Simba

Simba

Missunderstood Potato
Dec 9, 2018
I wasnt sure where to post hence the off-topic..

I was never diagnosed with specific phobia of "fear of ants" also known as "Myrmecophobia" but ever since i can remember myself i was always scared of them ,also a condition i was diagnosed with is called "Skin Picking Disorder" also known as "Dermatilomania".. basicly you scratch your skin till damage ,in my case i scratch till sometimes i bleed ,you do not have to feel itchy even to scratch ,it just happens.. so im curious to know if anyone here is also have similar conditions or fears etc ,From Simba

P.S. forgot to mention the fact that my family would always say that they are small and they dont do nothing.. maybe so but it doesnt help when im the one thats scared

Myrmecophobia

dermatillomania

• Hugs
  • Love
Reactions: motyxia, Manaaja, Dead Meat and 2 others
Simba

Simba

Missunderstood Potato
Dec 9, 2018
Um anyone going ever answer ? Sorry:aw:

• Hugs
Reactions: Dead Meat and FailureGirl
FailureGirl

FailureGirl

lost in limbo...
Jul 5, 2021
I don't have those but I have kinemortophobia I just call it my irrational fear of zombies even though I know it's silly it's still scary I won't even say the word "zombie" out loud after dark.

• Hugs
  • Aww..
Reactions: patheticpartner, Dead Meat and Simba
Simba

Simba

Missunderstood Potato
Dec 9, 2018
I don't have those but I have kinemortophobia I just call it my irrational fear of zombies even though I know it's silly it's still scary I won't even say the word "zombie" out loud after dark.
Yeah i can relate ,like i know ants are tiny and they probably won't do much but i still cant help it.. everytime my family went camping we had a can of ants or insect spray so to spray the area we were putting the tent on and the table too ,before that id be standing but not completely cause id move my legs so ants wont go on me.. people say but theyre small they cant do anything ,you think i dont know that ? Sigh :aw:

I hope zombies will never come otherwise we'd be finished

• Love
Reactions: Dead Meat and FailureGirl
Shadowplay

Shadowplay

Average life non-enjoyer
Sep 11, 2021
I used to be terrified of this book I had as a kid; it had krakens and sea serpents in it. I finally opened it as an adult and was ok with it. If I wasn't going CTB I'd get the kraken picture tattooed on my chest. The other pictures freak me out a bit still; it is not so much the monsters as being stuck out at sea with them that terrifies me.

• Love
  • Aww..
Reactions: Simba, FailureGirl and Dead Meat
UseItOrLoseIt

UseItOrLoseIt

1O'8
Dec 4, 2020
I fear ceiling lamps because they make the scars on my forehead way more visible. My main concern through the day is spotting and avoiding ceiling lights.

Yes.

If I was a dictator there would be severe restrictions regarding ceiling lights and chandaliers in my country. LED spotlights would be completely illegal.

• Hugs
  • Aww..
Reactions: Simba, FailureGirl, Manaaja and 2 others
motyxia

motyxia

less than him
Oct 14, 2021
I don't have a fear of ants specifically or skin picking disorder
But there's similar

I have a skin disorder, always scratching (but its bcause im itchy). I scratch myself in my sleep, wake up & I'm bleeding from scratching too much. I've always had it & always will.

I love arthropods (username) but I have a really big fear of them living inside me. I'm scared of smaller ones because it's easier for them to get inside me & I won't notice. So ants are included. I have to check straws every time I drink, & shine a flashlight inside Monster cans before every sip, & inspect every bite I eat. I have to ask my grandmother a lot if there's bugs in stuff. Theres been times I hurt or wanted to hurt myself to "get them out" (there's none inside me I'm fine). My ears always have to be covered with something so they don't crawl inside. I feel bugs on me every day, it went away for a few months but it came back not that long ago & it feels bad, I don't see them though. I don't hate them, it's not their fault, I don't like demonizing animals. I try to be nice to them even when they're one I'm worried will go inside me.

• Aww..
Reactions: rationaltake and Simba
Simba

Simba

Missunderstood Potato
Dec 9, 2018
I don't have a fear of ants specifically or skin picking disorder
But there's similar

I have a skin disorder, always scratching (but its bcause im itchy). I scratch myself in my sleep, wake up & I'm bleeding from scratching too much. I've always had it & always will.

