JustHeckinKillMe

Cool I'm dead
Sep 26, 2019

Reactions: Foresight and newave3
K

Klophy

Lost...
Jun 28, 2022
Yeah, not being able to provide for yourself, it takes a toll.

On the other hand, i don't think a job and the money by itself will give you happiness. You need something like a passion to pursue. Maybe it's just me giving excuses.

• Hugs
Reactions: ð–£´ nadia ð–£´, Shivali, whatevs and 4 others
C

come to dust

Arcanist
Oct 28, 2019
I'm the opposite, i wanna die because i cant be a NEET for life

• Hugs
  • Love
Reactions: QuietLake, whatevs, veryhappyhuman and 6 others
hans0solo

hans0solo

Dec 10, 2021
I think most of my life, not being able to get a job made me feel like life was not worth living. I deal with being autistic, dealing with child hood trauma, being poor, & an unsupportive, controlling family. I wanted to escape my family. and I hoped a job would allow me that freedom. living most of my life not being able to escape has made me suicidal. I'm now employed and hoping to escape finally to my own room and cat.

• Hugs
Reactions: ð–£´ nadia ð–£´, MountainMonkey, omoidarui and 6 others
hungry_ghost

hungry_ghost

جهاد
Feb 21, 2022
Yes, but I also don't want to work, lol..

I'm incredibly lazy, and hate the initial process of applying for, and interviewing for jobs, though when I actually have a job, I am a hard worker.

• Love
Reactions: QuietLake, whatevs, newave3 and 2 others
O

outatime_85

Warlock
May 17, 2022
That is one reason I do.

After a long time of trying, it wears you down or you age out of the system.

They say the world does not owe you anything.

To which I respond, "That is fine."

Then I don't owe society my continuing to push my chips forward every day.

I should be able to check out of life completely, and how I see fit.

• Love
Reactions: MountainMonkey, Disappointered, newave3 and 4 others
hans0solo

hans0solo

Dec 10, 2021
I consider it part of our societies duty to support people who can't work with some system of disability or who are poor with social support. this won't make a great life but it allow for people to exist, be housed and feed.

Reactions: newave3 and Lost in a Dream
W

waitingforrest

Elementalist
Dec 27, 2021
Yes. I am not stable enough to hold a job unfortunately. I would work, go home, have mental breakdowns and repeat. No matter how much I try, I can't be that pillar of strength to support myself and others. I'm too fragile, ctb is my default answer to every small inconvenience.

• Aww..
Reactions: QuietLake, Trezzohno, Foresight and 3 others
Superdeterminist

Superdeterminist

Enlightened
Apr 5, 2020
Yep, I never found a job that I enjoyed and paid decently. There are some jobs I maybe could be hired for but I know I would be miserable doing those. Working a job purely for necessity is gross to me, although I respect if others do it. What I don't respect, is the long-standing culture of shaming people if they don't work, even when their options are only wageslaving at McDonalds or cleaning toilets.

With poverty looming because of this failure of a professional life, of course ctb makes for a much-needed escape.

Reactions: newave3
newave3

newave3

I want out
Nov 21, 2020
Yes, but I also don't want to work, lol..

I'm incredibly lazy, and hate the initial process of applying for, and interviewing for jobs, though when I actually have a job, I am a hard worker.
Same, looking for a job can be a lot more grueling and stressful than the job itself.

Reactions: rationaltake, Disappointered, hungry_ghost and 1 other person
WearyHSP

WearyHSP

Student
Dec 12, 2021
I live on disability. It took 15 years to get a diagnosis because literally not one person in my life listened to me when I told them I was sick. Not one family member or friend cared. Doctors told me I was making it up.
I could barely hold stupid temp jobs for the last several years before I got the diagnosis, because I was so invisibly sick.

When I got laid off from my last temp job I called a couple of friends to say goodbye because if I couldn't work, then I couldn't afford basic rent etc. That's the only reason I'm still alive. A friend offered a temporary landing pad and I started the 4 year process to get on disability.

So yeah, not having a job that pays enough to live is absolutley a reason to ctb. Atleast for people like me who have zero support system.

