A

alfie

Experienced
Dec 5, 2018
Hi,

Unfortunately, I feel very unhappy and lonely in my marriage... Do any other married or otherwise attached people feel the same way?

• Hugs
Reactions: AvaAdore, Apathy's Girl, Supersadmommy90 and 7 others
Linda

Linda

Jul 30, 2020
Hi,

Unfortunately, I feel very unhappy and lonely in my marriage... Do any other married or otherwise attached people feel the same way?
At present no. My marriage is, and always has been happy. But before I met my husband I was together with someone for 3 years, and in the latter part of that relationship I did feel very lonely. It is definitely possible to feel lonely in a long-term relationship. In fact I think it is probably fairly common. It may mean that you and your wife are just not compatible, in which case a divorce might be your best option, or it may be a result of some temporary problem that can be fixed. I would suggest that you seek advice from a professional relationship counselor.

Reactions: AvaAdore, Meditation guide and alfie
L

Living_Hurts_so_Much

Experienced
Jul 30, 2020
Hi,

It's strange but true. I feel alone because I cannot talk about how I feel. I mean really feel with anyone or I'll just end up in the psych ward.

• Hugs
Reactions: AvaAdore, Meditation guide and alfie
EraseRewind

EraseRewind

Circling the drain
May 13, 2020
I'm married to a fantastic woman who has stuck with me through all my problems and craziness. I can speak to her about anything, but of course because of my mental conditions, I can still feel lonely on occasion but because she is here it passes. In reality if she wasn't here I believe I wouldn't be alive, I will always be grateful for her love and understanding.

• Love
  • Hugs
Reactions: Dr Iron Arc, AvaAdore, Øystein and 7 others
Deleted member 18655

Deleted member 18655

Enlightened
Jun 4, 2020
I was married. We had an idealic week after the wedding and then it all went downhill. It was a lonely four years. I'm an introvert and prefer being alone but when you feel alone while living with someone who used to be loving and affectionate is a whole other feeling. I wouldn't wish it on anyone. :aw::hug:

• Hugs
  • Aww..
Reactions: AvaAdore, less than, Meditation guide and 3 others
Linda

Linda

Jul 30, 2020
It's strange but true. I feel alone because I cannot talk about how I feel. I mean really feel with anyone or I'll just end up in the psych ward.
However you feel, you won't be the first person on the planet to have felt like that. You are probably a lot more "normal" than you imagine.

You could try talking with people here. I don't think anyone here is a professional therapist, so you wouldn't get "professional" help, but on the other hand nobody would throw you in a psych ward either. Most of us have been in some dark places at one time or another, so may have some understanding of where you are coming from, whether or not we can do much to help.

If there anything you want to say that it would be imprudent to say in the ordinary posts, you can always PM someone.

• Hugs
Reactions: AvaAdore, alfie and Living_Hurts_so_Much
L

Lost

Apr 18, 2018
Yes, I know how you feel. I can't say nothing either without my husband thinking I am crazy. He thinks people thinking about CTB are just thinking about themself and crazy. So I keep quiet

• Aww..
  • Wow
  • Hugs
Reactions: AvaAdore, Meditation guide, alfie and 2 others
I

ITryHard

Jul 30, 2020
I was married yet lonely so I know the feeling. Now I'm divorced and I would give anything to be MBL again. Just having someone along for the ride makes such a difference. It's really hard going at this alone with all my mental issues, and frankly is one of the main reasons why I want to CTB.

• Aww..
  • Hugs
Reactions: Meditation guide, Rocket1Rocket1, Lost and 5 others
A

alfie

Experienced
Dec 5, 2018
I was married. We had an idealic week after the wedding and then it all went downhill. It was a lonely four years. I'm an introvert and prefer being alone but when you feel alone while living with someone who used to be loving and affectionate is a whole other feeling. I wouldn't wish it on anyone. :aw::hug:
How would you cope? Would you seek out companionship?

Deleted member 18655

Deleted member 18655

Enlightened
Jun 4, 2020
How would you cope? Would you seek out companionship?
I'm sorry you're going through this. I know how it can crush a soul.

The most traumatic thing for me (literally, it traumatised me) was how fast it all changed - from deep love to indifference. I knew it was over pretty much right after the honeymoon. I became severely anorexic, withdrawn, depressed, etc. until I asked my doctor for ECT treatments. They were a great success and then I told him I was leaving. I'm a natural introvert so I didn't seek out anyone (he, on the other hand, had a few women on the go). We didn't have kids so it was a very easy decision for me to make. If I were in that situation now, I would have changed everything starting from week one. I would ask questions, express myself, discuss, argue (we never had one fight which should have been a huge red flag!). I only had the strength to give him an ultimatum of me or the other girls (which he rejected) after four years. Looking back, I should have found a counsellor or friend or some kind of professional to have in my life to tell me that I was actually in a hell. But we were pretty isolated from everyone so I was on my own. Next to a friend (which I didn't have), I would say that some sort of counsellor would be vital - to bounce ideas off of, to see you through it all emotionally and to give advice.

• Hugs
  • Love
Reactions: AvaAdore, XYZ, Meditation guide and 1 other person
Meditation guide

Meditation guide

Always was, is, and always shall be.
Jun 22, 2020
I'm sorry you're going through this. I know how it can crush a soul.

