T

ThatStateOfMind

Enlightened
Nov 13, 2021
I have a journal, have had one for a while, mostly began to utilize it after a breakup.

That's neither here nor there. I wanna know how many of you guys use a journal. Also, of those who do, how do you be more consistent in writing in it? I write in mine once or twice a month and forget about it. I also just randomly doodle in it. I treat it as an outlet for anything which comes to mind but I hate writing because it makes my hand cramp.

Just basically curious though, does anyone journal?

Reactions: AllCatsAreGrey, Mauve87, Praestat_Mori and 2 others
TransilvanianHunger

TransilvanianHunger

Grave with a view...
Jan 22, 2023
I do, but I'm not particularly consistent. I've been trying to make it a habit, but I find it easier to just talk myself through things out loud instead of writing things down. Between talking to myself and talking to my analyst every week, I rarely feel like there's anything I need to write about. Kind of odd, because when I was younger I used to write quite a bit.

snowcloud9

snowcloud9

I’m Cold
Sep 9, 2023
Yes. I used to type out my journal entries, but I realized that those things were not private. Since digital footprint exists and since social media moderators kept sending me automated suicide hotline phone numbers. Now I have all my suicide notes and plans written in my journal.

It is also easy to transfer. I am going to entrust my journal to my friend after I die, so that he can ensure the notes get to their intended recipients.

T

ThatStateOfMind

Enlightened
Nov 13, 2021
Yes. I used to type out my journal entries, but I realized that those things were not private. Since digital footprint exists and since social media moderators kept sending me automated suicide hotline phone numbers. Now I have all my suicide notes and plans written in my journal.

It is also easy to transfer. I am going to entrust my journal to my friend after I die, so that he can ensure the notes get to their intended recipients.
That's actually why I don't type them. I'm afraid of digital footprint.
I do, but I'm not particularly consistent. I've been trying to make it a habit, but I find it easier to just talk myself through things out loud instead of writing things down. Between talking to myself and talking to my analyst every week, I rarely feel like there's anything I need to write about. Kind of odd, because when I was younger I used to write quite a bit.
I'm the same way, I am not very consistent. I don't talk to myself, rather I just think a lot. I don't talk to anyone either. Kinda just me myself and I

• Love
Reactions: TransilvanianHunger
aitouka

aitouka

calm
Apr 5, 2023
Yeah I do and it does help. But a year ago I got really anxious about it because I see all those aesthetic journals on the internet and mine is just. Ugly. Plain. Kept trying to make it prettier and ended up giving up. So yeah. I'm trying to start journaling again, and to focus more on myself rather than the aesthetic. I'm not going to show it to anyone on the internet anyways.

• Love
Reactions: TransilvanianHunger and Harrow
Harrow

Harrow

Aug 20, 2023
Yes I do, I'm not consistent at all though. I only use it on my absolute worst days and I swear one day I'm going to have to burn it so no one can read it lol

But I don't just write, I tape things in it and I draw. As long as it's helping you get out your emotions then it's doing it's job.

Reactions: Mauve87
TransilvanianHunger

TransilvanianHunger

Grave with a view...
Jan 22, 2023
I'm trying to start journaling again, and to focus more on myself rather than the aesthetic.
That is the actual point of journaling. Things you see online are not meant to be useful, they're meant to look pretty. The essence of a journal is your own essence. My own journal is a plain black hard cover notebook, nothing fancy. Because journaling (when I actually sit down and do it) is something I do for myself, not for a bunch of Internet strangers. Do it for yourself.

• Love
Reactions: BojackHorseman and aitouka
brownbear

brownbear

Aug 27, 2023
ive been journaling for the past year or so, its become a part of my life. You just gotta stay consistent with the entrys in the first few months, the rest will come to you naturally. Journaling has been extremely beneficial to me, i just hope no one will read them (even after i ctb)

snowcloud9

snowcloud9

I’m Cold
Sep 9, 2023
That is the actual point of journaling. Things you see online are not meant to be useful, they're meant to look pretty. The essence of a journal is your own essence. My own journal is a plain black hard cover notebook, nothing fancy. Because journaling (when I actually sit down and do it) is something I do for myself, not for a bunch of Internet strangers. Do it for yourself.
I was really careful with what journal I chose! My personality is really hyperfeminine, so I wanted someone that reflected that so that I would see my journal as "me." Now I own a journal with a flower cover that has a gold trim and pink pages ☺️

• Love
Reactions: AllCatsAreGrey and TransilvanianHunger
T

ThatStateOfMind

Enlightened
Nov 13, 2021
Yeah I do and it does help. But a year ago I got really anxious about it because I see all those aesthetic journals on the internet and mine is just. Ugly. Plain. Kept trying to make it prettier and ended up giving up. So yeah. I'm trying to start journaling again, and to focus more on myself rather than the aesthetic. I'm not going to show it to anyone on the internet anyways.
Mines nothing special tbh, it's simply a little black book. I like it being inconspicuous and I just keep it in a drawer. Maybe I should do a little art on the front haha
Yes I do, I'm not consistent at all though. I only use it on my absolute worst days and I swear one day I'm going to have to burn it so no one can read it lol

