Sweet Release

Sweet Release

Experienced
Nov 24, 2019
I know this is really off topic and random but I was wondering if anybody else here likes the work of JRR Tolkien?

I used to read and love his books as a child.
Also I enjoyed the film adaptations.
That magical world full of adventure, imagination and the power of friendship really resinated with me.

Now in the darkest days of my life when I contemplate suicide every single day I have found myself returning to those beloved books who have been like old friends to me.
I do it for comfort and to draw some hope that a better life may still be possible.
Always I remember that beautiful quote -

"All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

From the ashes a fire shall be woken,
A light from the shadows shall spring;
Renewed shall be blade that was broken,
The crownless again shall be king."

I guess I'm getting a little sentimental and way too emotional.
Anyway, anybody else a fan?

Last edited:
  • Love
  • Hugs
Reactions: puppy9, Wisdom3_1-9, Weeping Garbage Can and 5 others
W

Worthless_nobody

Enlightened
Feb 14, 2019
Me! I absolutely love the Lord of the Rings series and The Hobbit both books and movies. I love the magical world and all the characters. It's like a feeling of bitter sweet nostalgia because I remember that I actually did enjoy things before all the abuse and trauma in my life and those books and their magical world was one of the things. That is an amazing beautiful profound quote.❤️

• Love
Reactions: Sensei and Sweet Release
Sweet Release

Sweet Release

Experienced
Nov 24, 2019
Me! I absolutely love the Lord of the Rings series and The Hobbit both books and movies. I love the magical world and all the characters. It's like a feeling of bitter sweet nostalgia because I remember that I actually did enjoy things before all the abuse and trauma in my life and those books and their magical world was one of the things. That is an amazing beautiful profound quote.❤

"bitter sweet nostalgia because I remember that I actually did enjoy things before all the abuse and trauma in my life".
I guess when you have lived in darkness for so long its hard to imagine a time without trauma and a time when happiness was a reality.
Thank you for your reply and I respect you for being so open.

• Love
Reactions: Worthless_nobody
D

Deleted member 1465

_
Jul 31, 2018
I read the book twice as a kid and enjoyed it immensely. The balrog scene in Moria was a work of art. I thought the films were an excellent adaptation of the books. They even left out some boring bits and added in some more interesting stuff only alluded to in the books. And the MMO is pretty good too, helps that the community is one of the nicest I've met, probably cuz they are all Tolkien geeks!
Tolkien could over do it a bit though, the fact that he actually created languages for the books and the prehistoric Silmarillion was dedication to the extreme.

• Love
Reactions: Lost in a Dream, Worthless_nobody, Sensei and 1 other person
Sweet Release

Sweet Release

Experienced
Nov 24, 2019
I read the book twice as a kid and enjoyed it immensely. The balrog scene in Moria was a work of art. I thought the films were an excellent adaptation of the books. They even left out some boring bits and added in some more interesting stuff only alluded to in the books. And the MMO is pretty good too, helps that the community is one of the nicest I've met, probably cuz they are all Tolkien geeks!
Tolkien could over do it a bit though, the fact that he actually created languages for the books and the prehistoric Silmarillion was dedication to the extreme.

I never played the MMO but I am glad the community were decent people.
Yeah that Balrog scene; so iconic!

D

Deleted member 1465

_
Jul 31, 2018
I never played the MMO but I am glad the community were decent people.
Yeah that Balrog scene; so iconic!
Iconic! That was the word I was looking for!
The MMO is free to download and play, though you have to start buying stuff in at a certain level, unless you do nothing but play to earn Turbine Points. But you can actually go on a pub crawl around the Shire!

Reactions: Sweet Release
Sarahlynn

Sarahlynn

Deep breath, stand back, it's time.
Aug 19, 2020
Not sure if I can qualify as hardcore fan, but I do love LOTR. Only read those, the hobbit and silmarillion.

I see many here say they like the movies. I found the LOTR ones good, but why oh why did they ditch the scouring of the Shire?? I loved that part of the books so much, it was just so unexpected, and wholesome, and glorious. And I was so excited to see it on screen, but they freaking cut it out. Major disappointment. I was fairly happy up until that point.

I hate the hobbit movies. They "hollywoodified" the shit out of one of my all time favourite books, and I just can't forgive that. The story is so good by itself.

Reactions: Lost in a Dream and Sweet Release
Sweet Release

Sweet Release

Experienced
Nov 24, 2019
Not sure if I can qualify as hardcore fan, but I do love LOTR. Only read those, the hobbit and silmarillion.