• Hugs
  • Aww..
Reactions: hungry_ghost, newave3 and Klophy
O

obafgkm

Experienced
Jun 3, 2022
I'm the opposite, i wanna die because i cant be a NEET for life
Yes, ask people to choose between:
1. Work hard to get a good life
2. Same good life without need to work
Most people choose 2. It's not about work. It's about if you get what you want.

• Love
Reactions: hungry_ghost and newave3
Foresight

Foresight

Enlightened
Jun 14, 2019
Employment is my number 2 reason for suicidal ideation, and the employment issues are caused by my number 1 reason with physical problems.

I'm getting better with it. Took over a decade to get myself together with it.

whatevs

whatevs

Mining for copium in the weirdest places.
Jan 15, 2022
Yes, ask people to choose between:
1. Work hard to get a good life
2. Same good life without need to work
Most people choose 2. It's not about work. It's about if you get what you want.
On the other hand many people obtain pride and a sense of identity from their profession. If you actually like your work then it helps with mental issues.

Of course doing things you loathe with people you have nothing in common with is worse than being jobless and doing whatever you want with that time.

Reactions: rationaltake, ColorlessTrees, Foresight and 2 others
Dead Ghost

Dead Ghost

Mestre del Temps
May 6, 2022
I would like to feel useful to others, and also when they are willing to pay you to stay in your job for a long time it is because you do things well and that makes you feel better... but if they pay you because no one else wants to do that job, then it makes you feel like a miserable wretch.

However it's been more than 10 years since I understood that the best way was to work on my own and advertise to get things done for me, as I was not able to handle a normal work schedule and I was always afraid of being assigned tasks I wasn't ready for.

But nowadays things are pretty bad for me, the only option I have are sheltered jobs for disabled people with such low salaries that do not allow me to make an autonomous life, so I prefer to stay at home and go saving the pension they give me waiting for the day my situation improves (but it is so low that my mother will be dead by the time I have enough money to do something useful).

A mi m'agradaria sentirme útil als demés, i a més a més quan están disposats a remunerarte perqué segueixis al teu lloc de feina durant força temps es perquè fas les coses bé i això et fa sentir millor... sinó es que et paguen perquè ningú més vol fer aquella feina, llavors et fa sentir com una despulla miserable.

Tot i així ja fa més de 10 anys que vaig entendre que la millor manera era treballar pel meu compte i publicitar-me perquè m'encarreguessin coses, ja que no era capaç de suportar un horari laboral amb normalitat i sempre tenía por que m'assignessin tasques per a les quals no estava preparat.

Però avuí dia la cosa està força malament per mi, l'única opció que tinc són feines protegides per discapacitats de sous tan baixos que no em permeten fer una vida autònoma, per això prefereixo quedar-me a casa i anar estalviant la pensió que em donen esperant el día que la meva situació millori (però es tan baixa que m'ha mare s'haurà mort per quan tingui prous diners per fer alguna cosa útil).

Reactions: ð–£´ nadia ð–£´ and newave3
hans0solo

hans0solo

Dec 10, 2021
we live in an ableist society that doesn't make it easy to claim disability benefits. and shames people for not working or says they are 'faking' I felt that until I got a job. I'm not sure I can live in my own apartment with my income. but I hope to move to my own place in the future. being disabled is not shameful. its hard to live without the meaning most people find working but its not impossible.

Reactions: newave3
S

Sleepdrifter

Student
Jun 22, 2020
Getting work is pretty easy for me. But: a) my town is not serious about good workers. b) The plan is to go to school in september and work in that area instead, but the university I want is not coming back to me promptly. c) I've lost my birth certificate AND my passport (idiot) preventing me from getting manual work and they don't take digital copies or other ID. So I am stranded and in limbo.

Getting a job requires you do the following:
1. Look at your area. Learn about the big recruitment agencies, local HQs and big companies, biggest employers, industrial estates, high streets, the town history. Understand why the town exists in the first place. It probably specialized in something: vehicles, vehicle sales, gas, utilities, law, flower arranging. This will give meaning to your job search. Maybe the area isn't right for you or you've been looking in the wrong place.
2. Look at the vacancies. You can usually split things into three general areas: manual labor, desk job/retail, professional. There is virtually always gigs going for the first two which most people can get even without certain soft or hard skills. Offices are too busy backstabbing to care if you're trained. Manual labor is something to avoid, to be honest imo. Professional is the jobs you get if you know someone. You don't know anyone, so get a call center job and work your way to an admin or controller position.
3. Get your resume together by finding a template on reddit or somewhere else online and literally copying it. Then carefully edit it until you are happy with it. Working a resume is nothing to do with your ego or being the best skilled, it is a process of pure marketing. You can be out of work for 10 years and get work.
4. Financial literacy. No point earning money if you will waste it. Learn about budgets, saving, pensions, credit card benefits, etc. For instance if you ever invest in the S&P, find a platform that will not charge custody fees.
5. The right attitude. But that is the final thing you need. First you need 1. the right environment, 2. the right vacancies and 3. good marketing then 4. good money and time handling skills.

