Throwmyselfaway

Throwmyselfaway

Not gone yet but soon
Jan 14, 2020
I'm just curious. I know many on here are on various meds for their mental health. Had anyone actually tried electro shock treatment and did it make things much worse or just stay the same? Was thinking about it the other day.

Dizzy_Dreams

Dizzy_Dreams

I’m never alone, I’m alone all the time.
Jun 25, 2020
From what I've seen it does nothing

Reactions: Nunyabinniss and Buffy5120
k75

k75

L'appel du Vide
Jun 27, 2019
First off, it's no longer called that. It's electroconvulsive therapy (ECT). I haven't and will never, but it's been recommended for me in a hospital program.

I've had a few therapists actually tell me they wouldn't recommend it. I have talked to people who tried it with ok results, but there were side effects like memory issues. That scares me. Also, one said they had to go back for more less than a year later.

One therapist I had told me to look into Transcranial magnetic stimulation (TMS) instead. It's a lot safer, apparently. I'm on the fence about that, but I did consider it.

Reactions: Meditation guide
Y

Yiyo123

Apr 24, 2020
I have ten electroconvulsive therapies (ECT) within 6 months and they did nothing for me. Were very painful. The day of the ECT I couldn't walk well, was sleep most of the day because of the anesthesia or sedative, and the headache was horrible (specially in the jaw). I was supposed to continue treatments but i refused.

Maybe they'll work for you but I didn't like them at all.

• Hugs
Reactions: Nullm and GoodPersonEffed
CoalmineCanary

CoalmineCanary

Jul 15, 2020
I have done both ECT and rTMS. If you want data I suggest you investigate, research, and look at data. I can only provide my antidotal experience. I do not wish to add any controversy to these treatments and only wish to offer a personal objective view if requested.

Reactions: Nunyabinniss, Intelligent_Lobster, Meditation guide and 1 other person
GoodPersonEffed

GoodPersonEffed

Brevity is my middle name, but my name was TL
Jan 11, 2020
I know you asked for people with personal experience, but if you're genuinely curious and seeking information for yourself, I figured I'd share what I know second-hand. I've met two women who had it. The first was a roommate in in-patient, she'd had it multiple times and was sorry she'd done it. She experienced memory loss, and she didn't function with any confidence, she was pretty miserable. The second was a friend who had dealt with suicidality, depression and self-harm for decades, and was only staying alive for her mother's sake, and she tried the treatment as a last resort. We only spoke about it once afterward and haven't had contact since, but she was really happy in the months after, told me that she was no longer depressed and didn't have suicidal thoughts, she didn't mention anything about self-harming.

Nimbus

Nimbus

Hanging on is hard
Dec 2, 2019
After trying ~2 dozen antidepressants and 12 weeks of TMS, all of which were unsuccessful, I decided to have ECT.
20 sessions of it.
10 unilateral and 10 bilateral.
it didn't work for me. But I did meet others who were helped a lot by it.
It did affect my short-term memory for a while and I couldn't work during or after it but 99% of my memories came back after a few months. I don't have clear memories of that period of time when I received ECT but it's nothing really important, just sporadic randomness of daily life. For a while I couldn't recall how GoT ended (it was when I first began ECT) but I eventually remembered on my own. Stuff like that.
From what I've seen it does nothing
I've had it and while it didn't work for me, I have met quite a few people who were helped by it. It's a very individual choice.
I'm just curious. I know many on here are on various meds for their mental health. Had anyone actually tried electro shock treatment and did it make things much worse or just stay the same? Was thinking about it the other day.
Side note: You may want to update the title of your post to include "ECT" so more people understand what you're asking about.

Last edited:
  • Aww..
Reactions: Weary Soul and Gnip
Samsara

Samsara

Experienced
Mar 9, 2020
Transcranial magnetic stimulation (TMR) is a better option with quicker results and less severe side effects

StuFin

StuFin

Arcanist
Oct 21, 2020
ECT as in zap your brain with thousands of volts to try and reboot it?

Barbaric - always reminds me of one flew over the cuckoos nest where they lobotomise him to "cure" him.

T

TooConscious

Enlightened
Sep 16, 2020
I've had clonic tonic seizures... I'm not sure if REAL seizures relate to a 'induced' & controlled but I certainly didn't feel relief I felt like he'll for days after not to mention my hip ripped off and shattered I was convulsing so hard.

• Hugs
Reactions: Hopeindeath!
Nymph

Nymph

he/him
Jul 15, 2020
It scares me sm, I don't think I could ever do that

Reactions: Nunyabinniss and AutoTap
Gnip

Gnip

Bill the Cat
Oct 10, 2020
ECT as in zap your brain with thousands of volts to try and reboot it?

Barbaric - always reminds me of one flew over the cuckoos nest where they lobotomise him to "cure" him.

Those Hollyweird depictions of electroconvulsive therapy are bullshit. And when Ken Kesey wrote and published his novel "One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest" in 1962, the way he described how ECT is administered was outdated by 13 years even then! So in other words, the way Jack Nicolson's character was shown receiving ECT, without anesthesia, was outdated by 26 years in 1975!

Now, I underwent 14 outpatient ECT treatments in 2014, and another 17 in 2015. I was warned they might not help because of how long I'd had school psychologist installed major depressive disorder (all school psychologists and counselors belong in death camps, and public schools have no right to exist), and in fact electroconvulsive therapy did not help, but it did not harm me either. I am glad I was given the opportunity to try ECT, and have no regrets whatever about attempting it.