The most traumatic thing for me (literally, it traumatised me) was how fast it all changed - from deep love to indifference. I knew it was over pretty much right after the honeymoon. I became severely anorexic, withdrawn, depressed, etc. until I asked my doctor for ECT treatments. They were a great success and then I told him I was leaving. I'm a natural introvert so I didn't seek out anyone (he, on the other hand, had a few women on the go). We didn't have kids so it was a very easy decision for me to make. If I were in that situation now, I would have changed everything starting from week one. I would ask questions, express myself, discuss, argue (we never had one fight which should have been a huge red flag!). I only had the strength to give him an ultimatum of me or the other girls (which he rejected) after four years. Looking back, I should have found a counsellor or friend or some kind of professional to have in my life to tell me that I was actually in a hell. But we were pretty isolated from everyone so I was on my own. Next to a friend (which I didn't have), I would say that some sort of counsellor would be vital - to bounce ideas off of, to see you through it all emotionally and to give advice.
It sounds like a typical narcissist who put on a loving act to get you, then reverted to his true self. I suggest that if you learn about these vile creatures as much as you can you can feel some relief from the ptsd you have from this. Lots of us have unfortunately gone through the same thing. A good place to do this is watching videos about covert narcissists on youtube. I recommend highly Peace and Harmony, Ross Rosenberg, and ASSN Direct which are the names of some excellent youtube channels I have learned a lot from.

I'm sorry you had to go through this.

Last edited:
Reactions: AvaAdore, Busdriver, Deleted member 18655 and 2 others
Supersadmommy90

Supersadmommy90

Student
Sep 24, 2019
My marriage is and will always be one of my biggest regrets. I've left my husband only to return to him but he won't ever change. We have young kids together and it broke their heart when we broke up. It's a big reason I went back to him, it's worse living the divorced lifestyle in my experience, since I love my children more than myself, they deserve to have an intact family even if it is imperfect.

He is a narcissist and sees nothing wrong with his behaviour, ever. He has kept his mask on for the most part since we've gotten back together, he knows he's walking on thin ice with me. Although he lets it slip occasionally and I can see he's still the same insensitive, selfish ass hole as ever. I'm sure he will let it all hang out again eventually but, ehh.... I'm in my 30s now with 3 kids and it is what it is, even if it's imperfect. I just have to ride out the consequences of my choices the way I see it. I see him bientôt who he really is rather than the person I thought he was and this has been a bitter pill. The best I can do is to focus on his good qualities and try and overlook his flaws. Changing my expectations of him to accommodate the way he actually is... I have to expect that he will behave in these ways. As long as I continue to be with him, it's to be expected.

The disappointment of my relationship alone have caused 90% of my depression and health problems.

• Hugs
Reactions: AvaAdore, alfie and Deleted member 18655
W

Wisdom3_1-9

he/him/his
Jul 19, 2020
This is very difficult for me to write, mostly because I absolutely love my husband, and admitting that I still feel lonely feels like a betrayal.

Before I proposed to him, I had actually broken up with him twice. I always ended up going back to him, though. That was a big part of the reason I proposed. No matter what difficulties got in the way, we always found our way back to each other. I always wanted to be with him, and him me. He turned his life around because he had lost me once, and I do respected that.

Shortly after getting engaged, it was like things turned around again. It almost seemed like he lost interest in me. He wasn't the same person, and he'd rather be with others. It was almost like now that he had me in his pocket, he could do whatever he really wanted to do.

I never considered ending the engagement, because I knew we'd get back together anyway. Instead, I sought the company of others. I never cheated on him sexually, but I did develop close relationships with and strong feelings for other people. It was all I could do to keep me from feeling lonely. Once those relationships became apparent to my then-fiancé, he lost trust in me, and things started getting rocky.

They've never improved. The whole situation has exploded and resulted in me losing my job (long story) and being stuck in this awful predicament. Things on the home front are no better. We've been married for two and a half years now, but at times I feel like we might as well be strangers. I grew up with a single mother, so I have no reference for happy marriages, but I doubt this can be normal.

I feel so lonely. And in order to save my marriage, I've been forced to rid my life of the people who previously helped me feel not so alone. Now I'm more alone than ever.

I feel like the problem must be me. That nothing and no one is ever enough for me. I'll always need more. I'll always feel alone, no matter how many people surround me. No way around it, perhaps. Except death.

• Aww..
  • Hugs
Reactions: XYZ, alfie and Deleted member 18655
Apathy's Girl

Apathy's Girl

Student
Jul 20, 2020
I love my husband but since we've been home together 24 hours a day for the last five months thanks to the pandemic and working from home we've grown very distant from each other and hardly talk anymore. I feel like I should be lonely because we're in the same house but almost always in different rooms except for meals (we even sleep in separate rooms now) but instead I just feel indifferent.

• Hugs
  • Aww..
Reactions: AvaAdore and alfie
A

alfie

Experienced
Dec 5, 2018
I love my husband but since we've been home together 24 hours a day for the last five months thanks to the pandemic and working from home we've grown very distant from each other and hardly talk anymore. I feel like I should be lonely because we're in the same house but almost always in different rooms except for meals (we even sleep in separate rooms now) but instead I just feel indifferent.
Why do you sleep in different rooms, if it's okay to ask?

Brick In The Wall

Brick In The Wall

2M Or Not 2B.
Oct 30, 2019
I've come to the conclusion that I feel lonely and miserable regardless of my marital or dating status.

S

Swoods

Apr 21, 2019
I am married to a wonderful woman. I have spent the last 3 years taking care of her due to major physical disabilities. All passion and happiness is long gone. I feel very lonely and wish I could find someone to be happy with. I made my vows and will not leave her for someone else. The only way out for me is to ctb. My own problems really do not help things any. So till death do us part, sounds great to me.

• Aww..
Reactions: Meditation guide
bravotess

bravotess

I'ma jump ship now before I sink slow
Aug 8, 2020
Hi,

Have you communicated your feelings to your spouse?

Apathy's Girl

Apathy's Girl

Student
Jul 20, 2020
Why do you sleep in different rooms, if it's okay to ask?
Funny it started with just going to sleep in the other room because of snoring and then just became the norm. I don't even remember the last time we had sex.