Painless_end

Painless_end

Life is too difficult for me
Oct 11, 2019
Anyone who is Japanese by birth and currently living in Japan ? Just curious, had a few questions.

Reactions: Neneko Izumozaki and Mr_House
Mr_House

Mr_House

Black Mesa Research Facility (B.M.R.F.)
Jul 14, 2022
日本人で現在日本に住んでいる方はいますか?好奇心旺盛で、いくつか質問がありました。​
(Question Translation just-in-case any people from Japan see this post)​

Reactions: Neneko Izumozaki and Painless_end
Install-Gentoo

Install-Gentoo

Aug 23, 2022
多分、日本人と話したいなら、2chにやってみればいいと思う。英語のフォーラムを使ってむずかしいから、ここに日本人があんまりいない。
しかし、ぼくは日本人とよく話すから、なにか興味あったら、ぼくは答えられるかも。

Reactions: Neneko Izumozaki, Dead Ghost, Painless_end and 1 other person
Neneko Izumozaki

Neneko Izumozaki

Aug 18, 2022
Hello. I am Japanese and I live in Tokyo.

• Yay!
Reactions: Painless_end, Dead Ghost and Mr_House
Painless_end

Painless_end

Oct 11, 2019
Hello. I am Japanese and I live in Tokyo.
Great. I know this might sound random but I have read about Japan and its culture a lot.

Considering how popular stuff like anime, manga and Japanese martial arts is everywhere in the world we outsiders come across some cultural reference to Japan a lot especially when browsing internet. I am personally not a huge fan of either manga or anime. But I think and feel that Japanese culture is very beautiful. Everything is very gorgeous whether it's the traditional dress and customs or the food or the landscape.

However, I don't know how to put this without seeming like I am ill informed but it seems to me there is a sense of some kind of mental health problems somewhere in Japanese culture more than other places.

From what I've read and seen, there's a large otaku and hikikomori population. I also get some vibe of there's also some kind of deep mental anguish especially when I read about some of the horrible crimes the Japanese Army did during WW2 and the consequences of defeat in WW2 and also being the only nation in the world where not one but two nuclear bombs were dropped.

And also I get this feeling that Japanese culture is somewhere not very responsive to people, especially men who have mental health problems, and that's causing more mental health issues in Japan than maybe other countries. I have also read that being overworked to the point of falling asleep wherever is celebrated in Japanese culture.

So to sum up and ask the main question : Is there some kind of wide scale mental health crisis in Japan, or am I just wrong ?

Reactions: Neneko Izumozaki
Dead Ghost

Dead Ghost

Mestre del Temps
May 6, 2022
日本の社会で驚くのは、バルセロナと似ていることです。youtubeの動画やテレビ映画を違う角度から見る方法を知らないから、視野が狭いのかもしれませんね。でも、よく考えるのは、「アメリカ人よりも日本人に似ているのはどうすればいいのか」ということです。

もしかしたら、それは私の思い違いで、実は世界中どこを見ても同じように見えるのかもしれません。でも、欧米に輸出されている文化を除けば、日々の生活にはあまり違いを感じません。

//

What surprises me about Japanese society is how similar it is to Barcelona. Maybe it's that I don't know how to look at youtube videos or TV movies differently, maybe I lack more perspective. But I often think about this, "how can we be more similar to the Japanese than the Americans?"

I don't know, maybe it's all a bad perception of mine and actually everywhere in the world I look I see it the same, but except for the culture that is exported to the Western world I don't find much difference in day to day life.

//

A mi el que em sorprén de la societat japonesa es com es de semblant a la barcelonesa. Potser es que no se mirar els videos de youtube o les películes de la tele d'una altre manera, potser em falta mes perspectiva. Pero sovint penso en això, "com pot ser que siguem més semblants als japonesos que als americans?"

No ho se, potser tot es una mala percepció meva i en realitat a tot arreu del món que observi ho veig igual, però tret de la cultura que s'exporta al món Occidental no hi trobo pas gaire diferéncia en el dia a dia.

//

A mí lo que me sorprende de la sociedad japonesa es lo parecido que es a la barcelonesa. Quizás es que no sé mirar los videos de youtube o las películas de la tele de otra manera, quizás me falta más perspectiva. Pero a menudo pienso en esto, "¿cómo puede que seamos más parecidos a los japoneses que a los americanos?"

No lo sé, quizás todo es una mala percepción mía y en realidad en todas partes del mundo que observe lo veo igual, pero salvo la cultura que se exporta al mundo Occidental no encuentro mucha diferencia en el día a día.

Mr_House

Mr_House

Jul 14, 2022
Great. I know this might sound random but I have read about Japan and its culture a lot.

Considering how popular stuff like anime, manga and Japanese martial arts is everywhere in the world we outsiders come across some cultural reference to Japan a lot especially when browsing internet. I am personally not a huge fan of either manga or anime. But I think and feel that Japanese culture is very beautiful. Everything is very gorgeous whether it's the traditional dress and customs or the food or the landscape.

However, I don't know how to put this without seeming like I am ill informed but it seems to me there is a sense of some kind of mental health problems somewhere in Japanese culture more than other places.

From what I've read and seen, there's a large otaku and hikikomori population. I also get some vibe of there's also some kind of deep mental anguish especially when I read about some of the horrible crimes the Japanese Army did during WW2 and the consequences of defeat in WW2 and also being the only nation in the world where not one but two nuclear bombs were dropped.

And also I get this feeling that Japanese culture is somewhere not very responsive to people, especially men who have mental health problems, and that's causing more mental health issues in Japan than maybe other countries. I have also read that being overworked to the point of falling asleep wherever is celebrated in Japanese culture.

So to sum up and ask the main question : Is there some kind of wide scale mental health crisis in Japan, or am I just wrong ?
素晴らしい。これはランダムに聞こえるかもしれませんが、私は日本とその文化についてたくさん読んできました。

アニメや漫画、日本の武道などが世界でどれだけ人気があるかを考えると、私たち部外者は、特にインターネットを閲覧しているときに、日本に関する文化的な言及によく出くわすのです。私は個人的には、漫画もアニメもあまり好きではありません。しかし、日本の文化はとても美しいと思いますし、そう感じています。伝統的な服装や習慣、食べ物や風景など、すべてがとてもゴージャスです。

ただ、情報弱者と思われないようにどう言えばいいのかわかりませんが、日本の文化には、他の地域よりも、どこかに精神的な問題があるような気がするのです。

私が読んだり見たりしたところでは、オタクやヒキコモリの人口が多いようです。また、第二次世界大戦中に日本軍が行った恐ろしい犯罪や敗戦の結果、また世界で唯一核爆弾が2つも落とされた国の話を読むと、特に深い精神的苦痛を感じているような気がしています。

また、日本の文化は、特に精神的な問題を抱えた男性に対してあまり反応しないところがあり、それが他の国よりも精神的な問題を引き起こしているような気がしています。また、日本の文化では、どこでも寝込んでしまうほど過労になることが賞賛されていると読んだことがあります。

つまり、日本には大規模な精神衛生上の危機があるのか、それとも私が間違っているのか、ということです。

(Another Question Translation just-in-case any people from Japan see this post)​

Reactions: akana, Neneko Izumozaki, Dead Ghost and 1 other person
Install-Gentoo

Install-Gentoo

Aug 23, 2022

In Japan there is a large amount of pressure to do well and mistakes have heavy effects. Most people will work at two or three companies in their life in Japan, while Americans work at 12 companies on average over the course of their life. This means that if you have a stressful job, it is considered very strange to leave for a new job; you must simply deal with your current one.
In Japanese there is a term called 過労死 (karoushi) which literally means "death by overworking). Sometimes people will suddenly die due to stress from overworking, and the reason is not entirely clear (its not suicide). Sometimes it's like a heart attack, sometimes not.
The school that you are accepted into is a very important thing in your life, and if you do not get accepted into a good school, it is a common reason for suicide. (This is shared with Korea)
In addition, Japan's economy is having a bit of a decline, but so is everywhere else.
Hopefully Neneko can offer more information, but this is some of my knowledge gathered from Japanese people I talk to daily.

