G

Gunnersup

Jul 2, 2020
Hasn't happened to me (yet), but if it did I wouldn't know how to hold on anymore...

• Hugs
Reactions: Trannydiary, demuic, Pen>Sword and 1 other person
W

WornOutLife

マット
Mar 22, 2020
Yes, I wanted to ctb some years ago because I was under lots of pressure at college.
Then, I told my parents to go to hell and I calmed down.
Afterwards, things got so better that I got my degree.

I guess the key is not to be under pressure.

Reactions: Trannydiary, WhatDoesTheFoxSay?, Fthis and 1 other person
J

JustLosingMyself

Mage
Sep 4, 2018
There's more to life than a college degree.
A good tradesman will out earn many a college graduate,

• Hugs
Reactions: Trannydiary, Symbiote and Gunnersup
J

JipJopMop

Mar 6, 2021
No, I got my degree but it did fuck all for my life anyway so was pointless, apart from the partying while I was there which was fun

Reactions: Trannydiary, thewindblowseast, demuic and 1 other person
Pen>Sword

Pen>Sword

Ad Majorem Dei Gloriam
Jan 13, 2021
Yes. I'm about to fail nursing school. If I fail this, student loans won't cover my college funding. I'll CTB when that happens.

Reactions: Trannydiary and Gunnersup
J

JustLosingMyself

Mage
Sep 4, 2018
It's hard to get that perspective when I'm a Freshman in college
It is, but it depends why you're going to college and why you chose the subject. I don't know what you're studying but I don't need to.
If you're barely interested and scrape by, it's a recipe for failing and being miserable. Been there, done that.
My neighbour went to college for IT studies for 2 years. Not really interested in IT but 'career prospects' are good in IT. Dropped out, retrained as an electrician, then as an electrician engineer, loves it and out earns most IT graduates I work with...
Take your time and find your way

ithappens

ithappens

Live free or die
Aug 9, 2018
I currently owe $14,000 in student loans with no way to pay them and no degree. I was one class short of being able to graduate but due to the subject of the class as well as being yanked around and discriminated against in the disability center I was unable to pass the one topic that I can't for the life of me seem to grasp. The real kicker is that topic had nothing to do with the degree I wanted to pursue. One of those "we're going to expand your horizons for no reasons" classes because college. So I guess I'm never going to be able to get a job in a field I can live with and I'll be on disability forever. Yay.

For anyone reading this thread, don't go to college (unless you want to become a nurse or doctor or something), it's a scam.

• Hugs
Reactions: BeautifulMosaics and demuic
HarpoMarx

HarpoMarx

Jan 28, 2021
Hasn't happened to me (yet), but if it did I wouldn't know how to hold on anymore..

My insomnia problems and benzo addiction started while I was studying my first BA 8 years ago. I was trying to be the best in order to become a uni professor in a near future. That ruined my mind (even more).

I havent become a uni professor (I teach in Primary in Asia), but I havent had problems to sleep for a while. I brought some boxes of pills from Europe. It gives me so much peace knowing that if I ever cannot catch the sleeo I can take 1 or 2 of them.

Its been a hard battle for me not taking them anymore. I struggled it alone. No psychologist, no nothing. I forced myself and I did it gradually.

Good luck to you :) and I hope you dont fall in similar dynamics.

P.s.: I havent failed it. I actually got a special award for my scores. But that didnt help me with my sleeping problems. Not sure how I would feel if I had failed

Last edited:
S

SuicidallyCurious

Enlightened
Dec 20, 2020
No. Leaving university was the best decision I ever made in my life. It's probably going to cause negative consequences in my elder years as credentialism advances across the economy but I got to enjoy young years living debt free.

if I was European or in a free college country I would have stuck with it but in the US it is no longer worth pursuing. The stress and financial burden for an insecure career path even in a stem field just don't add up for younger generations .

younger generations need to get into a trade or skill, build savings while enjoying their youth, and prepare for the most likely future of ruined ecosystems and societal breakdown. In US that mostly translates into getting out of a failed , crime ridden, de industrialized city if you are in one

Just to clue non US people in: you could graduate university in a prestigious field with a job lined up , become basically totally disabled through some freak accident , and still not be able to discharge several hundreds of thousands in debts. For ever.

you can not own a home. You can not have a bank account that is constantly levied or garnished. you can not own a car .

If you are a US citizen and are planning on attending university you absolutely need a backup plan on how to exit the US or work off the books in case your degree does not provide for you and the ability to make the loan payments

Last edited:
Reactions: demuic
demuic

demuic

Life was a mistake
Sep 12, 2020
I currently owe $14,000 in student loans with no way to pay them and no degree. I was one class short of being able to graduate but due to the subject of the class as well as being yanked around and discriminated against in the disability center I was unable to pass the one topic that I can't for the life of me seem to grasp. The real kicker is that topic had nothing to do with the degree I wanted to pursue. One of those "we're going to expand your horizons for no reasons" classes because college. So I guess I'm never going to be able to get a job in a field I can live with and I'll be on disability forever. Yay.