I love arthropods (username) but I have a really big fear of them living inside me. I'm scared of smaller ones because it's easier for them to get inside me & I won't notice. So ants are included. I have to check straws every time I drink, & shine a flashlight inside Monster cans before every sip, & inspect every bite I eat. I have to ask my grandmother a lot if there's bugs in stuff. Theres been times I hurt or wanted to hurt myself to "get them out" (there's none inside me I'm fine). My ears always have to be covered with something so they don't crawl inside. I feel bugs on me every day, it went away for a few months but it came back not that long ago & it feels bad, I don't see them though. I don't hate them, it's not their fault, I don't like demonizing animals. I try to be nice to them even when they're one I'm worried will go inside me.
Wow im very similar when it comes to ants and flies n stuff but mostly ants ,this one time in my room there was lots of carpet beatles.. after mammy made sure to get every one last bit of them out of my room - it didn't matter no more cause my thoughts were already inside my head so i didnt sleep in my room for a few weeks till i had to in the end ,like i wanted to be able to sleep in my room but every time id just get thoughts bout them which scared me.. same with ants.. i would be scared of them comin on to me i be thinking what if i went to sleep and a bunch just decided to go inside my private parts or my bum or whatever.. we'd go camping every year (not much now atm) and every morning while having breakfast and dinner time in the camp place i always have my headphones on me ,merely so flies or flying insects wont come near my ears (into my ears) ,and id always have my legs up but crossed.. made sure not to touch the ground cause may have ants and other insects.. when i was in 9th grade i think it was ,in sports class we were at the park where theres the running course thing and i distinctly remember bunch of ants just going inside one my shoes.. i told my class assistant she's like its oks itll be oks soon etc.. wtf i dont even know if its even real anymore like it just dont even make any sense.. im told "theyre small they cant do anything" believe me you'd think i wouldn't know yet im still scared.. areas that are real grass or even fake grass at this point ,unless there are benches there then i will not sit on the grass.. i have to have something underneath just so i can sit n even then it dont always help well ... and yeah i gettit what you're saying bout how their just insects animals n what not... if i could not be scared i would definitely want that but is way i am..

Also the itchy skin is it eczema by any chance ? Or this other one i cant remember is name..
I fear ceiling lamps because they make the scars on my forehead way more visible. My main concern through the day is spotting and avoiding ceiling lights.

Yes.

If I was a dictator there would be severe restrictions regarding ceiling lights and chandaliers in my country. LED spotlights would be completely illegal.
I can somewhat relate.. i always check make sure when im sitting down in public benchairs and chairs etc that there is nothing on them beforehand
I used to be terrified of this book I had as a kid; it had krakens and sea serpents in it. I finally opened it as an adult and was ok with it. If I wasn't going CTB I'd get the kraken picture tattooed on my chest. The other pictures freak me out a bit still; it is not so much the monsters as being stuck out at sea with them that terrifies me.
Thats sad to hear.. id be scared too stuck out at sea with the serpents without anyone with me

Last edited:
Reactions: motyxia
motyxia

motyxia

less than him
Oct 14, 2021
Wow im very similar when it comes to ants and flies n stuff but mostly ants ,this one time in my room there was lots of carpet beatles.. after mammy made sure to get every one last bit of them out of my room - it didn't matter no more cause my thoughts were already inside my head so i didnt sleep in my room for a few weeks till i had to in the end ,like i wanted to be able to sleep in my room but every time id just get thoughts bout them which scared me.. same with ants.. i would be scared of them comin on to me i be thinking what if i went to sleep and a bunch just decided to go inside my private parts or my bum or whatever.. we'd go camping every year (not much now atm) and every morning while having breakfast and dinner time in the camp place i always have my headphones on me ,merely so flies or flying insects wont come near my ears (into my ears) ,and id always have my legs up but crossed.. made sure not to touch the ground cause may have ants and other insects.. when i was in 9th grade i think it was ,in sports class we were at the park where theres the running course thing and i distinctly remember bunch of ants just going inside one my shoes.. i told my class assistant she's like its oks itll be oks soon etc.. wtf i dont even know if its even real anymore like it just dont even make any sense.. im told "theyre small they cant do anything" believe me you'd think i wouldn't know yet im still scared.. areas that are real grass or even fake grass at this point ,unless there are benches there then i will not sit on the grass.. i have to have something underneath just so i can sit n even then it dont always help well ... and yeah i gettit what you're saying bout how their just insects animals n what not... if i could not be scared i would definitely want that but is way i am..

Also the itchy skin is it eczema by any chance ? Or this other one i cant remember is name..
I think carpet beetles are cute but since they're so small I'm scared of them too. I think I can understand how you feel with others not understanding why ants scare you. Others don't get why smaller arthropods scare me but bigger ones don't, I love tarantulas but they're scared of tarantulas, they love lady beetles but I'm scared of lady beetles especially, they move so unpredictably along with being small. The house I used to live in was awful, 1st time mentioning it anywhere so I don't want to go into detail sorry for vagueness but my parents cared more about literal trash than me, I think that's part of why this fear got so bad. I begged my mother to let me stay at my grandparent's all the time because of it, so I can understand you not being able to sleep in your room, I didn't want to sleep anywhere at home. I avoid sitting on grass too. I'm sorry you have to deal with similar, it really sucks, made worse how others don't understand. I've gotten rude jokes about it, idk if they don't realize how seriously upsetting it is or if they're just rude. Either way it just makes things worse.

& yes I've always had really bad atopic dermatitis. So many people look at it & think I have a contagious disease. It's a big insecurity for me on top of being physically painful, that's why when I mention it online I usually keep it vague. This pandemic has made new problems, people stare at me for not using hand sanitizers in stores, but I have open wounds on my hands so wtf am I supposed to do. My grandmother has to tell everyone now that I have AD so they don't kick me out. & whenever I get a haircut the person I'm with has to tell them I have it before they think I'm contagious & kick me out. It makes me feel really embarrassed.

