T

ThatStateOfMind

Enlightened
Nov 13, 2021
I'm looking for some people who have ADHD and are being medicated for it with either type of medication (stimulant or non-stimulant), or even possibly some form of therapy for it. Today was my first day on Vyvanse and I hate medication tbh, I just wanna know other people and possibly hear their experience with medicine.

For me, the high heart rate and low appetite isn't seeming worth it. I also feel unreasonably upset for no reason right now and I'm assuming that's a crash from the Vyvanse. If this continues, I'm supposed to call the nurses where I got the prescription at because they said mood swings is a more serious symptom. That, weight loss, and vision changes are apparently 3 things I should keep an eye out for.

Anyways, anyone else have ADHD and have dealt with ADHD meds longer than me? If so, please share what it's been like.

• Love
Reactions: Freyja13 and sserafim
sserafim

sserafim

brighter than the sun, that’s just me
Sep 13, 2023
I'm looking for some people who have ADHD and are being medicated for it with either type of medication (stimulant or non-stimulant), or even possibly some form of therapy for it. Today was my first day on Vyvanse and I hate medication tbh, I just wanna know other people and possibly hear their experience with medicine.

For me, the high heart rate and low appetite isn't seeming worth it. I also feel unreasonably upset for no reason right now and I'm assuming that's a crash from the Vyvanse. If this continues, I'm supposed to call the nurses where I got the prescription at because they said mood swings is a more serious symptom. That, weight loss, and vision changes are apparently 3 things I should keep an eye out for.

Anyways, anyone else have ADHD and have dealt with ADHD meds longer than me? If so, please share what it's been like.
How many mg are you on? Maybe the dosage is too high.

Reactions: QteStimBnnuy
QteStimBnnuy

QteStimBnnuy

Qtpuppet
Feb 9, 2023
I haven't officially been on them, but I've taken some non prescribed to self medicate. Not tried vyvanse yet, did take ritalin. Fun thing about meds is that a lower dosage can have more side effects than a higher dosage. Higher dosage can be worse and lower good for others, though in some cases people will change stimulant entirely if it doesn't work out. You know you've found the right one when you don't have much or any noticeable side effects n just feel more normal. E.g; ritalin 10mg was horrible for my heart and felt really uncomfortable, but 20mg was significantly better. 30mg potentially had the entire feel disappear, however it was instant release. From that point I figured out short releases will not do for me because I had a lot of issues with the waves

The whole thing is just trial and error, say these sort of things to your psychiatrist, doctor or whoever and request a dosage or medication change

Last edited:
Reactions: sserafim
T

ThatStateOfMind

Enlightened
Nov 13, 2021
How many mg are you on? Maybe the dosage is too high.
I'm on a very low dosage, 20mg
I haven't officially been on them, but I've taken some non prescribed to self medicate. Not tried vyvanse yet, did take ritalin. Fun thing about meds is that a lower dosage can have more side effects than a higher dosage. Higher dosage can be worse and lower good for others, though in some cases people will change stimulant entirely if it doesn't work out. You know you've found the right one when you don't have much or any noticeable side effects n just feel more normal. E.g; ritalin 10mg was horrible for my heart and felt really uncomfortable, but 20mg was significantly better. 30mg potentially had the entire feel disappear, however it was instant release. From that point I figured out short releases will not do for me because I had a lot of issues with the waves

The whole thing is just trial and error, say these sort of things to your psychiatrist, doctor or whoever and request a dosage or medication change
its honestly so bad to the point I don't know if I wanna keep doing the trial and error of medicine. I literally feel like I'm on the brink of passing out at this point. My heart rate is at an all time high ~9-10 hours after taking the dose, and I can't even focus right now. Even typing this feels hard and I feel so reliant on autocorrect. I don't meet the psychiatrist for about a month but I don't know if I can push through with this medicine for that long.

That's why I suggested therapy as an option in this post because my ADHD hasn't been debilitating unmedicated. It's been difficult at times and made college hard, as well as honestly making some aspects of life hard but my whole life feels harder with this medicine.

TapeMachine

TapeMachine

perpetually confused
Jan 12, 2023
I was recently diagnosed a little over a year ago (at the age of 37, ugh..) and have been taking medication since.

