Headspace Dweller

Headspace Dweller

Close your eyes and you'll leave this dream
Nov 2, 2023
Do you believe they may still be around in the bush? What do you think of the attempts to bring them back via genetic cloning?

I think it would be pretty cool to see them make a comeback, although I'd worry about reintroducing them to an ecosystem that lost them over a century ago.

Reactions: binturong and Crono
Spike Spiegel

Spike Spiegel

Sep 26, 2022
Do you believe they may still be around in the bush? What do you think of the attempts to bring them back via genetic cloning?

I think it would be pretty cool to see them make a comeback, although I'd worry about reintroducing them to an ecosystem that lost them over a century ago.
If i remember correctly they are kind of close to being able to reproduce thylacines, also I believe Australia and some other countries where it was native to this day struggle with keeping smaller mammal populations in check because there is no Thylacines or similar predator in its place. I believe in some areas larger invasive predators out competed them for food but their excessively high calories intake could be negative for the eco system too. Overall I think the topics is very interesting. Also part of me believes there are a few out there still even though I know that is unlikely.

Reactions: Headspace Dweller
Headspace Dweller

Headspace Dweller

Close your eyes and you'll leave this dream
Nov 2, 2023
If i remember correctly they are kind of close to being able to reproduce thylacines, also I believe Australia and some other countries where it was native to this day struggle with keeping smaller mammal populations in check because there is no Thylacines or similar predator in its place. I believe in some areas larger invasive predators out competed them for food but their excessively high calories intake could be negative for the eco system too. Overall I think the topics is very interesting. Also part of me believes there are a few out there still even though I know that is unlikely.
I'll have to see if I can find the link, but there's a documentary about a guy in Australia that has been searching for them in the wild for a little over a decade, iirc. He's been using trail cams, food plots, the works. It's an interesting watch.

I like to hope they're similar to wolves in NA, where they were overhunted and lost their habitat, but were saved by conservation efforts. The difference being that the last of the thylacines, the ones to remain, were incredibly averse to humans, and so have hidden themselves fairly well. I don't expect that to be the case, but I think it would be cool.

C

Crono

-
Jun 1, 2023
They're really cool, the stripes make them look a little like zebras. Unfortunately, I think cloning cannot bring them or any other extinct animal back, a living specimen is needed to generate the clone

Reactions: Headspace Dweller