A number of different psychiatrists, male and female, administered my ECT treatments. They did tell me that memory issues could be a problem for females, but not males, so anybody born female who might be considering ECT should keep that in mind. (Being male, I had no concerns, and tests in fact proved that my memory was not effected.)

For an accurate account of the realities of ECT treatment, the 2006 book "Shock: The Healing Power of Electroconvulsive Therapy" by Kitty Dukakis and Larry Tye is the ONLY book worth reading and taking seriously on the subject (and NOBODY ANYWHERE should let Jack Nicolson's bullshit acting do their thinking for them, EVER - do NOT be a PUNY minded impressionable weak fool who looks at movies and thinks that somehow resembles real life in any way!!!).

71nme-woMiL.jpg

Transcranial magnetic stimulation (TMR) is a better option with quicker results and less severe side effects

The main superiority of transcranial magnetic stimulation is that since it requires no anesthesia, you can drive away from your appointments as well as drive yourself to them (as I did in going to my ECT treatments, while a companion had to chauffeur me home, although I always felt good enough to drive home). TMR is reported to work better for some people, ECT for others.

For females worried about potential compromises to memory, TMR might be preferable.

As I have already posted, if you're considering undergoing ECT, read "Shock" by Dukakis and Tye first, a book which had also been read and memorized by all the clinicians specializing in my ECT treatment. When they know you share that knowledge, they treat you with the utmost respect and courtesy (at least in my case - some of the hot young single girls involved in my ECT care even hit on me, actually feeling me up when I was waking up from anesthesia, something I didn't mind one bit!)

Unfortunately, you supposedly have to have failed on other multiple treatments before you can qualify to undergo ECT. If I could have first undergone ECT in 1996 before starting on Prozac, I and my body might have been far, far better off, as there is no weight gain rebound effect with ECT, no messing up the body's metabolism, and the less time you are depressed, the better the chances that ECT will relieve your depression. Looking back, I'd have MUCH rather failed on ECT first in 1996 before putting my body through six of the then extant antidepressant classes of medications.

Once again, that brings up something females who might be concerned about memory loss could also consider. Weight gain rebound on prescription medications is a bitch for both males and females, but NOT an issue with either ECT or TMR. For females, not gaining weight might override any concerns about memory compromises. (Of course weight control is about FAR more than vanity, being a massive health issue obviously.)

Last edited:
Weary Soul

Weary Soul

Soon I will be free
Nov 13, 2019
I've had clonic tonic seizures... I'm not sure if REAL seizures relate to a 'induced' & controlled but I certainly didn't feel relief I felt like he'll for days after not to mention my hip ripped off and shattered I was convulsing so hard.

Same here, and I have always been curious if this does relate to induced & controlled. I lost memory (never regained it), and also felt like hell for a long time afterwards.

On edit, based on my experience with a grand mal seizure, I would not try ECT.

Last edited:
  • Hugs
Reactions: TooConscious and Nimbus
G

GreenTree

Mage
Jun 1, 2020
Had it. Didn't work for me. Done no harm though. Just felt exactly the same as before.

Reactions: Nunyabinniss and Gnip
T

TooConscious

Enlightened
Sep 16, 2020
Same here, and I have always been curious if this does relate to induced & controlled. I lost memory (never regained it), and also felt like hell for a long time afterwards.

On edit, based on my experience with a grand mal seizure, I would not try ECT.
Same mate but never talked about it before. I lost memory also, other than vague flashbacks for example my last one was so violent it's as if you're body is fighting itself I ended up in the middle of a busy main road, there were kind passers by who pulled me away despite me appearing dangerous let's be honest a person fitting can appear like a drunkard or drugged up person. I remember a crowd surrounding me which isn't a nice thought memory but it's nice to know there's compassionate people still even if just five percent. For example one of the ladies who helped posted on Facebook how I was and in the comments she was disgusted at the people laughing standing by so out of about 75 people, 7-9 helped with concern. The others were remarking "ewww look at him pissed himself, I wouldn't do mouth to mouth you don't know what you catch."

I don't expect anyone to help anyone but don't insult someone you know nothing of their situation.
These same people are born with the best genetics and never suffer these gene abnormalities, they have easy lives yet are the cruellest people.

A reason this world is evil time to be destroyed having no empathy for your fellow man.
Id like to see some official data on whether they do. It's common knowledge epileptics feel tired after a fit but they don't mention mood.
I just wonder is a seizure just the same induced or circumstantial.

Weary Soul

Weary Soul

Soon I will be free
Nov 13, 2019
@TooConscious

Despite first hand experiencing how cruel people can be, the inhumanity I have seen (and what you described) never ceases to amaze me.

I have given up trying to understand this.

I woke up from the seizure (lucky enough I was in the hospital when it happened), with 4 people standing around me neck brace, back board, stretcher, etc. I had no idea where I was, what had happened, and they all just stared at me - not one took the time to explain what had happened. My mood was, hmmm, hard to describe, but I would say numb. I was numb and unable to think clearly.

Same kind of response happened when I came out of the coma in the ICU after a brain bleed/craniotomy. One nurse was very cruel - telling me I did this to myself (I had not, I was assaulted), and I had no idea where I was etc., until another nurse sat down and asked me if I knew what had happened.

It would be interesting to know if it is the same or similar. Overload of electricity to the brain from outside forces vs. an internal overload.

I am so sorry you went through this!

<3