U

Unununium

Aug 30, 2022
Found this in a self-promotion subreddit while searching for suicide music. The background noises like this weird animal growl or the lamentation sounds are strangely evocative. I also like the constant hammering sound like it's a headache in your brain. Do you guys know of any more weird music like this talking about grief and pain?

S

Someonewhotypes

Feb 15, 2021
Maybe this:

They have german lyrics in this song. Though you could figure what they said by translating.
I think they have more songs in this style, but not necessarily with that "tortured voice"

ManicPanic2018

ManicPanic2018

Night of the final day
Sep 11, 2022
Only thing I can think of that's remotely similar is debatably Sunn O))).

U

Unununium

Aug 30, 2022
I checked out both of these other two. Sunn O))) didn't fit the bill for me, while the German song had some sounds that were quite similar in feeling to the song I found. But then again with the German lyrics, I can't quite get into it because I can't follow along, even if I search for a translation it's not the same. But thanks though!

If anyone can think of any more songs like the one I posted, I'm still curious to check them out.

avoid_slow_death

avoid_slow_death

Ready to embrace the peaceful bliss of the void.
Feb 4, 2020
Oh man, tons of stuff that's dark. Try Coil to start with. Huge catalog of music and almost all of it of a dark nature.

Edit: also, Amber by Autechre is a GREAT album for that type of mood. It's purely instrumental, but heavily dark.

Last edited:
lofticries

lofticries

obedear
Feb 27, 2021

Repulsive's music on youtube has some nice dark ambient vibes. No lyrics though.

U

Unununium

Aug 30, 2022
I finally caught up and checked out all the recommendations here. First of all, thank you! A lot of interesting sounds for sure. Although most of this music is either instrumental, or has lyrics that don't clearly talk about pain or grief, usually being too abstract to understand. Lyrics-wise, I guess I liked the simplicity and directness of that song I found, where the voice just says "my grief is a secret, and I keep it hidden" and other lines that are very grounded in meaning without having to interpret what it might be all about. I can relate to something like that because the meaning is clear. But listening to the lyrics of some of this other music, I wasn't really sure what to make of the meaning, or if I meant anything to me. Still cool stuff though.