• Informative
Reactions: WhatDoesTheFoxSay?, akana, Pluto and 6 others
Painless_end

Painless_end

Oct 11, 2019
In Japan there is a large amount of pressure to do well and mistakes have heavy effects. Most people will work at two or three companies in their life in Japan, while Americans work at 12 companies on average over the course of their life. This means that if you have a stressful job, it is considered very strange to leave for a new job; you must simply deal with your current one.
In Japanese there is a term called 過労死 (karoushi) which literally means "death by overworking). Sometimes people will suddenly die due to stress from overworking, and the reason is not entirely clear (its not suicide). Sometimes it's like a heart attack, sometimes not.
The school that you are accepted into is a very important thing in your life, and if you do not get accepted into a good school, it is a common reason for suicide. (This is shared with Korea)
In addition, Japan's economy is having a bit of a decline, but so is everywhere else.
Hopefully Neneko can offer more information, but this is some of my knowledge gathered from Japanese people I talk to daily.
Thank you very much

Reactions: Mr_House
Zegers

Zegers

Enlightened
Dec 15, 2021
I can be from Japan if you invite me to live at your place :hihi:

• Wow
Neneko Izumozaki

Neneko Izumozaki

Aug 18, 2022
First of all, I'm not very good at English, so I'm sorry if it's hard to read.

I read your question with interest.
In conclusion, your guess is very correct.
Japan is facing a massive and severe mental health crisis.

There are many reasons why this is the case,
I will mention a few points that come to mind.

Excessive praise of labor and Super-aging population

This is related to the period of high economic growth that Japan experienced from the 1950s to the 1980s.
At that time, 90% of the population enjoyed material wealth.
After all, the minimum compound annual rate at that time was 7%!
It was, to put it bluntly, an extraordinary boom.
The generation that has enjoyed the benefits of this era is strongly imprinted that working is justice.
They still think that people who don't work are evil.

In Japan, where people aged 65 and over account for 30% of the population,
This damning trend is firmly enveloping society as a whole.

I think it also has something to do with Japanese national character.
The same can be said about the ancient seppuku (harakiri) and the kamikaze corps of WW2,
Japan is a country that strongly values collectiveness and does not respect individuals.
Most Japanese people behave like a lot of sheep.
There is a trend that orders from above are absolute and must be obeyed no matter how unreasonable they may be.

I think these are the main factors that cause "karoshi"(death by overworking).

That's why so many people commit suicide.
According to official statistics, 30,000 people commit suicide every year in Japan.
The reality is much more. Including missing persons, it is estimated that there are 100,000 suicides each year.
And more people have attempted suicide. One million people attempt suicide each year.

Of course, many people drop out of this ridiculous situation.
This is the reason why many people in their 30s to 50s are hikikomori(recluse).
Fortunately, their parents' generation lived in a booming economy, so many families have savings.
That's why they can continue a reclusive life for decades.

However, this situation is gradually approaching its limits.
Japan is now suffering from stagflation.
Food prices have risen by 20% in the last four months.
The savings of the parents' generation, who have been supporting hikikomori until now, are starting to run out.
A massive hell will soon begin in Japan.
Many Japanese young people who are thinking about suicide are muttering on Twitter every day.

"Hanging, jumping, briquette or helium? That's the question."
日本の社会で驚くのは、バルセロナと似ていることです。youtubeの動画やテレビ映画を違う角度から見る方法を知らないから、視野が狭いのかもしれませんね。でも、よく考えるのは、「アメリカ人よりも日本人に似ているのはどうすればいいのか」ということです。

もしかしたら、それは私の思い違いで、実は世界中どこを見ても同じように見えるのかもしれません。でも、欧米に輸出されている文化を除けば、日々の生活にはあまり違いを感じません。
Thank you for your kindness.
つまり、日本には大規模な精神衛生上の危機があるのか、それとも私が間違っているのか、ということです。

(Another Question Translation just-in-case any people from Japan see this post)​
Install-Gentoo's opinion is very accurate.

Although not as strict as South Korea, China, and India, Japan is also an academic background-oriented society,
and just a few mistakes can be fatal in life.

Most karoshi are caused by lack of sleep.
The Japanese tend to neglect sleep and do not understand how important sleep is to the human body.
Some people think it's a virtue to drink monster or redbull and play games all night.

Chronic sleep deprivation significantly weakens the immune system and causes organ failure.
Eventually, it causes fatal symptoms such as cerebral hemorrhage and myocardial infarction.

I think this is the true identity of Karoshi.

Last edited:
  • Informative
  • Love
Reactions: WhatDoesTheFoxSay?, BusTicketholder, akana and 12 others
Painless_end

Painless_end

Oct 11, 2019

This is related to the period of high economic growth that Japan experienced from the 1950s to the 1980s.
The generation that has enjoyed the benefits of this era is strongly imprinted that working is justice.

The same can be said about the ancient seppuku (harakiri) and the kamikaze corps of WW2,
Japan is a country that strongly values collectiveness and does not respect individuals.
There is a trend that orders from above are absolute and must be obeyed no matter how unreasonable they may be.

According to official statistics, 30,000 people commit suicide every year in Japan.
The reality is much more. Including missing persons, it is estimated that there are 100,000 suicides each year.
And more people have attempted suicide. One million people attempt suicide each year.

Fortunately, their parents' generation lived in a booming economy, so many families have savings.

The savings of the parents' generation, who have been supporting hikikomori until now, are starting to run out.
Many Japanese young people who are thinking about suicide are muttering on Twitter every day.

Although not as strict as South Korea, China, and India, Japan is also an academic background-oriented society,

The Japanese tend to neglect sleep and do not understand how important sleep is to the human body.
Some people think it's a virtue to drink monster or redbull and play games all night.

Chronic sleep deprivation significantly weakens the immune system and causes organ failure.
Eventually, it causes fatal symptoms such as cerebral hemorrhage and myocardial infarction.

The Japanese tend to neglect sleep and do not understand how important sleep is to the human body

Thank you very much for your reply. Thank you for taking the time and effort for it.

ありがとうございました

(Is this correct)

• Yay!
Reactions: Neneko Izumozaki, Dead Ghost and Mr_House
Mr_House

Mr_House

Jul 14, 2022
出雲崎ねねこさん、情報ありがとうございます!

• Yay!
Reactions: Dead Ghost and Neneko Izumozaki
N

noname223

Angelic
Aug 18, 2020

Your insights are very interesting thank you for posting that. I always had a fascination for Japan. But when I grew older I realized that the performance pressure in Japan is insane.

• Love
Reactions: WhatDoesTheFoxSay?, Dead Ghost, Neneko Izumozaki and 1 other person
Install-Gentoo

Install-Gentoo

Aug 23, 2022

説明してありがとうございます。
過労死について、ぼくはほんのりちょっとだけ知っていた。
興味あるね、今日本で硫化水素が自殺のためにまだ使っている?2008年にそれが起こったけど、今しらない。
前に、「620HAP」と「サンポール」を使ったら硫化水素を作ることできた。でも今に、そんな物を買うことできないと思う。

ぼくはアメリカに住んでいるから、ちがう物を買って、硫化水素をまだ作れる。
日本に、自殺したい人はまだ硫化水素を作ることできますか?日本に、自殺したい人は米国の人とちがう方法を使いますか?

