R

ReallyTired

Oct 21, 2021
I'm really tired of taking antidepressants. They don't seem to work and I can't cope with the side effects. I've just read an article from somebody suffering from depression and ADHD, they claim that Aniracetam can be very helpful. I've already had a little success with Modafinil and Adrafinil, but it was a very short term success. Anybody found nootropics helpful?

• Hugs
Reactions: Sammie, ascetic_, Beeper and 1 other person
D

darkwater

Experienced
Apr 17, 2021
Kratom helps me

Reactions: prbreese01 and ascetic_
Celerity

Celerity

shape without form, shade without colour
Jan 24, 2021
I haven't tried nootropics, but I think keeping up on Vitamin D and avoiding sugary foods has helped me. Have you tried nutritional supplements or thought about your diet?

There's a lot of BS marketing out there with the aim of grabbing as much $$$ from you as possible, but there are also some inexpensive things you can do that might be worth a try.

FWIW, I understand your pain with antidepressants. We're far from alone. If they were as effective as advertised, treatment-resistant depression would not be as common as it is, and they wouldn't just barely beat sugar pills when tested alongside them in double-blind studies.

Last edited:
Reactions: bed
Dr Iron Arc

Dr Iron Arc

Into the Unknown
Feb 10, 2020
Nootropics haven't helped with depression, but they helped me perform slightly better at some games which might have made me feel slightly less depressed for a few fleeting moments…

Reactions: AMorteVivente and Beeper
pento

pento

Nov 12, 2021
Nootropics haven't helped with depression, but they helped me perform slightly better at some games which might have made me feel slightly less depressed for a few fleeting moments…
Makes sense

L

L-L

-
Nov 14, 2019
I've been looking into this for a short while now - could any body on this thread tell me a little more about their experience with Modafinil and other derivatives?

@ReallyTired I've always sworn by L-Theanine and Cold Macerated Lavender Oil. When my current grow has ended I will also begin microdosing magic mushrooms periodically throughout the year. There's a lot of potential in the use of psilocybin to help treat depression.

Reactions: Mixo
PursuitofWonder

PursuitofWonder

Student
Dec 12, 2020
True nootropics are gonna be weaker than actual antidepressants, the goal is to be subtle and quietly enhance cognition. They probably are not gonna do a whole lot to your depression but they're a bit helpful especially if you have Brain fog.

You might see Kratom, Phenibut, Cyclazadone, and other things being sold as nootropics when they are very much not nootropics. It doesn't mean they're bad but they are strong medications compared to actual nootropics so be sure to understand what that would entail. For the ones I listed:

Kratom: if you can manage your dose so you're not addicted, it can be helpful. It's a opiate plant, so yes it is addictive, but not strongly. I took it daily for 2 months and the withdrawal was about as bad as caffeine. But some people have a very hard time. It's a pleasant feeling and nice for functioning better when sad.

Phenibut: incredibly bad if you're depressed. It's quite strongly addictive. Acts on GABA indirectly. The high obviously is nice but it makes your depression worse. For anxiety I'd cautiously say it could work but it comes in a tub of power so very hard to manage use.

Cyclazodone: Stimulant, some people say it's helpful but it's reportedly at least mildly to moderately toxic to the liver

As for actual nootropics, the racetams may be mildly helpful, but it's even more subtle than modafanil so I'm not sure you'd find it to be effective.

Also just to be clear, even the strong meds that aren't actually nootropics. These do not treat your depression directly! They will at best mask it, which is totally fine if that works for you. But such as with kratom you only feel better for as long as it stays in your system. So you can feel better during the day but it may come back at night. Best of luck to you friend and sorry if this was a long read

Reactions: ReallyTired
Mixo

Mixo

Blue
Aug 2, 2020
L-tryptophan in the right doses (500 mg - 1000 mg daily) can work wonders for chronic depression.
I've heard anecdotally 5-htp helps some people.

• Informative
Reactions: hungry_ghost
C

cooldude420

Student
Aug 8, 2021
micro dose magik mushies help my frens. but not me

omega 3. me use omegabrite.

zinc halp me sleep

ThriveOrDie

ThriveOrDie

We are already in hell
Jul 11, 2019
Kittens are the best thing for depression! If you can take care of one or two…they are super fun and easy to take care of. I have also used BriteSide, lithium and dopa bean supplements and they give a subtle boost in mood.

Reactions: UpandDownPrincess
UpandDownPrincess

UpandDownPrincess

Elementalist
Dec 31, 2019
I get weekly B12 injections and they help a lot.

Most people get them monthly, but it turns out I'm so deficient and my body so inept at processing it through my digestive tract that I get them weekly.

They really are important for mental health. In fact, my psychiatrist is the one who prescribes them.

Also try vitamin D - especially D2. Lots of folks in my support group had good things to say about taking it and you can mega-dose orally once a week.

Reactions: Sammie, hungry_ghost and ThriveOrDie
J

Journeytoletgo

Broken and hated 7-14 years long overdue
May 14, 2018
First time hearing about nootropics 🤔

L

LittleJem

Visionary
Jul 3, 2019
Modafinil is good for depression - you can add it to SSRIs. See the Cambridge University research on this topic. Google Cambridge University Modafinil Depression. I'd put the link, but not in a good mood (life events shit) so ...

Reactions: L-L
AMorteVivente

AMorteVivente

The void is only scary until you truly suffer
Mar 15, 2020
As I said in a previous post, I am currently testing several nootropics.

'I am taking Aniracetam and Noopept, both nootropic medication. Aniracetam is not just a nootropic, but a treatment for anxiety and depression, and it works that way for me. I have 0 anxiety and an overall happy mood by taking it. In fact, I feel 'so happy' I don't even want to kill myself, and I have started to consider recovery after trying this med (technically it's a combo of Doxepine + Aniracetam). Noopept improves my cognitive performance, making my daily life much easier. Hell, it even made me have faster reflexes in competitive games! I feel like a pro player sometimes, which was rare before.' I take 1600 mg Aniracetam / day and 30 mg in sublingual tablets of Noopept / day.

I plan to ask for modafinil down the line (ideally armodafinil), I also want to test other racetams, specially 'phenylpiracetam' and 'sunifiram'. I am also taking l - teanine 400 mg / day (it gives me more energy) and bacopa moneri 250 mg / day (no clue if it works). My main goal is to have the 'perfect' stack, a 'good' permanent cognitive boost without side effects.

Reactions: Sammie
S

Sammie

Sep 2, 2022
I'm really tired of taking antidepressants. They don't seem to work and I can't cope with the side effects. I've just read an article from somebody suffering from depression and ADHD, they claim that Aniracetam can be very helpful. I've already had a little success with Modafinil and Adrafinil, but it was a very short term success. Anybody found nootropics helpful?
Modafinil only helped me for a little while, though Vyvanse is what really helped me long term. It was a miracle drug, like no other; antidepressants never helped me either.