margomoors

margomoors

Margo D Moors-Voluntario
Feb 21, 2020
I find some relaxation in writing in my spare time, but I don't know other writers to share my work with. I'd like to share and read others' work and share constructive criticism and generally discuss the writing we create. I feel having this sort of connection would surely improve my own writing skills and, if you're interested, could improve yours as well. If you'd like, you can message me if you have writing you'd like to share or might enjoy reading my intermediate level work! I enjoy all works of writing from poetry to short stories to fan-fictions; personally I write poetry and the occasional short story.

If you're not interested in sharing your work, you can still share your writing experiences and writing advice on this thread if you'd like!

What sort of genre(s) do you gravitate towards?
Do you switch up the tone and/or mood in each of your works or do you generally keep it the same? (And do you do this on purpose?)
What are your greatest writing strengths? Weaknesses?
Is there a particular author that has influenced your writing?

I'd just enjoy seeing the differences we have as writers and what sort of wisdom you all can share, even if it's as simple as knowing exactly when to use a semicolon (something I still struggle with)

Last edited:
Reactions: Deleted member 17331, Sensei, josainsplorgat and 2 others
josainsplorgat

josainsplorgat

Feb 24, 2020
hey margomoors :) i've been writing for 15 yrs mainly dark poetry but slowed down a lot recently just sort of lost the urge
as far as author influences off the top - carlton mellick, cormac mccarthy, sam pink, chad kultgen, bukowski, raymond carver, king, koontz, rothfuss, etc
feel free to send me some of ur stuff here or in private message can't promise much of a response unless you're asking for specific feedback

Reactions: Deleted member 17331, margomoors, Sensei and 1 other person
A

ArtsyDrawer

Enlightened
Nov 8, 2018
When I get the strength to write (which I like, but usually unable to do), I like fantasy, primarily aliens. Secret societies are nice, but it feels like writing about the overly rich.
Humans are often involved. Sometimes there's a war, some kind of conflict.
Aliens are difficult to deal with, though. You can't have an alien named Bob. I mean, yeah, you can, but it feels a little too Earthly. The weirdass names people give to aliens, like Alquitargen, or some shit like that doesn't sit well with me either. I like writing about aliens, I don't like naming them.
Magic and SciFi are pretty much interchangeable in my book. Both involve intricate, confusing runes, except one side is made of math and imaginary numbers.
On a semi related note, what the FUCK is an "imaginary number"?!
Actually, no, don't tell me. There's too much bullshit in this world already. I like my comfort zone with integers, decimals, and fractions. REAL math, you know? Actual, readable and understandable math. Certainly, I don't understand all math, but that's not my job, that's what we have scientists for.
I'm rather proud of somebody on r/writingprompts saying I write like Dostoyevski, although I still don't know whether it's an insult or a compliment.

Reactions: margomoors, josainsplorgat, Sensei and 1 other person
E

Epsilon0

Enlightened
Dec 28, 2019
I write like Dostoyevski, although I still don't know whether it's an insult or a compliment

The man was a genius and every page he ever wrote is a masterpiece!

Reactions: Jean Améry, margomoors and josainsplorgat
margomoors

margomoors

Margo D Moors-Voluntario
Feb 21, 2020
You can't have an alien named Bob. I mean, yeah, you can, but it feels a little too Earthly. The weirdass names people give to aliens, like Alquitargen, or some shit like that doesn't sit well with me either. I like writing about aliens, I don't like naming them.
My immediate thought was to number the aliens instead of naming them. But then the question of how numbers would sound or be written in their language came to mind and it'd just be the same kind of problem. Depending on the point of view and the actual plot, you could always have the classic "human character gives the alien a name" kind of thing or "alien's name translates to 'X' so we call them 'X' now." But just like having a goofy name like Sloobarg, it can just seem too cheesy (especially if the story has a serious tone) or plain overused. Sci-fi stories seem somewhat frustrating to write, but I'm more of a sci-fi consumer than creator.

TheSoulless

TheSoulless

I'd like to fly but my wings have been so denied
Jan 7, 2020
I would like to write but I always end up thinking there's no point...

D

draw a circle

out.
Apr 10, 2020
I like writing, but never published it anywhere (only once on a forum, co-writing with my friends). Usually I write something close to slice of life, like two people being together as friends or budding relationships. Sometimes I build a world but only write about the people inside it instead of the world in its entirety, but lately I write to vent about what I'm currently feeling. I have a few OCs and about three of them I use to vent my feelings on. I like to read fanfics too, and I absolutely can't write poems.

This website (forgot the name) told me I write like Stephen King, and while I only read a few of his books I do like the ones I read. They're just so fucked up and creepy and even if there are no ghosts I still enjoy it (like The Long Walk). I don't know how it influences me, but I think it's because I like to write long, dramatic paragraph about what my character is feeling. I don't read a lot anymore, but I like mystery/detective novels and adventure novels. My current favorite is The Song of Achilles and Six of Crows.

My weakness is writing dialogues. I don't know how to act like a human being (lol). Most of my OCs are teen/young adult boys and I'm not one of them, and I don't have a large circle of friends so my human interaction is limited. I'm not all that bad in talking to people, but the hard part is casual, funny conversations.

That's all! I can't offer advice because I don't know anything; except maybe to keep reading and writing. Good luck to y'all!

Reactions: margomoors and TheSoulless