S

Sallydeath

Jan 21, 2021
So basically Ive spent the last few years either depressed or hypomanic, (I do have bipolar disorder) I've been depressed for the better part of like 5 months now and I'm really tired of it (hence me being here) I still have the desire to get better. Do you know how to induce hypomania or mania?

• Hugs
  • Love
Reactions: The end !, Sensei and x~Sophia~x
Y

yeahwellso

Student
Dec 5, 2020
You can't induce it. You simply can't induce it, so fantasizing about inducing it will just make you even more miserable, because you cannot induce it.

If you have been diagnosed with bipolar disorder, you have presumably been prescribed mood stabilizers. Lithium, lamotrigine, seroquel, or something?

Also, obviously, while hypomania is pleasant, it's still exhausting and unsustainable. And outright mania invariably causes the sufferer to fuck up their life worse than it already was. Mania just means even more good reason for the abysmal depression that follows.

• Love
Reactions: LittleBabyNothing, Spiral, The end ! and 5 others
S

Sallydeath

Jan 21, 2021
You can't induce it. You simply can't induce it, so fantasizing about inducing it will just make you even more miserable, because you cannot induce it.

If you have been diagnosed with bipolar disorder, you have presumably been prescribed mood stabilizers. Lithium, lamotrigine, seroquel, or something?

Also, obviously, while hypomania is pleasant, it's still exhausting and unsustainable. And outright mania invariably causes the sufferer to fuck up their life worse than it already was. Mania just means even more good reason for the abysmal depression that follows.
I was prescribed depacote and xyprexa, I weened myself off both, mostly because they made my depression worse and the xyprexa caused weight gain which is really uncommon for me. But yeah idk I'm just trying to get out of being depressed

• Love
Reactions: The end !
Sensei

Sensei

剣道家
Nov 4, 2019
I've been thinking along similar lines. It's well documented that antidepressants, opiates, and stimulants can induce hypomania and mania. I'm not sure it's a good idea, though. Before I got a proper diagnosis, they gave me antidepressants, which triggered a hypomanic episode. However, it was so strong that it was comparable to a manic episode and it almost ended in disaster.

• Love
Reactions: The end !, Sallydeath and Fragile
Emily_Numb

Emily_Numb

Wizard
Jan 14, 2020
You can't induce hypomania. If you want some energy, Just get some blow.

• Love
Chupacabra 44

Chupacabra 44

If boredom were a CTB method, I would be long gone
Sep 13, 2020
Extremely easy for me to induce mine. More than a few cups of coffee; staying up to late/lack of sleep; too much cardio; l-glutamine supplements; too much stress...... Off the top of my head.

• Love
Reactions: Sensei, The end ! and Sallydeath
S

Sallydeath

Jan 21, 2021
I've been thinking along similar lines. It's well documented that antidepressants, opiates, and stimulants can induce hypomania and mania. I'm not sure it's a good idea, though. Before I got a proper diagnosis, they gave me antidepressants, which triggered a hypomanic episode. However, it was so strong that it was comparable to a manic episode and it almost ended in disaster.
Ive had full blown mania before that did wreck my life, but believe it or not I'd prefer it to the depressive side of things

• Wow
  • Love
Reactions: Sensei, noaccount and The end !
A

Aap

Enlightened
Apr 26, 2020
Yes, it can be induced chemically, but anything that can reliably do it quickly will cause you significantly more problems long term. Since you are diagnosed bipolar and suffering from depression currently, it would be infinitely more reliable to talk to your doctor about the depression and treatment options than following any advice here about taking additional substances.

• Love
Squiddy

Squiddy

Here Lies My Hopes And Dreams
Sep 4, 2019
I DON'T recommend it as I couldn't sleep and started hallucinating, but what triggered mind was starting and stopping my meds and only getting 4 hrs of sleep. I was miserable by almost day 2 with no sleep :(

• Love
Reactions: Metalhead and The end !
B

bms

Nov 8, 2020
What I know is that you shouldn't take anticonvulsant while you're in the depression state, check the table below. Is it possible to be on Latuda? theoretically it's supposed to work.

• Love
Squiddy

Squiddy

Here Lies My Hopes And Dreams
Sep 4, 2019
What I know is that you shouldn't take anticonvulsant while you're in the depression state, check the table below. Is it possible to be on Latuda? theoretically it's supposed to work.

View attachment 59114
I didn't find Zyprexa very sedating at all. Now Latuda was very sedating for me and other side effects where I had to get off of it. Now it could help someone else though. Now I'm on something different.

• Love
N

noaccount

Enlightened
Oct 26, 2019
Doctors often, aren't much help at all in treating depression, I get it... Is the depression, by any chance, partially fatigue from not getting enough good sleep? If there's anything you could take to help with that, after a while of more rest, it might be easier to get into higher-energy states... It's your mind, your body, you have EVERY right to do what you want with it, you have NO moral imperative to be what someone else considers healthier.

Chupacabra 44

Chupacabra 44

If boredom were a CTB method, I would be long gone
Sep 13, 2020

View attachment 59114

I'm not so sure I agree about not taking anticonvulsants for bipolar depression, as a couple of my skilled psychiatrists have used Lamictal as the first choice for bipolar depression. Also, I've seen studies supporting this decision, including the Star*D study, which was the largest and most expensive study ever for depression - at least it was at the time.

Last edited:
Reactions: Sensei
M

makingsure4

Student
Jan 6, 2021
For bipolar depression, along with whatever meds, NAC is recommended. Takes 4 weeks but it can pull you out of the funk. Also omegas like fish oil pills can be helpful. Try reading "unquiet mind" and you'll see why you don't want to keep inducing manias. But I hear ya depression sucks.

Reactions: Sallydeath
S

Sallydeath

Jan 21, 2021
For bipolar depression, along with whatever meds, NAC is recommended. Takes 4 weeks but it can pull you out of the funk. Also omegas like fish oil pills can be helpful. Try reading "unquiet mind" and you'll see why you don't want to keep inducing manias. But I hear ya depression sucks.
What's NAC? Thanks for your response tho