But I don't just write, I tape things in it and I draw. As long as it's helping you get out your emotions then it's doing its job.
This is me, I either write on really amazing days, or absolutely horrible days. And that's interesting, simply taping and drawing. I prefer writing out my emotions.
I agree. My book is the exact same, small, black, hardcover I bought online for $10.
ive been journaling for the past year or so, its become a part of my life. You just gotta stay consistent with the entrys in the first few months, the rest will come to you naturally. Journaling has been extremely beneficial to me, i just hope no one will read them (even after i ctb)
I currently have no plans to CTB so I just safeguard my journal, and keep it hidden. Only my mom knows about it, but she doesn't know where I keep it.
I was really careful with what journal I chose! My personality is really hyperfeminine, so I wanted someone that reflected that so that I would see my journal as "me." Now I own a journal with a flower cover that has a gold trim and pink pages ☺️
That's cool! I'm glad you got a journal that is representative of your personality :)

• Love
Reactions: snowcloud9 and Harrow
woh6

woh6

Student
May 13, 2023
I had multiple journals, I used them when I felt bad/needed an outlet. I stopped for a while but then also started again after my first break up. I wrote some really messy and personal stuff in there. I found out my mom had been periodically reading it and sharing it with other people though. SUCH an invasion of privacy and I felt so horrible I burned it while I was screaming at her on the phone. Since then I haven't ever used one again haha

• Hugs
Reactions: AllCatsAreGrey, ThatStateOfMind and snowcloud9
T

ThatStateOfMind

Enlightened
Nov 13, 2021
I had multiple journals, I used them when I felt bad/needed an outlet. I stopped for a while but then also started again after my first break up. I wrote some really messy and personal stuff in there. I found out my mom had been periodically reading it and sharing it with other people though. SUCH an invasion of privacy and I felt so horrible I burned it while I was screaming at her on the phone. Since then I haven't ever used one again haha
Oh my god that's terrible. My mom doesn't know where mine is but if she found it, I know for a fact she wouldn't read it. She generally respects my privacy and she's great, main reason I'm still around today tbh.

I can't imagine someone invading my privacy like that and I'm so sorry that happened to you.

• Hugs
Reactions: woh6
snowcloud9

snowcloud9

I’m Cold
Sep 9, 2023
That's so gross. I wish parents understood that privacy is a basic human right.

• Hugs
Reactions: woh6 and ThatStateOfMind
RosySunsets

RosySunsets

Oct 24, 2023
I do but I'm not very consistent. Normally I manage to do it for a few days and then I start forgetting, but it kinda helps when I need to write down all my negative emotions. Or sometimes when I'm losing grip with reality, I list things that make me happy, or small things that happened that day that didn't feel too bad, like today a cute dog came up to me.
That's awful. What a terrible thing to do, especially since it was your parent. My older sibling did the same thing the first time I started journalling and writing some (pretty edgy) poetry. It was really humiliating.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: AllCatsAreGrey
T

ThatStateOfMind

Enlightened
Nov 13, 2021
I do but I'm not very consistent. Normally I manage to do it for a few days and then I start forgetting, but it kinda helps when I need to write down all my negative emotions. Or sometimes when I'm losing grip with reality, I list things that make me happy, or small things that happened that day that didn't feel too bad, like today a cute dog came up to me.
That's pretty much how I am. I am not consistent and more so use it when I need it. I don't ever really read it but I don't remember writing anything positive in there, it's pretty much an outlet for negative things but I guess I should start writing some positive things lol.

Also that's good that a cute dog approached you, all that's happened to me animal-wise is my cat laid on my lap

AllCatsAreGrey

AllCatsAreGrey

they/he
Sep 27, 2023
Just basically curious though, does anyone journal?

I've been journaling off and on for years. I really enjoy it. My style of journaling has shifted a lot over time. I currently have three journals for different styles and purposes. I find them very grounding and they help to have a stronger sense of continuity in my life.

SUCH an invasion of privacy

Wow! I'm so sorry that happened. That's so disrespectful. It's understandable that it would be hard to feel comfortable journaling again.

Or sometimes when I'm losing grip with reality, I list things that make me happy, or small things that happened that day that didn't feel too bad, like today a cute dog came up to me.

This is something I've been incorporating more in my journal. A use a week spread that has a grid for six things: things I learned, things I accomplished, memorable moments, things I'm grateful for, stuff I'm looking forward to, and goals for next week.

Sometimes I really can't think of things for some categories (or anything positive at all), but having them there has been helpful to get me to think of what I'd write during the day.

• Love
Reactions: RosySunsets
RosySunsets

RosySunsets

Oct 24, 2023
That's pretty much how I am. I am not consistent and more so use it when I need it. I don't ever really read it but I don't remember writing anything positive in there, it's pretty much an outlet for negative things but I guess I should start writing some positive things lol.

Also that's good that a cute dog approached you, all that's happened to me animal-wise is my cat laid on my lap
Some people have two journals, one for positive things and one for negative but that's like twice the work and I can't even keep up with one but maybe after writing all the negative things down, try to write down at least one thing that happened during your day that wasn't completely shitty, or maybe just something you like, like a song that you're currently playing a lot (that's something I write about quite often).

Ahhhh I love cats, that's so cute!! Kinda wish I had a cat now. Also yeah, I never go back to any of my previous entries. I find it too cringe rereading it.

moondazed

moondazed

ex nihilo nihil fit
Oct 14, 2023
I love journaling. Sometimes I do it daily for a stretch, but mostly its every few weeks or months I write something or draw and doodle. I have about 10 filled from the last 15 years its always a trip to go back and read something you wrote 10 years ago