BetweenRadioStations

BetweenRadioStations

Student
Aug 10, 2021
Curious if any of you have dabbled or are in ACA? (Adult Children of Alcoholics and Dysfunctional Families)

I'm doing it and want to know if any of you are.

Peace ✌️

Reactions: Celerity
UsagiDrop

UsagiDrop

“What a beautiful day to haunt the earth.”
Apr 27, 2023
Didn't even know that something like that existed, but now that I do, I'm kind of interested.

Are you (and anyone else reading who may attend) enjoying the meetings so far and finding that they're valuable or are things kind of meh?

Reactions: deafening
Upvote 0
BetweenRadioStations

BetweenRadioStations

Student
Aug 10, 2021
Didn't even know that something like that existed, but now that I do, I'm kind of interested.

Are you (and anyone else reading who may attend) enjoying the meetings so far and finding that they're valuable or are things kind of meh?
I personally find them helpful

• Love
  • Informative
Reactions: Celerity, deafening, SoftWorries and 1 other person
Upvote 0
bijou

bijou

meow meow meow
Jan 23, 2023
no, but i find this info very helpful <3

• Love
Reactions: BetweenRadioStations
Upvote 0
P

peaches

Student
Oct 19, 2022
Many years ago, I discovered ACA meetings. I started to attend some and initially found it soothing because I related to the profile of children of very dysfunctional families.
There was no alcohol in my family, but other traits and circumstances that led to a similar psychological dynamic.
The meetings made me feel less alone with my debilitating emotional pain.
But I am not a "god" or higher power follower.
Some groups, most of them, push god and some push jesus as the ONLY option. They pay lip service to "any higher power" and all of that is a giant turn off.
I don't believe in religion (cults) fairy tales, or any invisible entity to "turn over" all responsibility for my actions, success, failure, etc.
I am the only one responsible for myself.
Hence, as many on this site, I should have choice in all matters pertaining to me. No invisible entity is going to fix me. I will never buy that.
So 12 step groups ultimately offend me.
Again, it's choice. If these beliefs work for someone, good. But not for me.

• Hugs
Reactions: Celerity
Upvote 0
A

adrenalinejunkie

Sep 22, 2023
I grew up in a very dysfunctional family and instead of alcohol it was my sister getting sexually abused by my dad. I spent years in a 12 step program and had a good experience. I think the best part of it was not the meetings but meeting someone (a sponsor) that I really connected with and became what will probably always be my best friend. This has been so long ago now but we talked about everything with no reservation including suicide. I remember us saying we don't want to kill ourselves but wish we could "just stop being here". Sadly he passed away not long ago (not suicide). I would go check it out and unless you just really hate it off the bat give it some time.

Upvote 0
Celerity

Celerity

shape without form, shade without colour
Jan 24, 2021
Glad to find somebody else who has gone to them! I did group therapy for a while. I should have continued, as I got a lot out of it. After my experience, I am inclined to think that group therapy is the secret sauce for recovery. No one wants to feel alone. It was so refreshing to know that I wasn't the only one struggling. I also got a lot of insight about my childhood through them. Their setup is a little old school, but I think they have the potential to help all ages. I think it's a shame that they aren't more popular.

• Love
Reactions: BetweenRadioStations
Upvote 0