ぼくは日本語を今まで6年練習している。

• Yay!
Dead Ghost

Dead Ghost

Mestre del Temps
May 6, 2022
私は日本語翻訳機を使用していますが、このPOSTにはとても満足しています。 また、90年代には日本に行くことを夢見ていました。 秋葉原を歩き、桜の中で新年を迎えたいと思っていたのです。
1978年生まれの私は、当時輸出されていた日本の文化と、アメリカから入ってきた文化が混ざり合って、強い影響を受けてきました。
ブレードランナー、グーニーズ、バックトゥザフューチャー、ターミネーターなどの映画やコナミ、任天堂、セガのゲーム(アウトランゲームセンターで過ごした午後は貴重です)を楽しんだ美しい時代でした。
そして、私の大好きなシリーズ、おそらく私にとっての最高傑作、Dr.Slumpはどうでしょう...。 ならドラゴンボール。

//

I am using the Japanese translator and I must say that I am quite happy with this POST. I also dreamed, in the 90s, when I went to Japan, I wanted to walk around Akihabara and celebrate the new year among cherry blossoms.
Since I was born in 1978, I have had a strong influence of the Japanese culture that was exported at the time, mixed completely with that coming from the United States.
It was a very cool time, enjoying at the same time movies like Blade Runner, The Goonies, Back To The Future, Terminator and Konami, Nintendo and SEGA games (those afternoons with the Out Run arcade are priceless).
And what about my favorite series, perhaps the best of all, for me, Dr. Slump... then Dragon Ball.

//

Estic usant el traductor de Japonés i he de dir que em trobo força content amb aquest POST. Jo també somiava, als anys 90, en anar al Japó, volía passejar per akihabara i celebrar l'any nou entre flors de cirerers.
Com que vaig néixer el 1978 he tingut una forta influéncia de la cultura japonesa que s'exportava llavors, barrejada totalment amb la que venía dels Estats Units.
Va ser una época molt maca, gaudint alhora de películes com Blade Runner, Els Goonies, Retorn al Futur, Terminator i dels jocs de Konami, Nintendo i SEGA (aquelles tardes amb el recreatiu d'Out Run són impagables).
Y que dir de les meves séries preferides, potser la millor de totes, per mi, el Dr.Slump... després ja Bola de Drac.

• Hugs
Reactions: Mr_House, Neneko Izumozaki, Painless_end and 1 other person
Muerte negra

Muerte negra

Acaso importa ?
Aug 22, 2022
En mi lista de "Cosas que realizar antes de cometer suicidio" está como primer regla, VISITAR JAPON ♥️ .
Amo todo lo relacionado a Japón, su cultura, sus reglas, su educación, anime, manga, videojuegos etc ).
Las mujeres japonesas son verdaderamente HERMOSAS !!!

私 は 日本語 翻訳 機 を 使用 し て い ます が が 、 Post に は とても 満足 し ます。 また 、 90 年代 に は に こと を 夢 見 て い まし た た た 秋葉原 を 歩き 、 桜 新年 たい たい たい たい たい たい たい たい たい たい たい たい たい たい たい たい たい たい たい たい たい たい たい たい たい たい たい たい たい たい たい たい たい たい たい たい たい たい たい たい たい たい たい たい たい たい たい たい たい たい たい たい たいたい たい たい たい たい たい たい たい たい たい たい たい たい たい たい たい たい たい たい たい たい たい たい たい たい たい たい たい たい たい たい たい たい たい たい たい たい たい たい たい たい たい たい たい たい たい たい と 思っ た のです のです のです のです のです のです のです のです のです のです のです のです のです のです のです のです のです のです のです のです のです のです のです のです のです のです のです のです のです のです のです のです のです のです のです のです のです のです のです のです のです のです のです のです のです のです. 。
1978 年生まれ の 私 は 、 当時 輸出 さ れ て い た 日本 の 文化 と 、 アメリカ 入っ て て き た 文化 混ざり 合っ て 強い 影響 を 受け て き た 。。。。。。。。。。。。。 。。。。。。。。。。。。。 。。。。。。。。。。。。。 。。。。。。。。。。。。。 。。。。。。。。。。。。。 。。。。。。。。。。。。。 。。。。。。。。。。。。。 。。。。。。。。。。。。。 。。。。。。。。。。。。。 。。。。。。。。。。。。。 。。。。。。。。。。。。。 。。。。。。。。。。。。。 。。。。。。。。。。。。。 。。。。。。。。。。。。。 。。。。。。。。。。。。。 。。。。。。。。。。。。。 。。。。。。。。。。。。。 。。。。。。。。。。。。。 。。。。。。。。。。。。。 。。。。。。。。。。。。。 。。。。。。。。。。。。。 。。。。。。。。。。。。
ブレードランナー 、 グーニーズ 、 バックトゥザ フューチャー フューチャー 、 ターミネーター など の 映画 や コナミ コナミ 、 任天堂 、 セガ の ゲーム (ゲーム センター センター で た は は 貴重 です を 楽しん だ 美しい 時代 た 。。。。 た た た た た た た た た た た た た た た た た た た た た た た た た た た た た た た た た た た た た た た た た た た た た eléctricoた た た た た た た た た た た た た た た た た た た た た た た た た た た た た た た た た た た た た た た た た た た た た た た た た た た た た た た た た た た た た た た た た た た た た た た た た た た た た た た た た た た た た た た た た た た た た た た た.た た た た た た た た た た た た た た た た た た た た た た た
そして 、 私 の 大 好き な シリーズ 、 おそらく 私 にとって の 最高 傑作 、 Dr.Slump は どう でしょ う ... なら なら 。。 。。

//

Estoy usando el traductor de japonés y debo decir que estoy bastante contento con este POST. También soñé, en los años 90, cuando fui a Japón, quería pasear por Akihabara y celebrar el año nuevo entre los cerezos en flor.
Desde que nací en 1978 tuvo una fuerte influencia de la cultura japonesa que se exportaba en la época, mezclada completamente con la procedente de Estados Unidos.
Fue una época muy chula, disfrutando al mismo tiempo de películas como Blade Runner, Los Goonies, Regreso al futuro, Terminator y Konami, juegos de Nintendo y SEGA (esas tardes con el arcade Out Run no tienen precio).
Y que decir de mi serie favorita, quizás la mejor de todas, para mí, Dr. Slump... luego Dragon Ball.

//

Estic use el traductor de Japonés i he de dir que em trobo força content amb aquest POST. Jo també somiava, als anys 90, en anar al Japó, volía passejar per akihabara i celebrar l'any nou entre flors de cirerers.
Com que vaig néixer el 1978 he tingut una forta influéncia de la cultura japonesa que s'exportava llavors, barrejada totalment amb la que vino dels Estats Units.
Va ser una época molt maca, gaudint alhora de películes com Blade Runner, Els Goonies, Retorn al Futur, Terminator i dels jocs de Konami, Nintendo i SEGA (aquelles tardes amb el recreatiu d'Out Run són impagables).
Y que dir de les meves séries preferides, potser la millor de totes, per mi, el Dr.Slump... després ja Bola de DTenéd dragon

私 は 日本語 翻訳 機 を 使用 し て い ます が 、 この Post に は とても 満足 し て ます。 また 、 90 年代 に は に に こと を 夢見 て い まし た た 秋葉原 を 歩き 、 桜 で で 新年 たい たい たい たい たい たい たい たい たい たい たい たい たい たい たい たい たい たい たい たい たい たい たい たい たい たい たい たい たい たい たい たい たい たい たい たい たい たい たい たい たい たい たい たい たい たいと思っていたのです。
1978 年生まれ の 私 は 、 当時 輸出 さ れ て い た 日本 の 文化 と 、 アメリカ 入っ て て き た 文化 混ざり合っ て 、 強い 影響 を 受け て き た。。。。。。。。。。。。。。。。。。。。。。。。。
ブレードランナー 、 グーニーズ 、 バックトゥザ フューチャー 、 ターミネーター など の 映画 や コナミ 、 任天堂 、 セガ の ゲーム (ゲーム センター センター で た 午後 は 貴重 です) を 楽しん だ 美しい 時代 た。。。。 た た た た た た た た た た た た た た た た た た た た た た た た た た た た た た た た た た た た た た た た た た た た た た た た た た た た た た た た た た た た た た た た た た た た た た た た た た た た た た た た た た
そして 、 私 の 大 好き な シリーズ 、 おそらく 私 にとって の 最高 傑作 、 Dr.Slump は どう でしょ う ... なら なら ボール。。

//

Estoy usando el traductor de japonés y debo decir que estoy bastante contento con este POST. También soñé, en los años 90, cuando fui a Japón, quería pasear por Akihabara y celebrar el año nuevo entre los cerezos en flor.
Desde que nací en 1978 he tenido una fuerte influencia de la cultura japonesa que se exportaba en la época, mezclada completamente con la proveniente de Estados Unidos.
Fue una época muy chula, disfrutando al mismo tiempo de películas como Blade Runner, Los Goonies, Regreso al futuro, Terminator y Konami, juegos de Nintendo y SEGA (esas tardes con el arcade Out Run no tienen precio).
Y que decir de mi serie favorita, quizás la mejor de todas, para mí, Dr. Slump... luego Dragon Ball.

