rationaldeath

rationaldeath

Dec 10, 2021
I feel like I'm on "autopilot" almost all the time and even when I do try to be more conscious things feel very artificial and detached. I feel like I'm barely present in my own life and when I am there I'm just an observer. This extends to both my short and long term memory too, I can't really identify with any of my past experiences. They seem like a very vague representation of someone else's memories that I was told about or that I just watched on a screen.

Can any of you relate to these kinds of feelings? I'm not sure when or why it started in myself but I don't think Ive always been like this. Maybe it has something to do with depression, or it could be a lingering effect of a traumatic lsd trip I had a couple years ago that left me pretty shaken and detached from reality.

• Hugs
  • Love
Reactions: ineedtoctb, Somber, mistvissione11e and 11 others
G

Gsvko

Mea culpa.
Dec 14, 2021
I think that's me? I don't feel like I exist, the only thing I feel is pain from not being able to relate to anything. Like an ego death? I can remember only one event, the one that caused this collapse. All the previous shit, or good things too are gone, like they never happened.
Btw I have no diagnosis that'd explain it

• Hugs
Reactions: ineedtoctb, arnd, rationaldeath and 1 other person
Mr2005

Mr2005

Don't shoot the messenger, give me the gun
Sep 25, 2018
All it would really take to be happy is different memories. I have one playing on a loop. Everything before is like someone else and everything after doesn't matter a damn

• Hugs
Reactions: faex42, Crazy4u, rationaldeath and 1 other person
Snake of Eden

Snake of Eden

“Ye shall be as gods..🍎 🐍”
Jun 22, 2021
Yes there are parts of my life that are completely wiped out from my conscious memory. Things resurface in my dreams seldom but for the most part i never think about them. There are other painful memories that I cant get rid of somehow and they keep haunting me.

• Hugs
Reactions: Angst Filled Fuck Up, demuic, rationaldeath and 1 other person
LastLoveLetter

LastLoveLetter

Persephone
Mar 28, 2021
I have a dissociative disorder and this resonates with me. This sounds very much like a form of dissociation, such as depersonalisation and derealisation. Drug use, depression and trauma are all known to be linked to dissociation, so it could be any of the reasons you provided or all of them combined.

My personal experience of depersonalisation and derealisation are that everything around me feels unreal. My dreams and nightmares at times feel more real than being awake. I often feel as though I am floating (it may sound pleasant, but it isn't), feel completely disconnected from myself and my own body and feel as though I am watching my life unfold before my eyes but instead of sitting at the steering wheel, I am in the passenger seat.
In addition, I struggle profoundly with dissociative amnesia. I also frequently "check out" mentally for long periods of time, staring blankly into space for many hours, unable to move. Just sitting in one position, staring at the wall or the floor.

I'm sorry you had such a traumatic LSD trip, that must have been awful.

• Hugs
Reactions: faex42, mistvissione11e, BrokenUntilTheEnd and 8 others
Luchs

Luchs

kristallene Bergluft über verfallener Gruft
Aug 20, 2019
I have a similar problem in that I feel very detached from my life, it feels like my mind has disassociated from reality, but I feel to attached to my memories. I am pretty much the same person I was 10-15 years ago, because those were happier times, so I am clinging to the past in the hope that I can be happy again same as back then, I am afraid that if I let go I'll loose all the connection to my happy past, but still be miserable. At this point I'm not sure if I even can let go anymore.

• Hugs
Reactions: demuic, Crazy4u and rationaldeath
Angst Filled Fuck Up

Angst Filled Fuck Up

Visionary
Sep 9, 2018
I have a dissociative disorder and this resonates with me. This sounds very much like a form of dissociation, such as depersonalisation and derealisation. Drug use, depression and trauma are all known to be linked to dissociation, so it could be any of the reasons you provided or all of them combined.

My personal experience of depersonalisation and derealisation are that everything around me feels unreal. My dreams and nightmares at times feel more real than being awake. I often feel as though I am floating (it may sound pleasant, but it isn't), feel completely disconnected from myself and my own body and feel as though I am watching my life unfold before my eyes but instead of sitting at the steering wheel, I am in the passenger seat.
In addition, I struggle profoundly with dissociative amnesia. I also frequently "check out" mentally for long periods of time, staring blankly into space for many hours, unable to move. Just sitting in one position, staring at the wall or the floor.

