SpiderMolt

SpiderMolt

Jun 10, 2024
I've seen quite a few people on social media (mainly on TikTok, Tumblr, and Twitter) talk about not being "sick enough" and I guess that intrigued(?) me for some reason. Like, what is their definition of "sick enough" and why do they want to be worse? I get that a lot of that is people romanticizing mental illnesses, but I still wonder why they think like that.

And I can't lie, I have had/do have those thoughts, but I really only get like that during manic episodes. So, I guess I can't really judge others for thinking like that. :/

Grumble

Grumble

Deep Breaths
Aug 25, 2018
When I hear someone talking about "not being sick enough," I assume they're alluding to the stigma against mental illness and the "oh, just get over it" attitude towards sufferers who may appear perfectly fine to the outside observer despite having a war going on within themselves that affects every aspect of their day-to-day living. The "invisible illness" feature of most mental illnesses.

Are there people on social media actually just wanting to be "more sick"? I don't know what to make that. It seems foolish, but maybe I'm missing something.

SpiderMolt

SpiderMolt

Jun 10, 2024
When I hear someone talking about "not being sick enough," I assume they're alluding to the stigma against mental illness and the "oh, just get over it" attitude towards sufferers who may appear perfectly fine to the outside observer despite having a war going on within themselves that affects every aspect of their day-to-day living. The "invisible illness" feature of most mental illnesses.

Are there people on social media actually just wanting to be "more sick"? I don't know what to make that. It seems foolish, but maybe I'm missing something.
I feel like most of the people who want to be "more sick" are really just attention seekers. Idk tho, maybe there's something more to it.

M

moonoverthesea

tired...
Aug 24, 2024
Oh, I was planning to do a whole post about "how much sick is enough sick to be justified in wanting to die?" (But I'm too shy for that atm), so I feel I can answer this!

Obviously I can't speak for any of the people on Tiktok, but this is my view on it. Killing yourself, many times, will cause a lot of suffering around you. So, in a way, to get over the guilt of causing that pain around you, I need to feel that I'm sick enough, that my suffering is enough that causing pain in other to end mine is justified. In a way, I must be sure the pain I'm escaping must be greater than the pain I'm inflicting on others.

Another thing I feel - though it's disconnected from suicide, and strictly tied to the current medical system's state - Is that a lot of illnesses cause unbearable amounts of pain but don't really get you a proportional amount of empathy, benefits, etc. For example, I assume that if you have the big cancer you'll get taken very seriously by doctors, get empathy from your relatives, medical paid leave, etc. However, many other "invisible" illnesses can also cause you huge amounts of pain and make your life unbearable (I'm thinking MS, endometriosis, IBS/IBD/SIBO...) , but because of the fact that they're not considered "as bad", "as deadly" or "as serious" you will be gaslighted by doctors, and considered "just lazy" by the people around you. Those illnesses are also less studied, so while there may be treatments available for cancer and a hope of getting better if everything goes well, you may be out of luck with those invisible, "lesser" illnesses.
I was personally suffering for a whole year before any doctor started believing my pain was real, because my pain ended up being from one of those "lesser" illnesses, and thus "not pain enough".
In those cases, it makes really sense that you'd wish you were sicker - at least, you'd get proper medical attention.

Reactions: LoneMarineBitterman and ashtoreth
suicidaltransgirl

suicidaltransgirl

Aug 26, 2024
Without knowing more context, I'd have to agree that they're probably just romanticising mental illness. I've been told that I'm "mental ill, but in a hot way" before. Gross. Glad that person isn't in my life anymore.

• Love
Reactions: lynnschronicles
Lady Laudanum

Lady Laudanum

灵魂转世而我消亡
May 9, 2024
I'm high functioning and about to go from working full time to being in school full time. Sometimes it makes me feel like a fraud. If I'm still able to be independent and everything, maybe things just aren't that bad and maybe I'm just overreacting? Idk.

Reactions: LoneMarineBitterman and ConfusedClouds