//

Estic usent el traductor de Japonés i he de dir que em trobo força content amb aquest POST. Jo també somiava, als anys 90, en anar al Japó, volía passejar per akihabara i celebrar l'any nou entre flors de cirerers.
Com que vaig néixer el 1978 he tingut una forta influéncia de la cultura japonesa que s'exportava llavors, barrejada totalment amb la que vino dels Estats Units.
Y que dir de les meves séries preferides, potser la millor de totes, per mi, el Dr.Slump... després ja Bola de Drac.
Tenemos gustos y edades muy parecidas. Veo con alegría que as visitado Japón, que envidia 😊.
Algún día, cuando todo termine, visitaré Japón y moriré hay, sería tan hermoso !!!

Buenas madrugadas.

Last edited:
  • Yay!
  • Hugs
Reactions: Mr_House, Neneko Izumozaki and Dead Ghost
Dead Ghost

Dead Ghost

Mestre del Temps
May 6, 2022
En mi lista de "Cosas que realizar antes de cometer suicidio" está como primer regla, VISITAR JAPON ♥️ .
Amo todo lo relacionado a Japón, su cultura, sus reglas, su educación, anime, manga, videojuegos etc ).

Tenemos gustos y edades muy parecidas. Veo con alegría que as visitado Japón, que envidia 😊.
Algún día, cuando todo termine, visitaré Japón y moriré hay, sería tan hermoso !!!

Buenas madrugadas.
No he ido al Japón, lo siento... esos traductores web. Es por eso que siempre pongo el texto original. Mira, la frase sería así:
"... yo también soñaba, en los años 90, con ir a Japón."

Lamento la confusión. No se si algún día iré, tengo que mejorar demasiado mi salud para atreverme a hacer un viaje de esa dificultad.

• Hugs
Reactions: Mr_House and Neneko Izumozaki
Quinlor

Quinlor

The stranger
Feb 21, 2019
From what I heard it is very easy to ctb in Japan, it is culturally more accepted, there is even a place called suicide forest so they don't need to look for anything on the net. Besides that only 10% of Japanese people speak English.

• Wow
  • Informative
Neneko Izumozaki

Neneko Izumozaki

Aug 18, 2022
説明してありがとうございます。
過労死について、ぼくはほんのりちょっとだけ知っていた。
興味あるね、今日本で硫化水素が自殺のためにまだ使っている?2008年にそれが起こったけど、今しらない。
前に、「620HAP」と「サンポール」を使ったら硫化水素を作ることできた。でも今に、そんな物を買うことできないと思う。

ぼくはアメリカに住んでいるから、ちがう物を買って、硫化水素をまだ作れる。
日本に、自殺したい人はまだ硫化水素を作ることできますか?日本に、自殺したい人は米国の人とちがう方法を使いますか?

ぼくは日本語を今まで6年練習している。
>>ぼくは日本語を今まで6年練習している。

Six years!😲
I respect your effort. Your Japanese is very fluent.

Suicide methods using hydrogen sulfide are no longer popular,
but it is still possible to prepare materials. Of the "610HAP" and "サンポール",
the sale of the 610HAP was prohibited 13 years ago. However,
since this can be substituted with a "石灰硫黄合剤(Lime sulfur)" sold as an agricultural chemical in Japan,
there are still occasional suicides using hydrogen sulfide.

For example, the case of Hana Kimura who committed suicide
with hydrogen sulfide in 2020 made a lot of headlines in Japan.

reference: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hana_Kimura
私は日本語翻訳機を使用していますが、このPOSTにはとても満足しています。 また、90年代には日本に行くことを夢見ていました。 秋葉原を歩き、桜の中で新年を迎えたいと思っていたのです。
1978年生まれの私は、当時輸出されていた日本の文化と、アメリカから入ってきた文化が混ざり合って、強い影響を受けてきました。
ブレードランナー、グーニーズ、バックトゥザフューチャー、ターミネーターなどの映画やコナミ、任天堂、セガのゲーム(アウトランゲームセンターで過ごした午後は貴重です)を楽しんだ美しい時代でした。
そして、私の大好きなシリーズ、おそらく私にとっての最高傑作、Dr.Slumpはどうでしょう...。 ならドラゴンボール。
Dead Ghost, I think you were born at the right time to enjoy them.
The 1990s was a period of maturity for Japanese manga, anime, and game culture.
All the titles you mentioned make me feel nostalgic.
I am always amazed at how well known Dragon Ball is overseas.
I like Arale-chan too!

Well, as for me... I loved FF11, an MMO.
It was the first online game I ever played in my life, so it just blew me away!
I was young at the time, and my English was even worse than it is now,
so when I had my first party with a person from abroad, I was confused.
I remember saying "what food do you like?" in broken English.
The person was very kind, so I had a great time.
Since then, my image of people living abroad has changed.

Akihabara was close to my alma mater, so I often walked with my classmates.
Akihabara in the 2000s was truly a mecca for otaku😅
Muchas gracias por su comentario. Me alegro mucho!😆
Espero que tengas un buen viaje.
From what I heard it is very easy to ctb in Japan, it is culturally more accepted, there is even a place called suicide forest so they don't need to look for anything on the net. Besides that only 10% of Japanese people speak English.
Japanese people are indeed prone to suicide.
However, there are not many people who can die gracefully.
Like people in other countries, many Japanese are overwhelmed by the fear they feel when contemplating suicide.
People who want to commit suicide are desperately searching every day for the least painful way possible.

Also, all drugs are strictly prohibited in Japan, so I think that also contributes to the high suicide rate.

The sea of trees known as Aokigahara is certainly a dense and dark forest,
but I feel that overseas reports are exaggerated.

>>Besides that only 10% of Japanese people speak English.

That's right! ...Ah... You're very kind but that's too much🤣

There may be about 10% of Japanese people who can read English,
but I think there are even fewer who can speak it. Maybe around 5%.

