U

Unspoken

Jan 12, 2020
I had 12 sessions of electroconvulsive therapy. It helped diminish a lot of my symptoms of depression, but I still want to die.
Has anyone else had experience with ECT? What were your results like?

T

toomuchtimetodie

"to be overly conscious is a sickness"
Mar 13, 2020
I had 5.
I just had a placebo effect from it because as soon as something negative happened I was back to normal tried 4 more then thought it was just a waste of everyone's time for me.
I know alot of people have great results though, much more so than medication but I do wonder how much is down to state of mind because most consider it quite a dramatic form of treatment.

Q

qwerty32

I tried.
Apr 13, 2020
From what I heard ECT has good results. One problem is some short term memory loss. Worse I heard is someone forgot they were married. Sorry you still have feelings to SI.

Reactions: autumnal
felix

felix

Experienced
Jan 25, 2019
How will this and tms do for a tic/Tourettes?

MotherOfCats

MotherOfCats

Apr 23, 2020
I've always been curious about it, as my depression isn't touched by ADs. But in another group I'm in, there's a lot of talk of severe memory loss. Bipolar had already taken a good portion of my memory from me, I can't afford to lose anymore. I look forward to hearing others' thoughts though.

U

Unspoken

Jan 12, 2020
Tha
From what I heard ECT has good results. One problem is some short term memory loss. Worse I heard is someone forgot they were married. Sorry you still have feelings to SI.
thanks for your reply. I do have some memory problems now but I can't tell if it's because of the ECT or because I smoke too much weed.
I've always been curious about it, as my depression isn't touched by ADs. But in another group I'm in, there's a lot of talk of severe memory loss. Bipolar had already taken a good portion of my memory from me, I can't afford to lose anymore. I look forward to hearing others' thoughts though.
I do have some memory loss. I wouldn't say it's severe, but it's noticeable

How will this and tms do for a tic/Tourettes?
I haven't done any research on this. Have you asked a doctor?
I had 5.
I just had a placebo effect from it because as soon as something negative happened I was back to normal tried 4 more then thought it was just a waste of everyone's time for me.
I know alot of people have great results though, much more so than medication but I do wonder how much is down to state of mind because most consider it quite a dramatic form of treatment.
I'm sorry it wasn't helpful for you. It is quite an intensive procedure, so I could see why you wouldn't want to continue.

Last edited:
Deleted member 18655

Deleted member 18655

Enlightened
Jun 4, 2020
I had 11 sessions, ten years ago. It worked better than anyone expected. I was off all meds, and got rid of PTSD, Bipolar I and Anorexia. It allowed me to travel the world, work and lead a pretty normal life.

COVID is the anti-ECT and, in the past three months, I've found myself back in the pit of it all.

From what I've been reading, any eCT top-ups or anti-d's will only mess up anything the ECT got rid of. So I'm stuck here now.

Reactions: autumnal
willitpass

willitpass

Don’t try to offer me help, I’ve tried everything
Mar 10, 2020
i had 12 sessions and did not notice any difference in my mental state. there were no negative side effects but nothing positive either, it was just kinda a thing that happened

ghostgirl1995

ghostgirl1995

Experienced
Apr 18, 2020
I need to fail more meds before this becomes an option. Did you guys lose any memory? I would love to lose some of my past traumatic memories.