Green Destiny

Green Destiny

Life isn't worth the trouble.
Nov 16, 2019
I've always enjoyed reading over the years and would like to write a short story. Problem is that 1. I haven't written anything since High School a decade ago and 2. My writing was never good to begin with. I'm not good with grammar, preventing plot holes or making drawn out over descriptive paragraphs and or repeating words every other sentence. Any tips for a real novice would be appreciated.

BlankZeroNone

BlankZeroNone

May 6, 2023
I'm not good with grammar, preventing plot holes or making drawn out over descriptive paragraphs and or repeating words every other sentence.
That's not something you can get good at. Your first draft is going to have all these things regardless of your skill as a writer. They have to be fixed during editing afterwards, so don't worry about them. The first draft is supposed to be trash anyway.

Other than that – just read a bunch of short stories and think about what works and what doesn't and what you enjoy about them. Read a lot and then just start writing.

sometimes.sometimes

sometimes.sometimes

Student
Jun 4, 2023
When you are writing a story, don't spend too much time on it at once. That is how you become bored with your story. If you sense a feeling of boredom, take a break from it for a little bit. Once you are finished with your rough draft and are ready to revise, also take a break from it before the revision. It doesn't need to be too long, just do what is right for you. This, in my opinion, is the most important piece of information to know. (along with believing in yourself and your potential)

When it comes to the grammar aspect, and the other problems you expressed, just remember it is a rough draft. Sometimes, it is hard to take in, but even the best authors out there had to go through a draft phase that didn't look pretty. When it comes to plot holes, you can fix them after the rough draft section. Take note of all of the plot holes, and figure out solutions to those. It may take a while, but it will be worth it! When it also comes to repetitive words, do not worry about it until the revision. When the revision comes along, grab a dictionary or download an extension on your computer that provides you with better, more appropriate words. There are several free computer extensions out there, but be careful with some of the ones you download because they have a hard time understanding context, if that makes sense. When it comes to overly descriptive paragraphs, all I tell you is to take unneeded descriptions out of them. I, too, have a hard time with that.

All in all, if you want a more credible and reliable source, I suggest looking at some articles about Stephen King's advice for writing. I think it would be better to see what a successful and professional writer has to say about writing. If you look up, "How does Stephen King write," you should get some articles.

I hope some of the advice I said helps some, but like I said, rely on people who have been writing for decades since my advice could be inaccurate and harmful.

Believe in yourself! Best of luck! I also apologize for this reply being a tad bit late from your post date. Still, best of luck!

• Informative
Reactions: Green Destiny