Last edited:
  • Informative
  • Yay!
Reactions: WhatDoesTheFoxSay?, Alcoholic Teletubby, Muerte negra and 4 others
Dead Ghost

Dead Ghost

Mestre del Temps
May 6, 2022
ドラゴンボールが初めてテレビで放映されたとき、学校のみんながアラレちゃんのファンで、ある日突然、何の前触れもなく、ちょっと失礼な男の子がすごい力を発揮するというストーリーを流していたのを覚えています。このシリーズで、誰もがドクタースランプの世界の刻印を認識した。
よく悟空とアラレちゃんを比較して、あちこちにファン軍団が出てきたんですが...延々と続く戦いがファンタジーの話に取って代わったあたりから、ちょっとおかしくなってきたんですよね。Zサーガが始まった時点で、シリーズを見なくなった人も多いと言わざるを得ません。面白いことに、それまでドラゴンボールが嫌いだった人が、聖闘士星矢(私は1話も見たことがない)の放送が終了したときに、ドラゴンボールに乗り換えた人が多かったんですよ。でも、その変化はとても早く、視聴率では目立たなかったんです。

それから何年もかけて「るろうに剣心」シリーズにはまり、昼休みに「バフィー・ザ・ヴァンパイア・スレイヤー」と一緒に見ていた、あの頃はいい夏だった(熱心に勉強しながら・・・いやいや、私はどちらかというと野比のび太派なんです、ハハハ)。

地中海のような身近な文化が表現されているのです。ジブリはとてもいい作品を持っています。

そして、長くなってしまいました。何を言っていいのかわからないまま書き始めると、どんどん埋まっていってしまうのはいつものことです......。
ご興味のない方はご迷惑をおかけします。

//
ENGLISH:

I remember when Dragon Ball premiered on television, at school everyone was a fan of Arale, and from one day to the next, without warning, they showed the story of a boy, somewhat rude, with incredible strength. Everyone knew how to recognize the imprint of the Dr. Slump universe in this series.
We often compared Goku to Arale and a whole legion of fans came out all over the place... things started to go a bit awry when the endless fights started replacing the fantasy stories. I have to say that a lot of people stopped watching the series when the Z saga started. Curiously, a lot of people who previously disliked Dragon Ball switched to it when Saint Seiya (of which I've never seen a single episode) stopped airing. But that change was very fast and it didn't show up in the ratings.

Then over the years if I got really hooked on the Rurouni Kenshin series, I watched this one and at noon Buffy The Vampire Slayer, I had a good summer then (while studying with devotion... okay no, I'm more of a Nobita Nobi style, hahaha).

Of the anime that I liked the most, without a doubt the most important for me is Porco Rosso, you find represented a recognizable and very close and familiar culture, as is the Mediterranean. Ghibli has very good movies.

And I'm getting long, it always happens to me when I start writing without knowing well what to say, I'm filling and filling...
Sorry for the inconvenience if you are not interested.

//
CATALÀ:

M'enrecordo quan van estrenar Bola de Drac a la televisió, a l'escola tothom era fan de l'Arale i d'un día per l'altre, sense avisar, van posar la história d'un nen, un pèl maleducat, amb una força increïble. Tothom va saber reconéixer l'emprenta de l'univers del Dr.Slump en aquesta série.
Sovint comparavem en Goku amb l'Arale i tota una legió de fans van sortir per tot arreu.. la cosa es va començar a torçar una mica quan van començar les lluïtes interminables en substitució de les històries fantasioses. He de dir que molta gent va deixar de veure la série quan va començar la saga Z. Curiosament un munt de gent que amb anterioritat renegava de Bola de Drac s'hi van passar llavors, al deixar-se d'emetre Saint Seiya (del qual encara no he vist mai cap capítol). Però aquest canvi va ser molt ràpid i no es va notar pas en els índex d'audiència.

Després amb els anys si que em vaig enganxar molt a la série de Rurouni Kenshin, veia aquesta i al migdía Buffy The Vampire Slayer, vaig passar un bon estiu llavors (mentres estudiava amb devoció.. val no, sóc més de l'estil d'en Nobita Nobi, hahaha).

Dels anime que més m'han colpit, sens dubte el més important per a mi és Porco Rosso, hi trobes representada una cultura reconeixible i molt propera i familiar, com és la mediterrània. Ghibli te molt bones películes.

I m'estic enrotllant, sempre em passa quan començo a escriure sense saber ben bé que dir, vaig omplint i omplint...
Discupeu les molésties si no us interesa pas.

//
ESPAÑOL:

Me acuerdo cuando estrenaron Dragon Ball en televisión, en la escuela todo el mundo era fan de Arale y de un día para otro, sin avisar, pusieron la historia de un niño, algo maleducado, con una fuerza increíble. Todo el mundo supo reconocer la impronta del universo del Dr.Slump en esta serie.
A menudo comparábamos a Goku con Arale y toda una legión de fans salieron por todas partes.. la cosa empezó a torcerse un poco cuando empezaron las luchas interminables en sustitución de las historias fantasiosas. Tengo que decir que mucha gente dejó de ver la serie cuando empezó la saga Z. Curiosamente un montón de gente que con anterioridad renegaba de Dragon Ball se pasaron entonces, al dejarse de emitir Saint Seiya (del que nunca he visto ningún capítulo). Pero ese cambio fue muy rápido y no se notó en los índices de audiencia.

Luego con los años si que me enganché mucho a la serie de Rurouni Kenshin, veía esta y al mediodía Buffy The Vampire Slayer, pasé un buen verano entonces (mientras estudiaba con devoción.. vale no, soy más del estilo de Nobita Nobi, hahaha).

De los anime que más me han gustado, sin duda el más importante para mí es Porco Rosso, encuentras representada una cultura reconocible y muy cercana y familiar, como es la mediterránea. Ghibli tiene muy buenas películas.

Y me estoy enrollando, siempre me pasa cuando empiezo a escribir sin saber bien qué decir, voy llenando y llenando...
Disculpad las molestias si no os interesa.

* カタルーニャ語とスペイン語しか知らないので、たくさんの翻訳にちょっと圧倒されています、間違いがあったらごめんなさい。
* I'm a bit overwhelmed with so many translations, sorry for any mistakes, I only know Catalan and Spanish.
* Estic un mica agobiat entre tanta traducció, disculpeu les errades que hi pugui haver, que jo només se català i castellà
* Estoy un poco agobiado entre tanta traducción, disculpad los errores que pueda haber, que yo sólo se catalán y castellano

• Hugs
Painless_end

Painless_end

Oct 11, 2019
>>ぼくは日本語を今まで6年練習している。

Six years!😲

since this can be substituted with a "石灰硫黄合剤(Lime sulfur)" sold as an agricultural chemical in Japan,

I like Arale-chan too!

Like people in other countries, many Japanese are overwhelmed by the fear they feel when contemplating suicide.
People who want to commit suicide are desperately searching every day for the least painful way possible.

Also, all drugs are strictly prohibited in Japan, so I think that also contributes to the high suicide rate.

What is Japan's feeling towards other countries?

Is there some kind of shame because Japan lost WW2 ? Is it related to the present day mental health crisis in the country?

I feel like the Japanese was a very proud society with rich history and believed that they would win WW2 so it must have come as a shock to them to learn that they were in fact, losing. Has that created a sense of inferiority complex in the society?

I can't help but get the feeling based solely on the very limited number of anime that I've seen that there's some kind of deep mental repression in the collective consciousness of current Japanese society. I am not even talking of hentai. But mass market anime where there are scenes when a lone young man excessively obsesses on body parts of some female and his thoughts are shown on screen. It's like those anime are made to cater to sick, perverted minds. Even anime with graphic violence have such detailed description of blood, gore and violence sometimes that it feels creepy.

One of the reasons I think this is when I read about two things:

First one : the Massacre and mass rape at Nanjing China during WW2. Now this happened during WW2 but I can't imagine what kind of sick perverted demented army would allow its soldiers to indulge in mass rape, mutilation and wholesale slaughter of women and children in an enemy country. It defies the rational mind. What kind of demons did Japan have in government and army during WW2 who would allow such a heinous thing to be committed.

Secondly, one of the most disturbing cases of sexual assault and murder in the entire world is the horrible rape, torture and murder of Junko Furuta. What kind of devious horrible humans commit such a monstrous act on a person ?

I am sorry to take the discussion to a darker place, considering that you were discussing light hearted elements of Japanese culture but this is why I made this post in the first place. I wanted to ask what was so wrong with Japanese society that such atrocities on others are committed without remorse.