It took several months of trying all sorts of meds before I finally landed on a medication type & dosage that works pretty well. I currently take Adderall XR, 30mg twice a day. My body seems to metabolize stimulants pretty quickly, so I only get about 5-8 hours of coverage per dose.

Vyvanse was awful for me. So too was Dexedrine. Adderall isn't perfect, but it's a hell of a lot better than being a bumbling fuckery of executive dysfunction all the time. (This is how I see myself- NOT how I perceive all people with ADHD, just fyi.)

You really just have to try different meds- trial and error (which sucks, I know)- until you find something that helps.

And if you decide meds just aren't for you, that's okay too. It's up to you and how much you're able to cope with the symptoms of your ADHD. :) (I personally got to the point where all of my coping mechanisms I'd developed throughout my life just weren't cutting it anymore. That's what led to my seeking a diagnosis at such a later age. I used to cope pretty damn well. Not so much any longer..)

sserafim

sserafim

brighter than the sun, that’s just me
Sep 13, 2023
I was recently diagnosed a little over a year ago (at the age of 37, ugh..) and have been taking medication since.

It took several months of trying all sorts of meds before I finally landed on a medication type & dosage that works pretty well. I currently take Adderall XR, 30mg twice a day. My body seems to metabolize stimulants pretty quickly, so I only get about 5-8 hours of coverage per dose.

Vyvanse was awful for me. So too was Dexedrine. Adderall isn't perfect, but it's a hell of a lot better than being a bumbling fuckery of executive dysfunction all the time. (This is how I see myself- NOT how I perceive all people with ADHD, just fyi.)

You really just have to try different meds- trial and error (which sucks, I know)- until you find something that helps.

And if you decide meds just aren't for you, that's okay too. It's up to you and how much you're able to cope with the symptoms of your ADHD. :) (I personally got to the point where all of my coping mechanisms I'd developed throughout my life just weren't cutting it anymore. That's what led to my seeking a diagnosis at such a later age. I used to cope pretty damn well. Not so much any longer..)
Interesting. Why was vyvanse awful for you? I heard that the L enantiomer was the one that caused the side effects of heart palpitations and such. Vyvanse only has the D one so theoretically you shouldn't experience that many side effects…I heard that D-amphetamine caused more of the focusing effects and L-amphetamine causes more of the physical side effects. Personally I have ADHD as well and I take adderall for it, though I haven't been taking it lately. I tried vyvanse as well but didn't notice much of a difference.

To the OP: maybe amphetamines are too strong for you? You could try ritalin

T

ThatStateOfMind

Enlightened
Nov 13, 2021

That's encouraging to hear, that you found a medication to work. I won't say I'll never try medication, I'll never say never, but I'd rather try therapy before medication again tbh. I don't see medication getting better for me in terms of Vyvanse, even if given time. This is my first ever medication for it. I feel less bad after forcing myself to eat, I feel less zombie-like.

Also, i currently cope well. My biggest worry is that I'll have issues with in the future is keeping a job if I stay unmedicated.

TapeMachine

TapeMachine

perpetually confused
Jan 12, 2023
Why was vyvanse awful for you?
It just didn't work very well for me, even after I increased the dose.

The active ingredient in both Dexedrine and Vyvanse is dextroamphetamine. And as you mentioned, Adderall contains levoamphetamine in addition to dextroamphetamine. I don't know why my brain didn't do well with straight dextroamphetamine.

Dexedrine Spansules (that's what they call the extended release version of Dexedrine) was my personal worst of the two though. It only lasted about 2-3 hours in my body; and once it wore off, my vision would go blurry and sideways, and I'd have to lie down and sleep because I could not stay awake (nor properly see) on that crap.

Vyvanse wasn't nearly as disorienting for me, but I still didn't care for it. It just made me lethargic, more than anything, which is the opposite of what I want and need.

But those were just my experiences. Dexedrine and Vyvanse are both very effective medications for many people. They just didn't work for me.

I'd rather try therapy before medication again tbh.
I don't blame you. :) You should definitely go with whichever option provides the most benefit to your life. Medication is certainly not supposed to impair you further than your ADHD symptoms already do.