I see many here say they like the movies. I found the LOTR ones good, but why oh why did they ditch the scouring of the Shire?? I loved that part of the books so much, it was just so unexpected, and wholesome, and glorious. And I was so excited to see it on screen, but they freaking cut it out. Major disappointment. I was fairly happy up until that point.

I hate the hobbit movies. They "hollywoodified" the shit out of one of my all time favourite books, and I just can't forgive that. The story is so good by itself.

Yeah I was disappointed that they left the scouring of The Shire out as well.
Its important as its when all the hobbits they left back at home learn to stand up for themselves.

Reactions: Sarahlynn
Green Destiny

Green Destiny

Life isn't worth the trouble.
Nov 16, 2019
I read the Hobbit and the LOTR trilogy a few years back and loved it. Definitely enjoyed the Trilogy the most. Way before that though I watched the movies with my dad and siblings, it meant a lot to him because he too grew up reading Tolkiens works and he read to books to my siblings before I was born. I still have memories of watching Return of the king in theaters, and he teared up during the Gray Havens scene but I didn't truly understand why. After I read the last chapter I finally understood why. The movies were superb in their adaption but the books for obvious reasons have way way more story to tell (can't cram every last page into a movie series without it being possibly 8 to 12 hours per movie haha) wish they did better portraying the Ents in the films though, in the Books they're badass and won't stand for Saruman's betrayal.

Hard to think of a favorite part in the books, but Sam entering Mordor alone after Frodo has been captured is very harrowing and emboldening at the same time. Here's a picture from Ted Nasmith who makes really awesome Pictures from Tolkiens world and Game of Thrones.
TN Sam Enters Mordor Alone

• Love
D

Deleted member 1465

_
Jul 31, 2018
Cool video on the wizards.

There is one change I would have made to the films. This scene here at around the two minute mark, pan to Gandalf and he utters one quiet word...

"Shit."

Last edited:
Sweet Release

Sweet Release

Experienced
Nov 24, 2019
I read the Hobbit and the LOTR trilogy a few years back and loved it. Definitely enjoyed the Trilogy the most. Way before that though I watched the movies with my dad and siblings, it meant a lot to him because he too grew up reading Tolkiens works and he read to books to my siblings before I was born. I still have memories of watching Return of the king in theaters, and he teared up during the Gray Havens scene but I didn't truly understand why. After I read the last chapter I finally understood why. The movies were superb in their adaption but the books for obvious reasons have way way more story to tell (can't cram every last page into a movie series without it being possibly 8 to 12 hours per movie haha) wish they did better portraying the Ents in the films though, in the Books they're badass and won't stand for Saruman's betrayal.

Hard to think of a favorite part in the books, but Sam entering Mordor alone after Frodo has been captured is very harrowing and emboldening at the same time. Here's a picture from Ted Nasmith who makes really awesome Pictures from Tolkiens world and Game of Thrones.
View attachment 43029

That picture is amazing!
Yeah that part of the book where Sam decides to make the rest of the journey alone is heart breaking but so courageous.
Thanks for commenting.
Cool video on the wizards.

There is one change I would have made to the films. This scene here at around the two minute mark, pan to Gandalf and he utters one quiet word...

"Shit."

Ha! Yeah that would have been funny.

Last edited:
Ness

Ness

They/Them pronouns, please
Aug 28, 2019
Spent a good part of my childhood either reading LotR or watching the movies, also read a few other of his books of course but LotR was always my favorite set of works. I currently own the version where all three books are in one. A thousand pages and I've read them all over and over and over. So I would like to think I'm a Tolkien fan even if I'm not allknowing. (: Thanks for starting this thread, I'll definitely be following it.

• Love
  • Hugs
Reactions: Weeping Garbage Can and Sweet Release
Sweet Release

Sweet Release

Experienced
Nov 24, 2019
Spent a good part of my childhood either reading LotR or watching the movies, also read a few other of his books of course but LotR was always my favorite set of works. I currently own the version where all three books are in one. A thousand pages and I've read them all over and over and over. So I would like to think I'm a Tolkien fan even if I'm not allknowing. (: Thanks for starting this thread, I'll definitely be following it.

You are very welcome.
Thank you for contributing to it.

• Love
Reactions: Ness
Ren Elsie Jewelria

Ren Elsie Jewelria

I sneezed!
Aug 30, 2020
Me! But only books, not those horrible, offensive movies.

Reactions: Sweet Release and Sarahlynn
Sinai Silence

Sinai Silence

I think I'ma die alone inside my room
Jul 6, 2020
The Silmarillion is Lord of the Rings on steroids I love that book. I wasn't a huge fan of the Hobbit personally, felt like half the book was Bilbo complaining about how hungry he was lol Tolkien books are a cherished part of my childhood either way.