Thank you.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: Mr_House and Girl-shaped Wound
Girl-shaped Wound

Girl-shaped Wound

In love with a person that doesn't exist
Feb 19, 2022
@Neneko Izumozaki thank you so much for sharing your knowledge an experience!

When I've started being fascinated in Japan and it's pop culture, my parents blamed anime and manga on my suicidal depression and self-harm (I was 13 years old at the time). They said that in Japan, suicide is seen as an answer to everything and that this culture of death corrupts media coming from the country. I wonder what would you think about it?
Of course my parents were wrong and cruelly blind - never cared to actually help me with my severe mental health issues. They preferred to blame it on comics that helped me cope with my suffering. Not to mention that I've consumed plenty of western media containing scenes of self-harm and suicide. All of that was a coping mechanism rather than the trigger that made my min go to hell.

By the way... have your ever browsed the Suicide Manual book? It is available on libgen. I've always been fascinated with it. Sadly, I don't speak Japanese and the machine translated file that I have is difficult to read due to a botched formatting and of course deeply flawed translation. I really liked the foreward mentioning a friend of the author who always carried a cyanide capsule (if I remember correctly) with him an how the ability to end his life whenever gave him true freedom.
The Suicide Manual is clearly outdated and not as good source of knowledge as the Peaceful Pill or this forum, but I still find it fascinating.

• Hugs
Reactions: Mr_House, Neneko Izumozaki and Dead Ghost
Install-Gentoo

Install-Gentoo

Aug 23, 2022
>>ぼくは日本語を今まで6年練習している。

Six years!😲

I like Arale-chan too!

Thanks for the info! I will read about Hana Kimura.

Neneko Izumozaki

Neneko Izumozaki

Aug 18, 2022

Is there some kind of shame because Japan lost WW2 ? Is it related to the present day mental health crisis in the country?

I feel like the Japanese was a very proud society with rich history and believed that they would win WW2 so it must have come as a shock to them to learn that they were in fact, losing. Has that created a sense of inferiority complex in the society?

I can't help but get the feeling based solely on the very limited number of anime that I've seen that there's some kind of deep mental repression in the collective consciousness of current Japanese society. I am not even talking of hentai. But mass market anime where there are scenes when a lone young man excessively obsesses on body parts of some female and his thoughts are shown on screen. It's like those anime are made to cater to sick, perverted minds. Even anime with graphic violence have such detailed description of blood, gore and violence sometimes that it feels creepy.

First one : the Massacre and mass rape at Nanjing China during WW2. Now this happened during WW2 but I can't imagine what kind of sick perverted demented army would allow its soldiers to indulge in mass rape, mutilation and wholesale slaughter of women and children in an enemy country. It defies the rational mind. What kind of demons did Japan have in government and army during WW2 who would allow such a heinous thing to be committed.

Secondly, one of the most disturbing cases of sexual assault and murder in the entire world is the horrible rape, torture and murder of Junko Furuta. What kind of devious horrible humans commit such a monstrous act on a person ?

I am sorry to take the discussion to a darker place, considering that you were discussing light hearted elements of Japanese culture but this is why I made this post in the first place. I wanted to ask what was so wrong with Japanese society that such atrocities on others are committed without remorse.

Thank you.
Your question is a serious subject, so it will take time to answer.
I'm in the process of translating so that there are no discrepancies as much as possible,
so please give me some time.
ドラゴンボールが初めてテレビで放映されたとき、学校のみんながアラレちゃんのファンで、ある日突然、何の前触れもなく、ちょっと失礼な男の子がすごい力を発揮するというストーリーを流していたのを覚えています。このシリーズで、誰もがドクタースランプの世界の刻印を認識した。
よく悟空とアラレちゃんを比較して、あちこちにファン軍団が出てきたんですが...延々と続く戦いがファンタジーの話に取って代わったあたりから、ちょっとおかしくなってきたんですよね。Zサーガが始まった時点で、シリーズを見なくなった人も多いと言わざるを得ません。面白いことに、それまでドラゴンボールが嫌いだった人が、聖闘士星矢(私は1話も見たことがない)の放送が終了したときに、ドラゴンボールに乗り換えた人が多かったんですよ。でも、その変化はとても早く、視聴率では目立たなかったんです。

それから何年もかけて「るろうに剣心」シリーズにはまり、昼休みに「バフィー・ザ・ヴァンパイア・スレイヤー」と一緒に見ていた、あの頃はいい夏だった(熱心に勉強しながら・・・いやいや、私はどちらかというと野比のび太派なんです、ハハハ)。

地中海のような身近な文化が表現されているのです。ジブリはとてもいい作品を持っています。

そして、長くなってしまいました。何を言っていいのかわからないまま書き始めると、どんどん埋まっていってしまうのはいつものことです......。
ご興味のない方はご迷惑をおかけします。

//
ENGLISH:

I remember when Dragon Ball premiered on television, at school everyone was a fan of Arale, and from one day to the next, without warning, they showed the story of a boy, somewhat rude, with incredible strength. Everyone knew how to recognize the imprint of the Dr. Slump universe in this series.
We often compared Goku to Arale and a whole legion of fans came out all over the place... things started to go a bit awry when the endless fights started replacing the fantasy stories. I have to say that a lot of people stopped watching the series when the Z saga started. Curiously, a lot of people who previously disliked Dragon Ball switched to it when Saint Seiya (of which I've never seen a single episode) stopped airing. But that change was very fast and it didn't show up in the ratings.

Then over the years if I got really hooked on the Rurouni Kenshin series, I watched this one and at noon Buffy The Vampire Slayer, I had a good summer then (while studying with devotion... okay no, I'm more of a Nobita Nobi style, hahaha).

Of the anime that I liked the most, without a doubt the most important for me is Porco Rosso, you find represented a recognizable and very close and familiar culture, as is the Mediterranean. Ghibli has very good movies.

And I'm getting long, it always happens to me when I start writing without knowing well what to say, I'm filling and filling...
Sorry for the inconvenience if you are not interested.

//
CATALÀ:

M'enrecordo quan van estrenar Bola de Drac a la televisió, a l'escola tothom era fan de l'Arale i d'un día per l'altre, sense avisar, van posar la história d'un nen, un pèl maleducat, amb una força increïble. Tothom va saber reconéixer l'emprenta de l'univers del Dr.Slump en aquesta série.
Sovint comparavem en Goku amb l'Arale i tota una legió de fans van sortir per tot arreu.. la cosa es va començar a torçar una mica quan van començar les lluïtes interminables en substitució de les històries fantasioses. He de dir que molta gent va deixar de veure la série quan va començar la saga Z. Curiosament un munt de gent que amb anterioritat renegava de Bola de Drac s'hi van passar llavors, al deixar-se d'emetre Saint Seiya (del qual encara no he vist mai cap capítol). Però aquest canvi va ser molt ràpid i no es va notar pas en els índex d'audiència.

Després amb els anys si que em vaig enganxar molt a la série de Rurouni Kenshin, veia aquesta i al migdía Buffy The Vampire Slayer, vaig passar un bon estiu llavors (mentres estudiava amb devoció.. val no, sóc més de l'estil d'en Nobita Nobi, hahaha).

Dels anime que més m'han colpit, sens dubte el més important per a mi és Porco Rosso, hi trobes representada una cultura reconeixible i molt propera i familiar, com és la mediterrània. Ghibli te molt bones películes.

I m'estic enrotllant, sempre em passa quan començo a escriure sense saber ben bé que dir, vaig omplint i omplint...
Discupeu les molésties si no us interesa pas.