This is exactly what I have. I have been a member of a DP/DR community for years now since I developed it 7.5 years ago. I feel constantly floaty, like permanently lightheaded. It's like being mildly drunk but without the euphoria. With me it also comes with very severe fatigue and an inability to absorb things properly. The world feels unreal and I'm having an increasingly harder time following conversations or TV shows etc. It's hellish, and nobody's ever been able to help me with it. I'm sorry you have this too.

• Hugs
Reactions: rationaldeath, Nightmare Painting, demuic and 1 other person
Crazy4u

Crazy4u

Enlightened
Sep 29, 2021
I started feeling like this after covid lockdown. nothing is real. I am a ghost

• Hugs
Reactions: rationaldeath, arnd, Nightmare Painting and 1 other person
NumbItAll

NumbItAll

expendable
May 20, 2018
I had DP/DR for a couple years and it was incredibly distressing. I had panic attacks almost every day and couldn't leave the house. That whole time period is very foggy. I'm not an expert but I think it's a symptom of stress... at least in my case it was. I had to make a lot of lifestyle changes just to get to a semi-functional level again, which as you can tell from my presence on this forum, has not been a smashing success.

• Hugs
Reactions: rationaldeath and Angst Filled Fuck Up
N

Nightmare Painting

Student
Dec 16, 2021
My entire life has been like this because I was traumatized as a child and it's become ingrained as a involuntary coping mechanism. I never had anyone to turn to so I numbed out from the trauma, abuse, and neglect to tolerate it all. Isolation and other stressors have just made it worse over the years and decades.

It has always been my version of "normal" which is why I didn't know what was wrong with me for most of my life; or at the very least I had no way of labeling it.

It happens when you're incapable of facing with a stressor head on in a healthy way. Deal with the stressor/s and the fog might gradually lift over time but that's easier said than done.

Last edited:
  • Hugs
Reactions: rationaldeath
markimobzzdeasui

markimobzzdeasui

Life is a cruel joke
Oct 24, 2021
Last year some severely traumatic shit events have happened. Since then I am constantly in a state of depersonalisation, derealisation and complete ghost like state. I have almost lost the capacity to safely feel my own feelings unless they are extremely intense or suicidal. Most of the times, I am just playing philosophical/rational/scientific/mystical games with my memories without actually feeling them like they aren't mine at all.

• Hugs
Sherri

Sherri

Archangel
Sep 28, 2020
2015 changed my life forever in a traumatic way, since then until now, time just passed so fast that I have no idea what things really mattered between then and now, it's all a fog.

• Hugs
  • Love
Reactions: rationaldeath and Wails
Wails

Wails

Ghostly wailing
Jan 16, 2022
I relate to this a lot!!! I am constantly dissociated and also feel like I'm fragments of the same person. My memory is all foggy and I can't even clearly remember what I did an hour ago most of the times.

• Hugs
Reactions: rationaldeath and Crazy4u
I

InezSerrano

Experienced
Dec 3, 2021
This is how I feel. I wasn't sure what to call it. I've done ketamine and it feels similar but a bit more so, so maybe its dissociation.

• Love
  • Hugs
Reactions: rationaldeath and Wails
D

Deleted member 8975

I wish. Instead I've been living the past decade like it's not even real. I wonder if I have ever been alive.

• Hugs
Reactions: Crazy4u and rationaldeath
mistvissione11e

mistvissione11e

Jan 3, 2022

I have not been diagnosed, but would an example of dissociative amnesia be forgetting your own self, i used to experience this frequently where i could not relate myself to an identity in myself and would forget certain objects (or perceptions) in reference to myself. I lost my ego in a sense. I was one with only the being movement and nothing else.

• Hugs
Eternal Pessimist

Eternal Pessimist

Student
Oct 16, 2019
I feel detached from my memories because I've regressed so much as a person they don't feel like my memories anymore. I used to be independent to a degree and was able to do things for myself, but now I'm very dependent on other people. When I look back at the kind of person I was in my early 20s it is hard for me to believe that it was me who lived like that and was able to be self-sufficient, at least to a degree. When I think back to that time it makes me really sad because I was approaching what could be called a somewhat normal life, but now I've regressed so much that a level of independence like that feels very far away.

• Hugs