torturedbylife

torturedbylife

Enemy of the world
May 2, 2020
Pretty sure there are few to none Romanians on here because it's a religious and conservative country where most people appreciate life no matter what even if they're in direct misery ''g0d LoVes EvErYoNe''. But I still wanted to give it a try. I also mentioned the Balkans cause I'm really interested in this area of Europe.

SpareWheel

SpareWheel

I go on holidays by mistake
May 4, 2020
I'm sure there'll be at least another one, even if they're ex-pats living elsewhere in the EU (there's a large Romanian community in my English city for example) .

Your English is excellent btw. Makes me ashamed, I know people born and bred here much, much worse.

Reactions: torturedbylife
torturedbylife

torturedbylife

Enemy of the world
May 2, 2020
Eh, I still have lots to practice. Tenses are a nightmare for me. Prepositions too. I have no idea how I became fluent in it. Probably from games and talking with people online.

SpareWheel

SpareWheel

May 4, 2020
Don't fret grammar too much, as long as you're coherent and legible, which you are. A bloke I watch on YouTube that's fluent in Russian (Bald and bankrupt is the channel, he goes to random weird places nobody else will) said that once he stopped worrying about the complexities of Russian, he picked it up far quicker. While watching his channel even I've picked up a bit of Russian, especially written despite the cyrillic alphabet, and I'm a dunce so there's hope for anyone lol.

I did 5 years of German at school, twice a week for 5 bloody years, and I still couldn't have a conversation with a German unless it was very basic and involved asking where to buy beer, or how big his testicles were (I remember all the swear words strangely). I probably know more Russian from 6 months of watching a bald guy getting local babushkas pissed on cheap vodka than a school education ever gave me.

torturedbylife

torturedbylife

Enemy of the world
May 2, 2020
Don't fret grammar too much, as long as you're coherent and legible, which you are. A bloke I watch on YouTube that's fluent in Russian (Bald and bankrupt is the channel, he goes to random weird places nobody else will) said that once he stopped worrying about the complexities of Russian, he picked it up far quicker. While watching his channel even I've picked up a bit of Russian, especially written despite the cyrillic alphabet, and I'm a dunce so there's hope for anyone lol.

I did 5 years of German at school, twice a week for 5 bloody years, and I still couldn't have a conversation with a German unless it was very basic and involved asking where to buy beer, or how big his testicles were (I remember all the swear words strangely). I probably know more Russian from 6 months of watching a bald guy getting local babushkas pissed on cheap vodka than a school education ever gave me.
Ah I've been learning Russian for some months and I'm really struggling with grammar and I can't say much in that language yet. I think it's because I can't memorize much anymore. Cyrillic alphabet was easy to learn tho. my *golden* years passed unfortunately. Wish I would have learnt Russian earlier.

I'm studying French at school for years and I can only partially understand it. It's not that I like the language either. Wish there were more options.

SpareWheel

SpareWheel

May 4, 2020
Yeah I have real memory issues too, part of aging sadly, I wish I'd been more proactive when younger to really expand my mind and soak up new cultures. I watch Balds adventures as it's the kind of thing I've always wanted to do but never had the balls at some points or the money at others. Video games have helped me pick up various languages to different extents, whether it's playing them or making mates from elsewhere. I had a Dutch mate constantly feeding me bits of Dutch for years despite him being completely fluent in English, he even sounded English lol, I couldn't even laugh at him for sounding like Goldmember. He looked like Kratos though, big massive bald guy with a beard so I had at least one thing to banter with him over.

I think similarly to your comment, I didn't pick up on German as I didn't like the language, I'd have chosen Spanish but didn't get the chance as my school dropped it from the curriculum the year before I started. I can't roll my Rs though so I'd have had trouble.

torturedbylife

torturedbylife

Enemy of the world
May 2, 2020
Hah, games helped me with that as well. During my teenage years I used to play a game with many Turks in it and it really helped with my Turkish. I learnt Turkish easier than any other language I pursued because of this and because of Turkish series mainly. Though I mostly learnt swear words from the Turks in that game xD.
It's incredible how much games help with language learning.

SpareWheel

SpareWheel

May 4, 2020
Hah, games helped me with that as well. During my teenage years I used to play a game with many Turks in it and it really helped with my Turkish. I learnt Turkish easier than any other language I pursued because of this and because of Turkish series mainly. Though I mostly learnt swear words from the Turks in that game xD.
It's incredible how much games help with language learning.
Yep, especially given how some backwards thinkers proclaim gaming to be a negative hobby. They can improve people's motor skills, language skills, world knowledge, historic knowledge, social skills, lateral thinking capacity and many other things.

But it still won't stop them blaming GTA for mass shootings.

torturedbylife

torturedbylife

Enemy of the world
May 2, 2020
Yep, especially given how some backwards thinkers proclaim gaming to be a negative hobby. They can improve people's motor skills, language skills, world knowledge, historic knowledge, social skills, lateral thinking capacity and many other things.

But it still won't stop them blaming GTA for mass shootings.
Yeah it's disgusting. Some think video games are simply childish which is completely false. Most humans like to blame the serious things that happen on trivial things without ever thinking about it.

SpareWheel

SpareWheel

May 4, 2020
Yeah it's disgusting. Some think video games are simply childish which is completely false. Most humans like to blame the serious things that happen on trivial things without ever thinking about it.
Those people should play Bloodborne. See how they feel about games when they've gotten over a very loose narrative that relies on the intelligence and comprehension of the player to weave together the lore in such a way the story becomes clear. See how they feel when they've lost over and over and over until they've finally learnt to adapt, improve and overcome the challenges and eventually win - that's a good trait to have in life and if games can help you with that, it can only be a positive.
See if they cry at certain emotional parts, and if they think such empathic reactions to very adult situations are childish.

That's one of 1,000s of games children shouldn't really be playing that blow the "games are childish" mantra out the water. I've played games based on death, suicide, bereavement, madness, guilt, depression, disability - most of which were very successful like Everyone's gone to the rapture, What remains of Edith Finch, Spec Ops, Brothers. All of which left an impression on me. None of which would be enjoyed by many kids, and they certainly wouldn't get a lot of the underlying themes or nuances in them.

Of course when Fortnite becomes so massive, it doesn't help. They see that and their opinion only solidifies. Narrow minded people always need an outlet to pin the blame on though, it's above their level of thinking to see each and every tragedy or event as a separate enitiy, one that could have 100s of unique variants that lead up up to it. So much easier to blame games for violence, or immigrants for the lack of jobs where they live, or Amazon for shops closing etc etc etc without ever seeing the bigger picture.

torturedbylife

torturedbylife

Enemy of the world
May 2, 2020
Let's not forget that those same people follow the media no matter what. So, if someone at TV says that ''games bad cus shootings'' then that's what most will believe without thinking or doing any research. Mass-media is the new religion.

SpareWheel

SpareWheel

May 4, 2020
Haha, yeah that's true sadly. The amount of drivel my mates believe cos they've seen a semi-professional video or report on Facebook about it genuinely scares me. There's no sourcing or researching now, one soundbite can go viral and then everyone's drinking disinfectant.