//
ESPAÑOL:

Me acuerdo cuando estrenaron Dragon Ball en televisión, en la escuela todo el mundo era fan de Arale y de un día para otro, sin avisar, pusieron la historia de un niño, algo maleducado, con una fuerza increíble. Todo el mundo supo reconocer la impronta del universo del Dr.Slump en esta serie.
A menudo comparábamos a Goku con Arale y toda una legión de fans salieron por todas partes.. la cosa empezó a torcerse un poco cuando empezaron las luchas interminables en sustitución de las historias fantasiosas. Tengo que decir que mucha gente dejó de ver la serie cuando empezó la saga Z. Curiosamente un montón de gente que con anterioridad renegaba de Dragon Ball se pasaron entonces, al dejarse de emitir Saint Seiya (del que nunca he visto ningún capítulo). Pero ese cambio fue muy rápido y no se notó en los índices de audiencia.

Luego con los años si que me enganché mucho a la serie de Rurouni Kenshin, veía esta y al mediodía Buffy The Vampire Slayer, pasé un buen verano entonces (mientras estudiaba con devoción.. vale no, soy más del estilo de Nobita Nobi, hahaha).

De los anime que más me han gustado, sin duda el más importante para mí es Porco Rosso, encuentras representada una cultura reconocible y muy cercana y familiar, como es la mediterránea. Ghibli tiene muy buenas películas.

Y me estoy enrollando, siempre me pasa cuando empiezo a escribir sin saber bien qué decir, voy llenando y llenando...
Disculpad las molestias si no os interesa.

* カタルーニャ語とスペイン語しか知らないので、たくさんの翻訳にちょっと圧倒されています、間違いがあったらごめんなさい。
* I'm a bit overwhelmed with so many translations, sorry for any mistakes, I only know Catalan and Spanish.
* Estic un mica agobiat entre tanta traducció, disculpeu les errades que hi pugui haver, que jo només se català i castellà
* Estoy un poco agobiado entre tanta traducción, disculpad los errores que pueda haber, que yo sólo se catalán y castellano
Rurouni Kenshin really got me hooked,too.
nostalgic... I still remember the name of the Special Skill.
九頭龍閃(Nine-Head Dragon Flash), 天翔龍閃(Flash of the Heavenly Soaring Dragon)...etc.

I was very young when I saw Porco Rosso,
so I could not fully understand the content of the story,
but I do remember the townscape and scenery being beautiful.
But what impressed me the most was Fio Piccolo. She is very cute. kawaii.

Dead Ghost, you really know a lot about Japanese pop culture. I could feel your enthusiasm.
@Neneko Izumozaki thank you so much for sharing your knowledge an experience!

When I've started being fascinated in Japan and it's pop culture, my parents blamed anime and manga on my suicidal depression and self-harm (I was 13 years old at the time). They said that in Japan, suicide is seen as an answer to everything and that this culture of death corrupts media coming from the country. I wonder what would you think about it?
Of course my parents were wrong and cruelly blind - never cared to actually help me with my severe mental health issues. They preferred to blame it on comics that helped me cope with my suffering. Not to mention that I've consumed plenty of western media containing scenes of self-harm and suicide. All of that was a coping mechanism rather than the trigger that made my min go to hell.

By the way... have your ever browsed the Suicide Manual book? It is available on libgen. I've always been fascinated with it. Sadly, I don't speak Japanese and the machine translated file that I have is difficult to read due to a botched formatting and of course deeply flawed translation. I really liked the foreward mentioning a friend of the author who always carried a cyanide capsule (if I remember correctly) with him an how the ability to end his life whenever gave him true freedom.
The Suicide Manual is clearly outdated and not as good source of knowledge as the Peaceful Pill or this forum, but I still find it fascinating.
That must have been very painful for you.

I believe that manga, anime, and games can help ease mental pain.
There are exceptions, of course, and some works make me feel terrible after reading them.
In my case, after I finished reading "Goodnight Punpun",
I couldn't get rid of my depressed mood for about a week.
So I can't recommend that work to people who are depressed.
It's a very impressive work, but it was too bad ending...
I wanted the person in this work, who had a tragic end, to drink N.

I have read the suicide manual, though it was more than a decade ago.
The contents of that book are not practical, but I think that
there were many people who were spiritually supported.
I can understand a little of your difficulty in reading this book.
I feel similarly when I look at this site.
I always read your comments while looking at the dictionary.

Last edited:
  • Yay!
Reactions: WhatDoesTheFoxSay?, Mr_House and Dead Ghost
Mr_House

Mr_House

Jul 14, 2022
(🇺🇸) Mr_House Translator at your service! 🫡

(🇯🇵) 以下はその翻訳です! 🫡

日本は他国に対してどのような感情を抱いているのでしょうか?

第二次世界大戦に負けたから、何か恥ずべきことがあるのか?現在の日本の精神衛生上の危機と関係があるのでしょうか?

日本人は歴史があり誇り高い社会で、第2次世界大戦に勝つと信じていましたから、負けたと知ったときはショックだったでしょう。それが社会的な劣等感を生んでしまったのでしょうか。

今の日本社会の集合意識には、何か深い精神的抑圧があるのではないかと、ごく限られた数のアニメを見ただけで感じざるを得ない。ヘンタイの話でもない。一人の青年が女性の体の一部に過剰に執着するシーンがあり、その思考が画面に映し出されるような大衆向けアニメのことです。そういうアニメは、まるで病んだ変態の心を満たすために作られたようなものです。暴力描写のあるアニメでも、血や血糊、暴力の描写が細かく、不気味に感じることがある。

そう思う理由のひとつは、2つの事柄について読んだときです。

1つ目は、第2次世界大戦中の中国・南京での大虐殺と集団レイプです。第二次世界大戦中の出来事ですが、どんな病的な変態の軍隊が、敵国で兵士に集団レイプや身体切除、女性や子供の虐殺をさせるのか、私には想像がつきません。合理的な精神を無視するものだ。第二次世界大戦中の日本には、このような極悪非道なことを許すような悪魔が政府や軍隊にいたのだろうか。

第二に、全世界で最も気になる性的暴行と殺人の事件の一つが、古田順子の恐ろしい強姦、拷問、殺人である。どんな悪魔のような恐ろしい人間が、人にこのような怪しげな行為をするのでしょうか?

日本文化の明るい部分を論じていたのに、暗い話に持っていくのは申し訳ないのですが、そもそもこのような投稿をしたのはこのためなのです。このような残虐な行為が平然と行われる日本社会のどこが悪いのか、問いただしたかったのです。

ありがとうございました。
Your question is a serious subject, so it will take time to answer.
I'm in the process of translating so that there are no discrepancies as much as possible,
so please give me some time.

• Hugs
  • Yay!
Reactions: Neneko Izumozaki and Dead Ghost
Neneko Izumozaki

Neneko Izumozaki

Aug 18, 2022

Thank you.
I'm sorry to keep you waiting. Let's get started.

>>What is Japan's feeling towards other countries?

I think the answer to this varies greatly from person to person.
Generally speaking, many Japanese people are not very interested in their own country or other countries.
However, we are strongly influenced by Western European culture, including the United States,
so I think we have a sense of affinity with those countries.

Ah... Come to think of it, I think many of the younger generation are aware of China.
One of the most popular games in Japan right now is Genshin Impact.
This is produced by the Chinese game company miHoYo,
so many of the younger generation are paying attention to China's capital and technological capabilities.

>>Is there some kind of shame because Japan lost WW2 ? ,...............
............, Has that created a sense of inferiority complex in the society?

The group that was shocked by Japan's defeat in WW2 is mainly people over the age of 80.
This is because this age group is the ones who were truly convinced that Japan would win WW2.
I think that people below that age have little sense of the fact that Japan lost the war.
It was 77 years ago that Japan was defeated in WW2,
so not many people know what was going on at that time.
As for people in their teens and twenties today, I don't think
they feel even the slightest bit of inferiority complex about losing the war 77 years ago
The younger generation has little interest in their country's history.

>>I can't help but get the feeling based solely on the very limited number of anime
that I've seen that there's some kind of deep mental repression
in the collective consciousness of current Japanese society.

I don't know much about anime,
so I can only imagine which anime you saw and felt that way.
For example, "Serial experiments lain" or "Elfen Lied"?