For anyone reading this thread, don't go to college (unless you want to become a nurse or doctor or something), it's a scam.
I experienced a similar thing.

It really is a scam.

Reactions: ithappens
G

Gregory1234

Nov 22, 2019
Well for me, university is definitely the reason. If I can make it through this semester which is my last one and get the grades that I want then all will be good. But if I don't, it would be the reason for me to CTB.

I wish I could be much more free in university but thanks to me taking up a scholarship with stringent requirements and the expectations from others for me to do well, I am now just crying over every mistake I make in assessments.

With my semester ending soon in a couple of weeks and results coming in couple of months, who knows whether I would only have a couple of months left before perhaps reaching that breaking point

G

Gunnersup

Jul 2, 2020
Well for me, university is definitely the reason. If I can make it through this semester which is my last one and get the grades that I want then all will be good. But if I don't, it would be the reason for me to CTB.

I wish I could be much more free in university but thanks to me taking up a scholarship with stringent requirements and the expectations from others for me to do well, I am now just crying over every mistake I make in assessments.

With my semester ending soon in a couple of weeks and results coming in couple of months, who knows whether I would only have a couple of months left before perhaps reaching that breaking point
Don't get behind on the schoolwork would be my advice. I made that mistake this semester and have no way to pass any of my four classes. Severely depressed about both the fact I will fail, and also the fact it's too late for me to revive my grades

Tortured_empath

Tortured_empath

Arcanist
Apr 7, 2019
I never got the chance to join... someday I hope. With enough effort...

Breakout92

Breakout92

Student
Mar 10, 2021
It's not the only reason for me, but it was another thing to pile onto all my other issues. I went to grad school for a phd because I wanted to be able to teach, but I just couldn't handle the actual work (research work, not the courses I took). So my advisor told me to drop out because he didn't want to support me anymore.

S

summers

Visionary
Nov 4, 2020
@Gunnersup fuck college. You'll make more and be happier learning a skilled trade. Learn to weld, be an electrician, or auto body repair.

My brother with a ged makes more than I do with a master's degree driving a truck. So I'll say it again, college is a waste for many people.

If you're into cs and programming, employers don't care about college either. Just learn to program, and develop a portfolio.

Reactions: WrongPlaceWrongTime and Gunnersup
Into The Void

Into The Void

Student
Mar 10, 2021
I got severe depression when I was in college and that was part of the reason I had to drop out. Luckily I got on two medications and I got better about 3 to 6 months later.

Desdemona

Desdemona

Oct 14, 2020
No. The way I view it is college will always be there. If you're unable to handle it for whatever reason and need a break, take a break. It really isn't the end of the world especially if your life is good otherwise I don't think it's a good reason to CTB over

• Hugs
Reactions: Gunnersup
G

Gunnersup

Jul 2, 2020
No. The way I view it is college will always be there. If you're unable to handle it for whatever reason and need a break, take a break. It really isn't the end of the world especially if your life is good otherwise I don't think it's a good reason to CTB over
Good perspective, I needed that

• Hugs
Reactions: Desdemona
Desdemona

Desdemona

Oct 14, 2020
Good perspective, I needed that

I've been in your shoes and really wanted to drop out my senior year because my mental health was suffering a lot for many different reasons but I only had like 6 months left so I just powered through. Had it been longer probably would have taken a break.

I know lots of people who are happy without degrees and also lots of people who went on to get degrees much later in life. Don't let a stupid "societal norm" bring you down to that point :)

GarageKarate07

GarageKarate07

Wizard
Aug 18, 2020
Hasn't happened to me (yet), but if it did I wouldn't know how to hold on anymore...
Actually I left high school. I left trade school. I left the military and med school. Know what I got? I got awards in my closet. I got lots of money. I know lots of cool stuff. I got 4 vacations out of the deal for peak performance AND I lived by my own fucking rules. Its been awesome! ❤

Reactions: everydayiloveyou
M

marsbar27

Feb 25, 2021
Yes. I'm about to fail nursing school. If I fail this, student loans won't cover my college funding. I'll CTB when that happens.
I'm a nursing major too and I feel you. I seriously underestimated how hard it was going to be. I had my first A&P lab practical a couple weeks ago and I got a 29/100 (and we need a 65% average to pass the course), so it's safe to say I'm most likely going to fail :/

• Hugs
Reactions: Pen>Sword
Nexey

Nexey

Student
Feb 18, 2021
I don't plan on CTB just yet but if I do, there's a good chance it'll be over my career (or, more accurately, my lack thereof). The issue with trades is that they're either hard on my body (which is an issue due to my disability) and/or they require me to be in the living quarters of strangers. (I'm a woman, why would I be comfortable with that?) I'm not great when it comes to academics and have very little money, so I feel sort of screwed. I don't know what to do with myself. (Yes, I've tried college before and am now in debt for it.)