• Love
W

Wisdom3_1-9

he/him/his
Jul 19, 2020
Me! But only books, not those horrible, offensive movies.
*gasp* I love the movies. I don't like "The Hobbit" movies, to be honest, but I think the LOTR trilogy is exceptional - perhaps my favorite book-to-movie adaptation ever, besides "The Shawshank Redemption".

The Silmarillion is Lord of the Rings on steroids I love that book. I wasn't a huge fan of the Hobbit personally, felt like half the book was Bilbo complaining about how hungry he was lol Tolkien books are a cherished part of my childhood either way.
I actually enjoy "The Hobbit" more than the LOTR books. "The Hobbit" is basically a children's book, in the vein of "Harry Potter" and "Narnia" that focuses on the storytelling. The other Tolkien works are more journalistic in their style and focus on the creation and expansion of the whole fictional world, which is impressive in its own right. And of course a Hobbit's going to complain if he hasn't had his second breakfast! ^_^

• Love
Reactions: Lost in a Dream, Sweet Release, Deleted member 1465 and 1 other person
After The End

After The End

The lily whispers, “I wait.”
Jul 31, 2019
Huge Tolkien fan. Have read everything multiple times including Letters and the HOME series. Written hundreds, maybe about a thousand, Tolkien answers on Quora. Used to be one of the most-viewed authors in that section. A number went viral. Was planning to do a Tolkien podcast but I don't think it's going to happen.

• Love
Reactions: Sweet Release
Racon

Racon

Student
Aug 29, 2020
There is one change I would have made to the films. This scene here at around the two minute mark, pan to Gandalf and he utters one quiet word
That scene always annoyed me with how their formation is just a big unorganised blob... and then they just charge out recklessly. It ruins for me what should be a great moment. They would have bought Frodo more time with some shield wall formations, protecting their flanks, skirmishing, etc. I mean it's not as bad as some stuff Jackson did in The Hobbit trilogy. And it's not even the worst case of bad tactics in the movie (Faramir's attack on Osgiliath), but that scene is meant to be so pivotal.

D

Deleted member 1465

_
Jul 31, 2018
That scene always annoyed me with how their formation is just a big unorganised blob... and then they just charge out recklessly. It ruins for me what should be a great moment. They would have bought Frodo more time with some shield wall formations, protecting their flanks, skirmishing, etc. I mean it's not as bad as some stuff Jackson did in The Hobbit trilogy. And it's not even the worst case of bad tactics in the movie (Faramir's attack on Osgiliath), but that scene is meant to be so pivotal.
I noted that too. What's the plan? Run towards the enemy screaming and allow ourselves to be outflanked and surrounded? Sounds cool, boss! I think it was a certain amount of cinematic license, to show a last ditch, out-numbered stand, a la Thermopyle.

Reactions: Lost in a Dream
woxihuanni

woxihuanni

Illuminated
Aug 19, 2019
I love the books to the degree that I've refused to watch the movies. The languages overdoing things? That's blasphemy, he created the universe *for* the languages.

• Love
Reactions: After The End, Sweet Release and XYZ
Lost in a Dream

Lost in a Dream

He/him - Metal head
Feb 22, 2020
*gasp*

HOW DID I MISS THIS THREAD?! :ohhhh:

I apologize for bumping a thread that is 3 months old, but I wanted to say that I definitely am a fan (even though I haven't read any of the books or watched the movies in a while). I can still remember the magical moment when I discovered LOTR at the school library when I was just 11 years old. The entire trilogy was inside of a single, massive book with the title and the One Ring on the front cover. It looked so sinister, but yet it was fascinating at the same time.

When I checked it out, it was about a week before Christmas and I couldn't stop reading. The hour long bus rides felt like 10 minutes and I was disappointed when I got to school because I had to put it away and read some more later. I kept reading throughout the 2 weeks off and even received the entire trilogy as a gift from my grandparents, so I could read the books again without having to get them from the school library the next time.

It was after that when my dad became an angry, abusive dick, so when he wasn't around, I would reread them as a coping tool. I read The Hobbit a few years after and loved that one too.

• Love
Reactions: Ness, Brick In The Wall and Sensei
Silver

Silver

The 21st century is when everything changes
Aug 8, 2020
I love the LOTR films. Have watched them literally hundreds of times. I have read the LOTR books several times but can't really get into them, much as I want to.

I liked the book of The Hobbit and initially disliked the film adaptations, but have grown to like them a little bit.

• Love
Reactions: Lost in a Dream, Ness and Brick In The Wall