First of all, I don't think there is a direct relationship between those extreme anime and Japan's defeat.

I remember that many of those extreme anime were made in the 1990s.
There is a reason for this: the 1990s was the time when Japan's bubble economy burst and Japan's decline began.
Many companies went bankrupt, many people lost their jobs, and many people committed suicide.
Murders have also increased.
Many political corruptions that had been hidden until then came to light.
The anime industry at that time was greatly influenced by those social conditions.

Until then, the anime industry had often made works with happy endings.
But when the social situation became unstable and many tragedies were reported every day, they changed course.
The animation company thought that just creating a gentle story was not enough.
The anime industry tried to reflect the bleak and gloomy reality in anime.
The number of people has increased who want to make a work that ends with a bad ending.

For example, when you're really depressed, you don't want to listen to cheerful music.
In such a situation, you should prefer to listen to sad music.
For the same reason, nerds in the 1990s wanted dark works.
They wanted an anime that would capture their tragic reality.
It was simply a matter of supply and demand.

>>One of the reasons I think this is when I read about two things...

Firstly,

Regarding the many atrocities perpetrated by the Japanese military during WW2,
I don't think wartime atrocities are unique to Japan.
In any region, people can be infinitely cruel under the right conditions.
With the approval of the state and the law permitting,
a person can commit any kind of atrocity against another person.
If you look back at history, these state-sanctioned atrocities have happened everywhere in the world.

The Holocaust that the Nazis carried out against the Jews,
The Mỹ Lai massacr committed by the U.S. military during the Vietnam War.
The Rwandan genocide in Rwanda, Africa, and the Cambodian genocide, ...etc.

Atrocities committed by state power have no borders.
In any age, in any region, if the conditions are right, people can become demons.

That's the only reason.

Secondly,
The murder of Junko Furuta after being brutally tortured shook Japanese society at the time.
I think one of the things that made things worse was peer pressure.
The criminal group consisted of four people.
Including the parents of the perpetrator who confined the victim, six people are involved in this case.
As I mentioned earlier, people can become demons if the conditions are right.
One of the conditions is peer pressure.
This incident was caused by a natural born killer and villains who gave in to peer pressure.
This is a cruel incident, but there are countless similar cases around the world.

Consider the origins of war.
It is the product of national-scale peer pressure.

• Informative
  • Yay!
Reactions: WhatDoesTheFoxSay?, Install-Gentoo, rationaltake and 3 others
Painless_end

Painless_end

Oct 11, 2019
I'm sorry to keep you waiting. Let's get started.

>>What is Japan's feeling towards other countries?

I think the answer to this varies greatly from person to person.
Generally speaking, many Japanese people are not very interested in their own country or other countries.
However, we are strongly influenced by Western European culture, including the United States,
so I think we have a sense of affinity with those countries.

Ah... Come to think of it, I think many of the younger generation are aware of China.
One of the most popular games in Japan right now is Genshin Impact.
This is produced by the Chinese game company miHoYo,
so many of the younger generation are paying attention to China's capital and technological capabilities.

>>Is there some kind of shame because Japan lost WW2 ? ,...............
............, Has that created a sense of inferiority complex in the society?

The group that was shocked by Japan's defeat in WW2 is mainly people over the age of 80.
This is because this age group is the ones who were truly convinced that Japan would win WW2.
I think that people below that age have little sense of the fact that Japan lost the war.
It was 77 years ago that Japan was defeated in WW2,
so not many people know what was going on at that time.
As for people in their teens and twenties today, I don't think
they feel even the slightest bit of inferiority complex about losing the war 77 years ago
The younger generation has little interest in their country's history.

>>I can't help but get the feeling based solely on the very limited number of anime
that I've seen that there's some kind of deep mental repression
in the collective consciousness of current Japanese society.

I don't know much about anime,
so I can only imagine which anime you saw and felt that way.
For example, "Serial experiments lain" or "Elfen Lied"?

First of all, I don't think there is a direct relationship between those extreme anime and Japan's defeat.

I remember that many of those extreme anime were made in the 1990s.
There is a reason for this: the 1990s was the time when Japan's bubble economy burst and Japan's decline began.
Many companies went bankrupt, many people lost their jobs, and many people committed suicide.
Murders have also increased.
Many political corruptions that had been hidden until then came to light.
The anime industry at that time was greatly influenced by those social conditions.

Until then, the anime industry had often made works with happy endings.
But when the social situation became unstable and many tragedies were reported every day, they changed course.
The animation company thought that just creating a gentle story was not enough.
The anime industry tried to reflect the bleak and gloomy reality in anime.
The number of people has increased who want to make a work that ends with a bad ending.

For example, when you're really depressed, you don't want to listen to cheerful music.
In such a situation, you should prefer to listen to sad music.
For the same reason, nerds in the 1990s wanted dark works.
They wanted an anime that would capture their tragic reality.
It was simply a matter of supply and demand.

>>One of the reasons I think this is when I read about two things...

Firstly,

Regarding the many atrocities perpetrated by the Japanese military during WW2,
I don't think wartime atrocities are unique to Japan.
In any region, people can be infinitely cruel under the right conditions.
With the approval of the state and the law permitting,
a person can commit any kind of atrocity against another person.
If you look back at history, these state-sanctioned atrocities have happened everywhere in the world.

The Holocaust that the Nazis carried out against the Jews,
The Mỹ Lai massacr committed by the U.S. military during the Vietnam War.
The Rwandan genocide in Rwanda, Africa, and the Cambodian genocide, ...etc.

Atrocities committed by state power have no borders.
In any age, in any region, if the conditions are right, people can become demons.

That's the only reason.

Secondly,
The murder of Junko Furuta after being brutally tortured shook Japanese society at the time.
I think one of the things that made things worse was peer pressure.
The criminal group consisted of four people.
Including the parents of the perpetrator who confined the victim, six people are involved in this case.
As I mentioned earlier, people can become demons if the conditions are right.
One of the conditions is peer pressure.
This incident was caused by a natural born killer and villains who gave in to peer pressure.
This is a cruel incident, but there are countless similar cases around the world.

Consider the origins of war.
It is the product of national-scale peer pressure.
Thank you very much for such a informative and detailed and balanced answer considering all sides. I agree, wartime atrocities can happen at any place if the conditions are right. So one cannot single out Japan because many other countries and armies have committed wartime massacres and war crimes.

I am in awe of how detailed and well-presented your replies are giving all the necessary information to my curiosity.

If I think of any further questions, I will certainly mention in comments below.

Once again, thank you very much for your time and information.

"どうもありがとうございました @Neneko Izumozaki "

• Hugs
Reactions: WhatDoesTheFoxSay?, Neneko Izumozaki, Dead Ghost and 1 other person
Emmie

Emmie

Oct 19, 2021
Is 100,000 suicides per year just your personal opinion? What evidence do you have for this? Very sad if true! Thank you for all your interesting replies in this thread.

There's a book in English about Japanese people who disappear and take on a new identity to escape debt and loan collectors. It's called "The Vanished: The Evaporated People of Japan in Stories and Photographs." It was very sad and interesting.

• Hugs
Mr_House

Mr_House

Jul 14, 2022
年間10万人の自殺者は、あなたの個人的な意見に過ぎないのですか?どんな根拠があるのですか? もし本当なら、とても悲しいことです。 このスレッドでは、たくさんの興味深い返信をありがとうございました。

借金やローンの取り立てから逃れるために、姿を消して新しい身分になる日本人についての英語の本があるんだ。その名も「The Vanished」。"The Evaporated People of Japan in Stories and Photographs "という本です。とても悲しく、興味深い内容でした。

(🇺🇸/🇬🇧) Another Question Translation

(🇯🇵) もう一つの質問 翻訳

• Hugs
Reactions: Neneko Izumozaki and Dead Ghost