• Aww..
Reactions: Simba
Simba

Simba

Missunderstood Potato
Dec 9, 2018
I think carpet beetles are cute but since they're so small I'm scared of them too. I think I can understand how you feel with others not understanding why ants scare you. Others don't get why smaller arthropods scare me but bigger ones don't, I love tarantulas but they're scared of tarantulas, they love lady beetles but I'm scared of lady beetles especially, they move so unpredictably along with being small. The house I used to live in was awful, 1st time mentioning it anywhere so I don't want to go into detail sorry for vagueness but my parents cared more about literal trash than me, I think that's part of why this fear got so bad. I begged my mother to let me stay at my grandparent's all the time because of it, so I can understand you not being able to sleep in your room, I didn't want to sleep anywhere at home. I avoid sitting on grass too. I'm sorry you have to deal with similar, it really sucks, made worse how others don't understand. I've gotten rude jokes about it, idk if they don't realize how seriously upsetting it is or if they're just rude. Either way it just makes things worse.

& yes I've always had really bad atopic dermatitis. So many people look at it & think I have a contagious disease. It's a big insecurity for me on top of being physically painful, that's why when I mention it online I usually keep it vague. This pandemic has made new problems, people stare at me for not using hand sanitizers in stores, but I have open wounds on my hands so wtf am I supposed to do. My grandmother has to tell everyone now that I have AD so they don't kick me out. & whenever I get a haircut the person I'm with has to tell them I have it before they think I'm contagious & kick me out. It makes me feel really embarrassed.
Really sorry you feel that way.. thats awful the way how people dont understand your fears n skin condition.. when we would go camping my parents also would have to spray the area that we put our tent too otherwise itd probably be 10 times worse then idk.. is odd people would think youre contagious for having a skin condition but then again seems that people will always judge first before hearing the person out and often times say mean stuff or stuff without really understanding the full context of the situation and instead - judging once again.. when i usetoo work as a cashier once the head of cashiers told me that it bothers some of the customers about the cuts/scars on my hands (from scratching) and said she could give me gloves for it so i ended up having to bandage up both my hands so then id have customers asking questions bout why n such..

nameeater

nameeater

the one with many regrets
Nov 21, 2021
i have dermatillomania! i also have trichotillomania, it's hair pulling instead of skin picking. also while not a fear of ants, i do have agoraphobia which leaves me unable to leave my house practically ever ^^

• Aww..
Reactions: Journeytoletgo and Simba
Simba

Simba

Missunderstood Potato
Dec 9, 2018
i have dermatillomania! i also have trichotillomania, it's hair pulling instead of skin picking. also while not a fear of ants, i do have agoraphobia which leaves me unable to leave my house practically ever ^^
Sorry to hear that ,idk if this still exists but i think there's exposure therapy for people with agoraphobia did you ever tried that ? An yeah i read that trichotillomania and Dermatilomania are pretty much "sisters" since they share alot of similarities except the way of damage is different.. is it also bad for you ?

Reactions: nameeater
nameeater

nameeater

Nov 21, 2021
Sorry to hear that ,idk if this still exists but i think there's exposure therapy for people with agoraphobia did you ever tried that ? An yeah i read that trichotillomania and Dermatilomania are pretty much "sisters" since they share alot of similarities except the way of damage is different.. is it also bad for you ?
luckily, both my derma and trich has gotten a lot better with time ^^ and for my agoraphobia, for some reason, exposure therapy made it a lot worse haha

• Hugs
Reactions: whywere
O

OrcWitch

Warlock
Sep 3, 2021
I have fear of moths. Scorpions have gotten inside my house and they do not phase me, but moths are terrifying. People have said "what are they even going to do, flutter near you?". I don't know what my problem is. It's like that episode of spongebob where Sandy's pet butterfly terrorizes the whole city.

TVtrays

TVtrays

May 6, 2019
I have trichotillomania. It got so bad when I was a kid that I had a massive bald spot in my head that was impossible to conceal. Nowadays, I know not to pull more than one hair at a time lol

• Love
Reactions: nameeater
nameeater

nameeater

Nov 21, 2021
I have trichotillomania. It got so bad when I was a kid that I had a massive bald spot in my head that was impossible to conceal. Nowadays, I know not to pull more than one hair at a time lol
i've always only pulled one hair at a time, pulling out in chunks sounds rough! it's good you were able to get it a bit more under control ^^

Dreamlike Reality

Dreamlike Reality

Bedhead šŸ’¤
Nov 29, 2021
I also have a skin picking disorder ! But I am mostly just afraid of windows , I have to have all of the windows in my house covered at all times and I can't get near them . . . I love bugs and ants and all , I want vietnamese centipedes one day as they are my favorite bugs ever , but I have frequent hallucinations of feeling bugs in my eyes and on and under my skin . . . The only bugs I don't like are butterflies , haha , I couldn't tell you why >< I want to learn to enjoy them !!!!

Panna

Panna

Enlightened
Aug 31, 2020
Mines a bit weird, I have no issues with bugs until theyre dead, the crunchy bodies, their legs in the air good god, ants to spiders to anything in between. dead bugs are the bane of my existance