If you do choose to forgo medication at the present time, just remember that you can always try again later if your ADHD symptoms become unmanageable. And keep in mind that Vyvanse is just one of many meds available for the treatment of ADHD; and your body's poor reaction to Vyvanse doesn't indicate that you will have such terrible reactions to every other medication. There might be something out there that could help you at some point. :)

T

ThatStateOfMind

Enlightened
Nov 13, 2021
It just didn't work very well for me, even after I increased the dose.

The active ingredient in both Dexedrine and Vyvanse is dextroamphetamine. And as you mentioned, Adderall contains levoamphetamine in addition to dextroamphetamine. I don't know why my brain didn't do well with straight dextroamphetamine.

Dexedrine Spansules (that's what they call the extended release version of Dexedrine) was my personal worst of the two though. It only lasted about 2-3 hours in my body; and once it wore off, my vision would go blurry and sideways, and I'd have to lie down and sleep because I could not stay awake (nor properly see) on that crap.

Vyvanse wasn't nearly as disorienting for me, but I still didn't care for it. It just made me lethargic, more than anything, which is the opposite of what I want and need.

But those were just my experiences. Dexedrine and Vyvanse are both very effective medications for many people. They just didn't work for me.

I don't blame you. :) You should definitely go with whichever option provides the most benefit to your life. Medication is certainly not supposed to impair you further than your ADHD symptoms already do.

If you do choose to forgo medication at the present time, just remember that you can always try again later if your ADHD symptoms become unmanageable. And keep in mind that Vyvanse is just one of many meds available for the treatment of ADHD; and your body's poor reaction to Vyvanse doesn't indicate that you will have such terrible reactions to every other medication. There might be something out there that could help you at some point. :)
Wow that sounds terrible, and here I thought Vyvanse was bad. It's bad but not changing my vision (aside from occasional dizziness and blurry vision during the crash).

I'm fine during the first half of the day (I take it around 8-9 AM) and it's like at 12PM, it goes downhill fast. I cried and cried today because of a problem I couldn't solve on school work, I snapped on my mom accidentally, all of this happened at around 2PM and I hadn't ate anything yet besides drinking a protein shake.

I think therapy would benefit me before medication anyways, due to me not having any concrete strategies or time management skills that I believe could help me thrive once I find the right medication.

They want me to push through for a week, and I don't know if I can even do that. The symptoms get worse by the day and I'm tired by midday which ruins the focus I need for school work more than my ADHD did (I was always super productive at night and in the morning, now I'm not and I'm only super productive for 3-4 hours a day now).

I'm definitely open to reconsidering meds later, especially once I'm in University, where I plan to likely get a job and the work will be harder (community college so far has been really easy most of the way).

I think they're gonna be pissed at me if I don't take the meds though, I don't know but I think he will hate how I disregarded his advice but I'm miserable on this medicine. Hell, the heart palpitations got worse today, with my heart rate peaking at 150 BPM which I hated the feeling of. Im crashing right now and have been for a bit now and it absolutely sucks, im drained and lethargic and can't focus at all.

TapeMachine

TapeMachine

perpetually confused
Jan 12, 2023
I think they're gonna be pissed at me if I don't take the meds though, I don't know but I think he will hate how I disregarded his advice but I'm miserable on this medicine. Hell, the heart palpitations got worse today, with my heart rate peaking at 150 BPM which I hated the feeling of. Im crashing right now and have been for a bit now and it absolutely sucks, im drained and lethargic and can't focus at all.
Who is the "they" you referenced here?

Regardless, let whoever be pissed if they want. That's on them, not you. 🙂 You're the one having to experience those horrible side effects. It's your life that the medication is ruining. You know what I mean?

Please don't continue taking that (or any med) for the sake of not upsetting/disappointing someone else. Dealing with suicidal thoughts in addition to trying to manage your ADHD symptoms is already a hefty, hefty load, dude.

quanxiswife

quanxiswife

May 28, 2021
I take 50mg vyvanse and it made me feel horrible during the first week. Blurry vision, lethargy, brain fog, and heart palpitations throughout the entire day. I could barely get through basic conversations at work lol. After that week and maybe a few days, those side effects kinda just faded away. Now, I feel pretty normal on it I guess. I just make sure to eat something protein-rich like 20 mins before I take it and to drink water throughout the day. Vyvanse was the only ADHD med, stim and nonstim, that had any effect on me at all, so I was determined to see if I could get any benefits out of it lol.

