM, pulling the wool over everyone's eyes with two rich guys running amok at the Oscars, im in Australia and it's all I seem to hear about, feel sorry for the people in America.

Reactions: Depressed Cat, demuic, tiredplant777 and 1 other person
stellabelle

stellabelle

ethereal
Dec 14, 2018
Oh,

I thought everybody knew that violence is only unacceptable if it's somebody "special" or "important."

Or if it's just so fucking wicked that it takes society for shock value.

It's incredibly sad.

Nobody cares, bla bla bla, bla bla bla, "modern society" …. And don't forget the entertainment value to sadistic pieces of shit who love watching people hurt.

And if you examine violence, it is even profitable!

What happens when the police respond to an incident?

They make money. The jails make money from the incarcerated. So do bail bonds agencies.

What happens when a traumatized person needs mental health professionals?

The person with a piece of paper (degree) validating their opinion makes a fortune off of your suffering. Complete with a conclusive report.

When someone is seriously injured due to violence, who profits?

The hospitals and staff.

When someone has to be prescribed a medication due to violence, the pharmaceutical companies also profit.

What happens when violence occurs in a community?

The media profits from the information sharing about the incident.

Sometimes, footage of the incidents are even profitable.

When someone dies due to violence, a coroner and funeral home will also profit from the incident.

So while violence is not acceptable in most circumstances, it is indeed a fucking moneymaker.

People are selfish.

No one cares.

Reactions: Depressed Cat, demuic, tiredplant777 and 3 others
Dr Iron Arc

Dr Iron Arc

Into the Unknown
Feb 10, 2020
I saw the moment as an opportunity to take a break from all the violence and savagery going on in the world, especially concerning a certain country whose leader is attacking a certain other country. I do think it's ridiculous to be taking the Oscars moment as seriously as people are. As far as I'm concerned, neither party is truly in the right. The moment itself though just struck me as hilarious and so have the memes about it also brought me temporary joy and laughter in a world where that's increasingly hard to come by. If that's so wrong then just chalk it up to me being evil as usual. I can't help if it and most of the memes made me laugh.

Reactions: TotallyIsolated, Depressed Cat, Fragile and 3 others
Lost Magic

Lost Magic

Illuminated
May 5, 2020
The world is focusing on this
Will Smith Reaction GIF by Fools In Progress Theatre Co.

When it should be focusing on this
I Love Hearts GIF

Reactions: archipelago, TotallyIsolated and tiredplant777
houseofleaves

houseofleaves

and this with thee remains.
Jan 14, 2022

The hospitals and staff.
in America* (and any other country without universal healthcare)

Reactions: tiredplant777
Pluto

Pluto

Meowing to go out
Dec 27, 2020
So while violence is not acceptable in most circumstances, it is indeed a fucking moneymaker.
You forgot the most extreme example: the US military budget is $778 billion per year. The contracts involve eye-watering sums and the corporations are deeply engrained in both state and federal politics.

Regarding the OP, there are two ways of looking at it.

To an optimistic, people are expressing an in-principle disapproval of violence yet also an inability to cope with internalising both the scale and the horror of atrocities of affecting the lower class worldwide. Remember, violence is violence whether it be the battlegrounds Kyiv or a family home in suburban London.

To a pessimist, people are simply projecting and externalising parts of themselves that are unresolved. After all, people are both the perpetrators and the victims of violence. All of us have had violent thoughts which felt justified at the time. There is no substantial reform to come of the latest social media circle-jerk of outrage, hence it is all worthless noise.

• Love
Reactions: tiredplant777 and PreussenBlueJay
tiredplant777

tiredplant777

Student
Jul 23, 2021
Gotta love the MSM, pulling the wool over everyone's eyes with two rich guys running amok at the Oscars, im in Australia and it's all I seem to hear about, feel sorry for the people in America.
Yeah man
Oh,

I thought everybody knew that violence is only unacceptable if it's somebody "special" or "important."

Or if it's just so fucking wicked that it takes society for shock value.

It's incredibly sad.

Nobody cares, bla bla bla, bla bla bla, "modern society" …. And don't forget the entertainment value to sadistic pieces of shit who love watching people hurt.

And if you examine violence, it is even profitable!

What happens when the police respond to an incident?

They make money. The jails make money from the incarcerated. So do bail bonds agencies.

What happens when a traumatized person needs mental health professionals?

The person with a piece of paper (degree) validating their opinion makes a fortune off of your suffering. Complete with a conclusive report.

The hospitals and staff.

When someone has to be prescribed a medication due to violence, the pharmaceutical companies also profit.

What happens when violence occurs in a community?

The media profits from the information sharing about the incident.

Sometimes, footage of the incidents are even profitable.

When someone dies due to violence, a coroner and funeral home will also profit from the incident.

People are selfish.

No one cares.
Yep. Thank you for this.
I saw the moment as an opportunity to take a break from all the violence and savagery going on in the world, especially concerning a certain country whose leader is attacking a certain other country. I do think it's ridiculous to be taking the Oscars moment as seriously as people are. As far as I'm concerned, neither party is truly in the right. The moment itself though just struck me as hilarious and so have the memes about it also brought me temporary joy and laughter in a world where that's increasingly hard to come by. If that's so wrong then just chalk it up to me being evil as usual. I can't help if it and most of the memes made me laugh.
I think taking the Oscars this seriously is ridiculous also. I haven't been saying this to other people because so many are upset by it, but I thought it was hilarious too. I don't think either party is truly in the right either. I don't think you're wrong to feel this way at all.
The world is focusing on this
Will Smith Reaction GIF by Fools In Progress Theatre Co.

When it should be focusing on this
I Love Hearts GIF
Awe yea that is a good point <3
You forgot the most extreme example: the US military budget is $778 billion per year. The contracts involve eye-watering sums and the corporations are deeply engrained in both state and federal politics.

Regarding the OP, there are two ways of looking at it.

To an optimistic, people are expressing an in-principle disapproval of violence yet also an inability to cope with internalising both the scale and the horror of atrocities of affecting the lower class worldwide. Remember, violence is violence whether it be the battlegrounds Kyiv or a family home in suburban London.

To a pessimist, people are simply projecting and externalising parts of themselves that are unresolved. After all, people are both the perpetrators and the victims of violence. All of us have had violent thoughts which felt justified at the time. There is no substantial reform to come of the latest social media circle-jerk of outrage, hence it is all worthless noise.
Thanks for this. It's probably a mix of all those things for a lot of people. Just a weird thing to be so so concerned about.

Last edited:
Reactions: Lost Magic and ClownMe