Kramer

Kramer

Nervous wreck
Oct 27, 2020
A lot of unnecessary suffering is caused by being told that if you want to be a good person you have to care about strangers. The act of caring should extend mainly to friends, family and some acquaintances. Caring about a terrorist attack in the Middle East or a natural disaster like Katrina is a waste of energy and causes one to experience negative emotions that lead nowhere.

• Love
Reactions: Ber0, lost_soul83 and Antigonish
Antigonish

Antigonish

Mage
Sep 19, 2020
Caring about people I dont know who live down the street is detrimental.

M

Miss_Takes

Somewhere Over the Rainbow
Dec 4, 2020
I actually think caring about people is a natural normal amd healthy part of the human journey.
I do however believe that genuine caring is, sadly, uncommon and in recent times the perception of being empathetic has replaced actually caring (with appropriate boundaries and reactions).
Empathy in itself is healthy ... using the distress of others to either avoid ones own or as a means to appear 'kind' 'good' 'acceptable' without actually taking any steps to improve the lives of others is not caring.
Empathy doesnt require any action beyond feeling ... caring requires action.

Reactions: Fragile, KuriGohan&Kamehameha, Good4Nothing and 1 other person
L

lost_soul83

Wizard
Jan 7, 2019
I actually think caring about people is a natural normal amd healthy part of the human journey.
I do however believe that genuine caring is, sadly, uncommon and in recent times the perception of being empathetic has replaced actually caring (with appropriate boundaries and reactions).
Empathy in itself is healthy ... using the distress of others to either avoid ones own or as a means to appear 'kind' 'good' 'acceptable' without actually taking any steps to improve the lives of others is not caring.
While I totally agree with what you're saying, being an empath is a completely draining, exhausting experience that often causes unnecessary pain and suffering that that person has no control over. This is of course when you're around people that are themselves experiencing negative emotions that you feel yourself. I for instance, can look at my husband's face or simply observe his body language and I can feel how he's feeling. And these days, all I feel is depression, anger, guilt, frustration, etc. it's a total nightmare! This is a big part of why I want to ctb.

• Hugs
Reactions: KuriGohan&Kamehameha, Midnight-rain, Miss_Takes and 1 other person

Cluesome
Apr 5, 2018
Yup. Energy is limited so priorities about how to spend it should be established if one wishes to maximize personal well-being. To me that also means to optimize the energy invested into other SS members since there are so many of us at this point.

M

Miss_Takes

Somewhere Over the Rainbow
Dec 4, 2020
I accept that the empath experience is at the more extreme end of a continuum that we are all on and that the experience can be exhausting and overwhelming in the negative. I apologise if I appeared to be criticising 'empathy' .. that was not my intention. I do believe however that the feeling experience of empathy is different to the action required of caring. And sadly the expression of 'empathy' is often misinterpreted as 'caring'.
Sadly, in my opinion, caring is lacking greatly in this world.

Reactions: Good4Nothing
D

Deleted member 24006

Nov 20, 2020
I often find that caring about people that are in my immediate network is also a waste ......

Reactions: 262653 and 140 bpm
Ber0

Ber0

Quiet
Dec 27, 2020
Like actually caring. taking action and making changes are good. But only if it's realistic or if the person can afford to, monetarily and emotionally/physically. I get extremely upset when people are like "oh wow look at the news, don't you care?". I can't care. I can feel for those people, and imagine how they may have felt and acknowledge how terrible things are. But I don't know how caring is going to help. Like you said about an attack in the Middle East. Like of course it's terrible, I'll probably see it and cry to myself much later. But I can't catch a flight, go over, help physically heal the people, give all my money to the families. Most people when they do that or ask if you "care". Really just don't want to be alone in their emotions over events like that. "Oh my god no that's terrible I can't believe someone would do that". And suddenly they feel better that they're not alone in suffering. Hopefully not misquote this or to put the words into a different context. But the sentence of
I think is a good example of the situation above. Sometimes people are very empathetic and need to not be alone when they see stuff like that. And I get that people need that but sometimes it doesn't make sense to "care" in that definition. The disconnect is that most people don't associate "caring" with requiring action. They think "caring and empathy" are the same. And IMO, they're not. I believe more strongly in the thinking that Miss_Takes provided. It's better in some situations to empathize or ignore it, being expected to care about something outside of one's control just doesn't make sense. Honestly I've just seen so much, maybe I'm desensitized to it. Like there's a reason I don't watch the news or anything anymore. I'm already not doing well, I don't need to know about every horrible event that happens each day in the world. So yeah overburdening yourself with issues out of your control that you can't properly "care" for is a massive detriment to oneself. However something much smaller and local, like if you see a stranger fall over, or maybe can't afford a cup of coffee or something, maybe even going as far as to give someone a free meal or something then yeah sure go for it. I think family will always naturally come first for me at least, but the other thing is that you'll probably never get close enough if they're a "stranger" to know what they really need. Like someone on the street might not need more money or another meal, but rather affordable housing, a job, proper healthcare. And at the end of the day, often times, we as singular person with problems of our own, can't afford to fix someone's entire life, whether it's because of finances, energy, or other problems, but can rather only offer empathy and try to comfort others.