150 BPM is really high though and the crash sounds pretty bad for you which I never really experienced. You can always ask to switch to a different stimulant or even try a non-stimulant. Therapy sounds like a great idea too.

MourningDove

MourningDove

Oct 19, 2023

I think I was diagnosed with ADHD before I could comprehend what it actually was. Started with therapy before I could get medicated (I think, its hard to remember). Unfortunately I received more medication than therapy, but I believe therapy was more beneficial for me. I have experience with most of the ADHD medications (Vyvanse, Concerta, Adderall, short acting/extended release), because I've taken them for more than half my life, and I've done some shallow(?) research into the whole umbrella of "ADHD", so I wouldn't mind answering any questions about my experience with it!

NumbItAll

NumbItAll

expendable
May 20, 2018
Wow that sounds terrible, and here I thought Vyvanse was bad. It's bad but not changing my vision (aside from occasional dizziness and blurry vision during the crash).

I'm fine during the first half of the day (I take it around 8-9 AM) and it's like at 12PM, it goes downhill fast. I cried and cried today because of a problem I couldn't solve on school work, I snapped on my mom accidentally, all of this happened at around 2PM and I hadn't ate anything yet besides drinking a protein shake.

I think therapy would benefit me before medication anyways, due to me not having any concrete strategies or time management skills that I believe could help me thrive once I find the right medication.

They want me to push through for a week, and I don't know if I can even do that. The symptoms get worse by the day and I'm tired by midday which ruins the focus I need for school work more than my ADHD did (I was always super productive at night and in the morning, now I'm not and I'm only super productive for 3-4 hours a day now).

I'm definitely open to reconsidering meds later, especially once I'm in University, where I plan to likely get a job and the work will be harder (community college so far has been really easy most of the way).

That sounds horrible. Keep in mind that professionals have no idea what they're doing, and drugs are always a gamble. If you were getting by alright without them, it is definitely wise to consider whether it is worth it to introduce additional risks. Also don't worry about what anyone expects of you; it is your body not theirs.

T

ThatStateOfMind

Enlightened
Nov 13, 2021
Who is the "they" you referenced here?

Regardless, let whoever be pissed if they want. That's on them, not you. 🙂 You're the one having to experience those horrible side effects. It's your life that the medication is ruining. You know what I mean?

Please don't continue taking that (or any med) for the sake of not upsetting/disappointing someone else. Dealing with suicidal thoughts in addition to trying to manage your ADHD symptoms is already a hefty, hefty load, dude.
The "they" is the psychiatrist, and coordinators there.

I also could just be overthinking, I'm terrible about that but yeah I can't do the side effects at all. Thank you for the reassurance! I have been depressed and suicidal before (of course I have, I'm here) but I feel I've mostly beat that and I don't wanna go back to that over some medication.
I take 50mg vyvanse and it made me feel horrible during the first week. Blurry vision, lethargy, brain fog, and heart palpitations throughout the entire day. I could barely get through basic conversations at work lol. After that week and maybe a few days, those side effects kinda just faded away. Now, I feel pretty normal on it I guess. I just make sure to eat something protein-rich like 20 mins before I take it and to drink water throughout the day. Vyvanse was the only ADHD med, stim and nonstim, that had any effect on me at all, so I was determined to see if I could get any benefits out of it lol.

150 BPM is really high though and the crash sounds pretty bad for you which I never really experienced. You can always ask to switch to a different stimulant or even try a non-stimulant. Therapy sounds like a great idea too.
I'm very glad it's worked for you. A lot of your symptoms sound the same except for the really high heart rate and the crash (which was arguably the worst part for me).

Ultimately, my goal is to try therapy soon enough and see how that works. I got a lot more than ADHD that I might have to work through in therapy though.
I think I was diagnosed with ADHD before I could comprehend what it actually was. Started with therapy before I could get medicated (I think, it's hard to remember). Unfortunately I received more medication than therapy, but I believe therapy was more beneficial for me. I have experience with most of the ADHD medications (Vyvanse, Concerta, Adderall, short acting/extended release), because I've taken them for more than half my life, and I've done some shallow(?) research into the whole umbrella of "ADHD", so I wouldn't mind answering any questions about my experience with it!
I actually may have a question that you possibly know the answer to, especially since you found more benefit in therapy. What is therapy generally like? I know it'll vary but I'm just curious tbh.
That sounds horrible. Keep in mind that professionals have no idea what they're doing, and drugs are always a gamble. If you were getting by alright without them, it is definitely wise to consider whether it is worth it to introduce additional risks. Also don't worry about what anyone expects of you; it is your body not theirs.
Thank you. It was awful. Honestly the psychiatrist sounded really condescending at times. At one point when discussing medication, he said out of nowhere "I also have ADHD and got through a master's degree program without medication while also having children." And I still don't understand how that would apply to my situation or where it even came from.

