C

Croww

Jan 7, 2024
I have always answered no to all those 3 questions they ask, and especially the one that says if you have any plans to suicide. I have always avoided the psych ward even though I clearly could have needed it with my severe mental illness. Am so afraid of how horrible it is and have heard bad tales.

• Hugs
Reactions: struggles_inc, Hotsackage, Forever Sleep and 3 others
CasTheFriendlyGhost

CasTheFriendlyGhost

call me Caspar
Jan 5, 2024
it really depends where you end up and the personnel that's responsible for you. at least where i live there are some decent places, particularly small specialized hospitals.

but yeah to the corporation that runs the hospital you're not a person but an asset that needs to be operated at minimum cost to extract maximum profit.

• Hugs
Reactions: Kit1
LaVieEnRose

LaVieEnRose

Angelic
Jul 23, 2022
No because I'm a fucking dumbass.

• Hugs
R

Rev346

I’m here but will I still be next year?
Oct 23, 2023
When I was younger I didn't care as much but now I avoid it at all costs. Focusing on work and family responsibilities is the thing I have that keeps me grounded. If I leave for a week unplanned then all sorts of stuff falls apart.
I had decent stays at the psych wards I visited but it's BS that I have to pay for a hospital stay that I didn't want. It's just pure extortion to force somebody to stay AND charge them ridiculous amounts of money.

• Hugs
N

NaNO2_is_the_answer

Oct 18, 2023
Yes. Being at home with internet and being able to eat whatever food I want beats whatever there is in the psych ward. They cannot help me anyway.

• Hugs
penguinl0v3s

penguinl0v3s

Wait for Me đź’™
Nov 1, 2023
Avoid it. Everyone I know says that it was traumatic, and for me it was traumatic as well.

It's also just incredibly boring. No internet, no writing utensils that work, no books that you'd actually enjoy reading, no TV, no nothing. And if you sleep too much that goes against you because the doctors write it down.

• Love
  • Hugs
Reactions: Adûnâi and Kit1
B

brokeandbroken

Enlightened
Apr 18, 2023
I have always answered no to all those 3 questions they ask, and especially the one that says if you have any plans to suicide. I have always avoided the psych ward even though I clearly could have needed it with my severe mental illness. Am so afraid of how horrible it is and have heard bad tales.
No but I have no one. Sometimes things have gotten overwhelming. Like I've said before. I'm kind of straddling the suicide and wanting to live. I'm absolutely miserable. Like horrendously miserable. If I think too much about it I get nauseous... it's like purgatory. I truly hate every aspect of my life. To be honest I've been truly unimpressed by my time in the psych ward... This last time I left worse then when I started...

• Love
  • Hugs
Reactions: Adûnâi and Kit1
K

Kit1

Enlightened
Oct 24, 2023
I am trying my best to keep myself alive for the sake of loved ones who depend on me. Apart from dissociation, there is only one other reason I will actually end my life - and that is if someone manages to admit me on a psychiatric ward - I will 100% end my life to avoid it and if somehow they managed to get me into one of those places, I will 101% be dead upon discharge and will do so publicly with a legal team (in waiting) to look at how the NHS failed me and drove me to suicide. In short, I hate the idea of admission to a psychiatric hospital and would rather die.

• Hugs
Reactions: Tears in Rain and Praestat_Mori
P

Praestat_Mori

Mori praestat, quam haec pati!
May 21, 2023
A psych ward can help if the MH issues can be cured with meds / therapy, most MH issues are a result of external factors that are causing them or caused them in the past. Those are almost incurable unless someone finds a way to cope and wants to cope.

I would avoid psych ward stays unless I had "hope" they helped me. In the end it's a personal choice.

• Hugs
F

Forever Sleep

Earned it we have...
May 4, 2022
I haven't given them much reason to put me in one. I haven't opened up about my ideation to them. The IC SN welfare check was the closest I got. I was reasonably honest with the police but emphasized it would be for future term use to avoid old age and illness. They seemed ok-ish with that. The helpline I was put in touch with gave me more of a scare when they mentioned mental competency. Still- I'm in the UK. People who want to be admitted sometimes aren't! They don't have the resources. I probably would have asked to speak to a solicitor if they tried to section me. I don't believe I am mentally ill (or- no more than most people!) I don't think it would benefit me to be in that environment or be forced to take drugs. I doubt my employers would be impressed either!

• Hugs
C

cold_severance

Student
Dec 11, 2023
psych wards are for crisis management only, it has the same methods as usual like drugs and therapy, but its worse and you're in prison. so dont regret it, since you didn't miss out on anything helpful.

J

jrj94

Jan 6, 2024
Ive never been but im at my lowest right now and would like to go. I cant ctb at the moment where i am, there is just no opportunity. I see a few people say its a traumatic experience but for myself thats fine i can view it as an another motivation and punishment which i deserve.

O

Orange Cat

Student
Oct 19, 2023
Most people don't find psych wards that helpful. They are mainly just to stabilize people who are in an acute crisis. They don't address the root cause of your issues. They just babysit you and then send you home with the same problems you came in with. At most they will give you a referral to a therapist before they discharge you if you don't already have one. If you think that you could benefit from therapy or medication you can ask your doctor for a referral and go as an out patient. You won't get any special treatments in the psych ward that you can't get as an out patient.

The only time that a stay in the psych ward might be helpful for someone who is suicidal is if they aren't really certain that they want to go through with it and tend to act very impulsively. If they are worried that they may not be able to control themself and may kill themself impulsively, and they don't have anyone they can ask for help.In this case being in the psych ward can help to keep them safe, but it is only a temporary solution. The psych ward isn't really helpful for people who are chronically suicidal, because they don't address the root causes.

LaVieEnRose

LaVieEnRose

Angelic
Jul 23, 2022
I doubt my employers would be impressed either!
That information should be private but if people just disappear and don't show up to work for several days, they're probably going to want an explanation.

Reactions: Forever Sleep
mortuarymary

mortuarymary

Enlightened
Jan 17, 2024
Went once for 6 weeks and never again.
in the UK most of those wards are in a hospital with nurses that have no formal mental health training.
They drugged me up and left me to it.

BlackMoon

BlackMoon

Peace-seeker
Oct 30, 2023
I never had wellness check. I never had a person who just cared a little about my mental health, not even in a bad way. So yes, I always avoided psych wards, not even because I didn't wanted to go there, simply because the risk to be sent there never existed for me.