"Professional" jobs are never someone who worked their way up from the bottom and had a strong handshake blah blah, these are people who got given their careers. They didn't work hard or achieve. So if you're not a professional lawyer, tradesperson, economist etc. don't feel bad, these people were literally handed their jobs. And they don't feel good for that either. Physicians have double the suicide rate of the regular population. All that prestige is not free, there are always the "hidden costs"

Lost Magic

Lost Magic

Illuminated
May 5, 2020
I am the opposite of that. I don't ever want to be told to go back to work. If I ever got taken off disability I would end it, quicker. But there is a terrible stigma in our rotten society about people who don't work. We are used as scapegoats for the rich and powerful to plunder everything. Then they get all the brainwashed workers to hate against us to make themselves feel superior. In the end, we are all just cannon fodder for the Elites.

Reactions: Disappointered
F

Faustus

Mar 25, 2019
Yeah, for the first time on my life, in the last days also my inability to find a work has been added to the other reasons for suicide thoughts.
Having just 2-3 hours a day of "life" forces me to work just as part-time (with difficulties to get to 4 hours), so ridiculous pay and no sense at all to work...

• Hugs
Reactions: akana and newave3
Disappointered

Disappointered

Enlightened
Sep 21, 2020
I was fabricated irresponsibly for evil purposes. The fact that I (and my sibling...) could not find a place in this world, with lack of suitable career playing a major role from age 30 onward, has been a major contributor to my suicidality.

• Hugs
Reactions: whatevs and newave3
MountainMonkey

MountainMonkey

Student
Jun 17, 2022
jobs are created by society as a form of enslavement. We are meant to experience Mother Earth, to roam freely, connect with our spiritual self. The powers that be work hard to prevent that from happening

Reactions: akana and newave3
newave3

newave3

I want out
Nov 21, 2020
Getting a job requires you do the following:
1. Look at your area. Learn about the big recruitment agencies, local HQs and big companies, biggest employers, industrial estates, high streets, the town history. Understand why the town exists in the first place. It probably specialized in something: vehicles, vehicle sales, gas, utilities, law, flower arranging. This will give meaning to your job search. Maybe the area isn't right for you or you've been looking in the wrong place.
2. Look at the vacancies. You can usually split things into three general areas: manual labor, desk job/retail, professional. There is virtually always gigs going for the first two which most people can get even without certain soft or hard skills. Offices are too busy backstabbing to care if you're trained. Manual labor is something to avoid, to be honest imo. Professional is the jobs you get if you know someone. You don't know anyone, so get a call center job and work your way to an admin or controller position.
3. Get your resume together by finding a template on reddit or somewhere else online and literally copying it. Then carefully edit it until you are happy with it. Working a resume is nothing to do with your ego or being the best skilled, it is a process of pure marketing. You can be out of work for 10 years and get work.
4. Financial literacy. No point earning money if you will waste it. Learn about budgets, saving, pensions, credit card benefits, etc. For instance if you ever invest in the S&P, find a platform that will not charge custody fees.
5. The right attitude. But that is the final thing you need. First you need 1. the right environment, 2. the right vacancies and 3. good marketing then 4. good money and time handling skills.
Too much work.

Reactions: Disappointered and rationaltake
Josh007

Josh007

The number zero is feeling lonely...
Nov 30, 2020
It's made everything so much harder.I haven't been able to find another job like the last stable one. Also I won't even try going back because I was getting bullied and on top of that taken advantage of by others for my good work ethic. 😒
It's incredibly hard for me to find regular employment because I have a arthritis on my arm so I can't do general labor and don't have any technical experience. 🥲

Last edited: