• Hey Guest,

If you would still like to donate, you still can. We have more than enough funds to cover operating expenses for quite a while, so don't worry about donating if you aren't able. If you want to donate something other than what is listed, you can contact RainAndSadness.

Bitcoin Address (BTC): 39deg9i6Zp1GdrwyKkqZU6rAbsEspvLBJt

Ethereum (ETH): 0xd799aF8E2e5cEd14cdb344e6D6A9f18011B79BE9

Monero (XMR): 49tuJbzxwVPUhhDjzz6H222Kh8baKe6rDEsXgE617DVSDD8UKNaXvKNU8dEVRTAFH9Av8gKkn4jDzVGF25snJgNfUfKKNC8

ScottPilgram

ScottPilgram

slime guy, xe/xem it/its
Feb 2, 2019
Sometimes when I play certain videogames it can make me really depressed. It sounds silly but one summer I was addicted to Stardew Valley and played it every single day almost none stop. I ended up marrying Elliott in the game and got too emotionally attached to the character. then I divorced him and married Shane but felt so awful about it I deleted the game and it's data off my computer (too bad steam cloud exists). I was depressed about hurting a digital character for months on end I felt like I just broke up with my soul mate. I laugh about it now but back then it hurt. Spiderman for the PS4 is the new game affecting me like this but that's because of the story. Somehow I get too emotionally attached. How about you?

Reactions: Chlo, Wolfjob_dayjob, therhydler and 6 others
D

daemonblight

Jun 26, 2018
I thought I was the only one, quite honestly. I get more easily attached to fictional worlds or characters more than real, living humans. For example, when I played Persona 2 for the first time I choose the wrong dialogue option and
Yukino's Shadowself killed herself, destroying the real Yukino's psyche, turning her into a vegetable
. I cried constantly for two hours straight and felt like a
murderer
. Luckily, I had a save file a couple of hours prior to the event so I could fix my mistakes.
Anyway, I can definitely relate to what you're saying.

Reactions: therhydler, Deafsn0w, ScottPilgram and 1 other person
Koal

Koal

Student
Dec 16, 2018
I've been playing Fable II all day for the last four days. It has a lot of emotional value for me because it was one the games I got with my Xbox 360 and was the first game I fell in love with on the 360. 10 years later and it's the only game I still play on it.

Reactions: Wolfjob_dayjob, therhydler, Deafsn0w and 2 others
15dec

15dec

ember in the dark
Dec 7, 2018
A cried a little bit playing a horror vn called Lake of Voices yesterday, I related to one of the characters a lot and the ending I got wasn't pleasant, to say the least.

Evoland's ending got to me as well, and the Stardew Valley intro/prologue upset me the tiniest bit too when I first saw it.

I also got really attached to the Danganronpa characters and the storyline in general. I watched the anime too as well as watching playthroughs of the games and I think I cried half the time, even my friend got emotional over the series.

Reactions: RaphtaliaTwoAnimals, Wolfjob_dayjob, therhydler and 2 others
Angst Filled Fuck Up

Angst Filled Fuck Up

Visionary
Sep 9, 2018
Since pretty much my whole life = nostalgia, I tend to re-play old titles over and over. When I say old, I mean old. Like I play Command and Conquer (1996) and Baldur's Gate (1998) all the time, as well as Clive Barker's Undying (2001). I also still play WoW and have on and off since 2005. Those represented simpler times for me, and I always feel better when I play them. It's as if my cares are stripped away and I'm younger again.

Reactions: RaphtaliaTwoAnimals, Wolfjob_dayjob, wiIIow and 5 others
21Neberg

21Neberg

Enlightened
Dec 17, 2018
Single player games make me feel even more lonely since they're single player, and thus no other people. That's why I usually play multiplayer titles like Battlefield and y'all to squad mates so I don't feel so incredibly lonely:

Reactions: RaphtaliaTwoAnimals, Wolfjob_dayjob, therhydler and 3 others
ScottPilgram

ScottPilgram

slime guy, xe/xem it/its
Feb 2, 2019
Single player games make me feel even more lonely since they're single player, and thus no other people. That's why I usually play multiplayer titles like Battlefield and y'all to squad mates so I don't feel so incredibly lonely:
I can see how, I'm guessing you don't even get attached to the NPCs? I mean they are computers but sometimes it feels nice idk. Like a hat in time and Half Life

ScottPilgram

ScottPilgram

slime guy, xe/xem it/its
Feb 2, 2019
Since pretty much my whole life = nostalgia, I tend to re-play old titles over and over. When I say old, I mean old. Like I play Command and Conquer (1996) and Baldur's Gate (1998) all the time, as well as Clive Barker's Undying (2001). I also still play WoW and have on and off since 2005. Those represented simpler times for me, and I always feel better when I play them. It's as if my cares are stripped away and I'm younger again.
Yes videogames are often used as an escape so it's understandable. It's always nice to have those memories held in something so nice.

ScottPilgram

ScottPilgram

slime guy, xe/xem it/its
Feb 2, 2019
A cried a little bit playing a horror vn called Lake of Voices yesterday, I related to one of the characters a lot and the ending I got wasn't pleasant, to say the least.

Evoland's ending got to me as well, and the Stardew Valley intro/prologue upset me the tiniest bit too when I first saw it.

I also got really attached to the Danganronpa characters and the storyline in general. I watched the anime too as well as watching playthroughs of the games and I think I cried half the time, even my friend got emotional over the series.
Ugh I almost stopped playinng Dangan Ronpa when
Sakura died and then my soul shattered
. Then I fell in love with Toko after UDG. It's such an emotionally exahsting game.

Plankter

Plankter

欠陥人
Aug 14, 2018
Undertale. It's my favorite game ever. I almost cried while watching the closing credits at the pacifist ending

Reactions: RaphtaliaTwoAnimals, Wolfjob_dayjob, wiIIow and 3 others
21Neberg

21Neberg

Enlightened
Dec 17, 2018
I can see how, I'm guessing you don't even get attached to the NPCs? I mean they are computers but sometimes it feels nice idk. Like a hat in time and Half Life
No, they're computers with set responses and voice lines. I'm too aware of that which is why they can't lessen my loneliness.

ScottPilgram

ScottPilgram

slime guy, xe/xem it/its
Feb 2, 2019
No, they're computers with set responses and voice lines. I'm too aware of that which is why they can't lessen my loneliness.
I wish I could realize that, I find myself so desperate to continue their diolauge after I've exahsted all options that I scour the internet for mods. That's how I got the Nick Valentine relationship mod for Fallout 4. But he only had so much to say. It made me cry because I was so desperate for anything. You are lucky, gg

21Neberg

21Neberg

Enlightened
Dec 17, 2018
I wish I could realize that, I find myself so desperate to continue their diolauge after I've exahsted all options that I scour the internet for mods. That's how I got the Nick Valentine relationship mod for Fallout 4. But he only had so much to say. It made me cry because I was so desperate for anything. You are lucky, gg
Nick valentine certainly is a great guy, I love him too. But why am I lucky?

Reactions: RaphtaliaTwoAnimals, therhydler and Deafsn0w
ScottPilgram

ScottPilgram

slime guy, xe/xem it/its
Feb 2, 2019
Nick valentine certainly is a great guy, I love him too. But why am I lucky?
Because videogame characters can make or break my mood at any moment and trigger spireling depression that lasts a long time but if I wasn't attached to them it wouldn't trigger those emotions because I would understand better

21Neberg

21Neberg

Enlightened
Dec 17, 2018
Because videogame characters can make or break my mood at any moment and trigger spireling depression that lasts a long time but if I wasn't attached to them it wouldn't trigger those emotions because I would understand better
I'm sorry about that :(

Reactions: RaphtaliaTwoAnimals, Wolfjob_dayjob, Deafsn0w and 1 other person
ScottPilgram

ScottPilgram

slime guy, xe/xem it/its
Feb 2, 2019
Reactions: RaphtaliaTwoAnimals, Deafsn0w, therhydler and 1 other person
Misanthrope

Misanthrope

Mage
Oct 23, 2018
There is one game that profoundly affected me in my youth. So much so that even though I have a copy on steam I can't bring myself to install it or even play it again. Not sure why I bought it really beyond just wanting to have it again, like it may one day vanish and be gone...

The game is called Planescape: Torment. My home life then was its own variety of hell. So I escaped into games frequently. This game though was very special with its amazing thought-provoking dialogue. Intriguing factions and deep characters. I became quite attached to Fall from Grace. It is a game that explores themes of losing yourself and remaking yourself while enduring great suffering. I can't comment further without spoiling it and that would be a crime against rich storytelling and dialogue that as yet I have not seen matched anywhere. (If you do play the game take a high Int stat to really appreciate the meaningful depth.) One faction in the game kind of really helped me cope and deal with my home life. To the point, I adopted its philosophy and discovered its softer real-world equivalent. Which helped me gain some strength and has served me well since. I will always hold that game in such high esteem and have a deep love for that game because of it. But at the same time, it provokes a great deal of emotion bordering on the true definition of being triggering. Maybe because the protagonist was soaking up pain and navigating layers of hell as was I. Torn by the question of self-destruction to end torment or remaking myself. Very profound indeed.

I have been told the Persona games play with equally deep psychology.

Reactions: RaphtaliaTwoAnimals, Wolfjob_dayjob, Deafsn0w and 1 other person
ScottPilgram

ScottPilgram

slime guy, xe/xem it/its
Feb 2, 2019
There is one game that profoundly affected me in my youth. So much so that even though I have a copy on steam I can't bring myself to install it or even play it again. Not sure why I bought it really beyond just wanting to have it again, like it may one day vanish and be gone...

The game is called Planescape: Torment. My home life then was its own variety of hell. So I escaped into games frequently. This game though was very special with its amazing thought-provoking dialogue. Intriguing factions and deep characters. I became quite attached to Fall from Grace. It is a game that explores themes of losing yourself and remaking yourself while enduring great suffering. I can't comment further without spoiling it and that would be a crime against rich storytelling and dialogue that as yet I have not seen matched anywhere. (If you do play the game take a high Int stat to really appreciate the meaningful depth.) One faction in the game kind of really helped me cope and deal with my home life. To the point, I adopted its philosophy and discovered its softer real-world equivalent. Which helped me gain some strength and has served me well since. I will always hold that game in such high esteem and have a deep love for that game because of it. But at the same time, it provokes a great deal of emotion bordering on the true definition of being triggering. Maybe because the protagonist was soaking up pain and navigating layers of hell as was I. Torn by the question of self-destruction to end torment or remaking myself. Very profound indeed.

I have been told the Persona games play with equally deep psychology.
Wow. You painted a picture of this game so well i might actually pick it up. Thank you for replying to this thread.

Reactions: RaphtaliaTwoAnimals and Deafsn0w
wiIIow

wiIIow

Arcanist
Sep 22, 2018
A couple games are 100% guaranteed to produce tears every time: Journey, and Undertale. Journey is a really beautiful and unique game, and manages to make me feel very deep emotions with absolutely no dialogue, other than "chirping" at other players you may run into during your journey. Undertale... god, so good.
Undertale. It's my favorite game ever. I almost cried while watching the closing credits at the pacifist ending
Almost? I must be very weak then because I am a sobbing mess every single time. That, and as soon as the first note hits in this part...

I am a weak little baby and cannot control myself

One game that really affected me as a kid was Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask. Those were turbulent times, and something about that game was very calming to me. I was so invested in the individual stories of all the people I was helping, and the whole "saving the world from destruction via very angry Moon Man" was appealing to me at the time. I felt I was making a difference in the lives of these computer generated people.

Here's a big one: Animal Crossing New Leaf
This game came out during a time when I was very alone, and dealing with many brand new symptoms of mental illness which had me feeling very confused and afraid. This game carried me through much of that, it was very comforting to be able to visit this town full of cute little animals that care about me and are always excited to see me. The atmosphere in the game is so serene and akin to being wrapped up in a warm blanket in front of the fireplace on a rainy night. Unfortunately, I was a budding alcoholic and sold all of my video games for booze money. I have since bought the game again, and have maintained the same town for two years now.

Stardew valley sorta pulled on the same strings in me, and I did play it obsessively for a while.

I could ramble on forever on the subject, I get very emotionally attached to video game characters. I can't really get as immersed as I used to, but it's still an escape I enjoy from time to time.

Reactions: RaphtaliaTwoAnimals, Wolfjob_dayjob, Plankter and 2 others
Misanthrope

Misanthrope

Mage
Oct 23, 2018
@ScottPilgram It is a great game but the combat can be very irritating in places.

@Willow What is so good about Undertale that you can tell me without spoiling it? It is pretty low cost right now. But watching the trailer is making me confused lol. I used to play a lot of the Harvest moon games. Pretty much all of them to be honest… Great stress relief but couldn't get on with animal crossing. Tom Nook represents everything I hate, his character actually started to bug me especially when he would not take no for an answer. Stardew Valley is my new favourite in that genre. I am pretty desperate to be immersed in something these days.

Reactions: RaphtaliaTwoAnimals and Deafsn0w
wiIIow

wiIIow

Arcanist
Sep 22, 2018
@ScottPilgram It is a great game but the combat can be very irritating in places.

@Willow What is so good about Undertale that you can tell me without spoiling it? It is pretty low cost right now. But watching the trailer is making me confused lol. I used to play a lot of the Harvest moon games. Pretty much all of them to be honest… Great stress relief but couldn't get on with animal crossing. Tom Nook represents everything I hate, his character actually started to bug me especially when he would not take no for an answer. Stardew Valley is my new favourite in that genre. I am pretty desperate to be immersed in something these days.

It's actually kinda hard to describe Undertale without spoiling anything, but you'll definitely like it if you ever played/enjoyed the Earthbound series. They both are very similar in feel
Other than that... it's just an incredible storytelling experience, with unique RPG elements and gimmicks. The world is very interactive, with pretty much every object or creature on the overworld layout having some bit of quirky dialogue or description. I also love the humor in the game, Toby Fox did a wonderful job with creating this lighthearted and hilarious, yet serious and emotional story. Your choices also affect many aspects to the game, from small little dialogue changes to altering the ending. The whole game usually only takes 5 - 6 hours per run, and that entire time is jam-packed with quality content.

Plus you get to date a skeleton and have a goat for a mom, so there's that.

Reactions: RaphtaliaTwoAnimals, Wolfjob_dayjob and Misanthrope
ScottPilgram

ScottPilgram

slime guy, xe/xem it/its
Feb 2, 2019

Like Willow said. The storytelling is amazing and the choices you get to make. It was different enough to warrent all 3 play throughs for me. The music also helps a lot and there's some really beautiful areas.

Reactions: RaphtaliaTwoAnimals, Wolfjob_dayjob, wiIIow and 1 other person
Misanthrope

Misanthrope

Mage
Oct 23, 2018
Just left the first monster, was really quite moved by how game mechanics were used to meaningfully convey something you rarely see in games. Definitely, think I will enjoy this!

Reactions: RaphtaliaTwoAnimals, Wolfjob_dayjob, ScottPilgram and 1 other person
wiIIow

wiIIow

Arcanist
Sep 22, 2018
Just left the first monster, was really quite moved by how game mechanics were used to meaningfully convey something you rarely see in games. Definitely, think I will enjoy this!

Oh boy. If you enjoy that, fasten your fucking seatbelt my friend.
I really hope you get as much out of the experience as I did

Reactions: RaphtaliaTwoAnimals and Misanthrope
Kyrok

Kyrok

Paragon
Nov 6, 2018
I once looked forward to playing video games when I retire. Big fan of FPS.
My eyesight, however, has gotten so bad, that I can't play them any longer.
No game is depressing for me, but the fact that I can't see well enough to play them sure is.

Reactions: RaphtaliaTwoAnimals and Wolfjob_dayjob
C

CJM

Experienced
Jul 13, 2018
I really wish I can play The Last Of Us again for the first time. What a swansong for the PS3.

Reactions: Chlo, RaphtaliaTwoAnimals, Wolfjob_dayjob and 1 other person
B

Buddyluv19

Experienced
Dec 13, 2018
1987 - Super Mario brothers. My boyfriend's niece and nephew were playing it at 7 AM on full volume while I was trying to sleep after flying in at 3 in the morning. Definitely affected my mood - I was pissed!

Reactions: RaphtaliaTwoAnimals and ScottPilgram
Wolfjob_dayjob

Wolfjob_dayjob

Student
Oct 19, 2018
Doki Doki literature club made me apathetic and sad.
Undertale already covered.(a other medium is the BEST song)
Even Yume No Nikki and FLOW 's pixelated horror can scare me. Why do I play these games.
Borderlands and Bayonetta are my feeling ok and competent games lately.
Stardew Valley=bittersweet. Good simple nostalgic feelings. You can't mess up and change will come and it will be okay....

Reactions: Mendex, RaphtaliaTwoAnimals, wiIIow and 2 others