Ultimately the weighing of risks has been something I've been doing and ultimately, I feel I'm too high risk for depression and suicide, having failed once way earlier in this year, to try this currently. Especially with there being much more stress on me now than earlier this year (debatable tbh, I was going through a bad breakup then and now I'm not but I'm also going to college now)

Reactions: NumbItAll and MourningDove
MourningDove

MourningDove

Oct 19, 2023
The "they" is the psychiatrist, and coordinators there.

I also could just be overthinking, I'm terrible about that but yeah I can't do the side effects at all. Thank you for the reassurance! I have been depressed and suicidal before (of course I have, I'm here) but I feel I've mostly beat that and I don't wanna go back to that over some medication.

I'm very glad it's worked for you. A lot of your symptoms sound the same except for the really high heart rate and the crash (which was arguably the worst part for me).

Ultimately, my goal is to try therapy soon enough and see how that works. I got a lot more than ADHD that I might have to work through in therapy though.

I actually may have a question that you possibly know the answer to, especially since you found more benefit in therapy. What is therapy generally like? I know it'll vary but I'm just curious tbh.

Thank you. It was awful. Honestly the psychiatrist sounded really condescending at times. At one point when discussing medication, he said out of nowhere "I also have ADHD and got through a master's degree program without medication while also having children." And I still don't understand how that would apply to my situation or where it even came from.

Ultimately the weighing of risks has been something I've been doing and ultimately, I feel I'm too high risk for depression and suicide, having failed once way earlier in this year, to try this currently. Especially with there being much more stress on me now than earlier this year (debatable tbh, I was going through a bad breakup then and now I'm not but I'm also going to college now)
I received therapy at a really young age but I don't really remember much about it. It was nice having that time of day where I could talk to someone about the things I wanted too, I saw it as an outlet in a way. I was able to learn about certain breathing techniques to help calm me down, got things like fidget toys (which actually helped at the time). I guess therapy can differ from person to person, and who your therapist is, I guess I got lucky.

from what I remember, I would go into the waiting room, read some sports magazine, and whenever it was my turn to speak with my therapist, I would go in and we would talk about my life, how I've been, and what's been bothering me. (personally) I would highly recommend physical, person to person therapy, not online. However, it was so long ago maybe the entire field of therapists have gotten better/worse I'm not sure. I always saw therapy not as a solution, but a form of treatment.

T

ThatStateOfMind

Enlightened
Nov 13, 2021
I received therapy at a really young age but I don't really remember much about it. It was nice having that time of day where I could talk to someone about the things I wanted too, I saw it as an outlet in a way. I was able to learn about certain breathing techniques to help calm me down, got things like fidget toys (which actually helped at the time). I guess therapy can differ from person to person, and who your therapist is, I guess I got lucky.

from what I remember, I would go into the waiting room, read some sports magazine, and whenever it was my turn to speak with my therapist, I would go in and we would talk about my life, how I've been, and what's been bothering me. (personally) I would highly recommend physical, person to person therapy, not online. However, it was so long ago maybe the entire field of therapists have gotten better/worse I'm not sure. I always saw therapy not as a solution, but a form of treatment.
Yeah I don't see it being some magic cure-all solution, but I do think I could learn some valuable coping mechanisms and just have a healthy outlet. The main thing I think will help is learning how to deal with negative self-talk, something I deal with nearly daily and sometimes it bleeds into aspects of my life.

I would certainly prefer in person therapy over online therapy, but my car is unpredictable so if something goes wrong there, I'll have to do telehealth/zoom therapy. I appreciate you sharing your thoughts and experiences. If I wind up with a bad therapist, I have a few other places I could try (I'm very limited in options though, downsides of small town rural living)

Reactions: MourningDove
BornHated

BornHated

God may judge, but his sins outnumber your own.
Nov 19, 2022
After looking at some sources I've noticed that the common conclusion to improve things is structure? Regardless of meds
Whether it's external or… whatever, ADHD brains are really bad at establishing priority hierarchy (executive dysfunction) so essentially an active, focused plan with more efficient transitions for whatever set of tasks you have to do is the most important.

