TheSoulless

TheSoulless

I'd like to fly but my wings have been so denied
Jan 7, 2020
I dare to call myself a musician, though I'm not a professional. I play multiple instruments, and since I can't decide which one to focus one, I'm destined to play them at an average level.

The thing is that depression has killed music for me. I do play, but it's not that exciting or anything. I just do it. Sometimes I get caught in the moment and it's good. But when I listen to music, it's worse. It doesn't bring out any emotional response whatsoever. It just is there, and I hate that. I'd like to compose about depression or similar subjects, I've tried, but it's too enormous of a task.

So, what's your relationship with music like?

• Hugs
Reactions: K-O, Epsilon0, Brick In The Wall and 1 other person
D

Deleted member 14573

Feb 2, 2020
I started taking violin lessons at a young age. I did not like it initially and thought that my practice sessions were an unendurable chore.

At some point I began to enjoy it and it became an nice outlet. I enjoyed doing things where I could focus my mind and "pour" myself into. This included music, painting and dancing.

It's been 4 years since I have taken my violin out of the case. I still have it but I've lost interest. I feel that I've lost a lot of my skill as well. I have a couple of friends at uni who have gone pretty far with music production (lots of listeners). I'm really happy for them, but I also feel that I am letting my musical talent waste away.

I enjoy listening to music though and it's what I do around 60% of my day (while I study, clean etc). It gets my imagination going and has made my life bearable thus far.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: Life sucks, K-O, TheSoulless and 1 other person
K

kkatt

Paragon
Nov 12, 2018
I guess you could call me a musician in the very losest term. Basically,I have zero skills and steal music from those that do/
I throw together a couple of recorded sets (mostly psytrance) every summer. Because when you go to an event planning to play,but find yourself too wasted to do anything,it comes in handy.

Reactions: TheSoulless and Brick In The Wall
Brick In The Wall

Brick In The Wall

2M Or Not 2B.
Oct 30, 2019
I've played bass guitar for over 10 years and synth keyboards for around 5. I've not been playing as much lately due to a nasty separation and being depressed.

The last thing I was working on was a soundtrack for an indie game I'm making. Hopefully I can gain some of my passion and motivation back here soon.

• Love
Reactions: K-O and TheSoulless
Mr2005

Mr2005

Don't shoot the messenger, give me the gun
Sep 25, 2018
My dad

• Love
Reactions: Brink, K-O, TheSoulless and 1 other person
D

Deleted member 1465

_
Jul 31, 2018
I play the harmonica. Badly. It's actually on my CV. I love the harmonica. Tiny, cheap and can make a noise like a crying angel in the right hands.

waterbottleman

waterbottleman

Not a person
Sep 30, 2019
I played drums when I was growing up for like 8 or so years and took lessons from a professional for many of those years.

Wish I had learned how to sing instead.

But I'm perfectly okay with just appreciating and listening to music other people make. I haven't played drums in a very long time and have no interest in doing so. lost interest when I went to college.

Reactions: TheSoulless and Mr2005
Brick In The Wall

Brick In The Wall

2M Or Not 2B.
Oct 30, 2019
I play the harmonica. Badly. It's actually on my CV. I love the harmonica. Tiny, cheap and can make a noise like a crying angel in the right hands.
I was gifted a very nice harmonica years ago. I kinda wish I'd learned to play it.

D

Deleted member 1465

_
Jul 31, 2018
I was gifted a very nice harmonica years ago. I kinda wish I'd learned to play it.
It's really easy, at least basic stuff. I don't even read music and I can get some cool tunes. Hohner make the best ofc and I'd always favour the simple diatonic harp over the more complex chromatic one with the button. I have a Hohner Blues harp in B flat, but I used to have a lovely sweet Old Standby in A, perfect for country music. :hihi:

Reactions: Brick In The Wall
W

Walilamdzi

Mar 21, 2019
I sing and play guitar and a bit of piano.

Shinbu

Shinbu

Shiki
Nov 23, 2019
I'm a former musician. I played the Clarinet, Guitar, Harmonica, and the Flute once. I was good at Clarinet, and decent with the Harmonica. I lost the urge to play at a certain point, the Flute didn't belong to me, nor did the Clarinet, they belonged to the school back when I was a minor. I was a beginner on the Electric Guitar, so of course I was bad, and since I stopped practicing I didn't get better. Playing music was wonderful.

• Love
Reactions: TheSoulless
J

JustAnotherNumber

May 14, 2020
I recently picked up a guitar and rocksmith. Trying to keep my mind active during this covid bullshit

disabledandhopeless

disabledandhopeless

Enlightened
Mar 1, 2020
Took classical guitar lessons for over 10 years since young, then self learnt the keyboard. But I don't know if I can call myself a Musician since I'm just not good at it.

• Love
T

TimeToBiteTheDust

Visionary
Nov 7, 2019
Here. I play bass, guitar, violin. My preferences are: classical, rock, grunge, jazz,metal. But I can't play like before due to my chronic pain (main ctb reason)

A

AllReturnsToNothing

I'm useless
Aug 5, 2020
I come from a musical family which I guess is one of the only GOOD things my parents passed down to me. I played clarinet for seven years in school and some alto and tenor saxophone on the side. I used to have a real knack for the clarinet and genuinely had a lot of love for it. I guess I still love it but I'm always afraid of taking it out and finding that it needs expensive repairs or that I try to play it and find that I forgot everything I learned.

I'd like to learn how to play the keyboard and dabble in composition but every time I try I just get discouraged and quit.

W

Wisdom3_1-9

he/him/his
Jul 19, 2020
*raises hand*
I was a music professor.
I miss it dearly. My life is empty without music.

Dr Iron Arc

Dr Iron Arc

Into the Unknown
Feb 10, 2020
I took about four years of piano lessons starting from 1st to 5th grade then another six months of it later in 10th grade. I haven't retained much.

When I'm alone driving in my car I like to bust out my kazoo to whatever music is playing. :devil:

Sinai Silence

Sinai Silence

I think I'ma die alone inside my room
Jul 6, 2020
I wish I had the strength to pick up my guitar again but its been so long now.