I sadly don't have much to say about the medication part, I just rely on caffeine atm. But I think what I wanted to say was that despite attempting meds this whole Organizing concepts thing is a big part x_x I wish you luck, I don't know much but other non medicated ADHDers I come across seem to really like energy drinks like me

(Edited bc I remembered your actual question and realized I was going off about something related but not your real question, my bad.)

Last edited:
LaVieEnRose

LaVieEnRose

Angelic
Jul 23, 2022
. At one point when discussing medication, he said out of nowhere "I also have ADHD and got through a master's degree program without medication while also having children." .
Then why is he a fucking doctor lol?

T

ThatStateOfMind

Enlightened
Nov 13, 2021
After looking at some sources I've noticed that the common conclusion to improve things is structure? Regardless of meds
Whether it's external or… whatever, ADHD brains are really bad at establishing priority hierarchy (executive dysfunction) so essentially an active, focused plan with more efficient transitions for whatever set of tasks you have to do is the most important.

I sadly don't have much to say about the medication part, I just rely on caffeine atm. But I think what I wanted to say was that despite attempting meds this whole Organizing concepts thing is a big part x_x I wish you luck, I don't know much but other non medicated ADHDers I come across seem to really like energy drinks like me

(Edited bc I remembered your actual question and realized I was going off about something related but not your real question, my bad.)
Yeah that's why I'm considering therapy, to help find ways to manage my thoughts and keep my head on. I also rely on caffeine, although not too frequently. Mainly, if I need to study a lot or study quickly, caffeine is a go-to for me.

Regardless of your answer kinda going off-topic, it still is helpful! I appreciate it either way. I do like energy drinks like most other people with ADHD as well.
Then why is he a fucking doctor lol?
I honestly couldn't answer that lmfao, but he came across as a dick when he said that. I don't feel like, as a mental health professional, you should self-reference when talking to a patient but that's just me.

Reactions: BornHated
LaVieEnRose

LaVieEnRose

Angelic
Jul 23, 2022
I honestly couldn't answer that lmfao, but he came across as a dick when he said that. I don't feel like, as a mental health professional, you should self-reference when talking to a patient but that's just me.
It sounds like he is trying to peddle something he doesn't even believe in, which makes no sense. It's irrelevant what other people can or not do. If you are struggling and there if a tool like a medication that can alleviate that struggle, then there is no shame in using that tool.

depressedjhit

depressedjhit

here for a good time, not a long time🖤
Nov 13, 2023

Omg yes. I have been on Vyvanse 30mg on and off and just started back up last month. These are the worst crashes I've ever had. I cant eat, cant sleep, and it's actually made me so depressed from the f*cked sleep schedule that I can't get out of bed or do anything unless I take it. I definitely need to get back with the psych Dr.

T

ThatStateOfMind

Enlightened
Nov 13, 2021
It sounds like he is trying to peddle something he doesn't even believe in, which makes no sense. It's irrelevant what other people can or not do. If you are struggling and there if a tool like a medication that can alleviate that struggle, then there is no shame in using that tool.
Exactly my thoughts. I suppose he was kinda right in that the medicine didn't work for me, but irregardless, it shouldn't matter.
Omg yes. I have been on Vyvanse 30mg on and off and just started back up last month. These are the worst crashes I've ever had. I cant eat, cant sleep, and it's actually made me so depressed from the f*cked sleep schedule that I can't get out of bed or do anything unless I take it. I definitely need to get back with the psych Dr.
Yeah this is super similar to my experience except I was on 20 mg and I had only just started medicine the first time with it.

I had zero appetite, I was always depressed in the evening and my productivity crashed after 12 PM, and I didn't get it back until rarely way late in the night or much more commonly, the next morning after I woke up. I hope you can get back with the Psych Dr and either get off of it or find some way to fix your problem!

• Love
Reactions: depressedjhit
KuriGohan&Kamehameha

KuriGohan&Kamehameha

想死不能 - 想活不能
Nov 23, 2020
I have every symptom and a diagnosis on paper but absolutely no meds worked for me. No stimulants, no antidepressants, no anxiolytics, nada. It feels really horrible once you reach the point where you're told nothing else can be offered.

• Hugs
Reactions: ThatStateOfMind and LaVieEnRose
Kattt

Kattt

Ancient of Mu-Mu
May 18, 2021
Anyone get Dexamphetamine? Especially in the UK?
Would love to talk to you personally if so.

T

ThatStateOfMind

Enlightened
Nov 13, 2021
I have every symptom and a diagnosis on paper but absolutely no meds worked for me. No stimulants, no antidepressants, no anxiolytics, nada. It feels really horrible once you reach the point where you're told nothing else can be offered.
Wow I can't even begin to understand how that would feel. I'm sorry it's like that for you :(

Cristobal9613

Cristobal9613

Apr 5, 2023

man, where do I begin?
I'm 27 now and have been on some kind of stimulant/suppressant for as long as I can remember. My parents used to call them "chill pills" growing up. Any way, I've been scripted a few different things and all the doses that come with them. Vyvanse seems to work best for me. I started taking 30mg Vyvanse a few years ago but it was paired with one 10Mg Adderall in the afternoon. Now for about 2 years, I've completely gotten away from multiple scripts and found that one 60Mg Vyvanse with breakfast works the best for me. No big crash anymore and no big symptoms. They went away with time but I do remember having the jitters and increased heart rate when I started taking the Vyvanse. When we would change the dose, boom, same thing would happen. Or If I chose not to take it for the weekend. I'd feel the symptoms again the first day being back on them. So I'm not surprised you hate the side affects lol
The Vyvanse used to play with my emotions a bit but I think it was because I was more focused on my true feelings and thoughts that I would get too deep into them. Now it's almost a normal thing for me. I know what to expect and how to act around it. The Vyvanse has definitely changed my personality though, I used to be this fun crazy outgoing kid and now I'm irritable and mind my words. My wife used to ask me what was wrong when I was "in a mood" but she quickly learned there was never anything wrong, I just didn't have anything important to say or feel that a conversation was necessary all the time. We both learned I guess.
It's scary how a few years of (almost) daily dosing will change a person. These are some of the long term affects that nobody ever talks about.
Sorry for writing a book but you asked :ahhha:
Best of luck to you!

T

ThatStateOfMind

Enlightened
Nov 13, 2021
man, where do I begin?
I'm 27 now and have been on some kind of stimulant/suppressant for as long as I can remember. My parents used to call them "chill pills" growing up. Any way, I've been scripted a few different things and all the doses that come with them. Vyvanse seems to work best for me. I started taking 30mg Vyvanse a few years ago but it was paired with one 10Mg Adderall in the afternoon. Now for about 2 years, I've completely gotten away from multiple scripts and found that one 60Mg Vyvanse with breakfast works the best for me. No big crash anymore and no big symptoms. They went away with time but I do remember having the jitters and increased heart rate when I started taking the Vyvanse. When we would change the dose, boom, same thing would happen. Or If I chose not to take it for the weekend. I'd feel the symptoms again the first day being back on them. So I'm not surprised you hate the side affects lol
The Vyvanse used to play with my emotions a bit but I think it was because I was more focused on my true feelings and thoughts that I would get too deep into them. Now it's almost a normal thing for me. I know what to expect and how to act around it. The Vyvanse has definitely changed my personality though, I used to be this fun crazy outgoing kid and now I'm irritable and mind my words. My wife used to ask me what was wrong when I was "in a mood" but she quickly learned there was never anything wrong, I just didn't have anything important to say or feel that a conversation was necessary all the time. We both learned I guess.
It's scary how a few years of (almost) daily dosing will change a person. These are some of the long term affects that nobody ever talks about.
Sorry for writing a book but you asked :ahhha:
Best of luck to you!
Don't apologize for sharing, I actually appreciate the in-depth response you have given! Personally, medication's side effects aren't worth the trial and error. I definitely would have lost weight I can't afford to lose if I stayed on the meds for too long (119 lbs and 5'8 or 5'9). I had to force myself to eat every day I was on it and it didn't even return at night like the psychiatrist said it would.

I'm glad it works for you, but it's unfortunate that it's changed your personality.

Reactions: NumbItAll